Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

She never mentions what happened to her sibling, does she? I just assumed that meant she thought they were dead, given that otherwise she'd have memories of growing up with them, or mentioned they were given up for adoption or something. That's on me for making assumptions and/or skimming over most of the text.

I mean, the sibling is very definitely alive, and possibly Imoen, but I think we're supposed to think they're dead at this point.

Or maybe it's a mystery and it's why she came after us in the first place, to find her long lost sibling! She really seems to like being fuckin vague sometimes even if maybe she shouldn't be. I think it's called "I don't know how to do anything but exposit, so the only way I can progressively feed you information is to arbitrarily not talk about it until a certain point."

poo poo. I don't even own the EE games and I want to play now just... I don't know, as an internal palate cleanser? I have no idea where the hell my copy went either...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think 6 and 7 go in the maybe pile; she did kill Edwin even if she resurrected him after, and I dunno if Vichan was just cropping the options or if you literally could not call her bullshit.

The only options I've cropped so far are really generic ones or options that have already appeared before. You're really limited as to what you can say to her and most of the time negative conversation options are either ignored or just end said conversation prematurely.

There's another reason why I'm such a doormat to Sandrah, by the way:

quote:

Sanpoints is a counter tracking your and her compatibility overall. There are many factors(quests done, answers given, decisions taken in various quests, talking to her via PID that increment or decrease the counter.Normally doing Sandrah's quests and showing some overall interest in her views is sufficient (no use to be overly sweet to her, 47 points is about 40% you could have at that chapter change). or reputation have no impact. So an *evil* character who nevertheless takes the right decisions will qualify just the same as the *good* protagonist.There is no necessity to bend your character to her liking. But if your protagonist follows a completely different mindset from what would make sense for Sandrah, she decides to go. Otherwise you can have a very long road together through the game.Accepting her romance makes things easier but is not essential. You can gain her respect and trust on other ways, too. Asking her for opinions via PIDs quite often gives you points.Sandrah is a manipulator since she develops a certain plan while she travels with you and she needs a certain kind of co-operation in the long term. If you are too far from what she thinks she needs for her purpose, she will leave to look for alternatives.Note that in someSHS forumposts the author of the mod herself has referred to the bhaalspawn Balthazar in ToB as Sandrah’s alternative instead of the protagonist. It seems however, that this was never implemented in the mod and she never appears again to resolve this,once she is gone.There are some other checkpoints later in the game near the end of BG1 and BG2 parts -those are more related to having reached some plot/quest events at that

(And yes, they're called PIDs not PICs, I'll edit my original posts about it somewhere along the line.)

Vichan fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 25, 2021

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Vichan posted:

:stare: She really has taken over the entire game.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter XV - Water caress scales like lover should.

We leave the xvart village, the gnoll stronghold should be closeby!

We sure do, Branwen.

Not a bad idea, where's this water th-

I-

I-is this a beach episode?

If you told me a week ago about this scene I would've laughed in your face. Yet here we are...

After picking up every single piece of equipment we leave this place and return right where we left off.

Minsc using 'rear end' instead of 'butt' just makes me feel dirty.

Poor Sandrah has really done a number on Imoen's psyche.

Branwen doesn't seem like her old self, maybe she's sensing her impending fate.

She soon gets her wish as we finally reach the gnoll stronghold.

Minsc is so flustered that he's forgotten how to pronounce his own name. Not to worry, my addled friend. Dynaheir shall soon be safe!

The abilities keep coming, I fully expect to be able to summon a solar before reaching Baldur's Gate.

Normally we'd be able to talk these guys down but Minsc has no patience for these buffoons.

Shortly afterwards these assassins attack us, they were pretty tough.

Pretty OP gear as well!

Sandrah's advice is welcome, but I've already decided how I'm going to do this.

I think I've managed to cheer her up.

Yeah, she's definitely feeling better.

One of the caves was home to this zombie lord that absolutely *destroyed* me time and time again, when I finally got him he wiped my entire party with a post-death cloudkill. I'm going to have to come back here later.

Good, getting cuckolded by Sandrah is bad enough.

After absolutely wiping the floor with the gnolls inside the fortress we finally find Dynaheir:

Nothing gets past Sandrah, does it?

Oh boy, shenanigans incoming.

I love seeing Minsc so happy. :allears:

Anyway, we have to leave someone behind and I think you all know who it'll be.

Farewell, Branwen. :wave: Your time in this group was more memorable than I could have ever have imagined, it's a shame you had to ruin it by sleeping with Sandrah. We'll come back to her after we've cleared the Nashkel mines. (Whenever that will be)

Dynaheir also immediately gives us a quest, seems like we're about to scour the Sword Coast for a journal!

Keen eyes might have noticed she has a new portrait.

Bhaalspawn? What rubbish! Alaundo is nothing but a charlatan!

Vichan fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 7, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sandrah Saga: Lingering long at her rose nipples

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Way to whitewash Dynaheir, mod. Cool cool cool.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Fighting Trousers posted:

Way to whitewash Dynaheir, mod. Cool cool cool.

That was my first thought as well. I have no idea which mod in particular is responsible, though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
...That is a yikes or three.

Vichan posted:

The only options I've cropped so far are really generic ones or options that have already appeared before. You're really limited as to what you can say to her and most of the time negative conversation options are either ignored or just end said conversation prematurely.

Yeah, that's what I figured.

Vichan posted:

Yeah, that's... not at all what I figured, but I am also not surprised.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter XVI - Boo likes that.

We're supposed to look for Dynaheir's journal, but where do we even start? We decide to explore the outskirts of the stronghold.

Dynaheir's BG1NPC conversations are pretty interesting.

She likes to talk a lot. You can probably guess where this will be going.

I like her already. :allears:

After running into the half-ogres that roughed up Bjornin Sandrah decides to rub her little affair in our faces. Let's head to Beregost to let Bjornin know we dealt with them.

The conversation ends after this, Thank G-

Oh, for gently caress's sake...

Oh God not even Boo is safe. :gonk:

Lore dump in 3, 2, 1...

...You've seduced me. :allears:

Are we sure Jen'lig and Sandrah are written by the same person?

My attempt to :spergin: my way to her heart seems to have backfired. Drat.

I, for one, can't wait.

How romantic. :swoon:

They really are a fun bunch to have around. I really wish the party size had been 8 instead of 6... :(

Not satiated with Boo the Beast also threatens to devour poor Minsc as well.

Not as much of a pain to screenshot as Ascalon's mods but close. Isn't Minsc adorable?

Sandrah's grooming is starting to pay off. :negative:

After day after day of meandering with no progress we finally encounter something interesting.

Could it be...?

Vichan fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 7, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think I've put a finger on part of why Sandrah Saga bugs me from artistic standpoint as a writer (by such standards as they are, I make no claims to being a great writer). I take the standpoint that, particularly in this particular context of NPC mods, that when you write dialogue, that dialogue should serve a purpose. Generally, either to be funny or to tell you something about the character(s).

I also generally enjoy it when RPGs of the sort with romances where party members and other major characters develop their own relationships. I think it helps show the world as being more than just the PC and their amazing dick/vagina and magnetic personality.

One of the two mod NPCs I made even has a romance with another NPC in Throne of Bhaal, in the event that the PC torpedoes or is ineligible for a romance with either character involved, and I wrote it with the principle that you're only seeing bits of their evolving relationship, the parts that happen to be in earshot of the PC. I also wrote it as a way to show both characters maturing and growing past their childish behavior and unrealistic expectations and beliefs they had in Shadows of Amn. Valerie never does develop a romantic relationship with anyone but potentially the PC - Dynaheir politely turns her down, Aerie (in her written but unreleased BG2 content) never picks up on her hints, and her mildly flirtatious relationship with Imoen, uh, does not last into BG2.

I use these examples, because none of Sandrah's whoring around tells you anything about Sandrah or her harem. She acts like a different person to everyone, beyond an underlying attitude of arrogance, and her personality is just a vague collection of superlatives. No one even seems to notice that Sandrah's sleeping with half the Sword Coast, she just turns everyone around her into a simpering fanboy/girl all studiously ignorant of each other.

Sandrah talks a lot, but says very little.

Edit: For reference, the usual rule of thumb with mod NPCs and banters is 2-3 banters with each character. This is how the Bioware bunch banter with each other in BG2, and it was inherited by the modding community. It works in part because most characters just don't have that much interesting to say to one another. Contrast Sandrah. :v:

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 25, 2021

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Isn't base game Dynaheir black?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Isn't base game Dynaheir black?

why yes

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Vichan posted:

Could it be...?

...she's going to gently caress him, isn't she?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

We're two for two on black characters getting whitewashed

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Brainamp posted:

We're two for two on black characters getting whitewashed

I shudder to think of what they'd change Valygar's portrait to.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I absolutely love that they're called "san points" internally. Extremely appropriate.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter XVII - Thou are nay the one!

The gnolls are dead within moments, the drow approaches us shortly afterwards.

OMG it's Drizzt! :swoon:

Before we can even think of attacking him a certain someone chimes in.

Sandrah and Drizzt know each other? Who could've guessed! I should ask her about it sometime...

First things first, though. We have a diary to find! No sooner do we reach the next screen...

Isn't it awkward when you say goodbye to someone not knowing that you both have to head in the same direction?

The parchment looks like a dead end, I guess we'll have to find ourselves some gnolls!

:allears:

We head west to Bear Bridge, when we arrive...

...Friendly gnolls?

It seems we've started a new religion, sweet!

The gnolls haven't even left yet before we're approached by Drizzt yet again.

We've spent days trying to track down the journal only for Drizzt to steal our thunder in hours time. I'd complain but...

Dynaheir's journal is back to its rightful owner! Let's celebrate with a PID.

:swoon:

Speaking of PIDS, we were supposed to ask Sandrah something...

Those allergic to Mary Sue's might want to bow out of this one.

This is terrible even by fanfic standards.

The plot thickens, looks like we're heading to Firewine...

...It might be best to make some progress in the main story first, though. This iron crisis also deserves our attention.

Bjornin might want to dispute that particular fact, Sandrah.

Jesus Christ, Sandrah. What are you doing!? :gonk:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The black hole of the Beast is never sated.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm just saying, if a magic-resistant STI ever spreads across Faerun, I think we found Patient Zero.

Seriously, what does this add to her character?! What does any of this add to her character?! Why are you writing this?!?!?!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Run Boo, save yourself!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Cythereal posted:

I'm just saying, if a magic-resistant STI ever spreads across Faerun, I think we found Patient Zero.

Seriously, what does this add to her character?! What does any of this add to her character?! Why are you writing this?!?!?!

some writers just can't handle a character who likes sex but is cool about it so we get the hit-on-anything-theoretically-capable-of-consent.
It's a wonder she just let those gnolls leave unfucked.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

By popular demand posted:

some writers just can't handle a character who likes sex but is cool about it so we get the hit-on-anything-theoretically-capable-of-consent.

And of course everything does consent because she's Just That Hot, even characters you might think are straight women, gay men, or just not interested.

I mean, the NPC Project makes Coran a horndog but I don't think anyone besides Safana and potentially Charname reciprocate. Safana likewise, though I don't think Charname can even go for it.

Or Edwin, whose horniness in both the base games and the NPC Project is mostly played for laughs.

I'm at least taking solace that Sandrah's writing is very much from the modder reading the script. At least when it comes to mod content. She never figures out Valerie's big thing she's not quite hiding, even though a lot of clues are there in BG1, because she only reveals it in her unreleased BG2 content. I have a sneaking suspicion that if I had released it, Sandrah would of course know and either reveal it on the spot or tease her about how she knows but isn't saying. :v:

In a way, I think I loathe Sandrah even more than the likes of Saerileth. Saerileth is at least a very specific character and a very specific story the modders want to tell, and she's not half as intrusive on the plot (and good Lord Almighty is that damning with faint praise). I seriously cannot figure out Sandrah's character or what her story is supposed to be beyond a vague 'she's the bestest person ever!' fart into the void.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Ugh, stay the hell away from Dynaheir, Sandrah.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

There is just so much Sandrah. I'm not even phased by the "quality" of it. It's the sheer quantity.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, it's the quality as well. The obvious Mary Sue-ism and the whole Elminster thing were funny in a cringeworthy way, but reading the last couple of upgrades just makes me want to take a shower.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Hypocrisy posted:

There is just so much Sandrah. I'm not even phased by the "quality" of it. It's the sheer quantity.

What I'm baffled at is how stable the whole thing is. You'd expect a mod of this magnitude to be broken beyond belief but I don't think I've run into a single bug yet.

That makes the low effort in some areas (spell descriptions, voice acting) all the more baffling though.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vichan posted:

Sandrah is a manipulator

DISLIKE

Vichan posted:

Bjornin might want to dispute that particular fact, Sandrah.

Jesus Christ, Sandrah. What are you doing!? :gonk:

DIS! LIKE!

I could not be more skeeved out if I tried, holy god. If she made him just inexplicably act like an adult, that would be one (still bad) thing, but this is... euughghg

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 25, 2021

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Vichan posted:

What I'm baffled at is how stable the whole thing is. You'd expect a mod of this magnitude to be broken beyond belief but I don't think I've run into a single bug yet.

That makes the low effort in some areas (spell descriptions, voice acting) all the more baffling though.

Good lord.

Wait...voice acting? Huh. Sandrah's voice acting is no good? How about Jen'lig?

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 25, 2021

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Okay, you know how I said I couldn't imagine seeing Jaheira as a viable romantic interest for the PC? The only NPC I can see that for less is Minsc. That is deserving of a :gonk: that slowly expands to the size of the universe. Stop. Just STOP.

And we still haven't even gotten to the FIRST major dungeon of the game.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Hypocrisy posted:

Good lord.

Wait...voice acting? Huh. Sandrah's voice acting is no good? How about Jen'lig?

Vichan posted:

On that note, I know I haven't said that much about Sandrah and Jen'lig's voice acting. There's a reason for that.

Sandrah never seems to speak during dialogue, her voice lines when selecting/directing her don't correspond with the text. The voice itself is completely bland. Overall it feels unfinished. The quote under the banner is the only voice line that's worth mentioning because it's just terrible.

Jen'lig's voice line is just the Githyanki scream, over and over again.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

If I was in a party with Sandrah I’d be screaming nonstop too, tbh

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter XVIII - The Sword Coast these days is crowded with morons. I'm embarrassed.

Since we've finally decided to tackle the Nashkel mines we make our way over there, Sandrah doesn't seem happy.

Yes, Sandrah. We'll get to the cloth after we've cle-

Sandrah, we're talking about *my* questline here, what do Bhaalspawn have to do w-

Uhmm...

Who the gently caress are you!? :argh:

Winski doesn't appear much in vanilla BG1 but he's pretty important in the grand scheme of things. BG1NPC expands on this a bit and it seems like Sandrah Saga wants in on the action as well.

Before we can get a word in edgewise...

...He's gone.

Oh boy, time to put our thinking caps on.

So many questions, will we ever get answ-

Boy, Sandrah Saga sure loves chapters.

Time to explore the valley, I suppose.

I think I missed a dialogue here, my apologies.

I love how Sandrah asks questions she pretty much knows the answers to already.

Normally this would be pretty sweet but this is Sandrah we're talking about here...

We can't count on Dynaheir backing us up on this either, it seems. Goddamn Sandrah and her persuasiveness. :negative:

Also 'Boo is a door through which we can touch Minsc's own self' sounds pretty ominous coming from her...

Is my character having a stroke? Will we finally be free of this torment?

Oh God, they're watching? :barf:

I've noticed we can ask her about Minsc now.

Oh God Sandrah I'm sorry reload reload relo-

I definitely approve of her secret admirer and wouldn't find anything problematic about her relationship at all.

We're doubling back a bit so I can get some Shadow Armor from the smith in Beregost.

Sandrah, for gently caress's sake...

"I see no problems with this at all. :downs:"

Jen'lig's right. This constant meandering and backtracking is unforgivable. Back to the mines!

Oh hey it's Prism, who's that with him?

Why hello there. :heysexy:

Prism's one of my favourite characters, I don't know why.

Uh-oh, is that the infamous Graywolf approaching us?

Oh, sorry. Greywolf. My mistake.

(Greywolf himself isn't hard but he brought surprisingly sturdy archers, luckily we're overleveled)

Jen'lig's definitely impressed by our prowess. :colbert:

No sooner does he say these words when...

What a shame.

I've always wondered what happened to Prism here. Does he commit suicide? Does the mere mention of Ellesime's name cause him to drop dead? Let me know if you have the answer, it's been keeping me busy for two decades now!

Seems like we have a new party member, which means...

This won't be the last we'll see of them, not by a long shot. For now I think it's best that Minsc and Boo keep their distance though. Dynaheir will be sorely missed.

Not too shabby. She doesn't have anything special equipment-wise. (Don't get used to her though)

Who's going to be our sixth party member, you ask?

Dwarf time! (Don't get used to him either)

What a brown-noser...

Kind of impressed at his portrait, very BG2-ish.

He has a custom class as well.

We equip him with our overpowered axe we got at the gnoll stronghold. Next time we'll (FINALLY) venture into the Nashkel mines!

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
My assumption was that Prism had been taking oils of speed or other hasting effects for days, and once the effort of creation is done he just expires from the strain he has been putting himself through. It made sense when I was a teenager 20 years ago.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure if I'm happy that Minsc is safe now or in pain because this is drawing out the "Does Sandrah gently caress a guy who I am not convinced is capable of proper consent?" cliffhanger.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Midnight Voyager posted:

I'm not sure if I'm happy that Minsc is safe now or in pain because this is drawing out the "Does Sandrah gently caress a guy who I am not convinced is capable of proper consent?" cliffhanger.

BG1 and BG2 Minsc are very different characters.

As much as BG2 Minsc amused me, I don't care for the 'is literally mentally a child' interpretation of the character. Versus a guy who's just loud, enthusiastic, and likes his hamster.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

BG1 and BG2 Minsc are very different characters.

As much as BG2 Minsc amused me, I don't care for the 'is literally mentally a child' interpretation of the character. Versus a guy who's just loud, enthusiastic, and likes his hamster.

But it's not only the interpretation that a lot of mods for 1 use, it seems to be the one that Sandrah is using. Which is making my skin crawl!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I always assumed that Prism had been working obsessively without food or sleep for weeks, and once his masterpiece was complete, there was nothing left to keep him going.

That or a very precisely timed heart attack.

Also I'm pretty sure Minsc fucks given his "mock not the face of Minsc, for it is the face the ladies love!" response to Viconia criticizing his face paint in BG2. We're not watching him every second, after all.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm honestly speechless about how awful this is.
Who thinks like this, who thinks this is romatnci? who thinks this is a reasonable way to act?

I'm legitimately blown away by the scale of this mod.

Jen'lig seems pretty cool! so much so that I'm not at all surprised by the fact that Jen'lig leaves if you don't take all devouring black hole.

God this is making me want to go back and make a mod as well coded but not as awful as this.

e: and no one says anything at all when she just wanders around loving everyone outside the party. Jesus christ.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I like Isra but I've always been a fan of Sune's paladin order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

tithin posted:

God this is making me want to go back and make a mod as well coded but not as awful as this.

Eh, we're talking megabytes of source code and even more megabytes of dialogue, not to mention creating map files, sound work and game data to go along with it.

The quality may be, well, what it is, but it's one of the biggest mods for the game ever made, if not the biggest. You're not banging that out in a few months even.