Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

kayakyakr posted:

Dang, I missed brisket recipe chat.

For the record, the central Texas way is 50/50 salt/black pepper. If you want to get fancy, you can add in a bit of chili powder and paprika, but I think that's unnecessary.

Smoke it primarily with post oak, adding in fruit woods (love using peach cuttings for extra smoke), or a bit of mesquite or pecan. Using Hickory or Mesquite alone produce bitter, over-smoked beef. Some people swear by Pecan, but I think it's too similar to Hickory. I think beef is more particular about its smoke than most other meats.

I used to produce fantastic brisket on a small weber. Tin filled with water (and sand), charcoal on either side and a deflector to keep the heat indirect. I won't lie: cheating the whole thing with something like a pitmaster IQ takes the weber to the next level.

These days I use a BGE, which I can get to a stable temp without a controller at all. Add in the pitmaster and it's rock solid for 14+ hours. Thinking about upgrading (or may be forced to upgrade) to a flameboss 500.

Big agree here - the hickory/mesquite is just if you are getting an hour or two of smoke and finishing in the oven, as op was asking about. I use the BGE with a pitboss and usually just throw a hunk of mesquite in with some oak or, better yet, apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Asleep Style posted:

Ill probably always feel like Huepel was a great OC just because he was succeeded by Derek Dooley

Heupel got fired from Oklahoma for his poor offense. He's definitely a fraud that has benefited from previous coaches and elite talent. I honestly can't remember another coach Stoops fired in his 17 year tenure so that should tell you. Admittedly when 90% of those seasons were 11 or 12 win seasons it's hard to shake up a staff even when it's needed.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AlabamaFTBL/status/1352398267968090114

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn filled out its staff today with Memphis's ILB coach (taking OLB and ST here), a former MWC opponent of Harsin as Fresno's DC. Wound up with a pretty even balance of SEC vets, Harsin's guys, Auburn alums and G5 up-and-comers.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

BOB be brilliant at Alabama for one year before he goes back to head coach in the NFL

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

lol Jesus Christ just reloading at OC every loving year w a 5* three deep

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

LeeMajors posted:

lol Jesus Christ just reloading at OC every loving year w a 5* three deep

It's like scrolling through the team selection on an NCAA football video game until you find an A+ rating, except when you win someone offers you a head coaching gig somewhere.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

soggybagel posted:

Well when you put it that way he's loving cool.

Also lets start a Trump for Pac-12 commissioner rumor.

people have already seriously suggested condi rice lol

e: BOB is a doofus but his playcalling was the least of his issues and he's definitely a better coordinator than mike locksley so they're probably fine until he gets the syracuse job or whatever

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

o’brien’s gonna do fine at bama and then texas is gonna realize that they just hired another guy that’s gonna win 8 games every year and never get over the hump

but at least they’ll stand for the eyes of texas

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

perhaps texas is just yet another historically-great program that is intrinsically incapable of thriving under the structural realities of modern college football, like Yale or SMU or Nebraska

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 22, 2021

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

NickRoweFillea posted:

oh gently caress i forgot about josh heupel, oh no

This is exactly what I thought when everyone was singing Danny White's praises. "But wasn't he the guy that hired Josh Heupel?". Hopefully he has another Heupel-like hire in him :)

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHA. I think this might put Bama out of playoff contention next year. loving BoB as offensive coordinator!? :psyduck:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

DrunkPanda posted:

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHA. I think this might put Bama out of playoff contention next year. loving BoB as offensive coordinator!? :psyduck:

buddy, i assure you Alabama is winning 15 games next year and the kids who play QB and RB1 for them are both finishing in the top-5 of Heisman voting

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't think he's allowed to trade bryce young for a fullback so they're probably okay

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Alabama is basically self-perpetuating at this point and the idea that the employment or loss of any coach not named Saban will materially affect them isn’t worth hoping for

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

DrunkPanda posted:

He's genuinely a lot better than some of the other coaches that have through rehabilitation there. It's the GM part he's egregiously bad at.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is there anything I need to know about this guy or is

PupsOfWar posted:

buddy, i assure you Alabama is winning 15 games next year and the kids who play QB and RB1 for them are both finishing in the top-5 of Heisman voting

just going to happen regardless? I’d be fine with that.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Warbird posted:

Is there anything I need to know about this guy or is

just going to happen regardless? I’d be fine with that.

He's a good offensive play caller and can coach. He absolutely should not be trusted with maintaining a roster and general manager duties. Fortunately the latter doesn't apply to college football. I have no idea how he will be as a recruiter. When you win a natty every other year it probably doesn't matter. Overall he's a good hire and his major weakness has no bearing as a cfb coach. Even if he isn't Alabama has shown that the only coach that actually matters is Saban himself. He never has the same coaching staff year in year out and still always wins.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Saban is hands down the most important factor in the success of that program. Bill O Brien recruited fine at a crippled PSU, I'm sure he'll do fine in Tuscaloosa with all that support. Plus despite the team sucking as the QB coach, Watson has been very good.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
the gm stuff was worse but a lot of that stemmed from how awful he is at managing a locker room which is an important part of coaching. I would not hire him as a head coach (though I'm guessing someone will soon) but he's probably fine as an assistant.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

He had some recruiting problems at PSU that were beyond the sanctions, mainly related to deficiencies at certain positions. In retrospect, this is obviously because he's not great at roster management. But, he did have a battered team punching above its weight.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

BoB imploded Houston by being stunningly bad at personnel and by being permitted to exercise personnel authority by inattentive owners, not by being particularly bad at X's and O's

even if he had been a particularly bad offensive playcaller in the NFL, there is no reason to believe he is so incompetent that he would fail to out-scheme baby defenses in college, particularly given Alabama's huge talent advantage over virtually everyone they could play.

Note that Alabama's recent (quite successful!) OCs include two guys that also got bounced out of the NFL!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Apropos of nothing, there still is a lot of back office strangeness going on with Texans and the people they employ. Like their Chaplain having a large role even though he has no idea what is going on. I think he will be fine at Alabama though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

PupsOfWar posted:

BoB imploded Houston by being stunningly bad at personnel and by being permitted to exercise personnel authority by inattentive owners, not by being particularly bad at X's and O's

even if he had been a particularly bad offensive playcaller in the NFL, there is no reason to believe he is so incompetent that he would fail to out-scheme baby defenses in college, particularly given Alabama's huge talent advantage over virtually everyone they could play.

Note that Alabama's recent (quite successful!) OCs include two guys that also got bounced out of the NFL!

To be fair it does seem like Daboll might actually be pretty good

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

KKKLIP ART posted:

Apropos of nothing, there still is a lot of back office strangeness going on with Texans and the people they employ. Like their Chaplain having a large role even though he has no idea what is going on. I think he will be fine at Alabama though.

The Texans job is absolutely toxic now and it turns out BoB may have only been the third or fourth most toxic person in the organization.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Texans job is absolutely toxic now and it turns out BoB may have only been the third or fourth most toxic person in the organization.

i'm pretty sure he's the one who brought in jock joel osteen though

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
It's hard to say from a quick re-skim of the article but it seems like that might have been more noted dipshit failson Cal's thing

That Cal McNair recently basically said "Easterby's staying, deal with it" reinforces that I think. He's clearly gonna ride him to the bottom and there's no reason for him to do that if it was a BoB thing.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

fast cars loose anus posted:

He's clearly gonna ride him to the bottom and there's no reason for him to do that if it was a BoB thing.

Doesn't sound becoming for a man of the cloth

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

MourningView posted:

i'm pretty sure he's the one who brought in jock joel osteen though

I wasn’t sure of that. I thought it was the GM or owner or whatever that did that

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
well he was basically the gm

Easterby came from the Patriots and I think he and BoB overlapped there, there were a bunch of very funny in hindsight tweets and articles about how important easterby was to The Patriot Way and how huge a loss it would be from the same people who try to sound like Serious Football Knowers by pushing matthew slater as a future hall of famer and poo poo like that

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/brentdougherty/status/1352781208334307329?s=20

Thanks Brent

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

#breaking

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

what about saban

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Declan MacManus posted:

what about saban

You joke but I’ve seen “White’s been told money isn’t an issue. Offer Saban 30 mil a year and make him say no” several times.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Not that it was going to happen, but Kiffin leaving a job after one year to go back to a job he left after one year sure would have been something.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Kiffin might survive in Oxford, but it is really difficult to see how he would distinguish himself in the SEC these days to the point that he gets another AAA offer. And with Ole Miss paying top dollar anyway, does it much matter?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Is Tennessee today a better job than Ole Miss?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Not that it was going to happen, but Kiffin leaving a job after one year to go back to a job he left after one year sure would have been something.

him winning 9 games and then loving off back to usc for a second time would just be [chef’s kiss]

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Is Tennessee today a better job than Ole Miss?

While I don't think Tennessee is a blue-chip job today, Tennessee is absolutely a better job than Ole Miss. You have to be Cheatin' to recruit the classes at Ole Miss that a good recruiter can get at Tennessee.

Tennessee is just SEC Michigan change my mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Godzilla07 posted:

While I don't think Tennessee is a blue-chip job today, Tennessee is absolutely a better job than Ole Miss. You have to be Cheatin' to recruit the classes at Ole Miss that a good recruiter can get at Tennessee.

Tennessee is just SEC Michigan change my mind

Spurrier said "You can't spell Citrus without UT" and it is one of the deadliest owns ever uttered.