Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

Separate ecosystems. Oculus never implemented a way for developers to allow for cross-buy between Go and Quest, you'll have to buy it again.

Okay, that's what I figured was going on. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

KTS posted:

It probably helps that I've been into VP for a while and have setup cabinets in the past. Took a little bit to wrap my head around setting up VR for it but in the end it's actually pretty simple, there just isn't any real nice guides for it. I've been filming this for my lovely little youtube channel and I'll end up doing a tutorial on setting up the software soon.

Please do! I am responsible for keeping billion dollar applications running in a cloud environment and the guides for VPVR made me very angry. I had no idea what the hell they were referring to and gave up pretty quickly. Lots of circular referencing, changing terminology, and general vibe of not wanting people to join the club.

Skyarb posted:

Is everspace a good vr title?

Unless there's some mods, not really. The reticle is weirdly close to your face, and the effort put into making it VR friendly is not that great. It's definitely playable but I'd keep expectations low, especially if you played Elite or Squadrons.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

God, Blaston is so fun. Really good workout, tons of fun, everyone gives you a nice pre-match wave or a really dumb bow or something, and you can really see people panicking and spinning around looking for something, anything to fire at you.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Nalin posted:

Yeah. It's a decent 7/10 Rogue-lite game. It is a cockpit game and you need to use a controller or a mouse+keyboard. I don't think it supports VR controllers.

Probably just stick to elite then.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
My country is on lockdown indefinitely again so are there any VR games that are good at simulating a decent workout? I can get a sweat on flailing around in B&S/Thrill of the Fight but I wonder if there's a better alternative?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I want an elite strap and a case, but the strap/battery/case combo are like gold dust right now, and an elite strap and third party case sans battery are close enough in price to the combo that I wonder if I should wait until I can bag all three. Is an Elite strap without the battery counterweight worth it?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Pierson posted:

My country is on lockdown indefinitely again so are there any VR games that are good at simulating a decent workout? I can get a sweat on flailing around in B&S/Thrill of the Fight but I wonder if there's a better alternative?

You're looking for something more intense than Thrill of the fight? Maybe try harder opponents or going for more knockdowns, I don't think you're going to get more intense than that.

There are some games that will get you moving around (I'm going to give Until you Fall a try here in a moment) but I'm a pretty fit guy and I use 30m of TotF as half of a pretty good workout day. Beat Saber and Pistol Whip are good cool-down type games, but my heart rate rarely goes into actual fitness ranges....

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I want an elite strap and a case, but the strap/battery/case combo are like gold dust right now, and an elite strap and third party case sans battery are close enough in price to the combo that I wonder if I should wait until I can bag all three. Is an Elite strap without the battery counterweight worth it?

Yeah, I actually think the battery counterweight is pretty superfluous. The strap is almost like a halo-hybrid so the front weight really isn't too bad. To get more battery life I use a hair tie and just run a cable from the back down my shirt to a pack in my pocket. Works really well. I mean, the combo does sound like a good deal and everything but the strap is really really good without the battery compartment.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 23, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

If anyone is playing Elite or SW:squadrons on steam through virtual desktop on a Quest 2 be kind enough to share their control settings? I cant seem to get gamepad (a DS4 connected through Bluetooth on the PC) controls to register in any games in VR even though my gamepad works fine when playing in non VR mode.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ughhhh posted:

If anyone is playing Elite or SW:squadrons on steam through virtual desktop on a Quest 2 be kind enough to share their control settings? I cant seem to get gamepad (a DS4 connected through Bluetooth on the PC) controls to register in any games in VR even though my gamepad works fine when playing in non VR mode.

Maybe try connecting the controller to the headset itself? I use an Xbox One controller but have it wired and it works fine.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I just randomly went searching for the elite strap /w battery and case combo and I was able to snag one from Walmart.com just now!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

UK for me, unfortunately.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ughhhh posted:

Just worked for me... :shrug:, but I was using a plug-in joystick. Do you have a USB gamepad you can try for a test? Squadrons tries to autodetect your controller so make sure you don't have anything else weird plugged in?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

ughhhh posted:

My DS4 just worked when I booted up star wars squadron the first time, but I've always used it with the DS4windows app, so maybe give that software a try

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
I was able to snag a good gun stock for around half of its msrp on ebay and holy poo poo it's OP in pavlov

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
If you can't find the elite strap, or even if you can, I highly recommend the GOMRVR halo strap from aliexpress. Far cheaper, and from my experience, more comfortable. Especially if you like forcing the screen right up into your face, since the halo strap allows you to do that without putting so much weight on your cheekbones or brow.

For what its worth though, my brother does prefer the elite strap, and some of the plastic looks and feels a bit cheap, so it might not be for everyone, but even if it wasn't a third of the price (in Australia) I would still personally get this over the elite strap, easily.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Pure halo's have pluses and minuses, but yeah that looks like a real good deal.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That looks super good, I feel like it might not fit a case too well though?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I ordered my elite strap w/battery and case combo right after christmas and it took a solid 3 weeks to get to me from the oculus site. Still beat their published estimate of February 2nd though.

On that note I burned through a full augmented battery playing Walkabout Mini Golf today. Great game, really nails the putt-putt experience. I'd pay for DLC courses.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

playground tough posted:

I was able to snag a good gun stock for around half of its msrp on ebay and holy poo poo it's OP in pavlov

whats it called?

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007

Captain Apollo posted:

whats it called?

It's a Mamut Apto 2. I'd been eyeing it for a while because I have their grips for my quest 2 controllers but it's a bit expensive - got lucky with the auction.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That looks super good, I feel like it might not fit a case too well though?

Yeah definitely doesn't. People say a rift case fits it almost perfectly but its easy enough to slide on and off that I've just been doing that.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

overdesigned posted:

I ordered my elite strap w/battery and case combo right after christmas and it took a solid 3 weeks to get to me from the oculus site. Still beat their published estimate of February 2nd though.

On that note I burned through a full augmented battery playing Walkabout Mini Golf today. Great game, really nails the putt-putt experience. I'd pay for DLC courses.

Same. And throw in some crazier courses. Man that game just feels right.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Enderzero posted:

Same. And throw in some crazier courses. Man that game just feels right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrQqt4hG6SI

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I tried walkabout and it made me notice that the floor level in games feels about 1 foot lower than it really it. But when I adjust the floor level in the guardian it tracks perfectly in the setup screen. Anyone else notice this?

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Got to the first monster boss fight in Until You Fall tonight, twice. I think I almost had him the second time but I screwed up, I fought for a long time with my health on the last bar, but I finally missed a dodge and he got me. By the end of it I could barely lift my right arm. I am out of shape, but I'm excited at the prospect of getting back in shape via video games, which is starting to feel actually viable with stuff like this.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Ragnarock
Thrill of the Fight
Blaston
Until You Fall
Eleven Table Tennis (i mean you gotta keep moving and stuff....)

amazing exercise games where the purpose of the game isn't to exercise. These are all fantastic.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Thanks for the suggestions. Some of those I hadn't heard of and will wishlist. Thinking I might get a new VR game every month or two to keep myself interested and build my library. Cheaper than a gym membership around here.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Gentleman Baller posted:

If you can't find the elite strap, or even if you can, I highly recommend the GOMRVR halo strap from aliexpress. Far cheaper, and from my experience, more comfortable. Especially if you like forcing the screen right up into your face, since the halo strap allows you to do that without putting so much weight on your cheekbones or brow.

For what its worth though, my brother does prefer the elite strap, and some of the plastic looks and feels a bit cheap, so it might not be for everyone, but even if it wasn't a third of the price (in Australia) I would still personally get this over the elite strap, easily.

Could you link to the Ali one please?

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Duckula posted:

Sure

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mskNehf

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Duckula posted:

They're available through Amazon if you want faster shipping, though you'll usually pay a premium: https://www.amazon.com/iovroigo-adjustable-Supporting-comfort-Virtual-Accessories-PC/dp/B08NJK1QHL

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lol, I crippled the small of my back diving to the floor in Blaston. The human body just gives the gently caress up past age thirty, doesn't it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Captain Apollo posted:

Ragnarock
Thrill of the Fight
Blaston
Until You Fall
Eleven Table Tennis (i mean you gotta keep moving and stuff....)

amazing exercise games where the purpose of the game isn't to exercise. These are all fantastic.

Eleven Table Tennis really feels like I remember table tennis feeling as well.

rockinsaki
Feb 6, 2004

Skinless Half-Asian Wonder

..The Rider of a white horse. This rider wears a crown and will deceive many with talks of peace, but he will wage war against the saints.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Eleven Table Tennis really feels like I remember table tennis feeling as well.

I will use my thigh to try to stop a virtual ball so I don't have to walk and chase it. Also, the physics are a little floaty and idealized, but wow it does a good job accurately translating my catalog of serves

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Here's a story for an ancient iteration of this thread:

I'm in the process of selling a spare gaming rig I had been using in the living room for VR (before the Quest 2 and VD rendered it irrelevant) and I'm probably going to include my old 27" 1080p 120hz 3D Vision monitor with it. It's been quite a few years since I've actually used 3D Vision, and didn't even realize it wasn't part of the driver any longer. Long story short, I wiped the drive, installed an older version of Win10 and the 425.31 nvidia driver, and then installed a bunch of old 3D Vision games.

3D Vision is still cool as hell! It's even better now that you don't have to gently caress around with SLI video cards to even try to hit a constant 60fps. Witcher3 in 3D on a 1080ti system gave me maxed out visuals at a locked 60fps, and it just looks fantastic in 3D. It's cool enough that I'm reconsidering selling the monitor now.

I heard rumblings a while back that Virtual Desktop might be adding support for 3D Vision titles, anything ever come of that?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Today I bought two games for my Quest. Dash Dash Racing and Blaston.

Dash Dash Racing devs released several tracks after release, improved graphics and 90hz for the Quest 2, new immersive controls with a virtual wheel, cross buy with the Oculus store and cross-platform in multiplayer. They have extensive tutorials, achievements, unlockables, comfort options, etc.
And after all that, I ended up refunding it. It's... well, I guess it's that I don't find the core game that fun. It isn't bad, but it is just... fine? The controls and physics are not satisfying, and dunno, I feel the concept of arcade kart didn't translate as well as one could imagine. Ymmv. So despite wanting to reward the devs for the support, it didn't make sense for me to own it.

On the other hand I'm happy with Blaston. It's a simple as hell game, 1vs1 shooting each other with an arsenal of 'slow bullet' weapons. That's it. But it's well executed, it's fun, and I can see how it fits on my daily exercise routine of Beat Saber + something else (it could be Eleven TT, or Until You Fall, or this one).

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The quest has made me insanely aware of how little I actually look at my hands for large movement, its constantly losing track of my hands during beat saber because I am watching the blocks and hitting them as they come past.

Does the quest 2 have a bigger field of tracking?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

playground tough posted:

It's a Mamut Apto 2. I'd been eyeing it for a while because I have their grips for my quest 2 controllers but it's a bit expensive - got lucky with the auction.

That's the one I've looked at. I like that it doesn't look like a gun. I have a headset on, I just need the hold points and stock, I don't need to look like a bigger moron than I already do.

RFC2324 posted:

The quest has made me insanely aware of how little I actually look at my hands for large movement, its constantly losing track of my hands during beat saber because I am watching the blocks and hitting them as they come past.

Does the quest 2 have a bigger field of tracking?

Yes, but it's still not perfect. I find it's better for tracking on the sides but still not great for tracking close to your head.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I don't expect much close to my face, but if it can track my swings and such its probably worth the upgrade

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

I don't expect much close to my face, but if it can track my swings and such its probably worth the upgrade

Its not as good as having base stations, but yeah its pretty good. WIDE swings get lose but the Q2 also does some processing to make good guesses as to where your hands are when it loses track. It's an upgrade over the Q1 for sure and probably a step below the Rift with actual wall-mounted sensors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lockback posted:

Its not as good as having base stations, but yeah its pretty good. WIDE swings get lose but the Q2 also does some processing to make good guesses as to where your hands are when it loses track. It's an upgrade over the Q1 for sure and probably a step below the Rift with actual wall-mounted sensors.

I miss my rift basr stations, but those systems just cost too much.

Tho I'll admit when I was price checking quests on amazon earlier I spent way too much time looking at a vive pro setup.