Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Cards are much easier to use than cash if you're illiterate/don't speak the language.

The tray in Japan is excellent. No one dropping paper money/receipt into your hand and then dumping coins on top if everything just goes into the tray. Sit down restaurants in Greece use it, and I think they had it at the grocery store too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Back in the cursed year, my ex-girlfriend's eternally BWM sister decided to use her stimmy money to change careers. By which I mean she took the money and literally shoved it up her rear end in the form of buying butt implants and then trying to become an influencer or something.

It was to no one's surprise that this did not work out.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM
Are q-anon conspiracy theorists fair game?

edit: yeah i tend to agree

Verus fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 19, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
that shits just depressing imo

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So I'm not really sure if this fits here, but there is a thing going on with Gamestop stock right now.

Basically, a bunch of institutions are shorting the gently caress out of GME. This clearly makes a lot of sense because Gamestop is pretty much a failing business. However, by "shorting the gently caress out of GME" I mean, they are shorting so many shares that they are borrowing shares from other people who are also shorting shares, so there are actually more shorted shares out there floating around than shares that actually exist.

Enter Wallstreetbets. A couple high profile gamblers have bought thousands of shares of GME, and are encouraging everyone else to buy to squeeze out the short sellers. So of course everyone on WSB is going crazy for this, and GME has actually boosted pretty high.

One of these groups has gotta be BWM.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 19, 2021

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
It's both of them, OP.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Elysium posted:

So I'm not really sure if this fits here, but there is a thing going on with Gamestop stock right now.

Basically, a bunch of institutions are shorting the gently caress out of GME. This clearly makes a lot of sense because Gamestop is pretty much a failing business. However, by "shorting the gently caress out of GME" I mean, they are shorting so many shares that they are borrowing shares from other people who are also shorting shares, so there are actually more shorted shares out there floating around than shares that actually exist.

Enter Wallstreetbets. A couple high profile gamblers have bought thousands of shares of GME, and are encouraging everyone else to buy to squeeze out the short sellers. So of course everyone on WSB is going crazy for this, and GME has actually boosted pretty high.

I posted in here the other day about a former coworker who had put his entire roth IRA into GME. Today he sent me a screed with a bunch of stuff straight out of WSB, claiming the fair market value for GME is $60 and I should get in now for an easy 50% return

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Asleep Style posted:

I posted in here the other day about a former coworker who had put his entire roth IRA into GME. Today he sent me a screed with a bunch of stuff straight out of WSB, claiming the fair market value for GME is $60 and I should get in now for an easy 50% return

Was your reaction similar to how Killer Mike looks in you avatar?

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

obi_ant posted:

Was your reaction similar to how Killer Mike looks in you avatar?

quote:

U pushed the spring down, so when it was let go it popped up. As opposed to pushing so hard u thought u could break it

Excellent analogy honestly

Nobody has ever pushed on a spring as hard as GME.

And they are getting tired so they are going to have to let go

Spring should be sitting at rest at a certain height. But it's compressed. That certain height is 60/share. Thats why I'm saying it's low risk regardless of the squeeze

I need to post the spring analogy on WSB lol

Never let anyone tell you that an engineering degree makes you smart

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I guarantee you it was not worth even the stimmy money.

Elysium posted:

I get the feeling that the people shorting gamestop aren't going to get a call from a broker telling them that they need to put in more cash or gtfo over just this. The "TO THE MOON!!!" Investors will see the original pumpers become dumpers, realize they were fleeced, and try to get out before they're the ones holding the bag. It's entirely possible that the short sellers will make out even better by being able to buy stock for less than the expected current value just to turn around and resell it in a couple weeks, or make good their existing shorts and make their profits directly.

E: I'm going to laugh if it turns out one of the short sellers conned WSB into doing this.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 20, 2021

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Phanatic posted:

Counterpoint: At the grocery store yesterday I witnessed a guy paying for his groceries at the self-checkout scanner with coins.

And I don't mean like he struck me as some poor guy who'd gone through the couch cushions to find enough spare change to afford a packet of ramen, I mean he had a normal-sized load of normal groceries and was paying for it by feeding like $60 in coins one coin at a time into the slot. Wasn't just quarters, either.

I do this to get rid of loose change floating around the house, I acknowledge is might make me look crazy though.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Phanatic posted:

I mean he had a normal-sized load of normal groceries and was paying for it by feeding like $60 in coins one coin at a time into the slot. Wasn't just quarters, either.

Dude needs to learn how to make a funnel with one hand and dump the coins in with the other.

The coinstar machines here give out gift cards to places like Applebee's, hotels.com, and a donut chain that left the state 12 years ago. The closest location is 225 miles away.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

MisterOblivious posted:

The coinstar machines here give out gift cards to places like Applebee's, hotels.com, and a donut chain that left the state 12 years ago. The closest location is 225 miles away.

I think there's one here that will give you bitcoin.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

I do this to get rid of loose change floating around the house, I acknowledge is might make me look crazy though.

There's a few bank branches in my city with coin counting machines so I just visit those when my spare change container gets full.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

The junk collector posted:

My wife rolls her eyes every time I crack a joke about using them to make your loose change more inconvenient.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The junk collector posted:

The ones near me will give out buttcoins but they also give out Amazon gift cards so guess what everyone uses?

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/business-consultant-washington-dc-salary-money-diary

quote:

Today: a project manager who has a joint income of $118,000 and spends some of her money this week on a rose gold MacBook Air.
Industry: Business Consulting
Salary: around $45,000 (this is an estimate)
My Husband's Salary: $73,000
Net Worth: -$131,000 (Assets: car worth approximately $7,000, seven guitars worth approximately $5,000 (my husband always tells me these are assets and part of a retirement plan as "guitars only go up in value once you start buying nice ones."), savings: $19,000 Debt: $162,000) — My husband and I combined finances shortly after getting married, so everything goes into one joint account. We run big purchases past each other, but other than that, we're pretty autonomous because our money philosophies closely align.
Debt: My student loans: $19,756.98, My husband's law school loans: $142,000
My Paycheck Amount (1x/month): $3,750 (no taxes, health insurance, etc. are taken out. Even when I was full time, the company didn't do any of this.)
My Husband's Paycheck (biweekly): $2,111.99 (after taxes, benefits, etc.)
Pronouns: She/her

Monthly Expenses
Rent: $2,150 (includes utilities, going up to $2,300 in February)
Storage/Parking: $160 (going up to $225 in February)
Monthly Loan Payments: Varies, currently we're doing $0 on mine and $2,000 on my husband's because his loans gain so much more in interest
Cell Phone: $102.07 (includes internet and minutes)
Health, Vision, Dental Insurance: $497 (this includes health, dental, and vision for my husband, myself, and our baby, all through my husband's work.)
iCloud and Apple Music: $19.99
Netflix: $14.99
Disney+: $33/year (split with my parents)
Amazon Prime: $119/year
Car and Renters Insurance: $11
Internet: $127(reduced to $81 next month)
Son's 529: $50
Retirement: $150 (right now this just goes into savings)
Peloton: $65.07 for bike and app
NYT: $1/week
Childcare: $0 (We're rocking that no childcare life during the pandemic, which allows us to put a lot of extra money into loans while taking precautions that we're comfortable with)

Imagine paying six figures to go to law school and the only job you can get pays not nearly enough to ever pay off your loans and it’s “consulting” so they will work you to death with billable hours. Oh and it’s a private sector job so no PSLF.

grenada fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 22, 2021

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Rock that guitar equity

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

other than the guitars-as-retirement it seems pretty run of the mill for underpaid overeducated DC people. In fairness I know a lot of these people so I've probably normalized a thing that is fundamentally not great.

I think laxbro misinterpreted slightly: he is the underpaid lawyer, she is the vastly underpaid "project manager consultant" - that seems low for most of the firms I know even in horribly underpaid sub-tier DC consulting land. Either title's out of wack or the pay is, and based on her day-to-day it doesn't seem like she is horribly overworked, so I'm leaning to mistitle. Although LOL at getting a masters to be a "PM consultant" at 45k, she should absolutely be job hunting and assuming she is reasonably good she should have no problem doubling pay in DC.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Although LOL at getting a masters to be a "PM consultant" at 45k, she should absolutely be job hunting and assuming she is reasonably good she should have no problem doubling pay in DC.

45k as a 1099 “PM Consultant,” based on that little aside about how her employer just doesn’t take any taxes out of her paycheck.

She is either working a very limited schedule (reasonable, as a working mom with a brand new baby!) or horribly underpaid (sadly, much more likely).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ha, I missed that, good catch.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I want to know how they're only paying $11/mo for car AND rental insurance. Thought maybe they were just had the car in storage but the full article makes it clear it isn't.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

nm. I can't read.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Asleep Style posted:

I was going to put in here that it just hit 56, but I refreshed and now it’s at 59, actually history say it hit 60 for a moment. 61. 62.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 22, 2021

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I bought like 1.5 shares of GME at like $41/share just for fun and bc that Citron guy is super cringey and I just want to be a tiny part of him getting owned

GME currently at $72 hmbo

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Lol back down to 60 after trading was halted several
times for volatility.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Elysium posted:

I was going to put in here that it just hit 56, but I refreshed and now it’s at 59, actually history say it hit 60 for a moment. 61. 62.

Apparently he dumped the calls two days ago and is just sick about the missed returns there. Still holding all his shares and trying to convince me to dump my Roth in GME for an even bigger short squeeze

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/crime/teen-charged-with-stealing-980k-from-kroger/85-dc4a103e-fee1-4bf5-ac3d-7f8132d5b4b5

Someone here is most def bad with money and im not sure who https://twitter.com/13wmaznews/status/1352312529800851460?s=20

quote:

The returns, Flynn said, ranged in price from $75 to more than $87,000.

quote:

Flynn said that investigators were able to determine that Brown purchased clothes, guns, shoes, and two vehicles with the money.

Before he was arrested, Flynn said, Brown totaled one of the vehicles.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Read the story, it's amazing. He did this when the person who monitored returns was on vacation, and they apparently didn't have a backup. He managed to do a single return for $87,000 at a grocery store; I'm not sure how that didn't set off sirens on the phone of every manager in the area code.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

if he buys a lambo

Is it now a Kroger lambo

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

quote:

charged with theft by taking
Amazing, I guess they couldn't just call it "theft"

Dude stole almost a million dollars over only two weeks?! What was his plan to get away with this?!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
When I worked retail there was this obnoxious dude who was skimming the registers via a gift card scam. Hey, we're underpaid and it's not my money, who cares?
Except the 3 or 4 months they were trying to figure it out were awful, because they made our lives difficult putting in extra security measures, random counts, and procedures that kept us after close more often.
His mom was a manager there, so when he was caught he was only fired instead of turned over to the cops.
He had the pikachu surprised face on when he came in to the store to visit all his old co-worker pals, and nobody wanted to see him. You were annoying and you made our jobs harder, go away forever.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Kenshin posted:

Dude stole almost a million dollars over only two weeks?! What was his plan to get away with this?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceijkZQI1HM

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Kenshin posted:

If you steal enough you can get a pardon!

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
There was a lady who worked on customer services when I was in retail and when a customer brought back a return she would process the refund twice, once to the customer and once onto her own card (which she shouldn’t have had on her person obvs).

It was back in the 90s so even though it was the largest food retailer in the UK we didn’t have the IT or automated systems that are around today which pick these things up and alert you. She managed to have Ł20k away before being caught.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Midjack posted:

Read the story, it's amazing. He did this when the person who monitored returns was on vacation, and they apparently didn't have a backup. He managed to do a single return for $87,000 at a grocery store; I'm not sure how that didn't set off sirens on the phone of every manager in the area code.

Struggling to even think of what you can buy for $87k in a grocery store

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Not a Children posted:

Struggling to even think of what you can buy for $87k in a grocery store

I assume it's this:

quote:

A police report said that some of the transactions involved lottery "redemption codes."

But I don't know what those are.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Ya I'd like to return these scratchy lottos cause they're losers.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Motronic posted:

I assume it's this:

But I don't know what those are.

If you buy a winning ticket, some grocery stores will let you redeem them at the store, and because winnings are variable, they’ll usually just have one code that requires the clerk to input the amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MildShow posted:

If you buy a winning ticket, some grocery stores will let you redeem them at the store, and because winnings are variable, they’ll usually just have one code that requires the clerk to input the amount.

Oh well poo poo.......and he was doing this at a kiosk?