Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I think I have my go to portable audio set up now. I found an actual use case for a DAP as well since I dropped a large weight directly onto the face of my cell phone in the gym while lifting and listening to music. As a result, I decided I want to separate out my media from my phone. So I now have a Astell&Kern SR25 with either a 2.5mm balanced wired connection to my IEMs (SE535LTD and ER4SR) or LDAC wireless going to the Qudelix 5K and the same IEMs. My Hidition Viento are in production and those will become my primary IEMs once I get them. I almost went with the LG G7 ThinQ as a media player but like most cell phones it tries to detect what kind of output device is attached to the headphone output and will adjust voltage in some ways that may not play nice with all headphones. I know FiiO, iBasso, Sony, Cowon etc all make good DAPs and that even good DAPs aren't much better than many cell phones but the SR25 had the combination of features that I wanted. I went with the Hiditions since they are described as an even better Ety with really great tuning.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Edit didn't see the new page, meant this for airpods pro disliker: If you long squeeze the touch thing by default it turns it to transparency, so maybe that happened by accident? It might make you like them more if that's been an issue. If it's more fit/other things, at least you'll get to see if you actually like NC.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The battery life on the Galaxy Buds Pro may be suspect atm but I'll be goddamned if the ANC on them isn't some kind of sorcery. I was cooking dinner in my air fryer last night with the buds in and it so effectively shuts out the [really loud!] fan of the air fryer that I went 5 minutes without realizing I forgot to turn the dang thing back on after checking the food :cripes:

The fit of the buds are not quite as comfortable for me as the older model I have. I think they went with something in between the weird beans of the last model and the Buds+ I had that preceded the bean design. It fits well enough but I usually have to twist them a bit to stop them from rubbing up against my ear kind of uncomfortably. Definitely starts to get sore after wearing them for a couple hours. Anyway, I'll shut up about my new earbuds for a while :v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have a couple of aviation headsets that I want to be able to plug into my computer and I am trying to figure out how to do that properly. These headsets use two separate plugs for the mic and earphones and are designed for use with aircraft audio panel electronics, which were standardized decades ago and so are kind of old-fashioned. (high voltage, high impedance).

The microphone part I have sorted out. It's an unusual 0.206" TRRS plug but it's standardized in the aviation industry, so I have the right jack, and the mic requires a DC bias but I have built a circuit to inject power and it works correctly.

The earphone part I have not sorted out. It's a standard 1/4" TRS, but aviation headphones are high impedance -- 150 to 300 ohms for mine, and apparently up to 600 ohms for older designs. I am basically looking for the right sort of amplifier to drive these headphones but Amazon is a baffling wall of enthusiast stuff full of vacuum tubes and I don't know how to find one that is appropriate. It should be noted that airplane headsets are designed to emphasize voice rather than reproduce music, so while the more modern designs sound pretty decent, my Grado SR80s sound better so this doesn't have to be mega audiophile quality.

Ideally I want to build this into the front of my computer, slotted into a 5.25" drive bay with a 3D printed face panel, so there's a size restriction there. If I could find an amplifier that runs on 12v, that would be great because I could use the computer's PSU to power it. Also, I am not opposed to opening up a manufactured product and hacking it up to install the right size of jacks, but I see there are a lot of simple and cheap amplifier kits available, e.g.https://www.amazon.com/KKmoon-Headphone-Amplifier-Transparent-Housing/dp/B074119XBH/ . Something like that would be great for my purpose as it would fit in the space I have, runs on 12v, and has obvious through-hole places to wire up the jacks. How is the sound quality from that sort of thing, though, and would it run 300-ohm headphones properly?

Spec sheets for the headsets:

Thanks for any info.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 22, 2021

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Friendly reminder to replace your triple-flange Etymotic tips periodically before they get too soft and begin sliding off the barrel too easily, just had to extract one from my ear canal with tweezers.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

Sagebrush posted:

Headset stuff

Have you looked at any off-the-shelf adapters like this? I don't have any experience with these but they seemed like a good simple solution.

If you just want to find something to drive the earphone part you probably just want a cheap headphone amp, I think most of those can drive at least 300 ohm headphones fine.

Stingwing fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 23, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I know you don't need audiophile equipment for this but this amp should work and is not too expensive. What price range were you considering.
https://jdslabs.com/product/objective2/

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Yuns posted:

I know you don't need audiophile equipment for this but this amp should work and is not too expensive. What price range were you considering.
https://jdslabs.com/product/objective2/

that's a deprecated product, the current one is https://jdslabs.com/product/atom-amp/

the Atom will drive basically anything that'll plug into it

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Wheeee posted:

that's a deprecated product, the current one is https://jdslabs.com/product/atom-amp/

the Atom will drive basically anything that'll plug into it
Thanks for pointing that out. The atom seems like probably the most reasonably priced decent headphone amp too.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
So, I've been wanting to get a set of over ear, open backed planars for a while, but I have a big head and not many over ear sets have been comfortable for me. After thinking about getting HE400i but being worried about comfort, I jumped on an open box deal for a wired version of the Hifiman Deva, because by all accounts it is pretty lightweight and has less clamp force than the other Hifiman cans.

And, they're really good! They are ugly as sin (silver plastic + light brown pleather :barf:), but they are a pretty generous fit for my fat noggin, and they sound great from my JDS Atom. Really airy sounding, super fast and accurate bass, good layering, bit rolled off on the treble so they're easy to listen to. Pretty pleased so far.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

Ok Comboomer posted:

Or maybe it’s worth getting a DAC/amp instead to breathe some new life into the power demanding cans that you currently have? Regardless of what you do, the absence of an amplifier is notable for some relatively high-impedance headphones.

This was the trick. My desktop amp is still serving me just fine, but I upgraded my phone setup to a Qudelix 5K (FiiO BTR5 internals with better software) and it really did breathe new life into my on the move listening. It really brings out the warmth in my Grado’s midrange, and the DT770 doesn’t sound anemic when it’s coming out of a 2 Vrms output. But it hasn’t done poo poo to scratch my itch for a new pair of headphones, it’s just making me find gaps in my collection. This hobby is a curse...

So, now it’s time to replace my old rear end Shure E5c’s. They were always bad to wear while on the move thanks to their stiff rear end cord, so it would be nice to have something comfortable and functional. If I were aiming for a DT770ish sound signature (which to me is very good bass extension and imaging, wouldn’t mind finding something that isn’t so harsh in the treble but not a deal breaker) in IEM form for under $200, what’s a good direction to go in? All of these Chinese companies have made it a lot more complicated than the “what Shure/Ety should I buy” I’m used to.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 23, 2021

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

trem_two posted:

So, I've been wanting to get a set of over ear, open backed planars for a while, but I have a big head and not many over ear sets have been comfortable for me. After thinking about getting HE400i but being worried about comfort, I jumped on an open box deal for a wired version of the Hifiman Deva, because by all accounts it is pretty lightweight and has less clamp force than the other Hifiman cans.

And, they're really good! They are ugly as sin (silver plastic + light brown pleather :barf:), but they are a pretty generous fit for my fat noggin, and they sound great from my JDS Atom. Really airy sounding, super fast and accurate bass, good layering, bit rolled off on the treble so they're easy to listen to. Pretty pleased so far.

Part of the reason why I love the Aryas is because of their massive drivers, that and the fact that they're practically HD 800 S levels of clarity, imaging and soundstage (and yes I have a pair to compare) but with actual bass and that phat planar sound.
The HD 800 S are still the best for classical but like, literally everything else sounds better on the Arya.

HiFiMan's build quality is definitely sketch, I'm going to have to replace the headband soon and I had to replace the earpads after a year and a half of use, but the sound speaks for itself.

I'm about to send my LCD-Xs in to get repaired because I've been seriously missing that dark rear end meaty sound of theirs.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 23, 2021

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Who has experience with tube amps? I'm thinking about getting into them for fun, do ones that add some level of distortion actually change the sound in an appreciable way versus solid state amps which basically sound the same unless they're poo poo or underpowering your headphones?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I have a Valhalla 2. Reviews all say it doesn't have much of a tube sound. But doing a side by side between it and a Magni 2, there's a definite difference. It's a "warmer" sound where the peaks are softened. Hard to describe but the sound is kind of smoothed out a bit? Depending on what you're listening to, it can be nice. I'd really like to try a tube amp that people think is actually "gooey tube sound".

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Lowness 72 posted:

I have a Valhalla 2. Reviews all say it doesn't have much of a tube sound. But doing a side by side between it and a Magni 2, there's a definite difference. It's a "warmer" sound where the peaks are softened. Hard to describe but the sound is kind of smoothed out a bit? Depending on what you're listening to, it can be nice. I'd really like to try a tube amp that people think is actually "gooey tube sound".

I was looking at the Lyr actually since you mentioned the Valhalla, but Schiit tube amps are supposed to be relatively neutral. I'm definitely looking for something around a similar price range though, I'm not willing to drop an absurd amount of money on an amp that will only nominally alter the sound compared to just getting different headphones, but it'd be fun to mess around with one that hits that euphonic note people tend to go on about.

E: From what I'm reading it seems like a Dark Voice would be a good starting point for a tube amp that adds some colorful distortion without blowing wads of dough. Anyone get a change to mess around with one?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 23, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

E: From what I'm reading it seems like a Dark Voice would be a good starting point for a tube amp that adds some colorful distortion without blowing wads of dough. Anyone get a change to mess around with one?

Everything I’ve heard and read on the subject tells me that a Darkvoice is probably more of what you want. I’ve gone through a similar thought process and if I had the room at my current place I’d probably have a Darkvoice before any other dedicated headphone amp.

Darkvoice plus THX amp or Magnius or O2 and you’re pretty much set for headphone amplification, as far as I’m concerned. No need to spend any more.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I super enjoy my Xduoo Ta-20 2x 12au7 tube amp. It's drippy with tubey goo.

THX is not for me. They sound clinical and unmusical.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

redeyes posted:

I super enjoy my Xduoo Ta-20 2x 12au7 tube amp. It's drippy with tubey goo.

THX is not for me. They sound clinical and unmusical.

The reviews for the Xduoo are pretty phenomenal. I'll throw them onto the research list.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Everything I’ve heard and read on the subject tells me that a Darkvoice is probably more of what you want. I’ve gone through a similar thought process and if I had the room at my current place I’d probably have a Darkvoice before any other dedicated headphone amp.

Darkvoice plus THX amp or Magnius or O2 and you’re pretty much set for headphone amplification, as far as I’m concerned. No need to spend any more.

Yeah I've got a Khadas DAC and a JDS Labs Atom that drives virtually anything I throw at it flawlessly so at this stage it's just about finding something fun to get some more variety out of my DT 990s and HD 800 S.

Speaking of, what are some good headphones for tube amps besides those two? I know sensitive headphones like planars are generally not supposed to gel well with them.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Sennheiser 600 / 650 / 6xx are the default "holy poo poo the tubes" headphones. I'd imagine they'd smooth out your 990s a good deal, but the 800s are so weird and amp dependent it's kind of a crapshoot.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I use that TA-20 for IEMs.. It's a hybrid thing, so tube preamp into solid state amp for the actual headphone jacks. Also means the output impedance isn't insane. The darkvoice is tube coupled output so, big output impedance and not ok for IEMs in general.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Sennheiser 600 / 650 / 6xx are the default "holy poo poo the tubes" headphones. I'd imagine they'd smooth out your 990s a good deal, but the 800s are so weird and amp dependent it's kind of a crapshoot.

I've heard the HD 650s are really solid and a decent contrast to the HD 800 S, I wouldn't mind grabbing them along with a tube amp to make the most of it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
You can't go wrong, just get the 6xx since it's literally the same headphone but cheaper. You might absolutely love your 800S on the tube, some combos are magical with that headphone.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I mean my HD650 is my favorite headphone

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Something has changed, my brand new m50xbt press on my ear in a really uncomfortable way. I really like the headphones and my last two pairs didn't do this at all. I have small ears but it just starts to hurt after a while. I used to wear m50s all day. I don't understand what's going on. I think wearing a too-tight mask has affected my ears or something. I'm struggling to explain the discomfort.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

well why not posted:

Something has changed, my brand new m50xbt press on my ear in a really uncomfortable way. I really like the headphones and my last two pairs didn't do this at all. I have small ears but it just starts to hurt after a while. I used to wear m50s all day. I don't understand what's going on. I think wearing a too-tight mask has affected my ears or something. I'm struggling to explain the discomfort.

You got a yoga block? Or some books? Leave the headphones on them overnight to stretch the band a bit. Repeat until comfy, don’t overstretch/break them.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Good news for all goons of fine taste: Etymotic is releasing a new multi-driver IEM soon.

One of their lead engineers posts occasionally on HeadFi, to sum up what's known right now:

• 2-way, 3 BA driver configuration with a single mid/high receiver and a dual bass driver
  • Tuning more XR than SR, ~5db bass boost with corner frequency ~<100hz so a sub-bass boost
  • ~46 ohm impedance, Estron T2 connectors
  • Targeting March launch, price not public but apparently not crazy

buyin these fuckers day one unless they're like $1k, and even then probs buy them if reviews check out

thinking this is going to be the product that signals whether Etymotic stays king or begins selling out making trash

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Bummer that they changed the form factor. The ear dildo triple flange of the old school Etymotics fits me the best. ER4XRs for life.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

well why not posted:

I have a similar problem with larger headphones. My theory is that the larger pads go so far over the ear they apply pressure on my parotids, which causes me to feel a sort of sharp-ish discomfort that seems to be placed in my ear or immediately in front of it. It usually happens after and hour or so, so my Sennheisers feel ok to listen to an album or two, but not for an eight hour work day.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Uncle Ivan posted:

Bummer that they changed the form factor. The ear dildo triple flange of the old school Etymotics fits me the best. ER4XRs for life.

Check out the length of the bit that goes into your ear, it's much longer than most IEMs and in some pics has their triple flanges on it. The engineer whose posts I summarized the info from also posted about fit, and in his case he gets equal depth as the ER series with the dual flange and almost the same with triples; while the same form factor as the existing ER series isn't possible with a multi-driver setup a similar effect in terms of isolation and sound can be achieved with the extended barrel.

These new ones may not get quite as deep as the ER series but it sounds like for most people they'll get deep enough for the benefits.

No IEMs I've heard can compete with the ER4XR when considered in their totality, having returned even a pair of IER-M9's after a month and they're one of the best on the market. I have high expectations for this new IEM given Etymotic's history, tho this may also be the first bad product of theirs born from the Lucid buyout and resulting chase of consumer market share.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 25, 2021

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Nope, can't get the BLON-01's to fit or stay in my ears. What is it with these things?! The nozzle actually seems shorter and the IEM itself is bigger and heavier... I think I will just get a backup pair of 03's and these can be a last resort. Maybe others find them to fit better, but seems worse for me.

I love the 03's so much as they sound great to me and are so cheap. But...the fit. They just don't fit. Maybe I have fucky ears. Have tried foam tips, normal tips. Everything gradually slips out and I don't get that seal. When I do I get awesome sound but it doesn't last for long.

henpod fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 25, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I just noticed that Adorama has open box Ety ER4XR for $119 (Adorama says they still have mfr warranty) and so long as you are ok with the deep fit and Ety tuning I have a hard time imagining a better value in decent IEMs.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 25, 2021

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

henpod posted:

Nope, can't get the BLON-01's to fit or stay in my ears. What is it with these things?! The nozzle actually seems shorter and the IEM itself is bigger and heavier... I think I will just get a backup pair of 03's and these can be a last resort. Maybe others find them to fit better, but seems worse for me.

I love the 03's so much as they sound great to me and are so cheap. But...the fit. They just don't fit. Maybe I have fucky ears. Have tried foam tips, normal tips. Everything gradually slips out and I don't get that seal. When I do I get awesome sound but it doesn't last for long.

It'd be a little ridiculous on IEMs as cheap as the Blons but you could see if an audiologist in your area will fit you for ear molds. I believe there are companies you can send your IEMs and molds to to have custom tips created.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

RichterIX posted:

It'd be a little ridiculous on IEMs as cheap as the Blons but you could see if an audiologist in your area will fit you for ear molds. I believe there are companies you can send your IEMs and molds to to have custom tips created.

Ah yeah, I did think about that for a moment but I'm still hopeful that I will find the eartip that finally fits my weird ears. These 01's, no chance. I think they are just too heavy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Uncle Ivan posted:

ear dildo triple flange

The thread could use a new title.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Wheeee posted:

Good news for all goons of fine taste: Etymotic is releasing a new multi-driver IEM soon.

One of their lead engineers posts occasionally on HeadFi, to sum up what's known right now:

• 2-way, 3 BA driver configuration with a single mid/high receiver and a dual bass driver
  • Tuning more XR than SR, ~5db bass boost with corner frequency ~<100hz so a sub-bass boost
  • ~46 ohm impedance, Estron T2 connectors
  • Targeting March launch, price not public but apparently not crazy

buyin these fuckers day one unless they're like $1k, and even then probs buy them if reviews check out

thinking this is going to be the product that signals whether Etymotic stays king or begins selling out making trash

Ety tech in a negative profile design? gently caress yes.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I am unreasonably excited about this.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I am unreasonably excited about this.

Holy poo poo me too. Wish they used a DD for bass.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Hey, Etymotic - release the ER2XR in a negative profile design. You'll sell about a billion of them.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
My wife is looking for a pair of (preferably wired) headphones that she can wear to bed while sleeping sideways and without causing excessive damage to them. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TopHatGenius posted:

My wife is looking for a pair of (preferably wired) headphones that she can wear to bed while sleeping sideways and without causing excessive damage to them. Any recommendations?

I'm not sure if they make wired versions of it but my partner has this Sleep Headband Headphones thing specifically for this purpose and she loves it.