Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

If I recall right, he was so good at selling for the big stars when he was an enhancement guy, particularly at "going up light" that they quickly pulled him off the air so they could repackage him as Big Bubba and make him a proper character member of the roster himself?

The most repeated story is he was brought in with a small crew of enhancement guys and paired up with Tully Blanchard and being like twice Tully's size nobody thought he could give this big chunk his slingshot suplex finisher but Ray insisted he could and lo, Tully did. I think it's on YouTube. Dusty saw that and the wheels started spinning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Dawgstar posted:

The most repeated story is he was brought in with a small crew of enhancement guys and paired up with Tully Blanchard and being like twice Tully's size nobody thought he could give this big chunk his slingshot suplex finisher but Ray insisted he could and lo, Tully did. I think it's on YouTube. Dusty saw that and the wheels started spinning.

It's definitely on the WWE network, which is where I saw it - dude went up light as a feather and made Tully look like an absolute beast. Dusty pulled him off TV shortly after that to grow a beard so he could come back as Cornette's bodyguard.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://twitter.com/MengsMullet/status/1077121558286602240?s=20

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Bossman was always pretty absurdly athletic for a guy his size as long as he was in shape.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
You forget just how big a dude Bossman was. By the time he returned to WWF in the Attitude Era, there were multiple guys at or approaching 7' hanging around at any one time and he looked fairly normal next to them.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 26, 2021

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Bossman was always pretty absurdly athletic for a guy his size as long as he was in shape.

There's a gif of him going wild in AJPW against Kobashi, and he looks slick af. Bossman was legit.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Even Bossman's elimination in the '92 Rumble is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XPi2RKYPX0&t=1754s

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I just realized.
HHH is The Game.
X-Pac is short for 'Expansion Pack'

Sean Waltman is HHH's expansion pack.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Red posted:

Even Bossman's elimination in the '92 Rumble is awesome.
I've never seen a guy that size do a reverse crescent kick, drat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just throwing it in there with no fanfare like a punch too.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Maybe it's just the angle and the sell but that punch right after is really good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There's a gif of him going wild in AJPW against Kobashi, and he looks slick af. Bossman was legit.

I'd love to live in the alternate reality where Boss Man did a lot more Japan work and was Hansen's tag partner for a good stretch.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

What are some fun signature spots? I was just thinking of ZSJ and his insistence on a strike exchange upon which he dies IMMEDIATELY after the first strike.

The only other one I can think of is Flair top rope never works when heel. I'm sure there are a lot, I'm either unfamiliar with them or can't think of them atm

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You headbutt a Samoan at your peril.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Not sure if these count because they're not really moves but:

I always liked Regal's "wave to the royal box" taunt punctuation, which always seemed to get a surprising amount of heat. It probably helped that he always had a huge poo poo-eating grin whilst he did it.

Loved Big Poppa Pump's pin cancellation into mocking push-ups.

Any campy dance like those that Rene Dupree and Alex Wright used to do.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I didn't hate the smooth Chucky T's hand grenade.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

ChrisBTY posted:

I just realized.
HHH is The Game.
X-Pac is short for 'Expansion Pack'

Sean Waltman is HHH's expansion pack.

I love this idea but The Game nickname didn’t come around until 1999. In all’s serious though, is X-Pac just supposed to refer to ex-(wolf)pack?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I love this idea but The Game nickname didn’t come around until 1999. In all’s serious though, is X-Pac just supposed to refer to ex-(wolf)pack?

He was called Syxx-Pac and now that he joined DX he became X-Pac. It's that simple.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

He was called Syxx-Pac and now that he joined DX he became X-Pac. It's that simple.

Wasn't he just Syxx in WCW? Because he was the sixth member of the NWO. The Syxx-Pac moniker didn't come until much later, when he joined TNA, and they combined "Syxx" with "X-Pac".

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
He was Syxx because 1+2+3 and WCW obviously couldn't call him 1-2-3-Kid.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Super Dan posted:

Wasn't he just Syxx in WCW? Because he was the sixth member of the NWO. The Syxx-Pac moniker didn't come until much later, when he joined TNA, and they combined "Syxx" with "X-Pac".

His name was Syxx but he was also called Syxx Pac. He also was not actually the Sixth member.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

he was the sixth nwo member

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Arn was a great seller; loved it when he would start swinging at air.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

He was called Syxx because it was callback to his 1-2-3 Kid gimmick. (1+2+3=Syxx you see. Also 1*2*3).
And HHH was always the game; even before he started calling himself that. Just ask him.

Unrelated: "The Game" really needed some foil (like Cena, Orton or Batista) to mess with him and tell him 'You're The Game and you just got played" but HHH's ego probably never allowed that to happen.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 26, 2021

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

jesus WEP posted:

he was the sixth nwo member

If you don't count ted dibiase, yeah. If you do, he is 7th after hogan, hall, nash, dibiase, giant, and nwo sting

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

If you don't count ted dibiase, yeah. If you do, he is 7th after hogan, hall, nash, dibiase, giant, and nwo sting
what if i count ted dibiase but not that jabroni nwo sting

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jesus WEP posted:

what if i count ted dibiase but not that jabroni nwo sting

You can't do that because nWo Sting was a member of the nWo for many years.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Artelier posted:

What are some fun signature spots? I was just thinking of ZSJ and his insistence on a strike exchange upon which he dies IMMEDIATELY after the first strike.

The only other one I can think of is Flair top rope never works when heel. I'm sure there are a lot, I'm either unfamiliar with them or can't think of them atm

You Can't Powerbomb Kidman!
You Can (But Shouldn't) Piledrive Road Warrior Hawk!

Multi-wrestler specific:
Better go for a superplex! *tower of doom'd*
All but one of us, huddle up on the outside! *gets hit with a dive*

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

You can't do that because nWo Sting was a member of the nWo for many years.

Wasn't he a big mainstay in nWo Japan?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

ChrisBTY posted:

Unrelated: "The Game" really needed some foil (like Cena, Orton or Batista) to mess with him and tell him 'You're The Game and you just got played" but HHH's ego probably never allowed that to happen.

In WCW's latter days Booker T had the catchphrase "Don't hate the player...HATE THE GAME!!", which in addition to being a common phrase was probably supposed to be a dig at HHH. I don't think he got to use it when he actually feuded with HHH two years later, possibly because HHH was too busy being racist at him.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Artelier posted:

Rick Rude's overselling of the atomic drop is one of my favorites.

I also always loved it when Perfect did the gum swat. When he entered the 2002 Rumble, he was in the middle of getting shoved on the ropes by HHH and Austin, but he still spits and swats his gum.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Artelier posted:

"Smooth Sailing" Ashley Remington (Dalton Castle's Chikara gimmick) would hold his opponent in the corner as the ref counted. He would then immediately pull back and say, "I break at ONE, my friend!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Arn was a great seller; loved it when he would start swinging at air.

What OSW termed 'Aloha Arn' (Arn fighting a sunset flip) was fun too.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Artelier posted:

What are some fun signature spots?

At first YOU CAN'T POWERBOMB KIDMAN was a fun spot, then it got ruined because every single match he had HAD to have that spot.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

One of my favorite little moments was at the '88 Survivor Series, during the massive 10 team Survivor Series match. At one point, dual tags end up with Tully Blanchard facing against The Warlord, and instead of locking up, Tully practically tiptoes across the ring, tags Nicolai Volkoff, and ducks out of the ring.

anakha posted:

At first YOU CAN'T POWERBOMB KIDMAN was a fun spot, then it got ruined because every single match he had HAD to have that spot.

When Norman the Lunatic was a thing in the NWA, his finisher was a Sit Down Splash, which was always done as a counter to a sunset flip. So you'd see guys who had never done a sunset flip in their career (i.e. Cactus Jack) attempt the move, only to be thwarted.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I always appreciated Piper’s “What do you mean two?” eye poke after a pin attempt.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

Wasn't he a big mainstay in nWo Japan?

Indeed he was.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Indeed he was.

I don't think anybody gets into wrestling to make a career out of impersonating a more successful wrestler, but hey, good for Jeff Farmer.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

anakha posted:

It was redeemed when Kanyon reversed it into the Flatliner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I always loved

"I HAVE UNTIL 5, MISTER REFEREE"

and it was also great when people would turn it around on Danielson