Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

bony tony posted:

What's that big round friend in the middle?

That would be the Interstellar Logistics Station for transporting between planets. It took a long time for me to get my Titanium automated so I could get that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Apparently oil in DSP is infinite, therefore basically giving me no reason to bother stockpiling refined oil for future production, as well as incentivizing me to just scrap all these wind turbines and just mass-produce power plants

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ciaphas posted:

I do have one wish for DSP which is lighting for my factories, frick me I can't see at all at night :mad:

Extremely same, I hope it happens soon enough.

Jossar posted:

Loving DSP so far!

I'm at the point where a lot of other people are where i'm slowly running out of red/blue upgrades but I just want to polish absolutely everything off before I hit the interplanetary grind.

My main question is about the EM Rail Projector - I dunno how to get the danged thing powered because the usual methods of feeding it (shoving a wind turbine/power plant next to it) don't work. Am I missing something critically important here, or is it supposed to be more of a late-game tech and i'm failing because i'm getting ahead of myself?

You probably want to link your multiple power grids together, since I'm guessing that's what you meant by this. By the point you're placing this, you should have the ability to walk up to a coal deposit, plop down some miners, some smelters, and some thermal power plants. Boom, instant megawatts sufficient for whatever.

Meanwhile, you'll also want to try to make a ring of solar power around the equator so that you have a relatively steady source of power from solar. It compresses much better than wind, even if it's not the cheapest, which means significantly more concentrated levels of output.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

wish you could drag and drop lines of buildings. going around the equator 1 click at a time sounds brutal

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

queeb posted:

wish you could drag and drop lines of buildings. going around the equator 1 click at a time sounds brutal

Planets are rather small. You're basically building in the Spore universe.

I do wish for blueprints. And the ability to just drag-upgrade belts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This has shown up on my steam page a few times and I don't know what it's like, but there is apparently a demo for you to try if you want and the scale looks pretty impressive. Graphically sort of like Rise to Ruins but seems like it might be a bit more in depth mechanically.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1162750/Songs_of_Syx/

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

OwlFancier posted:

This has shown up on my steam page a few times and I don't know what it's like, but there is apparently a demo for you to try if you want and the scale looks pretty impressive. Graphically sort of like Rise to Ruins but seems like it might be a bit more in depth mechanically.

I'm enjoying songs of syx and I'm doing an LP here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953919

It's expanding nicely, and looks like it's going to be cool when the world conflict goes in properly.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Yeah Grey Hunter's LP convinced me to wishlist it. Ill probably pick it later. But I just sunk a hell of a lot of time into DSP without even realizing it. And Im learning a hell of a lot. Like stacking research structures is pointless if you dont have the throughput for all of them.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Song of Syx has an insane scale. Does it p well but it is like running up a brick wall trying to figure out how abstract your dudes are.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

queeb posted:

There's a setting close to this. In Gameplay settings, change Building view mode to God mode. With this, when you enter build mode, your vision is decoupled from the mecha and you can move the camera freely in a radius around it. After building two buildings in a certain direction, the camera will auto move the exact step required to instantly click to place another. Just need to shift-rclick move the mecha close again every so often so drones have short travel times.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

toasterwarrior posted:

Ah, ok, thank you. Yeah I was trying to have them picked up by sorters and dropped into fuel tanks, lol

I get the feeling everyone does - probably on the list of UI improvements to make by now

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oh I imagine there's a lot of work to do since the fusion generator is literally a recolor of the combustion generator.

Speaking of fusion, I found a halfway decent setup for creating Deuterium fuel cans:

Sorry for the night picture but it's clear enough for what I want to show. Fractionators will convert 5% of the Helium going through them into Deuterium, and they basically run at the speed of whatever belt you have. So what you obviously want is:
  • The fastest belts you have
  • the belts as full as possible

These are only running on tier 2 belts since I don't have any tier 3's made yet. The splitter on the way in is set to prioritize the output from the refinery so you'll always get more added to the line. The splitter after the Fractionators is set to prioritize sending stuff back onto the loop, so it only kicks out hydrogen when the loop is full. Combustion generators act as an infinite sink since the stuff does have a fuel value of 8MJ/unit anyways. Obviously just setting up particle colliders is better than this when you get them but this works rather well.

Anyways, I finally got planetary drones and interplanetary cargo vessels set up! Aww yeah, things are about to star getting crazy (not to mention neat and clean)

Edit: no idea why the steam pic isn't showing up. :negative:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

But curious why people are doing fusion or whatever, it's a game about doing this lol

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Railway Empire is on sale. I like it, gotta go with Adekyn's videos to get the full flavor from it.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

songs of syx is alright so far but its still very half baked, and given that it seems to be a one-dev project it could linger for a long time in early access. worth keeping an eye on if it interests you

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Skyl3lazer posted:

But curious why people are doing fusion or whatever, it's a game about doing this lol

Fusion makes for EXCELLENT batteries.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
In DSP you can rotate your mines and then hold shift to deactivate grid snap. While pressing shift, you can press R to rotate them freely. I found this by accident because I was too dumb to figure it out before. Pressing 2 buttons at once? Just crazy stuff.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played Songs of Syx for about 8 hours or so and am pretty sure I saw everything there, this was back when it first launched but it doesn't look like all that much changed. I like the game but yeah I can see it being an extremely slow drip over a couple years.

Edit: Love these patch notes for DSP. Yes I know it's translated it still made me chuckle.

quote:

After a very-short break, we are publishing a new patch now. Thanks to the snowflaking-feedback from players with full of support, expectation and urging, we are greatly encouraged and feel super energic to continue the fixing work - Don't worry, we have read All of them! But we have to solve them one by one.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 23, 2021

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
yeah the machine translated english patch notes are charming lol

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Truga posted:

i *really* like that it's possible, fairly early, to make a belt of solar panels around the entire goddamn planet, thereby achieving constant coverage lmao

I'm so used to playing 2d games that I never considered this when I got solar. Right, planets are round. :doh:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Han Nehi posted:

I'm so used to playing 2d games that I never considered this when I got solar. Right, planets are round. :doh:

I had this realization while trying to figure out why my conveyors were slightly curved. Because the world is round so long conveyors will curve ever so slightly :doh:

This game rules, goddamn. I haven't even gone to space yet, just spending hours trying to perfect my setup on the first planet before thinking about going to spaaaace

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mad Wack posted:

yeah the machine translated english patch notes are charming lol

My favorite part is that they got a voice actor (and honestly, not a bad one, unless this is TTS and its just gotten that good) to speak all of the tutorial and info box lines. But, none of the script that they read is well translated, so you end up with silky smooth line delivery of goofy sentences.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Volmarias posted:

My favorite part is that they got a voice actor (and honestly, not a bad one, unless this is TTS and its just gotten that good) to speak all of the tutorial and info box lines. But, none of the script that they read is well translated, so you end up with silky smooth line delivery of goofy sentences.

I find it really charming :shobon:

Its like everyone has become so involved in Future Second-Life that the robots had to teach themselves how to speak, but they could only learn through badly translated manga.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Volmarias posted:

Part of me honestly hopes they don't replace it in the future with a better translation - I find it really charming. I think they still get the ideas across needed to teach concepts to the player, but I say that as a factorio veteran who's already familiar with most of the mechanics.

Is there a way, when building splitters on top of one another, to have an item enter on one floor and leave another? The settings for the splitter when I tried it seemed to imply they can't raise or lower goods.

Game owns and the only thing I see it really needs is blueprints, I can see trying to remake factories on new planets as a serious hassle.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Manyorcas posted:

Part of me honestly hopes they don't replace it in the future with a better translation - I find it really charming. I think they still get the ideas across needed to teach concepts to the player, but I say that as a factorio veteran who's already familiar with most of the mechanics.

Is there a way, when building splitters on top of one another, to have an item enter on one floor and leave another? The settings for the splitter when I tried it seemed to imply they can't raise or lower goods.

Game owns and the only thing I see it really needs is blueprints, I can see trying to remake factories on new planets as a serious hassle.

If you press shift before you place the splitter, it will give you the other two configurations. A splitter can bring in item up or down 1 level, which is really handy when hopping belts.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Jumped on the DSP train and I'm enjoying it so far.

Total noob question. I have one of my mining things digging up blue and a belt going to a smelter with two belts coming off the smelter to make blue plates. One to storage, one to an assembler that is making circuit boards. It splits between both as expected. One goes to storage, one goes to circuit assembly.

However, I have a mining thing digging up red with a belt that goes to a smelter then one belt going to storage, and another belt going to circuit assembly. However, this one is NOT splitting the load from the smelter, everything is just going into the storage. There is power for everything. The belts are all connected properly.

Am I missing something else?

:(

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 23, 2021

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Found one weird tip to increase bandwidth in DSP. Kinda obvious I suppose, but you can stack as many sorters as the building has sorter spots next to eachother. For some reason my brain was stuck on one sorter per input/output. Might be helpful if you don't have access to faster sorters yet.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Volmarias posted:

I hope they never fix capacitorization

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Volmarias posted:

The perfect, earnest delivery of mostly mangled grammar is amazing!

I guess the voice actors just thought that the busted language was just part of the gig? Because I can see, “just read these lines,” and doing it rather than correcting it because that’s what professionals do? Just seems weird that nobody told them “it’s ok to correct it if it’s messed up.”

Also, I don’t mind it too much, and of course, it’s way better than my (non-existent) Mandarin!

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Philthy posted:

Jumped on the DSP train and I'm enjoying it so far.

Total noob question. I have one of my mining things digging up blue and a belt going to a smelter with two belts coming off the smelter to make blue plates. One to storage, one to an assembler that is making circuit boards. It splits between both as expected. One goes to storage, one goes to circuit assembly.

However, I have a mining thing digging up red with a belt that goes to a smelter then one belt going to storage, and another belt going to circuit assembly. However, this one is NOT splitting the load from the smelter, everything is just going into the storage. There is power for everything. The belts are all connected properly.

Am I missing something else?

:(

I don't think the output from those is set to split things evenly. I think the only reason your other one is doing it is because they are being made so fast while the first output is moving an item, there is another item to be moved at the same time that will go out the other output.

The space you have between your belt and your smelter/storage/output belt can also cause huge slowdown issues. A grabber?(forgot the name) that has to move that extra space moves a lot slower than one that is moving items from a belt that is right next to where it is going.

tldr: try getting rid of the spaces between your belts and the buildings.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

boz posted:

I don't think the output from those is set to split things evenly. I think the only reason your other one is doing it is because they are being made so fast while the first output is moving an item, there is another item to be moved at the same time that will go out the other output.

The space you have between your belt and your smelter/storage/output belt can also cause huge slowdown issues. A grabber?(forgot the name) that has to move that extra space moves a lot slower than one that is moving items from a belt that is right next to where it is going.

tldr: try getting rid of the spaces between your belts and the buildings.

Well that stinks. Is there any *real* way to split the belts at all? Or am I forced to make multiple miners/smelters for each new belt?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Philthy posted:

Well that stinks. Is there any *real* way to split the belts at all? Or am I forced to make multiple miners/smelters for each new belt?

You will unlock splitters that have 4 input/outputs.

Another neat trick I realized while watching other people's builds:

The grabber arms can be placed anywhere. You can put a belt next to another belt, and have a grabber arm get stuff from one belt to another. The time it takes for it to move the item to the other belt will let one or two products go past it.

Knowing this really opened the game up for me.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

boz posted:

You will unlock splitters that have 4 input/outputs.

Another neat trick I realized while watching other people's builds:

The grabber arms can be placed anywhere. You can put a belt next to another belt, and have a grabber arm get stuff from one belt to another. The time it takes for it to move the item to the other belt will let one or two products go past it.

Knowing this really opened the game up for me.

Awesome, thanks!

The grabber arms are exactly what I was looking for. Progress!

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 23, 2021

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

OwlFancier posted:

The thing that impresses me most about Song of Syx is it manages to achieve essentially Total War style battles (albeit with only one unit type plus three racial modifiers) perfectly smoothly within the context of a city builder. Highly recommended, even if it's not yet content rich.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Wish I figured out sooner that the drive is what let's you move fast. Now to set up a factory complex devoted entirely to building more buildings so I can hit the next planet runnin.

I already have a line for conveyor belts and sorters set up, prolly have as much of the mark 1s as I'll ever use and then some so I can prolly dismantled those and free the iron up for something else

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Yeah the arms can go three wide, which is awesome.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

also awesome was my dumb rear end remembering that sorters have a filter so I could just drop hydrogen and refined oil on to separate lines without using a splitter

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My primitive ratios hinge on how a belt transports 6 items per second.

In ideal conditions a yellow sorters shuffles 1.5 items per second, 4 yellow sorters will fully saturate or empty a belt. I've used belts that wrap around a box to create a lossless buffer for the vast majority of my outputs and inputs.

Blue sorters transport 3 items per second. So I've been able to make each box accept two lanes in and two lanes out.

Everything tops out at 6/s on the first planet, so no production column is gonna be ~that~ long. I've moving on from box feeding my building buildings and now I've got foundations set up I'm just scanning the planet and identifying which ore patches are close enough together to process into higher product.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Agean90 posted:

also awesome was my dumb rear end remembering that sorters have a filter so I could just drop hydrogen and refined oil on to separate lines without using a splitter

Yep, I'm doing two parallel lines beside the refineries with one arm moving Hydrogen to the closest belt and another moving the refined oil to the next furthest belt, then each belt goes to their own storage. If you have sorters moving them both off the same line you'll just be flooded with the refined oil because that stuff comes out much faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Working my way through T3 Science. I'm surprised that being lazy/inefficient (i'm still doing a ton of work in the replicator with stockpiles of basic ores) has worked so far, and honestly if I was moderately patient I could probably make it the rest of the way through T3 with my already in place infrastructure. But this is probably a good time to go back and at least get the first couple tiers of goods better automated before production costs start ramping up again.

Also it feels like T2 science cube production sucks compared to T1/T3 and i'm not sure why. My intuitive guess is it's because Hydrogen is harder to produce in as large quantities as the other stuff at this phase of the game, but it's probably just because I need to build more oil refineries.