Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Shiroc posted:

Hello Goons (lurkers don't look). Digital codes here:

Godzilla King of the Monsters
7S0H3LKUPBQWB136

Into The Spider Verse
34PJ 5A3R FVGE QLY5

Ghost In The Shell
C86ED719GZ7MPWD7

Aladdin (animated)
AL4YX2A54XM

Gremlins
71NKGAZ6KE54J1Z6

Grabbed King of the Monsters. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
lol totally forgot they made a live action Aladdin.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hell yeah, Gremlins! Thanks, dude.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Thanks for Ghost in the Shell!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I snagged spider-verse thank you!!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

feedmyleg posted:

I felt it necessarily to clarify, lest someone get stuck with that one lurking in their digital collections for eternity.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

feedmyleg posted:

I feel like the live action Disney films have been completely forgotten, until another one comes out.

I don't see anyone using the Will Smith genie, it's always Robin Williams. Nobody cares about the real catsn Lion King.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Cemetry Gator posted:

I feel like the live action Disney films have been completely forgotten, until another one comes out.

I don't see anyone using the Will Smith genie, it's always Robin Williams. Nobody cares about the real catsn Lion King.

It reminds me of how Roger Ebert closed his review of Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes - " Ten years from now, it will be the 1968 version that people are still renting."

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Cemetry Gator posted:

I mean their literal existence was as a cheap way for Bob Iger to top out his contractual bonus payout since he had risers included for every year over year improvement on revenue for the studio - and what easier way to juice up that revenue than to remake the studio’s sole established, meaningful canon in live action?

It’s just ironic that, much like 98% of the studio’s live action output since they started, they end up being forgettable crap slid away forever once money has been squeezed from it. They’re the sawdust of cinema.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
On the other hand, Disney’s The Three Musketeers starring Charlie Sheen is ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

The Cameo posted:

I mean their literal existence was as a cheap way for Bob Iger to top out his contractual bonus payout since he had risers included for every year over year improvement on revenue for the studio - and what easier way to juice up that revenue than to remake the studio’s sole established, meaningful canon in live action?

It’s just ironic that, much like 98% of the studio’s live action output since they started, they end up being forgettable crap slid away forever once money has been squeezed from it. They’re the sawdust of cinema.

Hey, at least sawdust has a purpose.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sawdust and live action Disney remakes are both used for making bread.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can't wait til kids who watched the live-action versions write thinkpieces in 20 years about how much better they are than the originals and how we're all just greybeards all just blinded by nostalgia

But I'm really excited to read their scathing reviews of the VR threemakes.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

Can't wait til kids who watched the live-action versions write thinkpieces in 20 years about how much better they are than the originals and how we're all just greybeards all just blinded by nostalgia

But I'm really excited to read their scathing reviews of the VR threemakes.

I don’t think that’ll happen friend. The Disney pipeline has ensured that failson children who loved Disney movies in the nineties force it upon their kids today.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Disney are a bunch of cowards for not sticking to their guns and making more ambitious live action films like The Black Hole.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I still think the Jungle Book one is pretty all right.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

Disney are a bunch of cowards for not sticking to their guns and making more ambitious live action films like The Black Hole.

Honestly the main reason to watch Black Hole is that late-70s post-Star Wars sci-fi aesthetic. If you did it as a modern high-tech sci-fi thriller it might be actually good but it wouldn't be as neat to look at.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

I still think the Jungle Book one is pretty all right.

That reminds me that Disney did a live action version in the 90s. I don't think I've seen it since it came out. I'm gonna have to revisit it.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Detective No. 27 posted:

That reminds me that Disney did a live action version in the 90s. I don't think I've seen it since it came out. I'm gonna have to revisit it.

I remember seeing it in the cinema as a kid and being really loving pissed off that the bear didn't dance and sing.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

RichterIX posted:

Changing "I'm so hosed up" to "I'm the lowest of the low" is really stupid and undercuts that scene really badly imho

See, I always thought the unneeded profanity was what took away from that scene. The latter is closer to what I took from it.

I don't really get attached to any translation because they're all interpretation.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Honestly the main reason to watch Black Hole is that late-70s post-Star Wars sci-fi aesthetic. If you did it as a modern high-tech sci-fi thriller it might be actually good but it wouldn't be as neat to look at.

While it's not perfect I think the pros outweigh the cons. The cast is great, it has the perfect scene chewing villain, there's unexpected creepy horrible things going on, and the aesthetic as you mentioned. That score is absolutely haunting. And the sheer scope of the film's ambition alone makes it worthwhile. I love it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rocco posted:

See, I always thought the unneeded profanity was what took away from that scene. The latter is closer to what I took from it.
I'm so hosed up is exactly what everyone was thinking at the moment, and it's exactly what breaks the audience from the disbelief they have at what just transpired.

Lowest of the low isn't as impactful, nor is it as elegant and succinct. Even if they had changed it to "I'm garbage" it doesn't convey the disgust and regret and resignation.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Rocco posted:

I don't really get attached to any translation because they're all interpretation.

If it isn't in the "Rebuild in 5 Minutes" video exactly as I remember it I'll storm a capitol

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm pretty sure this and Anaconda are the reasons I'm afraid of snakes. The live action The Jungle Book isn't great, but it's got good sequences in it, like that.

Speaking of live-action Disney movies, I think it's interesting how Disney got Brian De Palma to film a live action sci-fi film for them, before the big wave of Epic Theater-Experience Sci-Fi films like Gravity and Interstellar, and it even has a ride built for it that's still super popular, and yet no one ever talks about that movie. Edited by Paul Hirsch, DP is Stephen H. Burum, Ennio Morricone score, pretty good cast, and it's never discussed in regards to De Palma or Disney (it's a Touchstone / Buena Vista flick).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
To be honest, I totally forgot about The Black Hole, and hadn't thought about it since probably the 80's when I probably watched part of it, before being sent to bed, on The Wonderful World of Disney, or whatever variant it was in 1986 on ABC.

I'll probably have to seek it out, but, I'm guessing it's mostly forgotten because as mentioned a few posts back, Disney's live action output was always meant as a quick cash grab and meant to be forgotten.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Flight of the Navigator on BD, plz Disney.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The Black Hole also isn’t very good. The production design is great and the Cygnus is the best part of the movie, but all I remember about the rest of it is melodrama and some insanely annoying robots.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The thing I remember most about The Black Hole was having one of those book-and-record deals as a kid where the story was all about the bumbling robots. Then I tried watching the movie and kid-me was just befuddled that the robots were not the main characters.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I definitely have the "turn the page" chime etched into my brain. I feel as if I heard it today, I would instinctively turn the page of whatever I had in my hands.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Splint Chesthair posted:

The thing I remember most about The Black Hole was having one of those book-and-record deals as a kid where the story was all about the bumbling robots. Then I tried watching the movie and kid-me was just befuddled that the robots were not the main characters.

When you cast Slim Pickens as a robot, you're gonna get exactly what you'd expect from casting Slim Pickens as a robot.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

To be honest, I totally forgot about The Black Hole, and hadn't thought about it since probably the 80's when I probably watched part of it, before being sent to bed, on The Wonderful World of Disney, or whatever variant it was in 1986 on ABC.

I'll probably have to seek it out, but, I'm guessing it's mostly forgotten because as mentioned a few posts back, Disney's live action output was always meant as a quick cash grab and meant to be forgotten.

The Black Hole was one of the most expensive movies ever made up to that point so I have a hard time thinking it was intended to just be a throwaway feature. A lot of the movie's flaws come from the studio bickering with the director and after a certain point they had to start cutting poo poo because the budget was already too high.

david_a posted:

The Black Hole also isn’t very good. The production design is great and the Cygnus is the best part of the movie, but all I remember about the rest of it is melodrama and some insanely annoying robots.

Don't talk poo poo about Roddy McDowall.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Black Hole was different, it was meant to be a big deal, had a pretty good budget and lots of hype and I believe was the first PG movie they released (or it was one of the first.)

It started development before Star Wars came out but you can tell how the studio pivoted to try and make it more like Star Wars. At least one of the actors complained that they didn't know what movie they were making day to day, it's very... conflicted.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Disney is putting Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 back on Bluray, but only for members of their movie club.

http://thedisneymovieclub.com/vemail7/dn/hosted/email/c444E92101012096.aspx

I be never heard of the third movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

IUG posted:

Disney is putting Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 back on Bluray, but only for members of their movie club.

It’s a small compilation of Mickey shorts they put out a few years ago. Pretty much exactly what you’d expect would be included, but also a couple of the newer (and excellent) shorts where Chris Diamantopoulos voices Mickey.

It’s an absolute travesty that Disney refuses to put out some kind of updated blu Disney Treasures collections. It wouldn’t be as big an issue if they would just put everything on +, but even that selection is limited.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s a small compilation of Mickey shorts they put out a few years ago. Pretty much exactly what you’d expect would be included, but also a couple of the newer (and excellent) shorts where Chris Diamantopoulos voices Mickey.

I really love those new shorts. They're so loving funny.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

IUG posted:

I'd care if it was UHD, but it isn't, so pass for me.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'd care if it was UHD, but it isn't, so pass for me.

I want UHD, but I've been wanting a bluray of this for a while now. It's my last Disney animated film still on DVD since it's stupidly been vaulted.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I really love those new shorts. They're so loving funny.

POTATO. LAND!

I’d pay a very dumb amount of money to have them all on blu with commentary from the voice cast.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Fantasia 2000 looks more dated than the original

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

RIP Videoscope magazine :(