Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gaz-L posted:

Another point i think is worth noting is despite her best efforts, Wanda seems to be unable to stop Vision from noticing things are wrong over and over again. I assume there's some kind of 'she made him from her memories, but because of that, he's too close to the real thing to accept the lie'.

I do wonder if the back-up Vision that Shuri was making in Infinity War has any part in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I think the Stones as plot devices are done, but I think that the first part of Phase 4 will still involve dealing with "aftershocks" and "ripple effects" from the first three Phases. Figure what's happening with Wanda will likely be dealt with in the next Dr. Strange movie. I do hope the weirdness with Wanda and Vision doesn't completely disappear. I kind of want to see a WandaVison season 2 that takes a trip through cop shows.

1950s Dragnet

1960s Adam-12

1970s Starsky and Hutch

1980s Miami Vice

1990s Law and Order (original)

2000s CSI - preferably CSI Miami for multiple removals of sunglasses

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

The_Doctor posted:

I do wonder if the back-up Vision that Shuri was making in Infinity War has any part in this.

I 100% think Wanda remade Vision from that partial backup and her memories of him.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Open Source Idiom posted:

Speaking as someone who couldn't care less about comics "mythology", and who hasn't seen a Marvel film in about five years (or a single episode of the Dick Van Dyke show, or Bewitched) I think this is perfectly accessible.

The main characters are trapped in a sitcom world, and the exact nature of their entrapment is unclear. That's all you really need to know.

sticklefifer posted:

I would actually disagree with this. I'm not a hardcore comics fan, but I've seen all the MCU movies and nearly all Marvel TV, and I think it's pretty easy to extrapolate from context clues and the scenes of people trying to contact her that Wanda's trapped in some weird TV world inside her mind (either she created it and is hiding from someone, or someone else created it and she has some control over it), and she's scared to leave because she knows the real Vision is dead. I don't know a lot of the easter egg references, but I can at least figure out a general sense of what's happening.

Aside from that, it's just fun so far. Especially if you were raised on Nick-at-Nite. It seems like they're gradually going towards modern TV, so the nostalgia trip is fun too.

Yeah I guess this is why I said I might not be explaining it well. I came away from the first two with the understanding that nobody knows what's going on, but after a cursory Google search and from flipping through the last few pages of spoilers, it seemed like Marvel fans knew exactly what was up (knowing who Geraldine and Agnes were, knowing whatever the gently caress SWORD is, the watch with the name of the Nazi bad guy from the beginning of Ultron). Hence my feeling that it wasn't for more casual viewers. So maybe I got the wrong impression from the cross section.

And yes I most definitely grew up watching Nick at Nite reruns of 50s/60s/70s sitcoms.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

This is what I thought about episode 2. I skipped to the end just to watch the moving arc bit.

I'm a little bit disappointed in this. I was hoping for more of a mindfuck type of show where Wanda is bending realities, and while that IS what is starting to happen, I think this is moving WAY too slow for me. With what they have, maybe they should have done an hour special or something. Entertainment can be many things, but it shouldn't be boring. The slow crawl is boring me.

Barry Convex posted:

my view on the slow-burn pacing is basically the same as it was last week: cautiously optimistic that all the time spent in the false sitcom reality will end up paying off in later episodes, but not entirely convinced that it will

Totally agree with this sentiment though. I'm still interested, but we're three episodes into the formula of 25 minutes of sitcom homage/2 minutes of "something's weird" and I'm ready to learn some more.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Necrothatcher posted:

I think the Infinity Stones are done, if only because after a decade+ of movies about them the MCU should do something different.

The time for the mutants is starting :getin:

Edit: oh my god. They are gonna try to do Dark Phoenix again but with all the avengers involved oh noooo

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The trailer has all the agents outside the town as FBI when they are clearly SWORD, so the trailers seem to be edited to throw people off like Marvel did with the Endgame trailer

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Desperado Bones posted:

The time for the mutants is starting :getin:

Edit: oh my god. They are gonna try to do Dark Phoenix again but with all the avengers involved oh noooo

They skipped over Spider-Man’s origin and haven’t repeated a whole lot of plots that have been done in non comic media so far, I’m hoping they skip DoFP, God Loves Man Kills and Dark Phoenix.

I could be wrong because it’s X-Men and those stories are more iconic than any story involving MCU characters but I can hope.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Edmund Lava posted:

They skipped over Spider-Man’s origin and haven’t repeated a whole lot of plots that have been done in non comic media so far, I’m hoping they skip DoFP, God Loves Man Kills and Dark Phoenix.

I could be wrong because it’s X-Men and those stories are more iconic than any story involving MCU characters but I can hope.

they should use Wandavision as practice for revealing Mojo World

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

It felt like the sitcom episodes 1 and 2 really hit the love note to a sitcom really well while hinting at something under the surface and this episode is trying to lean into the "under the surface" element and as a result left the sitcom part behind. The scenery, costuming, and especially the opening credits were great, and I loved how it was super obvious that the neighbor's house was just a painted wall, among some other things I won't spoil for episode 3, but it didn't have time to establish any core sitcom plotting to let the "undertones" push past. The episode felt like a much different pace.

I hope the show is trying to transition into something else and then the sitcoms, rather than being a playground for the characters like in episodes 1 or 2, become something more sinister, so rather than being 50/50 a laugh track will start just feeling wrong and emphasize the twilight zone vibes.

Right now it hasn't hit it but there's lots of runway left.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

In one of the posters there is a houseplant that has Black Bolts head fork.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Is there a significance to how Vision had his right lapel carefully untucked throughout the entire episode?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Edmund Lava posted:

They skipped Spider-Man's origin because two previous series of movies had already done it twice in Spider Man(2002) and The Amazing Spider Man (2012). Homecoming came out in 2017. The Amazing Spider-Man came out five years earlier. and killed Uncle Ben yet again.

I much prefered the way Spider-Man came into the MCU via Civil War and Iron Man because at least it was loving different

radlum
May 13, 2013

Hazo posted:

Is there a significance to how Vision had his right lapel carefully untucked throughout the entire episode?

I think its significance was to annoy me because I hate when that happens with my shirts. I just wanted to fix his lapel throughout the whole episode.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Necrothatcher posted:

I think the Infinity Stones are done, if only because after a decade+ of movies about them the MCU should do something different.

This is the best reason to get rid of them, but the way they were ultimately written out seemed a bit pat and not terribly thought through: totems of infinite primal power ended up being, well, finite, and an individual stone could even be destroyed at the hands of a mortal being. The idea of being able to wish themselves out of existence should be considered a major paradox.

Just saying, if such objects wanted to hide and scatter themselves among the cosmos once again, the best cover would be to allow a big blue moron to believe he had wished them into nonexistence. Thanos only ever had one idea in his life and it was a really fuckin' dumb one, of course he'd be easy to fool. Even better if everyone else took him at his word.

I'd like to believe that for that reason, the Life Stone still exists and therefore Vision has a chance at genuine resurrection. I don't want things to move in the really grim direction the Marvel comics took. And if Mephisto is really involved, then it makes sense for them to make a play for something high-stakes like an Infinity Stone. Hope it's not exactly that, though, so Phase 4 can move beyond that.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 23, 2021

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Honestly, I think one of the best things the MCU could do is actually examine how hosed up and traumatized heroes might get and how they deal (or don't) with that trauma. Making superheroes more relatable is a smart move.

EDIT: I realize they already did this with Iron Man 3 but that was all about Tony, so other perspectives would be good.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Aren’t there a handful of 80’s/90’s sitcoms where, usually in the later seasons, suddenly the family has a little kid with little to no explanation?

I assume that’s how they’ll get Wanda the third child?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Lunatic Sledge posted:

they should use Wandavision as practice for revealing Mojo World

As someone who’s favorite childhood villains were Thanos and Mojo I would simply ascend.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

BlackIronHeart posted:

Honestly, I think one of the best things the MCU could do is actually examine how hosed up and traumatized heroes might get and how they deal (or don't) with that trauma. Making superheroes more relatable is a smart move.

EDIT: I realize they already did this with Iron Man 3 but that was all about Tony, so other perspectives would be good.

Pretty much all of Thor in Endgame. Cap leading therapy groups in Endgame. Black Widow throwing herself into her work and letting herself go in Endgame. Banner choosing ephemeralization and becoming whole in Endgame.

MadJackal fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 23, 2021

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

MadJackal posted:

Pretty much all of Thor in Endgame. Cap leading therapy groups in Endgame. Black Widow throwing herself into her work and letting herself go in Endgame. Banner choosing ephemeralization and becoming whole in Endgame.

To be honest, in Endgame, Steve's therapy group was the only conceit that really clicked, was consistent with the character, and didn't seem overly-cliched; the rest was a bit trite and skimmed over. None of which was the fault of any of the actors, of course; just of how overloaded the movie was. WandaVision offers an entire series' worth of time to focus on the development of two characters. I've been enjoying it so far and I do think it will ultimately pay off. I haven't really paid any attention to the prior TV series, but from what I understand, none of them really had an impact on the movie series. This time around, they seem to be paying more attention to integrating the two modalities, and utilizing the TV series to give the characters more time to breathe and develop (as opposed to Vision/Scarlet getting maybe 30 minutes of screentime between all of the movies so far).

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Looking forward to Mork and Mindy for episode 4

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Everyone posted:

Wanda doesn't need an Infinity Gauntlet. At this point, Wanda Maximoff is the Infinity Gauntlet.
I've been saying for a while that she's specifically a living version of the Reality Stone. Her powers warp reality the same way, and the red wispy stuff she does looks exactly like the Aether, which I can't believe is a coincidence.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Edmund Lava posted:

As someone who’s favorite childhood villains were Thanos and Mojo I would simply ascend.

I remember reading a crazy marvel-novel when I was a kid that involved Mojoworld and I think there's plenty of potential to do an interesting show with that setting/character. However, f they aren't going to do it in Wandavision with it explicitly tying in to T.V. shows throughout history then I doubt they'll do it anytime soon, since I recall Mojo tying in significantly to the use of television/the media.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The real pro choice would be for the 90s episode to be animated and do a Simpsons/King of the Hill/Beavis and Butthead riff.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
The commercial in episode three's link to Agents of SHIELD was a nice touch I thought.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Erev posted:

The commercial in episode three's link to Agents of SHIELD was a nice touch I thought.

What was the link?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

What was the link?

The commercial in E3 is for blue hydra branded mind control soap

It was also during the framework story arc which was a simulated idealized reality with unwilling participants living out a single persons fantasy. Too many things line up

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 23, 2021

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

OldSenileGuy posted:

Aren’t there a handful of 80’s/90’s sitcoms where, usually in the later seasons, suddenly the family has a little kid with little to no explanation?

I assume that’s how they’ll get Wanda the third child?

They already did giving birth to months old babies (lol), oh and the classic hide our pregnant actress' belly with a large coat. Even thought it was part of the joke it was a still a nod something that was or is still commonly done.

Seeing a little girl showing up out of nowhere is gonna have me in stitches.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

What are your guys thoughts that the show is going to involve Mephisto?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Has this been confirmed? It could be equally likely that it’s Nightmare or no one at all.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well, Mephisto's name always seems to pop up whenever anyone speculates about a big heavy-hitter magical bad guy coming to the MCU -- everyone was saying how the Sigourney Weaver character in Defenders was likely to be Mephisto, for no particular reason in retrospect -- but in WandaVision's case there's at least some credence to that theory because he was heavily involved in the storyline where Wanda and Vision "lost" their children in the first place. If there's going to be any villain pulling strings here, then -- going strictly from comics source -- Mephisto would make the most sense.

But no, there have been no production or story or casting leaks suggesting Mephisto will appear here. If anything, the episodes so far seems to be telegraphing something of a Hydra plot.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

To be honest, in Endgame, Steve's therapy group was the only conceit that really clicked, was consistent with the character, and didn't seem overly-cliched; the rest was a bit trite and skimmed over.

I hate that the major beat in Endgame is basically "if you gently caress up then don't actually try to get over it or make things better going forward; just use magic to undo your mistakes!". Even Steve tells Natasha that he tells people to move on, but can't do it himself. Endgame was great as a popcorn flick, but that one element always undercuts it so badly for me.

NowonSA posted:

I remember reading a crazy marvel-novel when I was a kid that involved Mojoworld and I think there's plenty of potential to do an interesting show with that setting/character. However, f they aren't going to do it in Wandavision with it explicitly tying in to T.V. shows throughout history then I doubt they'll do it anytime soon, since I recall Mojo tying in significantly to the use of television/the media.

Mojo is basically a media mogul, yeah, and uses television as a way to pacify the people of his dimension. He captured the X-Men to make them the stars of his latest line of television shows because he was running out of things people would enjoy, and basically kept loving with them as ways to raise ratings because good ratings gave him political power.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I don't think he'll be anything more than a reference, at the moment, because I think the show is leaning in to the use of Wanda as the villain of the story. Even Agatha seems like she's a red herring, and will either just have the character's name or will be trapped like everyone else even if she has power of her own.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

tsob posted:

Mojo is basically a media mogul, yeah, and uses television as a way to pacify the people of his dimension. He captured the X-Men to make them the stars of his latest line of television shows because he was running out of things people would enjoy, and basically kept loving with them as ways to raise ratings because good ratings gave him political power.

This sounds like it'd be a bit too meta for the MCU.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Necrothatcher posted:

This sounds like it'd be a bit too meta for the MCU.

Maybe, but I could see them re-purposing the Grandmaster in such a role, like that is how he came back to power after Thor Ragnarok.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Mojo's original design is probably kind of awkward anyway, since he's basically a big slug thing like Jabba the Hutt, sat in a set of robotic spider legs with a big scorpion tail thing. He'd probably get redesigned just to be easier to work with on a television budget. Plus, the original idea of him as a member of an alternate dimension and only looking to control his own dimension is somewhat unusual too. It'd probably be easier to make him an at least vaguely human alien looking to control planets using television shows to pacify people, and becoming a threat to Earth rather than just abducting Earth heroes in to his own dimension.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One thing that I'm curious is how this plays to the not-terminally online MCU fans. I think the show is structured such that you're meant to think SWORD are the bad guys right up until this episode shows Monica/Geraldine is working for them and that Wanda turns on her for basically the gentlest possible push towards actually grieving or engaging with her pain. Like in a normal conversation, responding to someone you don't know well talking about their dead sibling with "Oh, they died in X well-known tragedy, right?" is not crossing much of a line.

It's kind of like trying to parse Terminator 2 from the POV of someone who avoided all marketing.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Gaz-L posted:

One thing that I'm curious is how this plays to the not-terminally online MCU fans. I think the show is structured such that you're meant to think SWORD are the bad guys right up until this episode shows Monica/Geraldine is working for them and that Wanda turns on her for basically the gentlest possible push towards actually grieving or engaging with her pain. Like in a normal conversation, responding to someone you don't know well talking about their dead sibling with "Oh, they died in X well-known tragedy, right?" is not crossing much of a line.

It's kind of like trying to parse Terminator 2 from the POV of someone who avoided all marketing.

I don't know much outside the movies, games, and cartoons, and I wouldn't have known SWORD was a thing if I wasn't browsing spoilers. I know they show the logo a bunch but I don't think SWORD has ever been marketed to non-comics fans. If I didn't know who they were (I still don't know if they're good guys or bad guys... My Marvel fan friend told me they're like SHIELD but for aliens? Even though SHIELD already deals with aliens?) could have easily read the last scene as SWORD being the bad guys reclaiming a lost asset or something.

The T2 comparison is pretty spot on.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Am I the only person who thinks Mephisto being the big bad for an entire phase of the MCU seems like wishful thinking? Like, do people really think Disney is going to have literal Satan be in 6 movies and a couple TV shows or whatever?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

BlackIronHeart posted:

Am I the only person who thinks Mephisto being the big bad for an entire phase of the MCU seems like wishful thinking? Like, do people really think Disney is going to have literal Satan be in 6 movies and a couple TV shows or whatever?

If DC can turn one of their lead heroines into a literal rapist for a film, then Marvel can have Comics Satan for one

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

BlackIronHeart posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Thank you for saving me the effort of posting this.