Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Dude, source your quotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

swickles posted:

Dude, source your quotes.

It's horrible to read since everything is like triple spoilered but it's all on the expanse reddit. Actually no I can't in good faith tell anyone to look at reddit.

The specific meltdown about Bull giving Monica some eye contact while updating Holden on the situation was extremely real and peak reddit. Dude wrote paragraphs about how it took him out of the show and felt like he was being "bludgeoned" with feminism and politics. It brought other people out of the woodwork to complain about Naomi being given too much screen time and how there's obviously something political going on to give a black woman such a season-dominating plot. Also did anyone notice the Belters are kinda political, like the writers are of the opinion that terrorists aren't just mindless monsters and sometimes have motivations for their causes? Clearly earth and mars are stand ins for america and the belt are all the people it allegedly "oppresses" so the show is saying 9/11 was justified in some way? Absolutely sick!!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Narsham posted:

I'd think that would drive recreational drug use, especially if good booze is hard to come by in space. On that account, I hear James is Holden.

I started re-watching it from S1 because I was bored and in the very first episode Shed is just openly selling drugs in the Canterbury common room/cafeteria/whatever. Holden asks him for some Legal Space Drug and he says he's all out but he offers a baggie of Illicit Space Drug instead and nobody bats an eye, p sure everyone in space is on drugs all the time

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Crazycryodude posted:

I started re-watching it from S1 because I was bored and in the very first episode Shed is just openly selling drugs in the Canterbury common room/cafeteria/whatever. Holden asks him for some Legal Space Drug and he says he's all out but he offers a baggie of Illicit Space Drug instead and nobody bats an eye, p sure everyone in space is on drugs all the time

Yeah, and on the Behemoth Drummer is seen as going way overboard for wanting to crack down hard on people on active duty being blasted to poo poo on space drugs. I mean what's next, not allowing it recreationally?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Why are we still pretending that Alex does anything but sit in the car with the ac on and his favorite music playing?

They didn't need to cut anything for Alex now or in the future. Find someone new to cook and he's fully replaced.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

There are also many posts citing the fact that Holden’s character is loosely based off the protagonist he’s named after from Catcher in the Rye. James A Corey had said in a few tweet replies in the past (now deleted, of course) that he and JD Salinger are, “cut from the same cloth.” He wrote Holden to portray a young man who feels he doesn’t really fit in anywhere, and through his aimlessness and animosity becomes personally compelled by a selfless fantasy to try to save everyone in the solar system. Amos being a distressed character study on Holden Caulfield’s only friend, Stradlater, is just icing on the cake.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Azhais posted:

Why are we still pretending that Alex does anything but sit in the car with the ac on and his favorite music playing?

They didn't need to cut anything for Alex now or in the future. Find someone new to cook and he's fully replaced.

Yeah, we're lucky that Alex is the one character that they could recast or drop without much of a problem, he really doesn't have anything interesting going on besides a wife that hates him for some barely explained reasons.

Pretty surprised seeing people dislike this season compared to adventures in slug land last season. The latest episode was a bit slow maybe but there's way more going on this season and I'm finding it far more interesting.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 26, 2021

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Alex was an emotional sounding board for everyone else on the ship and while he had a kind of corny, folksy affectation he was an important contrast to Amos' vague, nihilistic truisms. While he wasn't always "on the Away Team" his presence on the ship meant the Rocinante remained an emotional element of the narrative rather than a plot device floating off-screen. Let's not retroactively diminish the character's significance. He had great chemistry with Bobby and the space battle set pieces are basically what made the show appealing to broader audiences. It's a real drat shame that we're losing an import piece of the character framework all because Cas Anvar chose to be a piece of poo poo.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I do find it interesting how people dislike someone like Cas (and rightfully so) for being a creep, but are absolutely head over heels for a sociopathic character like Amos (or others like Dexter).

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Amos is a fictitious character who kills/maims assholes, Anvar is a real person who is an rear end in a top hat

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Tighclops posted:

Amos is a fictitious character who kills/maims assholes, Anvar is a real person who is an rear end in a top hat

I get that part of it, its kind of my point.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Extended scenes with people dunking on Alex would also be welcome.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Liking (being entertained by) a character ain't the same thing as liking (enjoying the company of) a person who acts like that character.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Sorry, I think I may have phrased it in an unclear way....

Im saying that people seem to want want Alex the character to suffer (because of the actors inexcusable behaviour) even though the character is a pretty good person while also fawning over another character who is a sociopath.

I just find the juxtaposition interesting.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like Alex the character. He's the ship's kinda cringe boomer dad who genuinely just wants everyone to get along with each other and also wants their approval. His life is a pathetic mess but he's got a good heart and cares, he's genuine and vulnerable and that's nice to see on a show filled with very hard and serious people.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Its not that hard to recast a character, people will understand. I like Alex, the show would be worse off without him.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Baudolino posted:

Its not that hard to recast a character, people will understand. I like Alex, the show would be worse off without him.

And it's not like there isn't precedent in this show lol.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Also, why don`t people don`t like Naomi? The crying has been very proportional to the torment experienced, her victories paid for in blood and sweat. Most importantly her story has been very well acted. It never felt mawkish. She`s no Michael Burnham.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I like her :)

Except for the part where she beat up big daddy belter and then airlocked him

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
"A timed release would be better" they said.

"If people just binge the whole show in a weekend, we'll miss out on all the wonderful discourse and discussion" they said.

:geno:

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Baudolino posted:

Also, why don`t people don`t like Naomi? The crying has been very proportional to the torment experienced, her victories paid for in blood and sweat. Most importantly her story has been very well acted. It never felt mawkish. She`s no Michael Burnham.

Ive never heard anyone say they dislike Naomi. Shes probably the best acted, most well rounded and complex character on the show.

What do people think of Filip? Here we have a teenager that was abandoned by his mother and has been groomed and manipulated by his father since birth to eventually commit genocide for what he believes are noble reasons. Is he evil? can he be redeemed? should he be redeemed? is he boring? does he just suck because Marco sucks?

TommyGun85 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 26, 2021

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Baronjutter posted:

It's horrible to read since everything is like triple spoilered but it's all on the expanse reddit. Actually no I can't in good faith tell anyone to look at reddit.

I laughed at your previous post, and then again thinking about how they'd react upon learning Ty Franck is pretty vocally feminist and Daniel Abraham has pronouns in his bio.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

"If people just binge the whole show in a weekend, we'll miss out on all the wonderful discourse and discussion" they said.

The same thing happened with the most recent season of The Boys--at least with this we just have to explain what happened in the episode 50 times and not deal with loving Nazis in the thread.

Weirdly, the conversation was a lot different for episodes like 1-6, but regardless I'm actually enjoying the weekly release for the most part.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TommyGun85 posted:

Ive never heard anyone say they dislike Naomi. Shes probably the best acted, most well rounded and complex character on the show.

Redditors don't like Naomi, is what I took from that post.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the idea that Dom Tipper is really frustrated and about to quit because she's mad at how they portray the physics in this show is insanely funny, though

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Chalks posted:

he really doesn't have anything interesting going on besides a wife that hates him for some barely explained reasons.

Its actually explained pretty well, he literally ghosted his family after they thought he died for at least a few weeks if not longer and the first message he sends them is “yeah I figured you guys would want to know I’m alive but I think I like loving around in space more than I did being with my family, so peace out.” I’d be upset too!

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Shows being released weekly is actually cool and good, ad long as the writers remember that they’re supposed to pace the writing for a weekly release instead of a single delirious 12-hour binge

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm actually a big fan of Naomi's arc this season, it's nice to see her survivalist streak really play out, while clearly different from someone like Amos or Miller.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Legally he is guilty of crimes against humanity by abetting a terror attack that will ensure the death of billions and should be locked away for life.
Morally he can be redeemed but only by doing everything possible to stop Marco. What else can anyone of us do when we have done wrong but try to stop the evil you have put into motion?
A historical comparison would be captured German officers who chose to aid the Soviets in return for better treatment. Likewise with those elements of Italy`s armed forces who fougth against the fascist when their country changed sides. Regardless of motivation i would say those people were at least partially reedeemed. This includes the war criminals.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Reminder that the protomolecule is only still in play because Naomi unilaterally decided that the belt needed a wmd to stay relevant in system politics, so all of her weeping about this is a little hypocritical

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

TommyGun85 posted:

Im saying that people seem to want want Alex the character to suffer (because of the actors inexcusable behaviour) even though the character is a pretty good person while also fawning over another character who is a sociopath.

To get it out of the way, Amos isn't a sociopath in that he definitely doesn't have antisocial personality disorder. He isn't as outwardly affected by his emotions as everyone else, but that's a trauma/survival response. He understands right and wrong, but his framework for right and wrong is just different than most other people's--which is why he relies heavily on Naomi and then Jim to make sure he can be the right kind of Bad Guy (as he explains it in an earlier season).

But the reason I think people like Amos as a character more than Alex is because Alex is just like, the pathetic kind of hosed up. Dude ghosts his family and lets them think he's dead until he decides he should be able to just walk back into their lives and doesn't understand why it doesn't just instantly work. Most people watching the show are much, much more likely to know an Alex, but very few probably know an Amos.

edited to respond to this:

Azhais posted:

Reminder that the protomolecule is only still in play because Naomi unilaterally decided that the belt needed a wmd to stay relevant in system politics, so all of her weeping about this is a little hypocritical

bruh what

Sab Sabbington fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 26, 2021

Dancer
May 23, 2011
There was a single sample still in existence that they were meant to launch into the sun. Then Naomi gave it to Fred

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah Alex is the older co-worker in the office who never really went anywhere career-wise and is a real try-hard with anything to do with office social events and tries to get everyone jazzed up about that poo poo. But get him talking and its all about his failed marriage and kids who won't talk to him. I'm sure everyone's worked with a few Alex's.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Dancer posted:

There was a single sample still in existence that they were meant to launch into the sun. Then Naomi gave it to Fred

Nah I get that, there's just a ton of universal morality-style takes popping up here and there and "Attempting to protect her people from two massive entities with a precedent for unflinchingly murdering Belters en masse, which she also regrets" vs "Being catastrophically upset about her abusive ex making her son party to the largest mass death event in human history, while also taunting her about it" are not the same thing morally or practically. It's not hypocritical.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sab Sabbington posted:

The same thing happened with the most recent season of The Boys--at least with this we just have to explain what happened in the episode 50 times and not deal with loving Nazis in the thread.

Weirdly, the conversation was a lot different for episodes like 1-6, but regardless I'm actually enjoying the weekly release for the most part.

Yeah I remember that too.

At least we seem to be Nazi free in this thread.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Hating Naomi has big hating Skyler energy

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Regarde Aduck posted:

Hating Naomi has big hating Skyler energy

With bonus racism!

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I would argue that the two sequences you are talking about are almost identical: the build up across multiple episodes culminates with both Bobby and Naomi crossing a threshold which permanently alters the condition and course of their lives leaving old identities and lives behind.

They both even have to play cat-and-mouse games with their hosts/captors where Bobby and Naomi have to use their skills at subterfuge to get themselves into a position where they can fling themselves across that threshold.
:shrug:

Thing is though... for Bobbie, she betrayed her nation and upbringing to become a self-actualized individual and has held steady since.

Naomi has already skipped town multiple times. She left the Rocci crew to be with the Belters on the Behemoth, and then she was like 'nah' and slipped away again from the Belters to get back to her people on the Rocci. And she's already betrayed the trust of the Rocci crew with the protomolecule hiding thing, showing that even when she's with one 'family' she can have divided loyalty to another. Her origin on the Cant was her leaving her family behind. Now Naomi is leaving the Rocci crew again to get her biological family back?

So for me Naomi going back to try and get Filip doesn't have the same kind of character arc impact Bobbie's defection had.

<edit> and so far in general I've been enjoying S5. I feel like S4 was a little tighter and better, but we got two eps left to blow the doors off here. There are avenues I would have liked to have gone down and changes I would have made, but all in all, decently solid. Not every season can be a season 3 barnstormer.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TommyGun85 posted:

I do find it interesting how people dislike someone like Cas (and rightfully so) for being a creep, but are absolutely head over heels for a sociopathic character like Amos (or others like Dexter).

Amos is also more complex and his acts of violence are never glamorized unlike in shows such as Dexter.

If anything the character is similar appeal to Bronn from Game of Thrones as being a side character with pragmatic, often anti-heroic tendencies.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

etalian posted:

Amos is also more complex and his acts of violence are never glamorized

Not glamorized, but Amos's violence is definitely portrayed as righteous violence. Which is often kinda dangerous...

Although I'm a big Amos fan.

I was a Bronn fan too, but Amos and Bronn are a bit different. Bronn wouldn't ever befriend Prax or tell Anna that he's not going to let anybody hurt her. Or befriend a fellow sociopath like Melba.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The reason why I said there's stuff cut regarding Alex is because in press releases they said they cut a lot of stuff and secondly a huge plotline from Book 5 is totally missing from the season and clearly not gonna happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Amos reminds me of old sci fi heroes where they were hard men making hard decisions but also has humanity and emotions.

When He and Peaches smash, it is going to be all about glamour shots of Amos's rear end.