Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What would trump have done if he were still prez
This poll is closed.
bombed the boat 10 10.53%
told the beautiful boaters to ram the boat 45 47.37%
https://i.imgur.com/BvIBJji.jpg 40 42.11%
Total: 95 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ghost of RBG
Sep 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

MadJackal posted:

This little domestic terrorist cutie is just addicted to crimes.

this guy was posting on the covid thread about how he got the first shot of the vaccine and was already firing up his tinder lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

thanks for explaining it to me guys. i think I’m starting to understand the mysteries of number

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Youre "selling" shares now that you don't have and "buying" them back later when the price dropped.

I think.

basically you borrow a stock from entity X at the current price, sell it to entity Y (at the current price) then promise to sell it back to X in the future for the price at that time.

So you borrow a stock from X for 50 bucks, sell it to Y for 50 bucks, and the contract with X says that you sell it back to them after like 30 days or something, so if the stock drops to 25 bucks after 30 days, you buy it back from Y for 25 bucks, X then buys it back at the current price of 25 bucks and you made 25 bucks on the price difference.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

cropped the huge pancake nips. shameful.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

VideoKid posted:

thanks for explaining it to me guys. i think I’m starting to understand the mysteries of number

give me your money bitch

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Plinkey posted:

basically you borrow a stock from entity X at the current price, sell it to entity Y (at the current price) then promise to sell it back to X in the future for the price at that time.

So you borrow a stock from X for 50 bucks, sell it to Y for 50 bucks, and the contract with X says that you sell it back to them after like 30 days or something, so if the stock drops to 25 bucks after 30 days, you buy it back from Y for 25 bucks, X then buys it back at the current price of 25 bucks and you made 25 bucks on the price difference.

Sounds like a really smart way to run the global economy

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cumshitter posted:

give me your money bitch

i found a dime on the sidewalk today, what does that get me?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

VideoKid posted:

I’ve read several explanations on what short selling is and for the life of me I just don’t get it.

Short selling is essentially Wimpy from Popeye. He wants a hamburger now (which is currently $2) and will pay you back on Tuesday by buying a hamburger on sale for $1 and giving it to whoever gave him the burger and that makes him a dollar. Well technically in this particular analogy he's just saving a dollar, but in real life he'd sell the $2 burger someone gave him.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That's the slightest goddamned bit of effort away from being actually tasty

that might be the most frustrating one you've posted so far

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

cumshitter posted:

give me your money bitch

I’m broke :( where is the rest of my loving money???

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost of RBG posted:

this guy was posting on the covid thread about how he got the first shot of the vaccine and was already firing up his tinder lol

Lol, and he's in the trump thread getting horny for the terrorist chick now

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I;m thinking about thos beans

Rosaritas

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Plinkey posted:

i found a dime on the sidewalk today, what does that get me?

eat poo poo, poor

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

a.lo posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jesus christ

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Bert Roberge posted:

Remember the terrible deluge of pro-Iraq War bootleg Bart Simpson shirts?

these are great

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

free a.lo, we're all just trying to get by in these times

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Lol

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

I’m just surprised game stop is still in business.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

free a.lo, we're all just trying to get by in these times

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

VideoKid posted:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

the milk machine posted:

Crack that trump
Give the past a slump
Step on a crack
Break your mama's back

When a problem comes along
You must tmurp it
Before the cream sits out too long
You must tramp it
When something's going wrong
You must purmt it

Now tprmg it
Into shape
Shape it up
Get straight
Go forward
Move ahead
Try to detect it
It's not too late
To trump it
Trum it good

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

VideoKid posted:

so are the insanely owned hedge fund dweebs

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

just getting caught up on the news about GameStop and that hedge fund getting owned lmao

RobotCoupeDetat
Nov 3, 2020

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

Bert Roberge posted:

Remember the terrible deluge of pro-Iraq War bootleg Bart Simpson shirts?

I endorse this event or product

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VideoKid posted:

basically a lot of their stock got bought by the founder of chewy or something, and he put some people the board to move them from brick and mortar to online, funding esports...etc. and apparently planned to short the stock during the restructuring, reddit found out and starting buying the stock to run up the value, and it's gone up something like 2600% in the first 3 weeks of the year.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

Google Butt posted:

so are the insanely owned hedge fund dweebs

Stop. Gameshop. Shut 'em down? Open up, shop!

Oh, no! Crying hedge fund bros.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
So a hedge fund doesn't do anything except it's supposed to give a better return than the market average. If a hedge fund loses all of its clients money then why would anyone try and keep that hedge fund going? Why not start a new one, with different people that didn't lose all of their clients money yet?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

VideoKid posted:

I think the funnier thing is that so called economic people think a company with a business model based on buying used games from local kids and then reselling them is going to go entirely into online sales

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Vim Fuego posted:

So a hedge fund doesn't do anything except it's supposed to give a better return than the market average. If a hedge fund loses all of its clients money then why would anyone try and keep that hedge fund going? Why not start a new one, with different people that didn't lose all of their clients money yet?
:allears:

How old were you in 2008?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1353840058734788610
Lovecraft country owns so I'm down with this

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

TMMadman posted:

I think the funnier thing is that so called economic people think a company with a business model based on buying used games from local kids and then reselling them is going to go entirely into online sales

Probably like once a year I'll get the impulse "maybe I should go into gamestop" when I'm shopping somewhere near where there is one. I am here to urge anyone who ever also feels that impulse to utterly ignore it.

There is nothing of value in those stores anymore.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Vim Fuego posted:

Because it's too big to fail.

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Vim Fuego posted:

I’m gonna assume it’s a money laundering scheme.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

https://twitter.com/CopingMAGA/status/1353583379569061888

:thunkher:

:hmmyes:

:colbert:

:smugbert:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Probably like once a year I'll get the impulse "maybe I should go into gamestop" when I'm shopping somewhere near where there is one. I am here to urge anyone who ever also feels that impulse to utterly ignore it.

There is nothing of value in those stores anymore.

I haven’t passed one in years. I really thought they went out of business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Vim Fuego posted:

finance folk always help each other out in times of need. it's a relationship based industry