Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

IUG posted:

I think that's a setting in VLC.

You're absolutely right, thanks!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

FMguru posted:

Control Up-Arrow is a really handy keyboard shortcut.

Control Down-Arrow too

and if you use multiple spaces, control left/right arrow

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Two-finger Swipe Up: Expose
Two-finger Swipe Down: App specific expose
Three-finger Swipe Up: Show desktop

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Ah lovely, the hard drive crashed on the used MacBook Pro I got so I now I have to buy a new copy of OS X since I was never logged into an iCloud account on the Macbook pro. Cool.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Ah lovely, the hard drive crashed on the used MacBook Pro I got so I now I have to buy a new copy of OS X since I was never logged into an iCloud account on the Macbook pro. Cool.

You should be able to use Internet Recovery (hold Cmd-Opt-R) to fish out an appropriate OS for your computer once it's got a new hard drive. It'll download some version of the OS directly from Apple's servers.

(If the mac is old enough not to have Internet Recovery, it's old enough to have a hardware restore or system CD-ROM. Use that instead if this is the case.)

(Also, Apple doesn't sell macOS any more - they give it away for free.)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Quackles posted:

You should be able to use Internet Recovery (hold Cmd-Opt-R) to fish out an appropriate OS for your computer once it's got a new hard drive. It'll download some version of the OS directly from Apple's servers.

(If the mac is old enough not to have Internet Recovery, it's old enough to have a hardware restore or system CD-ROM. Use that instead if this is the case.)

(Also, Apple doesn't sell macOS any more - they give it away for free.)

I see. Too old for internet recovery (although should be able to update firmware to enable it but that apparently requires macOS to be installed). The buying macOS was what the internet told me (and there is an option buy the older versions @ Apple) was the solution to the “This item is temporarily unavailable” error as my apple id is not associated to a macOS. This is a mid 2010 Macbook pro.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

MrOnBicycle posted:

I see. Too old for internet recovery (although should be able to update firmware to enable it but that apparently requires macOS to be installed). The buying macOS was what the internet told me (and there is an option buy the older versions @ Apple) was the solution to the “This item is temporarily unavailable” error as my apple id is not associated to a macOS. This is a mid 2010 Macbook pro.

Ah, I see. It's a pity the original discs didn't come with it. Good luck!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

MrOnBicycle posted:

Do you have access to another Mac? If so, use it to follow the directions/links here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

to download 10.13 High Sierra (last supported version for a mid-2010 MBP according to everymac.com) and then create a bootable USB installer key, which you can use to install onto a blank drive on the MBP.

If you need to download an installer without an account, you can try the installinstallmacos.py script from the Mac sysadmin community. I don't think it requires being signed in to an Apple ID.

https://github.com/grahampugh/macadmin-scripts

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Quackles posted:

Ah, I see. It's a pity the original discs didn't come with it. Good luck!

Yeah it was free and was going to get thrown in the trash due to bulging battery. Works perfectly fine though after I bought a new battery and put a spare SSD into it. :) ¨

BobHoward posted:

Do you have access to another Mac? If so, use it to follow the directions/links here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

to download 10.13 High Sierra (last supported version for a mid-2010 MBP according to everymac.com) and then create a bootable USB installer key, which you can use to install onto a blank drive on the MBP.

If you need to download an installer without an account, you can try the installinstallmacos.py script from the Mac sysadmin community. I don't think it requires being signed in to an Apple ID.

https://github.com/grahampugh/macadmin-scripts

Thanks! I'll give it a try the next time I'm visiting my brother (which might be a while due to covid :P).

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I replaced Chrome with Edge after the recent things about slowdown. Not sure it has had much impact, but seems OK. The on start-up actions seem a bit strange. I can either 'open a new tab' or 'continue where you left off'.

On Chrome, if I used 'continue where you left off', then searched for something with it closed, it would open up the search in a new tab in that same window. In Edge, it will open my old window and then open that new search in a new window. Any way to make it just use the same window?

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
What is a good IRC client for Mac. I've always used Emacs - ERC but Emacs on Darwin doesn't seem to obey the kernel rules like it should

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Cheese Thief posted:

What is a good IRC client for Mac. I've always used Emacs - ERC but Emacs on Darwin doesn't seem to obey the kernel rules like it should

I use Textual.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

Cheese Thief posted:

I never liked Vimium. So did you do the Oh My ZSH framework? I never bothered to setup .zsh and would enjoy the environment more if putting some effort into making iTerm2 customized.

I guess you're just going to have to hit tab a lot, or use w3m/lynx. A framework isn't necessary for customisation. I've got a small amount of configuration split between .zshenv, .zprofile, and .zshrc. That's essentially what those frameworks are trying to abstract away from you, but it seems like a high price to pay to me.

Cheese Thief posted:

Along the same vein, if you're looking for mouse-free IRC, you could try Irrsi or Weechat.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Cheese Thief posted:

I'd recommend Colloquy, but you might have to do a bit of digging to find the Mac version nowadays.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Seconding Colloquy https://github.com/colloquy/colloquy

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

ArcticZombie posted:

I guess you're just going to have to hit tab a lot, or use w3m/lynx. A framework isn't necessary for customisation. I've got a small amount of configuration split between .zshenv, .zprofile, and .zshrc. That's essentially what those frameworks are trying to abstract away from you, but it seems like a high price to pay to me.

Along the same vein, if you're looking for mouse-free IRC, you could try Irrsi or Weechat.

Hah.. w3m and lynx, don't forget eww in Emacs, that's the best. Right I just used a plugin for zsh but I don't remember what it was, it's as you say just easier to abstract away all the configs, or cherry pick the code to use for your own configs. I got really into Emacs more than bash hacking. So my terminal is a mess coming from the Linux world because I always just used bash.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Anyone using Forticlient 6.2 with Big Sur and SSLVPN? My DNS keeps dropping and it's really annoying. Wondering if anyone here has dealt with this.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
serif/affinity has a 50% off sale if anybody was waiting. Affinity photo is stupidly good value at that price

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Anyone using Forticlient 6.2 with Big Sur and SSLVPN? My DNS keeps dropping and it's really annoying. Wondering if anyone here has dealt with this.

I think there’s some broken extensions it uses that won’t work in Big Sur anymore. I’m using it for work, it’s working alright at the moment but throwing up error messages all the time.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Is there any value to setting up a network directory with AFP over SMB, reading a few things that say AFP is on its way out

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

the corona quid posted:

Is there any value to setting up a network directory with AFP over SMB, reading a few things that say AFP is on its way out

Apple designated AFP as deprecated as of OS X 10.9 Mavericks, over 7 years ago. APFS volumes cannot be shared over AFP, only SMB. So it's safe to say that yes, it's on its way out, they're just taking their time on pulling the plug for good.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think there’s some broken extensions it uses that won’t work in Big Sur anymore. I’m using it for work, it’s working alright at the moment but throwing up error messages all the time.

AFAIK this doesn't really apply to the SSLVPN. Only IPSEC? I'm getting no errors just every once in a while DNS silently breaks.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Also Adobe Photoshop Elements is available for a flat fee, and actually includes a lot of regular Photoshop's functionality.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Small White Dragon posted:

Also Adobe Photoshop Elements is available for a flat fee, and actually includes a lot of regular Photoshop's functionality.

Is it $75 better than Affinity Photo?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Photoshop still isn’t M1 native to my knowledge, I’m kinda done with Adobe. It’s a garbage fire. I’ve had zero issues with using Affinity Photo, why the hell would I pay any amount more for a worse experience

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I got to a similar place several years ago, realizing that my meager skills at photo editing could be served by GIMP. I'm certainly willing to drop 25bux on Affinity Photo if it's that much better, though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Affinity is worth every bit of what it costs. Coming from :filez: Photoshop I found it pretty easy to adapt in a way I could never with GIMP.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Photoshop spent all year touting their neural AI filters and they look like stuff you could do with Snapchat.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thanks for the unfortunate info about Time Machine sucking rear end y’all :unsmith: I still haven’t unfucked mine and got it to backup yet but I think I just need to find and delete the backup already on the Time Capsule. I don’t understand why it has to be so fussy. I literally just want a backup of all my computer every now and then, nothing crazy. C’mon Tim.

I wish Affinity would get their Lightroom equivalent out. Photo and Designer are both fantastic. I feel like a moron giving Adobe $20 a month but the cloud storage is legitimately handy. I’m still not sure if I trust it but it’s solid.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

So I'm really unhappy with VMware Fusion on Big Sur especially w/r/t it's limitations with Vagrant.

Is parallels any good? I see it has a free provider for vagrant with pretty much full private networking and port forwarding support.

I can go back to Virtualbox but to be honest I'm really not happy with it's performance. But also I'm not wild about Parallels pricing either!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Why will Big Sur not save my wallpaper on my second display ?
Every time I reboot it’s changed back to an old one (NOT a stock Apple one either)

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

If I already have Pixelmator Pro, is there a compelling reason to shell out for Affinity Photo?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CygnusTM posted:

If I already have Pixelmator Pro, is there a compelling reason to shell out for Affinity Photo?

Probably not but they also have a very generous 90-day trial you can test drive to see if it suites your needs.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

How well does Office 365 run on ~2014 era Macbook Pros? A colleague at work is still using Office 2011 and is thinking of upgrading, but I'm concerned it'll run like complete garbage.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Runs fine from an SSD. You should be grand.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm upgrading my 10 year old Mac Mini that I use as a media PC hooked up to my television with a new M1 mini. I'm wanting to properly dispose of the old mini but I want to of course zero the HD before it goes to the recycling center. Is there a way to do this with my 2015 MBP? Long ago I would put an old mac into target mode and connect with a firewire cable, but can this work with a USB cable? The Mini is running High Sierra 10.13.6

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

You could use a thunderbolt 2/3 cable to do it in target disk mode. But i would just encrypt your mac mini's hdd contents with FileVault from the Mac Mini itself then wipe it and the data won't be recoverable

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm upgrading my 10 year old Mac Mini that I use as a media PC hooked up to my television with a new M1 mini. I'm wanting to properly dispose of the old mini but I want to of course zero the HD before it goes to the recycling center. Is there a way to do this with my 2015 MBP? Long ago I would put an old mac into target mode and connect with a firewire cable, but can this work with a USB cable? The Mini is running High Sierra 10.13.6

You should be able to do that on the mini itself without much issue if you're still able to access recovery mode (⌘R on boot), which should be available from Sierra and onwards. From there, you can just open up the recovery mode disk utility and secure-erase the HD to various degrees depending on how thorough you want to be.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Tippis posted:

You should be able to do that on the mini itself without much issue if you're still able to access recovery mode (⌘R on boot), which should be available from Sierra and onwards. From there, you can just open up the recovery mode disk utility and secure-erase the HD to various degrees depending on how thorough you want to be.

That's even easier. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Last Chance posted:

You could use a thunderbolt 2/3 cable to do it in target disk mode. But i would just encrypt your mac mini's hdd contents with FileVault from the Mac Mini itself then wipe it and the data won't be recoverable

This is really the best option. Encrypt the drive with FileVault, boot into recovery mode. Then erase the partition and create a new one. No need for multi-pass writes. Even though the data can be recovered in its encrypted form, it's just so much gibberish since the key has been destroyed.