Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Seems stupid to fall into the trap of rating women's looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

listened to GEMA numbers on covid demographics in GA as a spectator on a call yesterday and it occurred to me last night that, after a little napkin math, Georgia probably would have voted for Trump if it weren't for so many rural conservatives killing themselves with COVID from summer 2020 onward

the united states is a grim loving place

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Medullah posted:

Is there any legit reason for Biden freezing the Trump insulin EO?

He issued an EO to freeze all Trump EO's and regulations that went into effect in the last 2 months for a review.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Soulless, dead eyes. That is extremely off-putting.

Like a doll's eyes...doesn't seem to be livin'

EDIT:

Beaten bit Larry King died

CNN has some political figures in their Top Ten interviews list

https://www.cnn.com/specials/app-style-section/larry-king-interviews

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 23, 2021

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Smeef posted:

I don’t think he ever did hard hitting interviews, because his whole thing was that he didn’t prepare at all. This approach, of course, led to perhaps the only interview moment of his that I will ever remember, when he thought Seinfeld had been canceled despite being the number one show on TV.

a classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVTP8xZCGVw

he was in bee movie too

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Medullah posted:

We went over this yesterday if you can find it, but essentially it's a meaningless hurdle nonprofit health centers have to jump to get federal funding. They have to "prove" they passed "savings" onto customers. They are already non profit local centers. The only purpose of it is to make them fill out paperwork so the government can brag about the savings.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Rust Martialis posted:

Yeah, we talked about it in this thread; it did nothing to lower prices. It was theater.

Also wasn't the freeze a part of a blanket freeze on Trump EOs while they sort through them and see what is worth saving and what is worth removing?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Is it possible to acknowledge that it's both a crass argument that your opponent shouldn't be making at all because it's objectifying and insulting, but also that they're laughably incorrect anyway?

The Stepford wife look every single woman in right wing media has going for them is not good looking. I'm also not sure how it's embracing one's anything, let alone femininity and immutable differences. If you're celebrating immutable differences, then why the gently caress do all y'all look exactly alike?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Scipiotik posted:

Seems stupid to fall into the trap of rating women's looks.

I don't think it is a trap she has laid or that anyone (sane) is arguing that "hotter = better." It's just wild that something that should be so far beneath the former legal advisor to the President is one of the first things she wants to get into when out of office.

And regardless of your opinion of her, I don't see how you can say that Psaki is "rejecting femininity" and "trying to be a man."

One of the worst things that Trump did was not the appointment of toadies to thousands of government positions that are usually filled by experts. Those toadies are either Trump toadies that will follow him or toadies that will carry water for any one in power.

The elevating of people who are legitimately crazy, have no self-control, or are so unqualified that they would have never even gotten close to those positions, even in another Republican administration, is much worse. Jenna Ellis was an Assistant Professor at Colorado Christian University before she became the White House Legal Advisor to the President. The guy in charge of Climate Science failed out of college while majoring in climatology, etc.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

FizFashizzle posted:

Probably the biggest name that’s died from COVID.

https://twitter.com/kingsthings/status/1352960673978880000?s=21

He was kind of a cultural icon in the 80s and early 90s but he was kind of a relic by the time most of us were old enough to know what we were watching. Apparently at one time he did hard hitting interviews?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMib65Vqk4I

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 23, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I dunno. Larry asking whether it was 100% Jerry Seinfeld's idea to end the show seems like a reasonable question (he could have done more research, but it doesn't seem like a wildly out of bounds question) and Seinfeld comes off as a bit of a jerk. "Can we get my resume out here for this guy?"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

John Wick of Dogs posted:

We went over this yesterday if you can find it, but essentially it's a meaningless hurdle nonprofit health centers have to jump to get federal funding. They have to "prove" they passed "savings" onto customers. They are already non profit local centers. The only purpose of it is to make them fill out paperwork so the government can brag about the savings.

This is an argument against the Trump EO (studies seem to back this up too), but it wasn't the actual reason it was suspended.

Twibbit posted:

Also wasn't the freeze a part of a blanket freeze on Trump EOs while they sort through them and see what is worth saving and what is worth removing?

This is the actual reason it was suspended. All Trump EOs and regulations that went into effect or were issued within the last 2 months were frozen while they draft a list of what needs to stay and go.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Is it possible to acknowledge that it's both a crass argument that your opponent shouldn't be making at all because it's objectifying and insulting, but also that they're laughably incorrect anyway?

The Stepford wife look every single woman in right wing media has going for them is not good looking. I'm also not sure how it's embracing one's anything, let alone femininity and immutable differences. If you're celebrating immutable differences, then why the gently caress do all y'all look exactly alike?

This is yet another case where you need to realise: Republicans genuinely love all those horrible things, and want more of them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Veryslightlymad posted:

To be fair to the crazy former White House lawyer, she is talking about the immutable differences between men and women and not the immutable differences between all women. Under her rules, every woman can be the same as long as they are distinct from man and vice-versa.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

I really dislike the Bad Faith Pod, especially Virgil. I thought he especially was a dick to Chomsky. One weird trick for avoiding the very online left is just don't go to twitter. Or start unfollowing accounts you think are being unfair. Twitter is not real life.

I usually ignore Chomsky and all Chomsky related discussion. Did Virgil accuse him of teaching people languages in hotel rooms?

America's favorite and most respected anarchist is an inherently suspicious concept, after all.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm not even sure what Glenn Greenwald is even advocating for anymore.

First, it was pro-Capitol Rioters because the media shouldn't label anyone criminals.

Then, it was pro-fascism in general because AOC said she was scared, but most of the people who died during the riots were people there "to peacefully protest" and unarmed. So, that is an emotional manipulation like using 9/11.

Now, he thinks the media rushed to judgement on George Floyd and was too anti-cop? Where did this last one even come from?

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1352667145814073347?s=20

He's a transmisiac gay republican who smokes weed. With bolso in there's no chance of him dying in a us invasion of brazil and he always hated black people. It's a reverse two languages immigrant politics thing.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I would like to post and thank majorian for correcting me on fauci, btw.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

I dunno. Larry asking whether it was 100% Jerry Seinfeld's idea to end the show seems like a reasonable question (he could have done more research, but it doesn't seem like a wildly out of bounds question) and Seinfeld comes off as a bit of a jerk. "Can we get my resume out here for this guy?"

He should have known that Jerry loses interest after a few years.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is yet another case where you need to realise: Republicans genuinely love all those horrible things, and want more of them.

Roger Ailes knew that the average Fox News viewer didn't give a single poo poo about the garbage his channel spewed out, so long as the bulk of it was spewed by either "smart-looking guy in nice suit" or "pretty blonde with nice legs".

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bad news that it is needed, but good news that people are getting reimbursed for it.

Another thing that could have been a very easy layup - being ethically right and politically right - and is baffling that the Trump administration didn't even try.

quote:

FEMA is preparing to cover $2 billion in COVID-19 funeral costs across the US

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Veryslightlymad posted:

It's possible, but yet lovely.

There is nothing wrong with looking like either woman. There is something wrong with being a mouthpiece to fascist lies. They're laughably incorrect because they're providing a really juvenile understanding of both sexiness and femininity, not because one of them looks like a Stepford wife or other synonym for bimbo.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

FizFashizzle posted:

There's also certain elements of the "populist right" (a bullshit term if there ever was one) that, unlike most leftists/centrists, he's completely fine with.

Remember when he referred to immigrants as a "horde?"

Glenn has always been a liberterian leaning right, he was just able to serve a purpose in the Obama era with Snowden

Why people give Glenn credit for the brave thing Snowden actually did is beyond loving me.
Dude's a contrarian who defended Neo nazis pro-bono in legal cases because he's a Free Speech Absolutist. And he is in the "populist right" with the exception of any restrictions that immediately affect him. Didn't Glenn also throw Reality Winner completely under the loving bus?

He's just another mediocre white dude with a huge ego, given false authority for no reason off other people's work

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 23, 2021

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Medullah posted:

all new regulations were frozen so that the biden admin could go through and cancel all bad ones before they were finalized and harder to undo

it doesn't appear this one was an actually good one, but the main point is that biden didn't single this one out for freezing: he froze all of them with the intent of going through and determining if any are worth keeping, and if this one is worth keeping he can keep it

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

Why people give Glenn credit for the brave thing Snowden actually did is beyond loving me.
But he's so so brave! You just don't know. Posting from gay-hating Brazil, AS a gay MAN, who is determined to see a right-wing religious autocracy in control of America. So loving brave!!

Thom12255 posted:

You're ignoring the millions that work in insurance. Something would have to be done for them too as they'd be obsolete.

I found something perfect for them; our solution to male chicks. Don't worry, the grinding blades spin so fast they won't even feel it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

i am harry fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 23, 2021

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

NoDamage posted:

I don't think anyone here has suggested Trump is guilty of genocide... that seems like over-the-top hyperbole. Mostly just straight up negligence/incompetence.
soon.

Honestly, I’d say both Trump and McConnell meet the definition here. Trump deliberately ignored the early pandemic when he thought it was harming blue states more than red states, and McConnell deliberately starved states and individuals of the funding they needed to maintain lockdown/stay-at-home orders in order to force states to reopen early despite knowing the death that would cause. That’s pretty clearly genocide even if they get to hide behind a veneer of negligence and we tend to ignore economic tyranny as gop sop.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

"DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Rinkles posted:

"DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?"

Jerry Seinfeld was the worst character and the least funny one in Seinfeld :colbert:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

TulliusCicero posted:

Jerry Seinfeld was the worst character and the least funny one in Seinfeld :colbert:

Sienfeld as a comedian and a show was never funny. I will die on that hill.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!

TulliusCicero posted:

you kinda need to have a straight man to ground things, but yeah he was pretty obnoxious.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 23, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I mean, exposing Seinfeld as a jerk is good interviewing.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

TulliusCicero posted:

Jerry was a great character and very funny, and yet what you said is still inarguably true.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Yawgmoft posted:

I know this isn't the point, but comparing your looks to someone older than you where you get to have a photo with a 3/4 perspective looking up and she was given a photo head on looking down is really classy.

Conservative definition of attractive has never moved beyond 1950's barbie

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Seinfeld is still great but only the parts that in hindsight were all Larry David’s work.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

i am harry posted:

I found something perfect for them; our solution to male chicks. Don't worry, the grinding blades spin so fast they won't even feel it.

you, uh, do know that the people you're talking about here are mostly low-wage clerical workers who hate the health billing industry at least as much as you do, right?

we absolutely need to dismantle for-profit healthcare, but we're going to need a better solution for all the people currently working in the pointless make-work jobs it's created than "mass murder lol"

e: and just so you don't start throwing around "oh so you think better things aren't possible and just want to stop m4a," there is a solution, it's UBI, and I'm all for it, both in general and also as a specific alternative to mass murder

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 23, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Former White House Legal Advisor to the President keeping busy while out of office by litigating the real questions.

The primary reason for hiring a press secretary is how closely they can be made to look like a 1950's child's toy.

Please, tell me more about how conservatives value subjective appearance over all other qualities.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Sienfeld as a comedian and a show was never funny. I will die on that hill.

I, too, dislike one of the most popular TV shows of all time. We are truly distinguished and enlightened individuals!

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

jerry seinfeld dated a 17 year old when he was 38.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

jerry seinfeld's "comedy" in 2020 is complaining about how millennials get triggered by the n-word because they dont understand humor.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Veryslightlymad posted:

Creeps me the gently caress out for sure

Like I have a hard time distinguishing between Fox News female commentators

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Larry should have asked why Jerry was dating a highchooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Broken clock and all that but the media is pretty goddamn worthless and Psaki throwing their dumbass questions back at them in the middle of an economic downturn and pandemic is pretty satisfying.

https://twitter.com/malonebarry/status/1352725056900755456

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpnjIyfmiG8&t=1755s