Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin and Kell (March 15-19, 1999)

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace was released in the United States on May 19, 1999; it was one of the most hyped movies of the year, and the first Star Wars movie released in sixteen years (the widest gap between Star Wars movies -- the gap between Episode III and Episode VII is just ten years), though notably there had been live-action Star Wars material between the two, the cutscenes for Star Wars: Dark Forces II - Jedi Knight, for one, with special effects by Industrial Light & Magic (the same people who did the special effects for the movies).

The movie was... Not terrible, but not good either.

Also yes, Vin absolutely murdered and ate Fenton before the birds reset time.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Are we supposed to dislike Keith? Cooper doesn't have a monopoly on the idea of retail blogs. It's not like he's getting paid for it, and Keith works in a totally different department so he would have completely different stories to tell.

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (March 1, 1951)

I'm reminded of the Boss Dharma from forever ago where the Ghana guy comments on how Korean people will go to work even in horrific, dangerous circumstances. It's not phrased as a compliment, the implication being that the modern capitalist work ethic sounds pretty nuts to people who haven't been conditioned to accept it. This comic intrigues me because it suggests there was a time during the postwar period where people were pushing back against this ideology in the United States but ultimately failed. The Dharma comic for reference, thumbnailed since it's a repost-

It is, for the record, also a fairly recent phenomenon in South Korea. Contrary to what you might have heard the infamous workaholic Korean culture only really started to be a thing in the eighties when the culture started to get hypercapitalistic. An old expression called "Korean time" is meant to denote people working slowly although it has long since faded to meaninglessness. German and Japanese culture were seen in the same stereotypical terms prior to the twentieth century, ridiculous though that may sound today. Yet despite the persistence hardworking German stereotype in actuality they have the shortest working days in Europe.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I feel this to my bones. I was a Kevin in middle and high school and got dismal grades in most subjects. My grades didn't necessarily reflect my grasp of the material or intelligence.

I cruised through elementary school and high school with my "half listen to the teacher, don't bother with homework or studying for exams" approach purely by being a moderately smart guy, which got me what would probably be a C/C+ average in the USA.

When I went into university and had to learn how to actually study (and was eventually diagnosed with ADHD) it was like running into a god drat brick wall. But it paid off with a graduating average of 4.42/5.

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

Everyone in Finland knows one of these guys. My brother is one of them! He's a carpenter so he actually has a job, but all of his spare time and spare money go into repairing an endless stream of cheap lovely cars he buys. When he gets one into working condition it doesn't interest him anymore and he sells it off, buying "a great deal" from one of his shady friends for a song, and the cycle begins again.

And I'm not talking about classic cars or anything, but like "I bought a '92 Volvo, it's OK except the windows don't work and it kind of doesn't steer to the right and the engine only starts if it's between 17 and 23 degrees and not too humid, and there's only one seat, but it was a good deal at 200 euros".

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 24, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean, I automatically assumed My Summer Car didn't come from nowhere.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

My Lovely Horse posted:

That game gives me such a feeling of... contentment, deep spiritual fulfillment. And I've only watched videos of someone else playing it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Cruel Little Stories

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nothing but the prospect of his own personal gratification can motivate Ed Kudlick to help those in need. He is incapable of seeing charity as anything other than a business transaction, and not only accepts this as a system, but also tries to game it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah, that's a good call.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Nothing but the prospect of his own personal gratification can motivate Ed Kudlick to help those in need. He is incapable of seeing charity as anything other than a business transaction, and not only accepts this as a system, but also tries to game it.

Mwweeeell he did give the guy a twenty before she kissed him, so I see it more as him being willing enough for random acts of kindness, but only truly committed to goodwill if the relation between giving and receiving is clearly stacked in his favor.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Weird rehabilitation/redemption arc for Dustin itt but hey.

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Sooo wait, if he's following all these safety protocol, why does he have to operate in secret out of the basement?

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin and Kell (March 15-19, 1999)

The masters of the time use it to see the Phantom Menace early. No wonder the Hellworld is so messed up.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/23/01

Greenda Starr 9/2/45

Smokey Stover 5/1-3/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Bonus political cartoon! Spotted this in the Tribune while collecting old Brendas. How can you hate those faces?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I once bought a Jr Bacon for a dude sitting on a corner with my preschool-aged daughter in the car, and I received so much praise for it that I definitely recognize that, even years later, I'm more likely to do it when she's with me than when she isn't.

So I reckon I get it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It's a minor complaint over all the rest of the insanity, but I'm just sort of struck how despite the buzzard having godlike power over their society's entire structure, she apparently couldn't be bothered to make a world where she wouldn't lose her day job for being a single mother. Why she even cares about having a day job in the first place, well, that's just another mystery.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
You don't need to stretch to hate Ed, give it a few dailies and we'll get a "Dustin is emotionally abused" strip again. Or Kelly is actually on a redemption arc, hah.

Primo avatar material today.

Excellent gloating.
Unicorn-worthy.

Both Wallace strips would make amazing animated gifs.. it really is a top 3 strip.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (May 26, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 26, 1999)

Garfield Classic (May 26, 1989)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Does this thread need to be reminded of Dustin's "VOTE 45" message from election day

The strip is bad at its core. Do not be fooled.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

That's a good lynx.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Foxtrot

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Doomykins posted:

You don't need to stretch to hate Ed, give it a few dailies and we'll get a "Dustin is emotionally abused" strip again. Or Kelly is actually on a redemption arc, hah.

I hate the writer. Ed is shown having the higher ground for talking poo poo all the time. Why not something where Dustin, who is consistently shat upon by everyone, has something nice happen as a result of some virtue he displays?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Alhazred posted:

TegneHanne

Plz don't doxx me.

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

Selachian posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac

I want this Cathy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (January 27, 1974)

Funky WInkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Life (With Skippy) (January 22, 1925)

Elsewhere in the issue:

(Don Herold Jr.)

(Charles Forbell, the guy who did the ad designs for Mr. Peanut and a nice 1913 Sunday strip called Naughty Pete. At least I think so. These signatures are gonna be the death of me.)

And yeah, this is where the thing you might've seen on the socials came from:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Jun 8-9, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 9-12, 1988)

Robbie and Bobby

(Jul 4, 2018)

(Jul 6, 2018)

(Jul 9, 2018)

Same

(Jul 11, 2018)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Have some low effort political commentary:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Vargo posted:

Wallace

It's a nice touch that Wallace is into pinball instead of video games, and I just want to take a moment to appreciate the detail that went into the store in the Sunday strip.

Wallace is such a good comic.

The Dinette Set snipes.

Working Daze jumps on the bandwagon like it always does.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix reminds us once again to Occupy Richie Rich.

Cul De Sac gets rave reviews.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise in Death Symbol

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

:iiam:

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Boooo!

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Nothing to be afraid of. Just surrounded by lava and checking out some strange fiery lizards.

Flash Forward

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

No new Rae the Doe on weekends!

Rae the Doe's web archives

Rae the Doe #400

and with that, we've gone through every single strip in the archives! Thank you for sticking through it, and hope you liked it! I don't know if I'll pick something up to replace it or if I just do 5 strips now, we'll see.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac gets rave reviews.

Reading this has put a smile on my face. I'm glad Petey and Andre's project went well. :3:

riderchop posted:

Rae the Doe's web archives

Rae the Doe #400

and with that, we've gone through every single strip in the archives! Thank you for sticking through it, and hope you liked it! I don't know if I'll pick something up to replace it or if I just do 5 strips now, we'll see.

Thanks for posting the web archives. I've really enjoyed Rae the Doe and it's super stretched out puns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Yeesh, I don't know how long it's been in reality (nor will I check), but I feel like Mary's been yammering on about her smoked salmon from Freda's Market for ages. It's like while we were watching Saul walk his dog, she was a part of some intense smoked salmon related plotline that we weren't made privy to and maybe she even saved Freda's from closing down and she is now taking a Mary Worth Victory Lap that we have no context for and that Saul is intruding upon.

Ah well, I guess the old girl is entitled to have her own life outside of the strip.