Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Jossar posted:

Working my way through T3 Science. I'm surprised that being lazy/inefficient (i'm still doing a ton of work in the replicator with stockpiles of basic ores) has worked so far, and honestly if I was moderately patient I could probably make it the rest of the way through T3 with my already in place infrastructure. But this is probably a good time to go back and at least get the first couple tiers of goods better automated before production costs start ramping up again.

Also it feels like T2 science cube production sucks compared to T1/T3 and i'm not sure why. My intuitive guess is it's because Hydrogen is harder to produce in as large quantities as the other stuff at this phase of the game, but it's probably just because I need to build more oil refineries.

Hydrogen was my sticking point as well but once I ramped up plastic production I found that I had plenty to throw around. Also once I had the drone bases and drones automated O stopped worrying about building one huge factory and started making mini factories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So I did a bit of experimentation, and the orbital radius of a dyson swarm had a fairly significant effect on how much power solar sails generate. Max radius is about 50% as efficient as minimum, but it's harder to have a high uptime on a smaller radius. If you have a very very close planet to the star, it's easier to have a large uptime on a smaller radius orbit. If you're inside of the orbit, poles will have a 100% uptime (if you don't have the ability to produce more railguns at will).

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I've realized the machine that days it allows for transmitting power between planets... only does it if you supply the batteries and then ship them between worlds. This whole time I was trying to figure out why my venus-like planet covered in solar panels wasn't sending all that power to my other two planets.

spckr
Aug 3, 2014

here we go

Jossar posted:

Working my way through T3 Science. I'm surprised that being lazy/inefficient (i'm still doing a ton of work in the replicator with stockpiles of basic ores) has worked so far, and honestly if I was moderately patient I could probably make it the rest of the way through T3 with my already in place infrastructure. But this is probably a good time to go back and at least get the first couple tiers of goods better automated before production costs start ramping up again.

Also it feels like T2 science cube production sucks compared to T1/T3 and i'm not sure why. My intuitive guess is it's because Hydrogen is harder to produce in as large quantities as the other stuff at this phase of the game, but it's probably just because I need to build more oil refineries.

You can burn off excess hydrogen and oil in power plants, so you don't need to balance production for oil refining

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jossar posted:

I think T2 is more frustrating because now you have to worry about balancing multiple output production. Once you research x-ray crystallography you can make hydrogen reactors to turn excess fuel into hydrogen and carbon, which is helpful.

spckr posted:

You can burn off excess hydrogen and oil in power plants, so you don't need to balance production for oil refining

My power production dramatically outstrips my usage at this point via solar power etc, so that's less effective. Once you get fusion you can turn excess hydrogen into deuterium, into fusion fuel batteries.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm beginning to wonder how much value there is in perfectly balancing input/output at all, besides happy lizard brain buttons, but I'm still in the horrifying spaghetti stage

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Jossar posted:

I've also felt a lot less punished for being lazy about automating production buildings compared to Factorio, at least at the T2 stage of the game. It feels like you need much fewer buildings to utilize veins and set up production chains, so building 5-10 smelters/assemblers/whatever as the need arises has felt like a perfectly fine solution, although I bet this changes once you get off the first planet/want to start sending things between planets.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Manyorcas posted:

I've also felt a lot less punished for being lazy about automating production buildings compared to Factorio, at least at the T2 stage of the game. It feels like you need much fewer buildings to utilize veins and set up production chains, so building 5-10 smelters/assemblers/whatever as the need arises has felt like a perfectly fine solution, although I bet this changes once you get off the first planet/want to start sending things between planets.

So far... no not really.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 23, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I have to think it's still worth automating assembly of assemblers, though - then again maybe what I should be doing is stockpiling raw materials instead of the factorio main bus method

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I've noticed some people making confused posts about sorters, and I'm here to set the record straight. As you can see in the tooltip, they transfer 1.5/3/6 items per Meter (1 planetary grid unit) per Second. If you have them going 1 meter, they will achieve 'full thruput'. If you have them going 2 meters, they will take twice as long, so their transfer rate will be half. If you have them going 3 meters, they will take thrice as long, so their transfer rate will be a third.

The T3 sorters get stack upgrades, though, so eventually they can achieve ludicrous speed even at max range.

Also, pay attention to the tips on the right hand side of the screen. When placing splitters, there's a hint for Tab to toggle placement options (cross, raised cross, in line 2 level).

e. Also, the devs clearly designed the assembler ratios with the sorter speed in mind. A t1 sorter moving 2 meters will transfer 0.75 items per second. A t1 assembler will consume 0.75 items per second for a craft that says 1 item per second.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 23, 2021

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I just can’t figure out the interplanetary shipping, can use some help. I want to ship titanium from planet A to planet B.

Both planets have an interstellar logistics station on them. Each station has 2 drones and 4 vessels, just for the heck of it. Both stations are fully charged. Both stations have conveyor -> box setups connected, one as a feeder, the other as a dump. Station A is full of titanium.

Station A is set to local supply and remote demand.
Station B is set to local demand and remote supply.

Nothing is happening. What am I missing?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Was pretty happy to get the kinks worked out of this hydrogen breeding loop for automating T2 science:

The first line of refineries on the left crack crude into light and hydrogen. The hydrogen feeds the loop via a belt "onramp" that works how it does in Factorio, where the return loop belt only inserts into an already-full straight section of belt if there's a gap. This makes sure the crude crackers don't back up.

The second line of light crackers output hydrogen onto 2 separate belts: the inner one is the loop, the outer one is intended for output to T2 science. The output belt feeds a splitter at the bottom, where half returns to the breeder loop, again via a sideways belt, and the rest to science.

Even though theoretically the ratios of graphite and hydrogen should be fine with just the output from the refineries, if the hydrogen belts get totally full they get locked up and won't restart, so I have a trickle of graphite coming from coal smelters that makes sure that doesn't happen. Consumption from that line is minimal but necessary to stabilize.

If anyone has a better setup I'd be interested to see it.

Bonus shot of item mall:

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 23, 2021

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Got all my warpers built and plenty of fuel and such only to discover you need purple science to let your mech actually warp :negative:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Your setup is much prettier than mine.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I sure hope another planet nearby has all the basic resources 'cos good lord I'd have to tear down so much to fix the spaghetti i made

I think I'd literally rather start over lol

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Ciaphas posted:

I sure hope another planet nearby has all the basic resources 'cos good lord I'd have to tear down so much to fix the spaghetti i made

I think I'd literally rather start over lol

The nearest planet to the star tends to have iron and copper from what Ive seen. I just mine it, smelt the basics, then ship it to my main planet.

spckr
Aug 3, 2014

here we go

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I just can’t figure out the interplanetary shipping, can use some help. I want to ship titanium from planet A to planet B.

Both planets have an interstellar logistics station on them. Each station has 2 drones and 4 vessels, just for the heck of it. Both stations are fully charged. Both stations have conveyor -> box setups connected, one as a feeder, the other as a dump. Station A is full of titanium.

Station A is set to local supply and remote demand.
Station B is set to local demand and remote supply.

Nothing is happening. What am I missing?

I made the same mistake at first. "Local" means intraplanetary, "remote" means interplanetary. So you need to set A to remote supply and B to remote demand.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
The input/output rate of a sorter(arm) changes depending on how long it is. I don't know the exact value but it is significant.
Also, you can see the blue projectiles of your solar panel cannons while flying through space. Reminded me a bit of the ion cannons in The Empire Strikes Back. :)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

spckr posted:

I made the same mistake at first. "Local" means intraplanetary, "remote" means interplanetary. So you need to set A to remote supply and B to remote demand.
Oh sonoffa

Thanks a lot, that was driving me nuts.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ok, I guess I'll cave on DSP.

How significant is stars not being attached to what I presume are the travel lines? Am I gonna be in trouble if a rare star type (black hole, neutron star, white dwarf) isn't connected to the network? I assume they might have some kind of special purpose/resource.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Was having a pain with spaceflight with using the keyboard until I finally realized that in space just holding W will point you to wherever your square reticle is.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I decided to roll some seeds to see how the starting system can vary. Orbital bodies listed starting from the closest to the star.

Seed 0: Starter next to sun, Ice planet with reversed rotation, arid desert
Seed 1: Lava, gobi, starter
Seed 2: Lava, and gas giant with 2 satellites: arid desert and starter
Seed 3: Gobi, starter, Ice field gelisol
Seed 4: Arid desert tidal locked to star, starter, barren desert
Seed 5: Lava planet with orbital resonance 1:4, Ashen gelisol (not sure what that means), starter
Seed 6: Lava, starter, barren desert
Seed 7: Lava, starter, ice field gelisol
Seed 8: Gobi, gas giant with 2 satellites: arid desert, starter
Seed 9: Lava, starter, ice field gelisol
Seed 10: Lava, arid desert reversed rotation, starter

Definitely quite a variety here. I especially like the look of that tidal locked desert... solar, anyone?

edit: continued rolling seeds. 18 has a lava planet with horizontal rotation. loving wild. Axial inclination of -78 degrees.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 23, 2021

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ok, I guess I'll cave on DSP.

How significant is stars not being attached to what I presume are the travel lines? Am I gonna be in trouble if a rare star type (black hole, neutron star, white dwarf) isn't connected to the network? I assume they might have some kind of special purpose/resource.

So far (which is to say T3 Science), 1/2 way through the game or so (maybe 1/3, it's hard to tell how long the later phases going to be), I haven't even left my local star system. If there's a big deal associated with the other star systems it seems like it's not detectable until endgame.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
OK, I've maxed out all the blue and red research and need to find another planet for silicon and titanium. I've checked the tech tree but it definitely looks like that I won't be able to establish an interplanetary convoy without either of them anyway, so it seems like it's time to leave the first planet and build a factory on a new one with the resources I need, yes?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Finally started up my dyson swarm and settled a second world to get some titanium. Got about 75% equatorial solar coverage and a swarm receiver on the north pole. God this game is pretty sometimes.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

toasterwarrior posted:

OK, I've maxed out all the blue and red research and need to find another planet for silicon and titanium. I've checked the tech tree but it definitely looks like that I won't be able to establish an interplanetary convoy without either of them anyway, so it seems like it's time to leave the first planet and build a factory on a new one with the resources I need, yes?

Well, silicon you can produce via stone on the starter world, although it's more convenient elsewhere. But yeah, for titanium you have to manually go out to another planet, set up factories, and then haul it to and from the next planet until a good bit into the T3 science tree.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Jossar posted:

Well, silicon you can produce via stone on the starter world, although it's more convenient elsewhere. But yeah, for titanium you have to manually go out to another planet, set up factories, and then haul it to and from the next planet until a good bit into the T3 science tree.

Oh dope, thanks for reminding me. Guess I can spend some more time here then.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Volmarias posted:

My favorite part is that they got a voice actor (and honestly, not a bad one, unless this is TTS and its just gotten that good) to speak all of the tutorial and info box lines. But, none of the script that they read is well translated, so you end up with silky smooth line delivery of goofy sentences.

Welcome to the Actual universe. Please help us to maintain homeland, if you can get used to the laws of physics.

Ambaire posted:

e. Also, the devs clearly designed the assembler ratios with the sorter speed in mind. A t1 sorter moving 2 meters will transfer 0.75 items per second. A t1 assembler will consume 0.75 items per second for a craft that says 1 item per second.

i've noticed that a lot of the design of things makes mental math easy for optimizing throughput. i appreciate this level of forethought in not making the game unnecessarily complex, so that all the complex stuff is the fun and not the frustrating stuff

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 24, 2021

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I tried DSP today and blink it's 6 hours later. DSP is weapons grade, so watch yourself.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

As someone who never played Factorio (didn't like how it looks, its a me problem, I know) and only played Satisfactory a bit. I find myself greatly frustrated by these inserters. I wish I could just run the belts straight into the machines.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Guess I'm kinda lost on DSP now. I've got lots of blue and red tech cubes being made and I feel like I'm just standing around waiting for all the tech tree to fill out with nothing really exciting or new that will break out something to actually do right now.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Philthy posted:

Guess I'm kinda lost on DSP now. I've got lots of blue and red tech cubes being made and I feel like I'm just standing around waiting for all the tech tree to fill out with nothing really exciting or new that will break out something to actually do right now.

Get yourself the ability to get into space (mecha drive 2) and start working on getting a titanium planet set up.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Philthy posted:

Make sure you're working on making silicone from rocks for the next stuff. It takes forever but at the beginning is easier than going to another planet specifically for it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i've decided to do something completely different for my first playthrough because well, why not. i managed to automate up to purple science without moving any buildings or belts after they start production, but i think it's finally time to unravel the spaghetti and make a real factory. i tried, but this is as far as i can go lmao

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

dang this game is pretty

also, good criminey the hunger for hydrogen that red has :stare:

knob
May 25, 2005

knob
I didn't notice it mentioned in DSP's tutorial, but I accidentally discovered that CTRL-clicking an empty spot in your inventory will automatically sort it and stack items. If you control-click an empty slot in your inventory with a storage box open, it'll automatically sort/stack your inventory into the storage box.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Ciaphas posted:

dang this game is pretty

also, good criminey the hunger for hydrogen that red has :stare:

It's weird, there's a huge bottleneck for hydrogen that then becomes a huge excess very quickly.

knob posted:

I didn't notice it mentioned in DSP's tutorial, but I accidentally discovered that CTRL-clicking an empty spot in your inventory will automatically sort it and stack items. If you control-click an empty slot in your inventory with a storage box open, it'll automatically sort/stack your inventory into the storage box.

The little "back arrow" at the top right of an inventory/storage also does this

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

knob posted:

If you do it while you have the mecha-menu open it will also auto-fill your fuel. Good if you've got a pile of Graphite, Hydrogen Cells or Deuterium Cells in your inventory you carry around to stock up with now and then. Not so good if you've got a pile of random crap you wanna use for crafting and now have oil and junk in your inventory.

Anyways, after Billions of years of aggression from the stars we can finally answer the cosmic bombardment with our own! All guns open fire!

Not shown: me putting this setup on the wrong pole so I have to spend 20 minutes waiting before my guns can get an angle to actually shoot. Orbital mechanics and seasons get wonky when you start on a moon so you've got an orbital inclination on top of your orbital inclination.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've got a pretty good stock of Mk3 grabbers and Mk2 Conveyors going finally and man, it is a pain in the rear end to replace stuff right now. They mentioned plans for upgrades but right now you have to delete everything and rebuild. Fortunately it's not too hard to delete a section of conveyor and put a new one in the space and move down the line like that. You can delete the conveyor from below a sorter and the sorters stay in place so that part's not too bad. Upgrading the sorters themselves though is a bit of a pain in the dick, I'm pretty much just waiting until I spot a bottleneck and slapping faster belts/sorters in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Alkydere posted:

If you do it while you have the mecha-menu open it will also auto-fill your fuel. Good if you've got a pile of Graphite, Hydrogen Cells or Deuterium Cells in your inventory you carry around to stock up with now and then. Not so good if you've got a pile of random crap you wanna use for crafting and now have oil and junk in your inventory.

Anyways, after Billions of years of aggression from the stars we can finally answer the cosmic bombardment with our own! All guns open fire!

Not shown: me putting this setup on the wrong pole so I have to spend 20 minutes waiting before my guns can get an angle to actually shoot. Orbital mechanics and seasons get wonky when you start on a moon so you've got an orbital inclination on top of your orbital inclination.

that circling belt on line of latitude close to the pole is a really cool looking build

I just got to the titanium smelting :toot: now to go back and do silicon :shepicide: