Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Hmmm let me think about it, I'm in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im dying from the music switch

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Looks like it's going to be good/bad in roughly the same way King of the Monsters was

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvs0-jmZVaU
This looks fun, Frank Grillo in an action movie Groundhog Day.

Edit: Trailer doesn't say this but it comes to Hulu March 5th.
This is the stupidest poo poo I've ever seen and I really want to watch it was my reaction to all of these.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

What are some good Tank vs Glass Cannon movies?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

It's leaked like well over a year ago but that trailer also has two glimpses at Mechagodzilla

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
CGI looks pretty bad but I don't care

Let me see big monkey fight atomic robot lizard

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Tim Whatley posted:

It's leaked like well over a year ago but that trailer also has two glimpses at Mechagodzilla

Kind of surprised they would lead with that in the trailer but I guess if people already know then it's just more potential ~*hype*~. The trailer itself looked...fine? The music shift was pretty bad though. Lot of otherwise good actors in there apparently phoning it in for a nice check. They really should've gotten Gareth Edwards to come back for this one.

I guess I'm curious about why Godzilla did a heel turn and where Kong got his lizard-smashing hammer. There are spaceships in the background of a bunch of shots there so I'm assuming the answer is "aliens".

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Mat Cauthon posted:

I guess I'm curious about why Godzilla did a heel turn and where Kong got his lizard-smashing hammer. There are spaceships in the background of a bunch of shots there so I'm assuming the answer is "aliens".

Pretty sure aliens are the original origin of Mechagodzilla so it lines up, and instantly squashes the question of how humans could have made such a thing in the first place, and in secret. Now all you need is for whoever found this ancient tech to throw a kaiju skin on it and start a raucous for reasons.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Introducing aliens wouldn't be out of line anyways. They already said that Ghidorah was an alien in KOTM.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm just a dang sucker for a dang monster movie.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
When exactly are you guys seeing Mechagodzilla, I can't find it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Syncopated posted:

About 4 seconds in the shot of people running underground. From the Godzilla thread:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Syncopated posted:

(Images)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
People who go through trailers frame by frame have probably already read the spoilers anyway.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 24, 2021

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Wake me up when they replace the human characters with Son of Godzilla

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Snooze Cruise posted:

im dying from the music switch

I was really expecting a remake of the P-Diddy song when I heard "yeah, c'mon" but that was probably intentional.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/n65HO5P.mp4

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why are people spoiling that poo poo

this is a movie about a large ape fistfighting a lizard

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Large ape fisting a lizard would be the Wood Rocket version.

Which one will April O'Neil play?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If the battle between Kong and Godzilla isn't like 50 minutes long it'll be a real waste of a movie. Nobody cares about the humans. It should just be two CGI monsters beating the poo poo out of each other. They move from a jungle to a volcano to an ocean to an island or whatever. Kong picks up the Eiffel Tower to use as a sword and Godzilla kicks the Chicago Bean like a soccer ball. Epic movies aren't self-indulgent enough these days.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vegetable posted:

If the battle between Kong and Godzilla isn't like 50 minutes long it'll be a real waste of a movie. Nobody cares about the humans. It should just be two CGI monsters beating the poo poo out of each other. They move from a jungle to a volcano to an ocean to an island or whatever. Kong picks up the Eiffel Tower to use as a sword and Godzilla kicks the Chicago Bean like a soccer ball. Epic movies aren't self-indulgent enough these days.

Spoiler alert: 5/8ths of it is going to be focused on the humans, if not more.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

But what if the human is a giant Jason Statham, the same size as the other two?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The MSJ posted:

But what if the human is a giant Jason Statham, the same size as the other two?

Kaiju Statham’s been done and it was good as hell.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
That reminds me I haven't seen King of the Monsters, just how bad is it?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, where are your expectations? It's a total mess of a movie and has a real dumb family drama at its center that is not very engaging. The story doesn't make a lot of sense and is goofy as hell. It squanders a lot of good opportunities. But. It's chock full of monsters and destruction and there's an electric dragon with 3 heads and a volcano-pterodactyl whose wings flap and destroy cities by sheer air displacement and there's super weird hollow earth poo poo and some incredibly wacky lore-building for a summer blockbuster. So it depends what you want out of a Godzilla movie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's sort of it's own thing.

It is nowhere near as good as G'14 or Skull Island. The action is serviceable but the story is a loving mess and the human drama distracts from everything. There is no sense of awe like the other 2 movies created. Just a mishmash of garbage.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Collateral posted:

That reminds me I haven't seen King of the Monsters, just how bad is it?

It's not bad it just doesn't do anything as well as the predecessor. The monster fights are serviceable but there's not enough of them by like a third. Probably comes down to how much you like the Stranger Things girl or the dad from Friday Night Lights. Charles Dance is in there having a good time if nothing else.

There are worst ways to spend two hours.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Yeah, it wasn't bad, just very very dumb.

Mat Cauthon posted:

the dad from Friday Night Lights.

Aside from Jackson's King Kong, I don't think I have seen in any roles that where is not Dad.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mat Cauthon posted:

Charles Dance is in there having a good time if nothing else.

Charles Dance looks really bored the few times he shows up.

Collateral posted:

I would argue that it's both dumb and bad. The plot doesn't make much sense and it's boring to watch.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 25, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Is KoM on Netflix?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is KoM on Netflix?

It’s on HBO Max

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
There's a scene in King of the Monsters where the humans are flying a giant stealth bomber at max speed towards an alien lightning lizard god to lure an enormous lava pterodactyl that flies at the speed of sound into a fight with it.

I liked the movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s on HBO Max

Piracy it is.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

AngryBooch posted:

There's a scene in King of the Monsters where the humans are flying a giant stealth bomber at max speed towards an alien lightning lizard god to lure an enormous lava pterodactyl that flies at the speed of sound into a fight with it.

I liked the movie.

yea its a shame about all the other parts

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Isn't most of the world hosed up at the end of KoM? They're kind of running out of places for Godzilla to destroy.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Isn't most of the world hosed up at the end of KoM? They're kind of running out of places for Godzilla to destroy.

I didn't see KoM, but when I watched the Godzilla vs. Kong trailer I assumed it wasn't in continuity with KoM because in those trailers it looked like the whole world was pretty much in ruins.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yes the world post KotM is proper hosed but on the plus side, Boston no longer exists so it’s not all bad.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Collateral posted:

Aside from Jackson's King Kong, I don't think I have seen in any roles that where is not Dad.

The Wolf of Wall Street?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I felt pretty let down by King of Monsters. One of the most compelling aspects of Godzilla (in some of the movies) is that he is presented as a force of nature. The idea is captured really well in this teaser trailer: https://vimeo.com/146985673 (which, to be fair, the 2014 Godzilla didn't quite live up to either.) So, to have King of Monsters center around a device which controls the monsters really undermines that aspect. They use it in the very first scene of Ghidorah, too. It turns the whole movie into a family squabble rather than the sort of disaster movie that it should be.