Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Sobatchja Morda posted:

One thing that Predator sequels forget is that the original played into a zeitgeist of ancient aliens, cropcircles, UFOs and other extraterrestrial stuff. There's something from space, it considers us animals at best, and it appears when the summer is hot. When it's gone, you just find mutilated bodies and that's it.

I would lean into that mystery. Maybe take a few cues from the myth of the Minotaur, too. A small community, away from urban civilization, where every hot summer requires a sacrifice. The young are taken and thrown into the wilderness or another "labyrinth" and the Predator picks them off. Like human sacrifices to a primal God. The hero of this story fulfills the role of Theseus.

You end up with a film similar enough to the original to be recognizable, but with enough leeway so you can experiment with a more horror-focussed hook as well.

To make it even better, don't tip that it's an actual Predator. Even in marketing & advertisement. Let the reveal be a true :aaa: moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

To make it even better, don't tip that it's an actual Predator. Even in marketing & advertisement. Let the reveal be a true :aaa: moment.

Could do a fake-out with it as a minotaur with its head tilted back so its mouth spines look like horns in silhouette.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Predator tailors who make their mesh suits.

They just steal ladies' fishnet tights.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cowslips Warren posted:

For a Predator movie, poo poo, just have one set on Halloween night, something fucks up their ship so they crash it, and wild hunting ensues when they can't fix it. Or they're rear end in a top hat teenage Predators that stole the ship so their loving Predator parents have to come by later to clean poo poo up.

'rear end in a top hat teenage predator' is, funnily enough, the premise of Archie vs Predator. And the ending is wild. After the Predator goes through nearly all of the Archie cast on the slightest excuse and appears to have a crush on Betty and Veronica, and is finally captured after managing to kill a hulked-up Archie, the girls use some secret super-medical tech Veronica's dad has to turn the Predator into their new Archie.

muscles like this! posted:

Something I think is kind of dumb about the Predator franchise is the idea that their whole society revolves around hunting. Its one of those bad sci-fi tropes where humans can be all sorts of things but every alien species has a monoculture that revolves around one thing.

One of the Blue Stripes Logs on the frontpage was about a Predator technician. Also, there was an actual Star Trek species (Voyager, of course) who were transparently Predator analogues, so obsessed with hunting it's pointed out that the rest of their society is collapsing. There is of course a better take on it in DS9, or at least more interesting, when an apparent alien refugee is actually a genetically engineered, sentient quarry for alien hunters, with Predator-esque abilities divided between them. (the quarry can turn invisible, while the hunters have limited ability to see through its invisibility, and also have the ominous red dot sights)

Most of the ideas that their culture revolves entirely around hunting come from EU stuff, which is usually dumb and edgy. Always thought a more interesting take is that the Predators are the equivalent of big game hunters slash Bubba on a turkey shoot; they're not bringing their war gear for the same reason you don't bring artillery and air strikes to a deer hunt. Though reminded of that goon who used a drone with thermal cameras operated by a spotter to assist in hunting feral pigs with a spear. There's similar themes with how the Predators have very arbitrary- to us- ideas of honour and mercy, as they won't bother hunting someone unarmed, won't kill pregnant targets, etc.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'rear end in a top hat teenage predator' is, funnily enough, the premise of Archie vs Predator. And the ending is wild. After the Predator goes through nearly all of the Archie cast on the slightest excuse and appears to have a crush on Betty and Veronica, and is finally captured after managing to kill a hulked-up Archie, the girls use some secret super-medical tech Veronica's dad has to turn the Predator into their new Archie.

wut

:psyduck:

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
We're halfway through the series Your Honour and found it odd that Margo Martindale plays Bryan Cranston's mother in law even though she's only five years older than him. He could have had a young wife I guess, its just weird to cast people who look around the same age.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Then there's the Space Captain Smith novels. Suruk the Slayer is a shameless parody of the Predator, obsessed with honour, killing and the way of the warrior. But it turns out that most of his species have settled down and become civilised, and Suruk himself is a terrible disappointment to his former barbarian father who wanted him to be an accountant.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Skulker in Danny Phantom was a pretty standard Predator riff but turned out to be a tiny ghost in a suit. I like to think that's just what Predator ghosts are.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

There's no way that'd happen these days. The secret would be outed almost instantly and even printed as magazine covers. It'd be like trying to keep Arnold's role a secret in T2 that the trailers spoiled immediately.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Manager Hoyden posted:

I think the original Predator's hotpants/fishnet bodysuit ensemble implied his primary occupation wasn't hunter.

This is now my head cannon.

Predators are just space freaks out for a good time.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Predator but instead of fighting Arnie for human spines in the jungle, it's fighting him for the love of the alien queen, who runs a New York fashion magazine.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Devil Wears Chitin

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This is now my head cannon.

Predators are just space freaks out for a good time.

Head canon.

Shoulder cannon.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Mister Mind posted:

Head canon.

Shoulder cannon.

Head cannon:

Gunther Hermann from Deus Ex posted:

Might I sugest agin, a skul-gun for my head.
Yesterday in Batery Park, some scum we all know
pushes smack for NSF gets jumpy and draws. I take
2 .22's, 1 in flesh, 1 in augs, befor I can get out
that dam asalt gun.

If I could kil just by thought, it would be beter.
Is it my job to be a human target-practis backstop?

Gunther Hermann

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Annabel Pee posted:

We're halfway through the series Your Honour and found it odd that Margo Martindale plays Bryan Cranston's mother in law even though she's only five years older than him. He could have had a young wife I guess, its just weird to cast people who look around the same age.

Brian Cox plays Alan Ruck's father on Succession despite only being ten years older than him. Then again, Alan Ruck has always looked much younger than he is.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Sophia was actually younger than Dorothy on Golden Girls.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I think part of the problem with the Aliens and Terminator sequels is they created this awesome world and they only do one thing with it. Send men to have sex with or kill Sarah Connor and fight Xenomorphs, but only one kind of Xenomorph. They're basing a whole universe on one type of encounter and it gets repetitive. A movie set in the Weyland-Yutani/Colonial Marine universe where they're fighting something different might be cool.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Devil Wears Chitin

When are we going to get proper upvote functionality on this dead forum?

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Then again, Alan Ruck has always looked much younger than he is.

holy poo poo he was 30 in ferris bueller

Broderick at least was only 24

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Annabel Pee posted:

The Manchurian Candidate has Angela Lansbury playing Laurence Harvey's mother despite only being 3 years older than him.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

muscles like this! posted:

Something I think is kind of dumb about the Predator franchise is the idea that their whole society revolves around hunting. Its one of those bad sci-fi tropes where humans can be all sorts of things but every alien species has a monoculture that revolves around one thing.

We're in the Predator's untamed wilds part of the universe. We've only seen hunters because they are the only ones who would bother to come out here.

It's like a deer saying that humans are a monoculture of hunters. The rest of the Predators just do their day job and dream of one day leaving their boring office, hopping in their uncle's old space junker and strapping on a shoulder cannon for an afternoon

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Evilreaver posted:

It's like a deer saying that humans are a monoculture of hunters.

So you're suggesting a Bambi/Predator crossover where the Predator turns out to be a human hunter.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Cowslips Warren posted:

For a Predator movie, poo poo, just have one set on Halloween night, something fucks up their ship so they crash it, and wild hunting ensues when they can't fix it. Or they're rear end in a top hat teenage Predators that stole the ship so their loving Predator parents have to come by later to clean poo poo up.

For a new Aliens, just have some human spaceship find their alien homeworld. IIRC from the comics, the xenos aren't even the top of the loving food chain there, and the facehuggers and poo poo evolved to give them a chance to survive.

Just do a predator movie set on a different planet with all kinds of weird alien buffalo and flora and fauna and poo poo,nothing but made up alien language and predator clicks.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

nexus6 posted:

There's no way that'd happen these days. The secret would be outed almost instantly and even printed as magazine covers. It'd be like trying to keep Arnold's role a secret in T2 that the trailers spoiled immediately.

Yeah, the internet pretty much quashed any hope of a secret being kept until the premiere.

When was the last time you saw a movie that pulled a :aaa: moment on you?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fellow goon Crosshatch did the cover of Archie Vs. Predator II and :iia: .

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Just do a predator movie set on a different planet with all kinds of weird alien buffalo and flora and fauna and poo poo,nothing but made up alien language and predator clicks.

They kinda did that with Predators, but not enough exotic fauna IMO.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

They kinda did that with Predators, but not enough exotic fauna IMO.

And blade 3

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

A God drat vampire Pomeranian!?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Marcade posted:

A God drat vampire Pomeranian!?

Also a God drat vampire's Pomeranian.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Blade: Trinity is a glorious train wreck of a movie that I'll stop to watch if it's on TV.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I threw on Unfriended the other night and it irritates me for two reasons. One is that I actually liked it, and the second is the main character, Blaire, is just so bad with computers. It was 2013 when that movie came out and she's asking what a troll is, not using keyboard shortcuts to copy/paste, and just generally seems really lacking in basic computer skills.

I'm guessing part of it is for the audience's benefit, but it makes her seem stupider than the average teen horror protagonist.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

When was the last time you saw a movie that pulled a :aaa: moment on you?

As far as big enough films for the internet to give a poo poo, probably Batman Begins.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Blade: Trinity is a glorious train wreck of a movie that I'll stop to watch if it's on TV.

Between Triple H pretending to be able to act, Wesley Snipes refusing to act, Ryan Reynolds trying his best to make it interesting and the insanity of the plot, yeah, the third movie is the most entertaining.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Leavemywife posted:

I threw on Unfriended the other night and it irritates me for two reasons. One is that I actually liked it, and the second is the main character, Blaire, is just so bad with computers. It was 2013 when that movie came out and she's asking what a troll is, not using keyboard shortcuts to copy/paste, and just generally seems really lacking in basic computer skills.

I'm guessing part of it is for the audience's benefit, but it makes her seem stupider than the average teen horror protagonist.

I regularly teach people of all ages (17 to 70) these things fairly often, especially keyboard shortcuts because no one uses keyboards anymore unless that's literally their job. Basic computer skills are not as common as you may think. Unless she's supposed to be a savvy teenager, this is entirely real to me.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

marshmallow creep posted:

I regularly teach people of all ages (17 to 70) these things fairly often, especially keyboard shortcuts because no one uses keyboards anymore unless that's literally their job. Basic computer skills are not as common as you may think. Unless she's supposed to be a savvy teenager, this is entirely real to me.

That makes sense. I know in my college career, I had to take some basic computer skills classes (covered things like how to use Word, Excel, keyboard shortcuts) that were basically free credits to me because I knew it, but thinking about it now, there were some people around my age that acted like it was wizardry.

It just seems weird to me, but then again, my experiences aren't the norm.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Memento posted:

Between Triple H pretending to be able to act, Wesley Snipes refusing to act, Ryan Reynolds trying his best to make it interesting and the insanity of the plot, yeah, the third movie is the most entertaining.

It's unironically my favorite for all those reasons and more. Jessica Biel with the over the top gravitas, random patton Oswalt, 1000 loving one-liners from everyone, AND John Michael Higgins? Plus Parker Posey as the bitchiest vampire. So goddamn fun.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Between them filing it with tons of apple product shots, THEN going to apple to ask them if they wanna sponsor it, to beil's weird bow that shoots faster and faster with no changes whatsoever for some goddamn reason, there's always something to love about it.

Hell, Reynold's weird gigantic guns that take a picture of whoever they shoot for whatever hosed up reason.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Between them filing it with tons of apple product shots, THEN going to apple to ask them if they wanna sponsor it

:allears: I had no idea it was in that order. That's fantastic! Tell me there's a write up about it somewhere

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Fat Chandler Bing in the later seasons of Friends isn’t as good as skinny Chandler Bing. It may seem harsh but I would have preferred if Matthew Perry had stayed addicted to crack the entire run.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Memento posted:

Also Dominic Purcell chewing the hell out of the scenery as Dracula.

Push El Burrito posted:

Also a God drat vampire's Pomeranian.

Also, the correct response is "gently caress me sideways!"

Also, I use "also" too drat much, jeez.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Marcade posted:

Also Dominic Purcell chewing the hell out of the scenery as Dracula.

He's the entirely bland lowpoint of the film.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Eh, I loved "John Doe" enough that I have rose colored glasses, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Was I the only person who found Onward and Soul loving boring as gently caress? I mean, formula stories and all, and not all movies can be The Incredibles or Monster Inc, but they were just so flat for Pixar.