Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Thanks for the LP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Congrats on the finished LP! And yeah, Girl in the Tower is cheesy, but it's a fun, earnest kind of cheesy. The King's Quest series was Sierra trying to create legitimately serious and artistic stories. Sometimes hit or miss, but it's nice to see stuff made with barely a trace of irony or cynicism.

Jolene
Jan 1, 2019
Congrats! That sword fight animation is really impressive. I honestly enjoyed a lot of the visuals and music of KQVI, which surprised me because I barely remembered any of it before now. And, of course, Girl in the Tower is the best. It pops into my brain every time a video game credit sequence plays.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Thanks for the fun LP!

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
It's always difficult to write a climax for an adventure game. Genre convention for this kind of story has the denouement be a violent confrontation, which is at odds with how an adventure game's protagonist is usually a pacifist and which makes it difficult to write a puzzle: once violence is on the cards, it tends to simplify the situation so much that most solutions are pretty obvious, and if the protagonist wins by adventure game bullshit like having the antagonist slip on a banana peel or something then it feels like a bit of a hollow victory.

The best I can think of is Monkey Island 2, where Lechuck stalks you from room to room with a voodoo doll as you try to gather ingredients to make one of your own. It works by toning down the lethality: when he catches you, he doesn't kill you, just kicks your rear end and teleports you away to another room. It's something that's clearly painful for Guybrush, but doesn't have any in-game effect beyond a minor inconvenience.
Because you can't die, you're a bit freer to explore, put puzzle pieces together, and have a few encounters where you get an ingredient off him (and get beaten up again for your trouble) before you finish making the doll and beat LeChuck at his own game.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Loved the LP!

It's possible to get to the wedding with the ring either in Cassima's hands, in Alexander's, or still in the pawn shop (worth it just to hear Tony Jay's "Oh. Err... huh. Hm. I guess we can skip the ring.")

Also, it's weird that there's a dialogue portrait for Shamir that goes completely unused, yet Rosella gets one for her one and only line of dialogue.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Hooray! Great work on the LP, DN.

It always cracked me up that Alex immediately says, "Now back in your bottle, all-powerful genie!" when he could just have him zap the Big Bad instead. Then he promptly has the lamp swatted away from him. Alex is nothing if not clumsy.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

He's lucky that slap didn't break his hand or something

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Thanks for the highly entertaining LP, DN!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

BisbyWorl posted:

I find it nice that the credits tell you about the short path, and even how to ensure you don't lock yourself out of it.

Makes me wonder if the short path credits tell you about the long path?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Psion posted:

Makes me wonder if the short path credits tell you about the long path?

I would assume so. It seems silly that the more content-complete version tells you "hey, there's a tiny bit of content you missed" but the route that misses out on even more doesn't.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

an ending that could've come from a movie, certainly makes sense considering the trend Disney had started by the time this game was released

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The full-points message is the only message of its kind, as far as I know. There's no such message if you miss any points, including taking the short ending.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Thanks for the fun LP! This is the only King's Quest game I ever played and I had real fond memories of it, it was great to revisit.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Wow, nice job! :golfclap:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Grats on a completed LP!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Whybird posted:

It's always difficult to write a climax for an adventure game. Genre convention for this kind of story has the denouement be a violent confrontation, which is at odds with how an adventure game's protagonist is usually a pacifist and which makes it difficult to write a puzzle: once violence is on the cards, it tends to simplify the situation so much that most solutions are pretty obvious, and if the protagonist wins by adventure game bullshit like having the antagonist slip on a banana peel or something then it feels like a bit of a hollow victory.

I think it's kinda fitting and keeping with the overall tone set by the King's Quest games to have the final climactic swordfight be with a heavy decorative sword never meant for actual battle. Also, Alex winning by just bonking Alhazred on the head with the flat of the blade keeps it from getting too violent.

Also fun fact: the mint leaves are how you defeat Shamir if you didn't get the right lamp, or never befriended Jollo. He gets drunk as hell off the mint and casts a dazzle spell, which ricochets and hits him instead.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Nidoking posted:

The full-points message is the only message of its kind, as far as I know. There's no such message if you miss any points, including taking the short ending.

yea, I remember missing something when you were crawling through the tunnel (the mint maybe?) and being at 230 out of 231 points. I don't remember the message at all.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Thanks for the LP!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

Also fun fact: the mint leaves are how you defeat Shamir if you didn't get the right lamp, or never befriended Jollo. He gets drunk as hell off the mint and casts a dazzle spell, which ricochets and hits him instead.

I loved this bit as a kid. To this day my sister and I will say "MMMM, MINT!" whenever someone gets mint candies or ice cream :v:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

That talk by Udina the Narrator at the end wasn't just idle. I'm not gonna be posting these "bonus" updates directly in the thread because they're the first 3 updates of the next thread. But if you're interested in having a say on the next LP, then by all means, continue reading...

I - Utopia System, Exodus Cluster

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
enemies everywhere

Also you didn't mention how right before Joker says the board is green is when you first see your Shepard under ingame lighting conditions instead of the creator, so it's really the best place to go back to character creation!

no I don't still have unfortunate memories of doing that ... repeatedly ...

e: in all seriousness good luck. The opening to ME1 really really hammers you with background so yes it's incredibly wordy and doesn't let up for quite some time. Without that script you found, you would be doomed indeed.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 27, 2021

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

it is a time honoured tradition to spend waaaaaay too much time creating the ~perfect Shepard~ and then on the face reveal in the intro you see that the models just never quite map properly to the skeletons in ME1 :v:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
lol so I mentioned at the start of the thread my sister was LPing this, and she just finished recently, but didn't do quite as well. I got a text "hey I got the right lamp finally and finished the game" so I start saying things like "oh blah blah your family and all the other island rulers" etc, and it turns out she save scummed the lamp situation, and then after all that work fed the genie mint at the top of the stairs. I'm going to make fun of her about this for years.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

II - Eden Prime

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I'm gonna hold off on posting #3 because that's as far as my backlog for ME goes. But this is far enough. Time to make your voice heard! I need:

Shepard's Name: (Remember, femshep is bestshep.)
Shepard's Appearance: (Just general is good. Hair color, eye color, skin color, etc)
Shepard's Job: Soldier / Engineer / Adept / Sentinel / Vanguard (Not playing Infiltrator)
Shepard's History: Spacer / Colonist / Earthborn
Shepard's Profile: Sole Survivor / War Hero / Ruthless

EDIT: This is just for ME1. All this can be repicked in ME2 for... reasons.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 29, 2021

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

You forgot a few lpix links at the start of the update.

I don't care so much about name and appearance, but let's go with Adept, Earthborn, and Sole Survivor.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Shepard's Name: Molly is actually good
Shepard's Appearance: Just something that doesn't look like poo poo. As you said, it's strangely easy to make a weird uncanny-valley character here so just please something that's not horrific - IIRC the presets were all fairly decent?
Shepard's Job: Sentinel would be interesting just because it shows off basically everything in the game except weapon types (which can be useful but aren't exactly thrilling)
Shepard's History: Spacer simply to show off something different than from your test post
Shepard's Profile: Ruthless, both because of that same reason and because femshep just takes no crap

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

MagusofStars posted:

Shepard's Job: Sentinel would be interesting just because it shows off basically everything in the game except weapon types (which can be useful but aren't exactly thrilling)
Shepard's History: Spacer simply to show off something different than from your test post
Shepard's Profile: Ruthless, both because of that same reason and because femshep just takes no crap

Seconding this.

For general appearance, I've always had a soft spot for the one from the ME3 cover:

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

I think you should give her darker skin, or at least darker hair; the Shepard in the posts looks washed out. Also her eyebrows are too wispy.
Ruthless sounds good.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Comrade Koba posted:

Seconding this.

For general appearance, I've always had a soft spot for the one from the ME3 cover:

I do like that look. The red hair complements the fierce expression.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019

MagusofStars posted:

Shepard's Name: Molly is actually good

Comrade Koba posted:

Seconding this.

Thirding this, Sentinels are fun to play in my experience, and I've never done a ruthless profile. And the Shepard from the ME3 cover is the bomb.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Comrade Koba posted:

Seconding this.

I have no opinion on the other stuff but I'm voting for this look. One thing about that look is that IIRC the ME3 model is a special one just for that look, and there's not a slider setting that corresponds to it in the earlier games. Although IIRC the default FemShep look in ME2 is also a redhead...

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Man, King’s Quest VII looks different... :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Thanks for finishing up the LP of KQ6. I can see why it's called the best in the series now, even if it still has quite a few hiccups. Re-reading the other 5 KQ LPs, 6 certainly seems like it has a bit of a different tone from the. It's a bit more dark and there's definitely a real sense of urgency, kinda like 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

A redheaded, Ruthless, Spacer Shepard? I can work with that! I'm also glad y'all are voting for a class with tech powers. My current test run is being done with an Adept, and the first game was rough. Every mission had to have either Garrus, Tali, or Kaidan present. It was very limiting!