Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

This is a great time to get comfortable with the game since we're in a bit of a lull before the next set of content drops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

hazardousmouse posted:

You'll know you're screwed if you start doing pvp

The exclusive fashion attract the most desperate, eventually.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

AccountSupervisor posted:

Im screwed arent I?
There are a few approaches i've seen that playing the game with can make you miserable in the long run. If you can avoid those "compulsive" mindsets and keep a healthy attitude about it you can go far and avoid burnout pretty decently.

I don't think there's a way to get around the shared frustration over the devs leaving untapped potential on the table and making regular boneheaded mistakes over and over, but that doesn't stop most of the (overwhelming? amount of) stuff in the game so far from being fun to play around with.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

I hosed around with this game on Switch probably a year ago and had fun but was kinda clueless to everything going on from all the systems to the lore, etc.

I recently started playing on PC, took the time to watch some beginners guide and understand all the various systems I have access to right now.

Everything has finally clicked for me and I feel like I actually "get" this game now, at least these early stages and I am absolutely captivated by this game now...Im only on Phobos and just did my first Archwing mission which was such an amazing experience to do for the first time with some friends who are also new.

Ive been playing every day, even squeezing in an hour before I start work. This game is loving awesome.

Im screwed arent I?

If you enjoy the core gameplay loop and can meaningfully advance at your accepted pace without burning out (i.e., doing a mission cos it's fun rather than NSO to wave8 for 5 days straight because you need a khora) then yes, yes you are.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Thanks for the encouraging words!

I can def feel a little burnout from this initial rush of "holy poo poo this rules" for the first two weeks but now that I kind of see the path forward its a bit easier to pace myself.

Currently Im gunning for The Second Dream quest. Ive had a lot of players tell me to try and get to it ASAP (and The War Within) as theyre the big story quests that sort of set up the larger narrative and they say from there its a lot easier to understand a ton of the other poo poo the game is throwing at you from a "world" standpoint and therefore a bit funner to engage in the rest of the stuff going on.

Like I did the first Heart of Deimos quest at The Cambian Drift and had absolutely no idea what was happening, who I was talking to or why. I also was pretty clueless doing the Nightwave Glass Maker seasonal stuff.

I like reading wikis but would prefer to discover the world through the game. Assuming its sort of part of the games nature that it doesnt explain jack poo poo unless you dig?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Currently Im gunning for The Second Dream quest. Ive had a lot of players tell me to try and get to it ASAP (and The War Within) as theyre the big story quests that sort of set up the larger narrative and they say from there its a lot easier to understand a ton of the other poo poo the game is throwing at you from a "world" standpoint and therefore a bit funner to engage in the rest of the stuff going on.

Nah.

You just can't be guided along the efficient route until it's finished. It unlocks a bunch of things.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Thanks for the encouraging words!

I can def feel a little burnout from this initial rush of "holy poo poo this rules" for the first two weeks but now that I kind of see the path forward its a bit easier to pace myself.

Like I did the first Heart of Deimos quest at The Cambian Drift and had absolutely no idea what was happening, who I was talking to or why. I also was pretty clueless doing the Nightwave Glass Maker seasonal stuff.

I like reading wikis but would prefer to discover the world through the game. Assuming its sort of part of the games nature that it doesnt explain jack poo poo unless you dig?

Warframe's lore is genuinely fantastic but a lot of is good specifically because how later stuff recontextualizes things you did or that happened to you earlier. I wouldn't say there's any rush unless you really hate being confused about what's going on (in which case go ahead and rush because the storyline does open up that dimension of the game pretty dramatically.)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I still don't understand most of the story. It's very strange.

Don't feel obligated to play the game any particular way. I took forever getting through the main quests because I was having fun leveling guns and running basic missions. It was fine. Also, don't feel obligated to use the gear that everyone recommends (looking at you rhino and hek!!). I beat most of the star chart with khora and atlas because they were fun.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've played this game for 4 years and I'm not sure I do either

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Hek and Rhino are the best newbie gear and tools every player should have at their disposal until they've unlocked things that do their jobs better.

You don't have to use them, but they really help evening out bullshit difficulty curve shifts.

Also the story isn't very complex once you got everything unlocked. That'll take you at least a few hundred hours. Until then you're looking at disconnected bits and pieces.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I would say the recent story revisions are pretty okay, but there was a definite point in time where DE wanted to tell the story through events, and later built blocks and relationships over things that happened one of years ago with no way to replay it, and its not modernized at all.

The story's great, but its the recent stories that make it what it is.

Everything else is like, hm.

Y'ever wonder why Alad has voice lines about calling the tenno betrayers, but you get to him/those voice lines (in disruption modes, iirc?) first without doing the thing he's referencing? (intentionally vague in case of spoilers)

its sorta like that. Leaving the player wondering what happened when, really, you're just jumping the line to later content built on older.

Thats a strenght and weakness of the play-in-your-own-direction-and-pace starchart system.

if you're playing casually, the best advice I can give you early on is to pick a pair of syndicates (it doesn't matter really, just go with the ones you like; you can swap later 'freely' with a little time investment): having your foot in a snydicate door is a good way to get small amounts of low-hastle plat just for playing, which in turn translates to slots or catalysts/potatos when you need it, all for the low price of throwing an affiliating decal on your back and forgetting about it as you play.
(Goons can help with the mild hastle of level up tributes)

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

TheParadigm posted:

if you're playing casually, the best advice I can give you early on is to pick a pair of syndicates (it doesn't matter really, just go with the ones you like; you can swap later 'freely' with a little time investment): having your foot in a snydicate door is a good way to get small amounts of low-hastle plat just for playing, which in turn translates to slots or catalysts/potatos when you need it, all for the low price of throwing an affiliating decal on your back and forgetting about it as you play.
(Goons can help with the mild hastle of level up tributes)

:frogsiren: Do not pick Red Veil/Steel Meridian unless you're sure. :frogsiren:

Now it'll no longer lock out key gear but it's still annoying.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

:frogsiren: Do not pick Red Veil/Steel Meridian unless you're sure. :frogsiren:

Now it'll no longer lock out key gear but it's still annoying.

Okay, lol, this is something I missed. I presume they fixed it, but what did DE gently caress up?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

TheParadigm posted:

Okay, lol, this is something I missed. I presume they fixed it, but what did DE gently caress up?

Perrin/Loka and Hexis/Suda form pairs that feed each other and allow you to unlock a third syndicate.

Veil/Meridian doesn't, it locks away all four others if you do the dailies... and it used to lock you out of the good Squad Energy Restore recipe. Now there's a better Squad Energy Restore recipe from dojo, but that was added Feb 2020.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

TheParadigm posted:

Y'ever wonder why Alad has voice lines about calling the tenno betrayers, but you get to him/those voice lines (in disruption modes, iirc?) first without doing the thing he's referencing? (intentionally vague in case of spoilers)

You already did the thing he's referencing.

He calls Tenno betrayers because they collectively betrayed the Orokin, hundreds of years ago.

A new player stepping into Disruption for the first time might not know that yet, but like half of Alad's entire shtick is "I know something you don't know, neener neener neener!", so it's entirely in character.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 22, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

endlessmonotony posted:

Perrin/Loka and Hexis/Suda form pairs that feed each other and allow you to unlock a third syndicate.

Veil/Meridian doesn't, it locks away all four others if you do the dailies... and it used to lock you out of the good Squad Energy Restore recipe. Now there's a better Squad Energy Restore recipe from dojo, but that was added Feb 2020.

Hence the normal "standard" is Hexis/Suda/Meridian or Perrin/Loka/Veil.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Warframe lore in a nutshell: Power Rangers, but Zordon is a MILF in violet BDSM gear and then everything turns into Evangelion with the pedarasty replaced with microtransactions.

There's also a crappy sitcom and a cyberpunk Dickens story as well.

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 22, 2021

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

That whole quest chain (and another one after it, in a worse late-episodes-of-twin-peaks way) is definitely something you want to hit asap. Not just because it's the best :aaaaa: content they've done, or because it unlocks everything, but most importantly so that you don't accidentally get spoiled on it. These days the cat is generally considered to be out of the bag so it's easy to get casually spoiled by streams and whatnot. Seeing it completely organically with no idea wtf was wonderful.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Ok, get ready I'm gonna spoil the entire warframe story.

The Orokin did some hosed up poo poo and now everything is hosed.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Re confusion: It's important to keep in mind that certain characters were introduced in time limited events that aren't in the game anymore. So them feeling like they come out nowhere isn't you, that's DE making weird choices (like never bringing those events back).

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Also, don't feel obligated to use the gear that everyone recommends (looking at you rhino and hek!!). I beat most of the star chart with khora and atlas because they were fun.
There's really no obligation, people just usually point to those because they're very easy and fast to pick up and solve a few early game problems (like survivability or single target damage). I love khora and atlas and they're great, but they also took me a LOT longer to get.

But yes, generally for 98.8% of the game you can bring anything wherever and be alright (at worst a bit slower). There's a few exceptions, but for those your team should be discussing who does what anyway.

For lore and story i'd say that's fine. It'll take you a while and you might want to replay quests to remember details because the usual progression is spread out over hundreds of hours.

For game mechanics (or the common simple "how to get X at all/efficiently") the game often explains things poorly, not at all, or at worst in outdated descriptions that are straight up wrong, so usually you learn more specific stuff in warframe in one of two ways:
1. the hard way by wasting a bunch of time and effort to realize that intuitive assumptions were, once again, wrong.
2. by asking someone who already learned it the hard way (this is where clanchat, discord and the pretty good wikis come into play).

Learning how to skip 1. and go straight to 2. is one of the earliest warframe skills to discover. As an example, the MR30 challenge, which people usually take after 2000+ hours of playtime, is called "survival", but the rules it works on are not the same as the common "survival" mode in the game and using learned strategies can actively hinder you.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 22, 2021

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
orphix dropped on ps4. I assume the other consoles as well. Based on how many cells I got from the intro missions and how much things in the shop cost, well, at least my rigs and their weapons will get maxxed out before I get near the end of purchased equipment

RoadCrewWorker posted:

As an example, the MR30 challenge, which people usually take after 2000+ hours of playtime, is called "survival", but the rules it works on are not the same as the common "survival" mode in the game and using learned strategies can actively hinder you.

Really? You think so? It was "mulch a shitload of enemies and smash an air pod" for five waves. Pretty much survival. The hardest part was not falling off the sides

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 22, 2021

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

hazardousmouse posted:

Really? You think so? It was "mulch a shitload of enemies and smash an air pod" for five waves. Pretty much survival. The hardest part was not falling off the sides

The minibosses needing to be killed and the waves not advancing until you hit the air pod aren't explained anywhere. You actively seek the air pod regardless of current air, whereas in actual survival the pods might as well not exist because (at the stage where you're MR30) you kill everything so fast they don't matter.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

hazardousmouse posted:

five waves. Pretty much survival.
First time i hear PS4 has killcount wave-based "survival" with completely different air conduit spawn rules. On PC you basically never touch air stations unless things have gone completely to hell.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 22, 2021

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Hope is a suckers bet with this game, but drat it would be nice if they'd do a live launch of Wraithe on next weeks dev stream..

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Sounds like y'all didn't take a practice go at MR30

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Wife wants to hop back into Warframe again for a bit. Got a Rhino/Hek/Atomos combo with OK mods, but she started struggling a bit around Uranus and is just up to Second Dream, which is obviously the next priority, but given the difficulty jump I was wondering: is there a good newish beginners guide that can cover what to do around that point in the game to get stronger? Between everything new in the game I’m not sure what the ideal progression and must-have weapons and mods are now in the early game. We both last played around the Venus open world release.

I built a new PC and have a well-modded Excal Umbra so I can carry to a certain extent, but obviously that won’t help in the quest.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Rob Rockley posted:

Wife wants to hop back into Warframe again for a bit. Got a Rhino/Hek/Atomos combo with OK mods, but she started struggling a bit around Uranus and is just up to Second Dream, which is obviously the next priority, but given the difficulty jump I was wondering: is there a good newish beginners guide that can cover what to do around that point in the game to get stronger? Between everything new in the game I’m not sure what the ideal progression and must-have weapons and mods are now in the early game. We both last played around the Venus open world release.

I built a new PC and have a well-modded Excal Umbra so I can carry to a certain extent, but obviously that won’t help in the quest.

Valkyr is just sitting like right there (Alad on Jupiter drops the parts) and will probably solve most of her killing stuff and living to tell about it problems IMO because I found that the hell psycho frame that could go literally invulnerable at will and tear everything apart with her bare hands and also heal to full while ripping somethings face off made quite a difference in many of the early parts of the game. Get hunters adrenaline from Cetus quests and be careful about walking into bubbles.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

hazardousmouse posted:

Sounds like y'all didn't take a practice go at MR30
I always do and have never failed a MR test, which was exactly the point of my "dont trust Warframe" example. Good job, you finally found it

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

Valkyr is just sitting like right there (Alad on Jupiter drops the parts) and will probably solve most of her killing stuff and living to tell about it problems IMO because I found that the hell psycho frame that could go literally invulnerable at will and tear everything apart with her bare hands and also heal to full while ripping somethings face off made quite a difference in many of the early parts of the game. Get hunters adrenaline from Cetus quests and be careful about walking into bubbles.

Thanks, that is a real good suggestion. Valkyr is one of my own faves (granted I've barely been playing the past couple years), and I should have a spare hunters adrenaline myself, which is practically a must-have mod IIRC. Rhino is great but nullifiers and energy problems are a big deal in the early game. We'll go murder Alad a few times and start that cookin.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Uranus/Neptune was where I mostly realised I needed a few fused up mods instead of 8 base level ones. But also around the time where Hek can start to flag depending on how you use it and stuff. With shield-gating it might be even worse against the corpus soon for her. Some of it does depend on what struggling means, too. Survivablity is greatly increased by being in motion more. Uranus is also very much the point where a potato makes a meaningful difference, IIRC.

Things that can help : Consumables! Hotkey those team restores for health and mana potions! If she's staying with Rhino, 3 is a good damage boost and 4 is good CC. Also you can activate 2 while being shot up to greatly increase the final value of the iron skin. Farming up parts from relics (and/or trading for them) for prime gear gives you stuff with a lot more polarities innate to the weapon, often greatly increasing the power without having to go through a forma-ing grind.

And, melee weapons are currently kind of OP, so finding one that feels good to use helps. Like a bleeding willow polearm or something for just quickly blending enemies that get in your face.

EDIT : And of course, EZ mode solution : Get her Mesa or Mesa Prime. Be basically invulnerable and kill everything your cursor wafts over.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
For modding frames one of my biggest leaps early in the game was getting a few decent corrupted vault mods. Being able to trade a dump stat for more efficiency or range opened up a lot of frame abilities, especially before i had later-game energy sources available.

But even then, Uranus is a pretty annoying part of the progression with a rather finnicky tileset, and some of the quests there aren't much better (like that mandatory 20 wave defense on the tile where enemies get stuck constantly). Definitely coop as much of it as possible and hope your teammates know their ways around.

Rob Rockley posted:

but obviously that won’t help in the quest.
I'd also suggest not hesitating to look up a wiki (while avoiding story spoilers, obviously) for minibosses DE puts in quests if your'e getting stuck at them. They're shamefully bad at telegraphing their mechanics or weakpoints and sometimes can just bug out entirely. Often they're not particularly complex or tricky, just rough to grasp intuitively on a blind attempt.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 22, 2021

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Well, 55 minutes, a full 36 orphices, 2000 funbucks, 1 cedo bit, and 1 lavos bit for my first real endurance run. Not bad, I think?

edit: yeah i agree, particularly very early on we spent more time waiting than murdering

what's a good way to recover health for your mech? Just that one mod?

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 22, 2021

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Seems good to me. Can't really make the runs faster, sadly.

EDIT : A terminal with a button that said Lure Oprhix if you didn't need as much time to travel or recover would be kind of nice. As there's only 3 rooms they spawn in anyway.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Yeah, doesn't really get a lot faster than that. There are a few tricks, like wallhacking the defense nodes with the Fluctus. Actually there is one trick.

Orv
May 4, 2011

hazardousmouse posted:

Well, 55 minutes, a full 36 orphices, 2000 funbucks, 1 cedo bit, and 1 lavos bit for my first real endurance run. Not bad, I think?

edit: yeah i agree, particularly very early on we spent more time waiting than murdering

The only mech health recovery is Bonewindow 1, Necramech Repair and Combat Discipline the aura mod which counts all kills in mechs and counts all mechs as allies. Unless they finally nuked Combat Discipline which there's a solid chance of them having done.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

hazardousmouse posted:

Repair mod is very useful and combos well with Rage, Bonewidows 1 does well with scaling enemies, and combat discipline (if the aura is still bugged like it was on the PC and doesnt affect your HP in the mech).

And yes, orphix spawns are on a fixed timer.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
You either use Storm Shield on the base corncob quite aggressively and if your mech pops, dash around meleeing the nodes while other people do the Oprhix, or just put a enemy on your meathook as Bonewidow and never care again (if you have Mech armour mod)

EDIT : The timer on your mech rebuilding itself isn't awful awful as long as not everyone goes down at the same time.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, in Orphix missions, the corncob cooldown after destruction is 60 seconds instead of apparently 180 in open worlds, or so the wiki told me.

Something the wiki didn't tell me is that should the giant goatse not open after you pop all the resonators, something that did happen on PC Orphix every now and then, a Bonewidow smacking it with her melee will actually damage it.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
yeah the rebuild timer isn't too bad and at least that first time around, I didn't seem to lose any major affinity. thanks for the responses. we'll see if those affinity bugs rear their ugly heads as I poopsock this drat thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

hazardousmouse posted:

yeah the rebuild timer isn't too bad and at least that first time around, I didn't seem to lose any major affinity. thanks for the responses. we'll see if those affinity bugs rear their ugly heads as I poopsock this drat thing

I never quite figured it out all the way and it seemed like there were five or six different affinity bugs running together in Orphix stuff but I think they've mostly patched it so you're only losing affinity if your warframe dies. Not 100% on that though, best to keep your robit alive.