Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Snailzz69/status/1353891835689775104?s=20

:getout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
He looks like the antagonist of a magical school series

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
the pewdiepie thing is gonna be pokimane redux but people will think it's fine 'cause it's pewdiepie. :nallears:

---

Anyways, this is not actually vtuber news but I know there's some budding vtubers that read this thread and they might appreciate this info before it becomes inapplicable.

tldr: Right now YouTube has One Weird Trick for insane engagement metrics and if you need help with the youtube content hellsphere might as well take every advantage you can get.
The Weird Trick is community posts and community polls, because they are ridonkulously overtuned in the algorithm and it's really easy to make them reach waaaaaay beyond anything else you could ever make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej0Kijd4_4Q

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Big Draco Malfoy energy from that model.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Other VTubers have their own screen savers when they are going to the restroom. But for Nene

I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsfiPkbpCRA

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape

Jerkface posted:

He looks like the antagonist of a magical school series

Who in their right mind thinks "I want to look like knockoff Draco Malfoy"?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
3 balloons + Wings within a scant 20 minutes of sky exploration. Yup, this is a Coco Terraria stream, alright.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/LisaMcRad/status/1353902972082774027?s=20

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So im still new to the whole Vtuber thing. Why does Coco get a lot of hate?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

BigRed0427 posted:

So im still new to the whole Vtuber thing. Why does Coco get a lot of hate?

She dared to mention Taiwan

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Also, Coco speaking english makes me think of Gypsy from MST3K

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Tarezax posted:

She dared to mention Taiwan

It's this, at one point she was showing Youtube's viewer metrics dashboard which separates Taiwan from mainland China as different regions. Ever since then Chinese nationalists have been full on trying to destroy her life with any means possible.

No, it doesn't really make sense why it's Coco and not Youtube/Google as a whole.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And this had a snowball effect leading to Hololive almost completely pulling out of China and forcing the CN Vtubers to retire.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Basically, Coco offhandedly mentioned Taiwan in one of her Asacoco streams as part of a segment talking about her viewer metrics according to Youtube, and it sparked a bunch of Chinese nationalists to wage a huge hate campaign against her (and the rest of Hololive to a lesser extent once it became clear they weren't going to cave in and fire her). The whole mess wound up causing Hololive to stop streaming on Bilibili and shut down their CN branch as well. Haachama also got a bit of hate for doing the same thing a day or two earlier but to a much lesser extent, and Coco's the only one whose hate brigade still has any legs.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Ultima66 posted:

It's this, at one point she was showing Youtube's viewer metrics dashboard which separates Taiwan from mainland China as different regions. Ever since then Chinese nationalists have been full on trying to destroy her life with any means possible.

No, it doesn't really make sense why it's Coco and not Youtube/Google as a whole.

Chinese anti's attack anyone that prefers youtube over bilibil these days.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Pochi let it slip on her English practice stream that she's going to have a collab with Ina, Iofi and Reine sometime next month, playing some sort of game. She wants to do it in English, so she's practicing for it. :3: I wonder how good her understanding of it is, her pronunciation is very good and seems to be able to read/write simple sentences.

E: She also knows the theme song for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and I have no idea how she would know about that

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Lyer posted:

E: She also knows the theme song for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and I have no idea how she would know about that

Do you mean the english version? Cause it aired in japan (Before Evangelion took its time slot)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZMgzhRma_c

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Blun_Z/status/1353570713282592770?s=20

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

She's loving amazing, that entire stream was gold front to back. It was criminally short

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Tae posted:

Do you mean the english version? Cause it aired in japan (Before Evangelion took its time slot)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZMgzhRma_c

That's is not a show I expected to be exported to Japan.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I wonder if it got the Samurai Pizza Cats treatment in Japan.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Carteret posted:

She's loving amazing, that entire stream was gold front to back. It was criminally short

Unforetunately that's just how Suisei rolls. The greater majority of the time she does karaoke streams she'll have a prepared setlist that she won't deviate from and honestly it feels she's timed down to the second for stream length.

It's part of her perfectionist personality, that she doesn't really perform a song live unless she knows she'll kill it. Downside is you get a lot of these comparitively shorter karaoke streams usually beween half an hour to an hour. It's always criminally short.

It's a rough addiction being a Hoshiyomi.

Kata-Haro fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 26, 2021

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvO9mu5bdlc

MiComet gta highlights

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

SpartanIvy posted:

I wonder if it got the Samurai Pizza Cats treatment in Japan.

The one thing I know about Japanese TMNT, aside from the existence of the made-in-Japan miniseries where they get power-up transformations, is that Krang calls Shredder "Sawaki-chan" (for Oroku Sawaki) and the Japanese fans think that's a very funny thing to reference.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Lyer posted:

If King of the Hill has a official Japanese release, then all bets are off.

Magna Kaser posted:

this kind of thing happened a lot, in the 90s especially. they actually re-re-exported a some of the American Power Rangers/etc series as a different show from whatever Super Sentai it originally was in Asia.

I have to imagine if you live in japan and are a Sentai fan, watching Japanese dub of the Original Power Rangers must be a mind gently caress.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 26, 2021

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Lyer posted:

this kind of thing happened a lot, in the 90s especially. they actually re-re-exported a some of the American Power Rangers/etc series as a different show from whatever Super Sentai it originally was in Asia.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm only dropping this because SA is a dead forum but I have a friend who had HoloEN Gen 2 interview (they approached her) and they're looking for people who are bilingual in at minimum Japanese/English and can sing in both languages, so HoloEN Gen 2 is probably going to lean more Gura-based.

I've got no reason to believe she was lying or exaggerating because she is a fairly well known artist on twitter, I've known her for almost a decade personally, and she barely knew what v-tubing was until they contacted her. She called me and asked if it was similar to Kizuna AI (She described it as the anime girl that said gently caress a lot playing resident evil)

They passed on her because she didn't know any Japanese.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Seems like an odd reason to turn down a holoen candidate

Does Ame even know much Japanese

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Amelia and Gura both don't know any Japanese so that seems weird, being bilingual is nice but it shouldn't be a requirement considering how popular all of EN is.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Gen1 has 3 passable japanese speakers, they probably realized that being able to collab with everyone is a huge boon. Or they already had candidates who are not fluent and want to make sure they get a few who are.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm not surprised if they tighten up the requirements to keep HoloEN successful (at the cost of weeding out some potential stars who don't fit the criteria). Like a certain wrestling promotion put up tryouts with a minimum height requirement for trainees, when some of their best wrestlers don't even meet that.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Sounds like they're hedging bets for an eventual open audition process. Get some members that fit the criteria you're looking for in case you don't get enough through the open audition. Use said audition to find any other exceptional talents that didn't fit your initial criteria, but are too good to pass up.

E: Also if they were smart, they'd get someone who could speak Spanish decently too. They'd have the Hispanic viewers on lockdown.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 26, 2021

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My take on it would be that being English only separates them from corporate too much. Think about if the only people you could really talk to at your work place was your direct manager and immediate team members. It's very isolating for both sides.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Is it for Gen 2? They put up specifically wanting an English singing talent a while back, but it didn't seem like they were looking for a whole new Gen yet for EN. Their plans could have altered after whatever they got from auditions. If they have a whole Gen lined up, they may be looking for something more specific to fill it out. Or maybe they are scouting talent for Gen 2 before doing open recruitment. Who knows, I'm just throwing up wild speculations.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I don't doubt your friend in the slightest, but how sure were you that it was for GEN2 and not the open audition for an EN Singer that is closing soon? I obviously don't know what kind of artist she is so if its not music this is a dumb question.

edit: beaten

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I think they just realized from their experience with HoloEN1 that the language barrier is really limiting and would prefer to avoid that. It's pretty clear now that having ENs capable of interacting with JP is a massive plus. It's extremely synergistic.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Lyer posted:

Honestly I don't think the EN girls are treated any differently than the JP/ID girls and it's just a side effect of their personalities and situations. The 3 of them (Ame, Gura, Ina) that stream in times better for Westerners are incredibly introverted and have difficulty even asking for collabs even within Hololive. On the other side of the coin for English Vtubers, I can see an apprehension for asking the EN girls for collabs without it seeming like they're wanting to ride their popularity.

The other two that would be willing to reach out, stream at ungodly hours for most English Vtubers. Also Kiara would rather much collab with the JP branch (because she can easily) and that basically leaves Callie who probably wants to have "non standard" collabs with people outside of Hololive that get shut down.

Calli has said shes stopped asking for collabs because management shoots down all her ideas in a members stream

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Kyte posted:

I think they just realized from their experience with HoloEN1 that the language barrier is really limiting and would prefer to avoid that. It's pretty clear now that having ENs capable of interacting with JP is a massive plus. It's extremely synergistic.

I mean it could also be that they wanna keep a similar spread in that regard and are trying to recruit for the the more Kiara role. Trying to figure out what their recruitment policy is from like one (rumored) data point seems pretty pointless.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

botan turned ollie's minecraft house into a ramen shop

Shishiro Botan: Lore Knower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Yinlock posted:

botan turned ollie's minecraft house into a ramen shop

Shishiro Botan: Lore Knower

She's just putting salt in the wounds, prefers her meals to be seasoned