Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
ugh we are gonna get robbed dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

ugh we are gonna get robbed dammit

Yeah, looking like it all fell apart.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

spwrozek posted:

All depends on where that snow line is. But umm go buy more food and water. Just in case. That much snow, if it happens, is your ain't going nowhere.

Is that a challenge!?!?

But seriously we do generally have ourselves prepared to hunker down, between COVID precautions and living in fire country (we have emergency kit and all that), plus a chest freezer.

Though snow removal here is also no joke, I’ve got a beefy snowblower, and my neighborhood usually comes in pretty far on the low end of snow accumulations.

That said it didn’t take much yesterday for CHP to shutdown the highway over the pass as well as up from Reno after people got right to the business of spinning out. A couple people had a fender bender over the pass and pulled over, then got hit while standing on the shoulder when a semi jackknifed into them. (Non life threatening injuries thankfully). Glad I don’t need to get on the highway to do anything other than leave town.

And for the forecast, all the models are showing cold storms, with snow level staying fully below the lake (and my house). Where there’s uncertainty is exactly where the moisture is gonna be pointed and for how long. Right now half the models are saying 3+ feet for upper mountain for the first big wave Tuesday into Thursday before things shift south towards Mammoth. The others are saying 8+. ...I’ll take either of those.

Steve French fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 23, 2021

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
It's hardly the tahoe forecast, but we just got a nice foot or so in Utah with maybe another foot for LCC by tomorrow am.

Also, lines were by far the worst I have EVER seen it today at the bird. We're talking gad II going up the hill and around the corner... even mid-gad chair (the old double which has basically been replaced by gadzoom at this point) had a line so long it was going partway up a run and then bending back around to the base, but the runs we did get were pretty all time.

Pretty uncomfortable to be around so many maskless people though. Maybe half the skiers had masks on. One of the reasons we left by noon.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 23, 2021

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Hell yeah Silverton’s starting to look good

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Conditions at the resorts have been absolute garbage, we haven’t had a big dump since December. So we went touring again! I tried splitting this time, the gear I rented was absolute poo poo but it gave me the bug. Going to pick up a split this year and skis probably next, started ordering stuff today but it’s hard to find stock anywhere.

Anyone have experience with the Jones skins? I’m going with a Solution split and it would be nice to have the integration but I also don’t mind just getting generic ones cut.

Conditions were awesome, did a couple laps of this bowl and then skinned back out along a river. 4-5 hours total and about 1k elevation.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

We finally got a nice boot-top powder day in the Keweenaw, first significant snow since December, so I went skiing.

Cross country skiing. My skate marathon went virtual so my wife and I did it locally, and learned while following the suggested route for this trail system that their groomer broke down this morning so only half the trails had been panked by snowmobile. Probably did 5 miles high-step skating with snow up to my shins before being able to abandon the suggested route and ski something that made sense.

Gorgeous day in the woods though!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Spime Wrangler posted:

Probably did 5 miles high-step skating with snow up to my shins before being able to abandon the suggested route and ski something that made sense.

Haha wow that certainly sounds like a workout even if it was fluffy powder.

I had a great day skate skiing, finally managed to find good flow in V2 with help from this drill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yr0YtQ_UDQ

Managed to V2 up a hill I could only dream about before, and it didn't even feel that hard. Jesus the difference in efficiency between bad technique and merely mediocre technique is astronomical.

V1 is also getting better, particularly to the left, but the right is still a mess. I sort of know what to do and how to time it, but mysteriously the angles and pole lengths keep changing when I switch sides!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Spime Wrangler posted:

We finally got a nice boot-top powder day in the Keweenaw, first significant snow since December, so I went skiing.

Cross country skiing. My skate marathon went virtual so my wife and I did it locally, and learned while following the suggested route for this trail system that their groomer broke down this morning so only half the trails had been panked by snowmobile. Probably did 5 miles high-step skating with snow up to my shins before being able to abandon the suggested route and ski something that made sense.

Gorgeous day in the woods though!

This looks like the world's least practical snowshoeing adventure

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
In more local injury news, we had a member of the public hit a timekeeping shack full speed and force with his body. Required a sled but not sure if it required a helo ride.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Yuns posted:

In more local injury news, we had a member of the public hit a timekeeping shack full speed and force with his body. Required a sled but not sure if it required a helo ride.

what was his time

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Ola posted:

Haha wow that certainly sounds like a workout even if it was fluffy powder.

I had a great day skate skiing, finally managed to find good flow in V2 with help from this drill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yr0YtQ_UDQ

Managed to V2 up a hill I could only dream about before, and it didn't even feel that hard. Jesus the difference in efficiency between bad technique and merely mediocre technique is astronomical.

V1 is also getting better, particularly to the left, but the right is still a mess. I sort of know what to do and how to time it, but mysteriously the angles and pole lengths keep changing when I switch sides!

it was super light on top but the storm started warm so there was a nice heavy layer on the bottom.

that drill looks dope, going to try it since my V2 sucks - it feels fast but inefficient and I think I'm making at least one of the mistakes they describe.

V1 is coming along and I'm feeling a lot more comfortable this season on my off-side. I was coached late last year to try using my regular side most of the time and my off-side for steep climbs to spread out the muscular fatigue, and that's worked out pretty well and forced me to practice it more often. plus the double-time to switch sides at the top gives you a bit of a boost on the rollover.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

ante posted:

what was his time
I don't think we need his time to declare him the winner. In all seriousness though I hope he's ok.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Got two rope drops and some knee deep turns today. Heading back out after lunch for some more amazing storm skiing. Love it, love it, love it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Spime Wrangler posted:

it was super light on top but the storm started warm so there was a nice heavy layer on the bottom.

that drill looks dope, going to try it since my V2 sucks - it feels fast but inefficient and I think I'm making at least one of the mistakes they describe.

V1 is coming along and I'm feeling a lot more comfortable this season on my off-side. I was coached late last year to try using my regular side most of the time and my off-side for steep climbs to spread out the muscular fatigue, and that's worked out pretty well and forced me to practice it more often. plus the double-time to switch sides at the top gives you a bit of a boost on the rollover.

That's a great tip. I ski on a lot of unevenly canted trails so it would be nice to be more ambidextrous, but it's definitely something I'll keep in mind.

About that V2 cue, I struggled a bit at the beginning of the day but one thing that made it click was thinking "up and down in the same place, then kick". This way I stopped thinking about making the three steps equally long, which the drill kind of suggests, and instead focused on not

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Conditions at the resorts have been absolute garbage, we haven’t had a big dump since December. So we went touring again! I tried splitting this time, the gear I rented was absolute poo poo but it gave me the bug. Going to pick up a split this year and skis probably next, started ordering stuff today but it’s hard to find stock anywhere.

Anyone have experience with the Jones skins? I’m going with a Solution split and it would be nice to have the integration but I also don’t mind just getting generic ones cut.

Conditions were awesome, did a couple laps of this bowl and then skinned back out along a river. 4-5 hours total and about 1k elevation.

Jones skins are just branded Pomoca skins. Pomoca skins are the best out there imo. I have a Solution with the Jones Nomad Pro skins. Being precut and the notch tail clip are awesome plusses. I have a Cardiff Powgoda as well with Pomoca Free Pro 2.0 skin. That tail clip system is just fine as well. At this point...whatever you can get. It seems like bindings are going to be the hardest things to get though.

Looks like a great spot to tour.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Edit: Posting with my ear trying to take a call while reading the forums...

But I did go skiing today. Second day of my aiare class at Loveland pass. Some quality turns, beautiful views, a little precip in the afternoon, and now I’m nice and tired.

Anachronist fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 25, 2021

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Backcountry is still fun.

(screen caps from the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O6m3G5Q6pk

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

spwrozek posted:

Jones skins are just branded Pomoca skins. Pomoca skins are the best out there imo. I have a Solution with the Jones Nomad Pro skins. Being precut and the notch tail clip are awesome plusses. I have a Cardiff Powgoda as well with Pomoca Free Pro 2.0 skin. That tail clip system is just fine as well. At this point...whatever you can get. It seems like bindings are going to be the hardest things to get though.

Looks like a great spot to tour.

The skins seem to be sold out everywhere, yeah. I managed to snag what I believe is the last pair of medium Spark Surges in Canada after checking every single dealer they list. One of the local shops does custom cut skins for $250 so I'll go with that if I can't find the nomads.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

lol what the hell utah

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I know this is going to out me as a complete Herb, but any patrollers or mountain workers have any recommendations for chest radio/gear harnesses. I don't need a radio that often but I am a race official so it would be really useful to have a chest harness that can accommodate a radio but also with enough versatility to hold a phone/gate judging notes/pens/notebook/headset/tools etc so that I don't have to take off my gloves and dig into my pockets or carry a backpack. I know our coaches and patrol have them but I keep forgetting to ask what they use.

edit: I decided to try out the Coaxsher RP-1 Scout (World Cup Supply sells it rebranded as a coach's chest harness.)

Yuns fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 25, 2021

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yuns posted:

I know this is going to out me as a complete Herb, but any patrollers or mountain workers have any recommendations for chest radio/gear harnesses. I don't need a radio that often but I am a race official so it would be really useful to have a chest harness that can accommodate a radio but also with enough versatility to hold a phone/gate judging notes/pens/notebook/headset/tools etc so that I don't have to take off my gloves and dig into my pockets or carry a backpack. I know our coaches and patrol have them but I keep forgetting to ask what they use.

edit: I decided to try out the Coaxsher RP-1 Scout (World Cup Supply sells it rebranded as a coach's chest harness.)

Get ski coach bib pants with all the pockets and poo poo for the radio and equipment

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

HookShot posted:

Get ski coach bib pants with all the pockets and poo poo for the radio and equipment
Oh god. I'm not sure I'm about that life.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yuns posted:

Oh god. I'm not sure I'm about that life.

They come with the added bonus of being warm as gently caress since they're designed for people who stand around all day ;)

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Spime Wrangler posted:

lol what the hell utah

Geez that is grim. Especially after the "woo-hoo this year's gonna be awesome!" bump in November.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I ordered a tip connector for my 4-year-old's rental skis because it seemed like a quicker path to being able to pull her around with my pole. But, Amazon and USPS keep having problems in some NJ distribution center, and I got sick of waiting

I am sure the real product will work better when it arrives, but for the moment this has been fine and I think kiddo is starting to figure out some stuff about leaning forward vs not. She has been falling over a fair amount and I have mostly been letting it happen. She's pretty excited to be doing this and mostly talks about it in glowing terms afterwards, even if she gets hurt a little or screams at the time.

She's able to stand up in deep snow in boots, walk around, and jump, and is getting closer to being able to pop a ski on by herself. It is amazing to me to see a young brain that can just learn totally new locomotion paradigms at this rate. The progress she's made in two weeks would, if I could not already ski, probably take me two months.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ihop posted:

Geez that is grim. Especially after the "woo-hoo this year's gonna be awesome!" bump in November.
notable that the "woo-hoo" bump in November only got things back up to the historical median

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Always sacrifice turn quality for a sick knuckle drag.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

First day skiing since I broke my fibula a year ago. Decided to sign up for a group lesson to get better and hopefully not break fibulas any more. I ended up being the only person in the low-intermediate class so I basically got a 2.5 hour private lesson for $99. Learned a lot! Didn't break any bones! Also my left leg and knee suck and I need to get this knee surgery I've been putting off, and bunion surgery.

Purgatory Resort has to be one of the best kept secrets. It was as busy as I've ever seen it today and that means it's all of a 5 minute wait for the main lift that goes to the top of the mountain. Backside lifts were maybe 30 second lines.

How's y'all's Monday?

http://chattypics.com/files/shackbrowseUpload_49hmqz3x7x.jpg

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAqX1CJwdMg

Can confirm it was pretty windy that day.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

HookShot posted:

Hell yeah

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

https://youtu.be/loNEOME5ioo

Maybe don’t turn so much if you are being chased by a bear

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

LostCosmonaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAqX1CJwdMg

Can confirm it was pretty windy that day.
Gore is one of my favorite places within reasonable driving distance. Kind of tempted to go since NJ to NY doesn't have the same quarantines as NJ to VT but don't want to travel too much right now.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

HookShot posted:

Nice. Is there any racing for you this year?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Moot .1415926535 posted:

https://youtu.be/loNEOME5ioo

Maybe don’t turn so much if you are being chased by a bear

Is that really a skier though??? Looks awfully close to a snowlerblader

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Steve French posted:

Is that really a skier though??? Looks awfully close to a snowlerblader

Haha, that was my thought too. He didn't seem too confident on em.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yuns posted:

Nice. Is there any racing for you this year?

Nope! We have a masters group set up but there's issues with getting lane space and basically no one wants us there because if there's a covid outbreak on the hill that everyone uses to train then it affects the kids, and the club mostly wants to make sure that the kids stuff can go ahead. Which I totally agree with, ultimately it's much more important that the kids get to train than for us to get to. It's cool, I've got a ton of freeski days, I'm not racing FIS anymore, and it's honestly been kind of a refreshing transition into post-ski racing life that I've got a whole year where I'm not going to be able to run gates at all.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

This video full of bad decisions was entertaining.. Snowboarder Hits Tree, Breaks leg, and Self Evacs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI55DyLBd2U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Yuns posted:

Patrollers at my mountain who use a harness use the Conterra radio harness. Fits a radio, notebook, phone, and handful of other bits.