Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's pretty awesome. I wouldn't mind a 1st gen DOHC SC, they were always my favorite.

Shame the SWs were so drat ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

GM killed Olds to keep Saturn, the bastards. Their oldest marque, and they just threw it away, rather than actually putting effort into making it not the copy of Chevy that they let Olds become. Over a 10 years of history - poof!

When exactly was an Olds a unique brand though? And what kind of niche could they fill in the market?

Goddamn GM was and is a mess. For each of the brands you can say what it was except for one or two models that weren't that thing. Pontiac was sporty cars but also the Aztek? Buicks are comfortable upmarket cars but also the GNX? Olds was what exactly? Mid market? Performance? Luxury coupe?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Haha that's awesome

Gonna leave this here, his promos were one of the reasons I loved him :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4lK41SX-Q

This is the best promo that has ever been cut. I bought this shirt for my brother-in-law last year: https://www.prowrestlingtees.com/cream-of-the-crop.html

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Haha that's awesome

Gonna leave this here, his promos were one of the reasons I loved him :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4lK41SX-Q

He was such a trip.

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

STR posted:

That's pretty awesome. I wouldn't mind a 1st gen DOHC SC, they were always my favorite.

Shame the SWs were so drat ugly.

The 2nd gen back end (seen from the side) always makes me think of the saturn logo (no idea if that was intentional design or not). But I also really love these stupid plastic cars in all their iterations, and apparently I'm not the only one!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

StormDrain posted:

When exactly was an Olds a unique brand though? And what kind of niche could they fill in the market?

Goddamn GM was and is a mess. For each of the brands you can say what it was except for one or two models that weren't that thing. Pontiac was sporty cars but also the Aztek? Buicks are comfortable upmarket cars but also the GNX? Olds was what exactly? Mid market? Performance? Luxury coupe?

every multibrand company has issues with this because each brand has someone who's responsible for brand level performance, so they always try to expand in to new segments and spaces to grow volumes... then you of course end up with a million of everything that directly competes or is just lousy badge engineered poo poo. it will be interesting to see if Stellantis' (lol) regional/national brand strategy kinda works or not.

everdave posted:

My therapist and doctor are doing nothing for me. I really like my doc but he just wants to put me on more medicine I don't want to be on pills. The therapist is nice but I see no reason to talk about my childhood and mother and father when i am dealing with more present issues. Listen everyone who knows me knows i am a narcissist so i admit that and recognize i am. but i won't say anymore to sound like a fool but someone with a bachelor's degree talking to me about my problems when they don't have kids is not helping me. i honestly do not say anything to belittle the person. it just does not make sense.

if your therapist isn't work for ya you should switch therapists, but I've found in my own life that things which I believe are pressing and present issues are usually influenced by my prior experiences, and understanding my past is usually an effective way for me to understand my present.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Is it weird if I’m annoyed by people randomly doing kind things that I didn’t ask for? My block is full of bored retired guys and we got absolutely dumped on all day today. I’m sitting in my front room waiting for my co-worker to finish loading stuff so we can sign off for the day, and some old guy I don’t know just waltzes over with his snowblower and does half my driveway. This is the second time it’s happened this winter, the first time by some other dude. I appreciate it but I am more than capable of taking care of my property I’m just working right now damnit! Go slip and fall on someone else’s driveway!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

T-Square posted:

Is it weird if I’m annoyed by people randomly doing kind things that I didn’t ask for? My block is full of bored retired guys and we got absolutely dumped on all day today. I’m sitting in my front room waiting for my co-worker to finish loading stuff so we can sign off for the day, and some old guy I don’t know just waltzes over with his snowblower and does half my driveway. This is the second time it’s happened this winter, the first time by some other dude. I appreciate it but I am more than capable of taking care of my property I’m just working right now damnit! Go slip and fall on someone else’s driveway!

You know... he's probably bored and wants to use his cool snow blower. The pro comment is to go out and yell at him for quitting half way through!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

This is the best promo that has ever been cut. I bought this shirt for my brother-in-law last year: https://www.prowrestlingtees.com/cream-of-the-crop.html

That's awesome I've never seen that, I actually have the shirt he's wearing in the promo I should probably get that one too

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

StormDrain posted:

One of these days if I ever got so absurdly bored as to do it, I wonder how small each GM brand's product line would look over time if you completely eliminated anything shared between brands - looking for all those spots in the GM venn diagram that don't have any overlap.

Even then the lines get blurry. Case in point, I'd want to eliminate the entire 1967-2002 F-body from both Chevrolet and Pontiac, since in all reality how different is a Chevy 305 from an Oldsmobile 307 when they're both anemic pushrod V8s? But I'd let Chevy keep the C6 and Cadillac keep the XLR since despite being on the same chassis, LS vs Northstar and suspension tuning made for a somewhat different experience.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

T-Square posted:

Yes it’s weird. You can accept someone’s service even if you are capable of doing it yourself. Sometimes people like to serve others because it makes them feel good? Pay it forward?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

StormDrain posted:

1907, probably.

quote:

At least in the pre-'80s, more or less between Chevy and Buick, or maybe Buick and Cadillac. Around the 80s-90s, they started adding features that used to only be on the "upper" brands to everything, at least as a option. FoMoCo did the same thing, making Mercury redundant, and Chrysler with Plymouth. They literally became carbon copies - nowhere near enough brand differentiation. GM especially. Why did Olds need an SUV? Why did ANY brand besides Chevy and GMC need an SUV? I'd argue that GMC was unnecessary, and has been for a long time. GMC should have targeted medium and HD trucks. You could argue that the Denali was at least unique for a time, until Cadillac whined enough and got trucks, too, making the Denali redundant. Probably the worst example was Cadillac wanting a small car. You know what that got them.
The way they should have done it was to make certain options and features unavailable on "lower" brands. No leather on Chevys, for example. You want leather? Get an Olds or better. Something like that. They didn't ALL need to have a small car, a midsize car, a big car, a minivan, an SUV...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

every multibrand company has issues with this because each brand has someone who's responsible for brand level performance, so they always try to expand in to new segments and spaces to grow volumes... then you of course end up with a million of everything that directly competes or is just lousy badge engineered poo poo. it will be interesting to see if Stellantis' (lol) regional/national brand strategy kinda works or not.

Yeah, that.

IOwnCalculus posted:

One of these days if I ever got so absurdly bored as to do it, I wonder how small each GM brand's product line would look over time if you completely eliminated anything shared between brands - looking for all those spots in the GM venn diagram that don't have any overlap.

Even then the lines get blurry. Case in point, I'd want to eliminate the entire 1967-2002 F-body from both Chevrolet and Pontiac, since in all reality how different is a Chevy 305 from an Oldsmobile 307 when they're both anemic pushrod V8s? But I'd let Chevy keep the C6 and Cadillac keep the XLR since despite being on the same chassis, LS vs Northstar and suspension tuning made for a somewhat different experience.

Good point. I'd add to that with the idea that when GM started eliminating unique engines for each division to be the beginning of the bland rebadge.
While my '70 Cutlass does share it's frame and general shape with the Chevelle, LeMans, and Skylark, it's actually styling is unique, with no shared body panels with any of them, and even only a few glass pieces, for example, shared on a few models. Unique engines except at the very base model (Chevy 235 straight 6,) and unique suspension tuning options. Different interior styling - seat frames may be the same, but all the upholstery is different, as are the dashes.
The last Olds Cutlass was a pathetic rebadge of the already-bland new Chevy Malibu. If that was all Olds could put out, then they deserve to die, but it was mama GM that did it to them. Chevrolet, with the Corvette and trucks, couldn't be allowed to be diminished any amount. Same with Pontiac. At least Pontiac tried to be different and sporty, but even they were slapped down once with the Banshee, and again with the Fiero.

Also, the Olds 307 was a much better engine than the 305. Just sayin'. Did you know all 307s had Quadrajets? No 2-barrels here. The last ones got roller lifters, too. The "VIN 9" LG8 high-output 307 used in the last G-body 442s put out 180 HP and 245 ft. lbs., not bad for the size and day!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Darchangel posted:

At least in the pre-'80s, more or less between Chevy and Buick, or maybe Buick and Cadillac. Around the 80s-90s, they started adding features that used to only be on the "upper" brands to everything, at least as a option.

I think it's a lot earlier than that. The brands were run totally separate for a very, very long time and were only occasionally forced to share stuff like platforms and engines, and then only with their direct siblings. Apocryphally, some of what drove brand confusion was the fact that at some point it was mandated that division presidents drive division product and so the head of Chevrolet isn't gonna be running around in some shitbox.

another part of this is that demand for product line round-outs is driven by dealers. If you're a Buick-Pontiac-Olds dealer in the mid/late 1990s, you're clamoring like hell for SUV product. If you're a Cadillac dealer in the 1980s you're clamoring for a 3-series fighter.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I have been looking for a beater lately and pondering GM. A couple videos and nostalgia for a grand prix gtp company car I drove had me looking at anything with a series II supercharged 3.8. Hoovie was right, the interior quality went down from 1996 to the later versions. I remember looking at buicks/oldsmobiles in the late 80s. They weren’t bad, but not much set a park avenue and an 88 apart.

Did you know buick stopped selling cars in the US? Only a few lovely suvs. Chevy is almost out of lovely cars. Cadillac doesn’t sell a full size sedan in the US anymore. The new escalade is nice but its probably going to cost you $100k. GMC and chevy trucks I don’t understand. Lets wax dip the frames and use the same lovely metal that rots out in 5 years just like we have been since 1968. Ohh, and put the gooseneck/fifth wheel mount rear of the axle, and make the face as fugly as possible. I loved my 2006 2500hd, but its like they aren’t even trying anymore. Belt driven oil pump? Like wheres the common sense gone. Bankrupt again in a decade, and hopefully dissolved this time. They have had too many chances and get less competitive every year.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

rdb posted:

Belt driven oil pump?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

The last cool Olds I can think of is the Aurora I think, it had an OHC V8 in the 90s. They used to be the experimental brand but got super bland by the end.

I agree the 307 wasn't bad but the L69 305 ripped pretty good with 190hp. My buddy had an 84 Monte SS and he blew the 305 on the highway racing a Jetta, 3 speed TH350 with 3.43 gears, oops. He replaced it with the base 350 Goodwrench engine and it seemed slower even with headers put on with it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Ford managed Mercury's brand so poorly that I'd even forgotten that they went belly up a decade ago :golfclap:

rdb posted:

Belt driven oil pump?

Am I loving microwaved or do you mean to tell me that they voluntarily replaced a sprocket for a loving belt, not a chain, on the most essential part of the engine? To what end?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

The Door Frame posted:

Ford managed Mercury's brand so poorly that I'd even forgotten that they went belly up a decade ago :golfclap:

Am I loving microwaved or do you mean to tell me that they voluntarily replaced a sprocket for a loving belt, not a chain, on the most essential part of the engine? To what end?

The 6 cylinder duramax in the 1500. And its got a 150,000 mile interval. And its at the back, and the service procedure calls for removing the transmission to get to it. So its not a driveway job.

GM has slowly devolved into a corporate version of idiocracy.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

rdb posted:

The 6 cylinder duramax in the 1500. And its got a 150,000 mile interval. And its at the back, and the service procedure calls for removing the transmission to get to it. So its not a driveway job.

GM has slowly devolved into a corporate version of idiocracy.

Oh that's abundantly clear, but what are they trying to accomplish with that decision?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

shy boy from chess club posted:

The last cool Olds I can think of is the Aurora I think, it had an OHC V8 in the 90s. They used to be the experimental brand but got super bland by the end.

I agree the 307 wasn't bad but the L69 305 ripped pretty good with 190hp. My buddy had an 84 Monte SS and he blew the 305 on the highway racing a Jetta, 3 speed TH350 with 3.43 gears, oops. He replaced it with the base 350 Goodwrench engine and it seemed slower even with headers put on with it.

God I wanted one of those so bad when I was 16. There is one for sale locally in mint condition with less than 20k miles but they want $11k. It has the original window sticker and it was $39k in 1997. The other ones for sale have 200k+ on the clock and look trashed. Surprised they made that far given the northstar under the hood.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

The Door Frame posted:

Oh that's abundantly clear, but what are they trying to accomplish with that decision?

Its quieter, cheaper, only has to make it out of the 36,000 mile warranty, easier to package at the back with the rest of the timing components. I saw an interview with one of the engineers responsible trying to defend it. I don’t think it accomplished anything other than killing sales once people found out.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

rdb posted:

Its quieter, cheaper, only has to make it out of the 36,000 mile warranty, easier to package at the back with the rest of the timing components. I saw an interview with one of the engineers responsible trying to defend it. I don’t think it accomplished anything other than killing sales once people found out.

I thought that maybe they were chasing frictional losses or some crazy idea for power and efficiency, but Christ

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Watching a bunch of reddit poo poo posters literally destroy a short seller hedge fund is absolutly amazing. I dont get half of the mechanisms they are managing to do this but seeing short sellers take an absolute beating is incredible. They cost the hedge fund 5 BILLION already gently caress what the hell

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Hahahaha yeah, allegedly if it opens tomorrow with GME over 175 the hedge fund dies.

This is like watching goonswarm kill the first Titan in EVE. Except with like... REAL ELEVEN-DIGIT FINANCIAL IMPACTS.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I bought some shares when it was pocket money. It’s hilarious.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

kastein posted:

Hahahaha yeah, allegedly if it opens tomorrow with GME over 175 the hedge fund dies.

This is like watching goonswarm kill the first Titan in EVE. Except with like... REAL ELEVEN-DIGIT FINANCIAL IMPACTS.

And it's not even just limited to GME too - AMC / Blackberry are also targets of the short squeeze.

I did not have Reddit attacking rampant capitalism on my 2021 FAFO bingo card at all

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Watching a bunch of reddit poo poo posters literally destroy a short seller hedge fund is absolutly amazing. I dont get half of the mechanisms they are managing to do this but seeing short sellers take an absolute beating is incredible. They cost the hedge fund 5 BILLION already gently caress what the hell

I know almost nothing about investments but the general gist of what they're doing was explained to me and I'm loving every second of it.

My father has a very healthy stock portfolio, does a lot with options? Anyways, he's all pissed off about the Gamestop and it's a little funny to read his mad texts about internet terrorism.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

kastein posted:

Godspeed you crazy diamonds. gently caress hedge funds and especially short sellers

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

A rare moment where we need to give Reddit a W, but bravo, they have earned it and good for those that are making money off of it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Counterpoint on the Duramax 3.0 timing belt: how many people are going to do that themselves? I would wager it's faster to get the transmission out than it is to strip off the entire accessory drive, especially for a dealership with a lift. Hell, possibly even for a driveway mechanic if you've got a transmission jack.

I'm almost certainly going to pay a shop to do the timing belt on my Duramax 2.8 when that time comes, because there's a load of special tools required to get it all timed correctly.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah re: Gamestop, the hedge fund boys are Super Mad, because it's totally unfair when it's the masses loving 5 rich guys. The system is specifically set up to make it so the 5 rich guys gently caress the masses, dammit!

Maybe don't short 120% of a company's available stock you loving morons.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I know almost nothing about investments but the general gist of what they're doing was explained to me and I'm loving every second of it.

My father has a very healthy stock portfolio, does a lot with options? Anyways, he's all pissed off about the Gamestop and it's a little funny to read his mad texts about internet terrorism.

The whole short selling mechanism seem shady as gently caress to start with and I know how short selling hedge funds target vunerable companies with bearish investor reports so TBH short sellers getting shanked seems to be poetic justice.

The whole process Reddit came up as I understand seems to be a financial hack that causes a short squeeze that sets up a feedback loop and puts the short seller in an unwinnable senario they cant escape from except by realising huge losses....? IDK, it's all hazy and I dont understand much about short selling other than it's immoral as gently caress.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The whole process Reddit came up as I understand seems to be a financial hack that causes a short squeeze that sets up a feedback loop and puts the short seller in an unwinnable senario they cant escape from except by realising huge losses....? IDK, it's all hazy and I dont understand much about short selling other than it's immoral as gently caress.
You can't short a stock without borrowing the shares, say from a bank (think of it as selling shares you don't own). As the share price rises you owe more and more, thus making you an increasingly lovely credit risk to the bank. The bank gives you an ultimatum, forcing you to cover your short (buy back the shares you previously sold that you didn't own) if the share price rises above a certain theshold. Which would have the effect of locking in your loss at that price threshold, thus causing you to lose a poo poo ton of money. If you can't afford it you go bk. There are other ways to short something by using derivatives, but this is the vanilla way

The actual mechanics of a short squeeze are not new at all and hedge funds can and do do it to one another. Crowdsourcing a short squeeze, though, that's freaking awesome

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

got off on a technicality posted:

You can't short a stock without borrowing the shares, say from a bank (think of it as selling shares you don't own). As the share price rises you owe more and more, thus making you an increasingly lovely credit risk to the bank. The bank gives you an ultimatum, forcing you to cover your short (buy back the shares you previously sold that you didn't own) if the share price rises above a certain theshold. Which would have the effect of locking in your loss at that price threshold, thus causing you to lose a poo poo ton of money. If you can't afford it you go bk. There are other ways to short something by using derivatives, but this is the vanilla way

The actual mechanics of a short squeeze are not new at all and hedge funds can and do do it to one another. Crowdsourcing a short squeeze, though, that's freaking awesome

So it's a loan where the recipient doesn't own the collateral, based on an educated guess, and contingent on theoretically being able to buy the collateral? Where does the bank profit, or are they gambling too?
How can you borrow more than 100% of a stock?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

So it's a loan where the recipient doesn't own the collateral, based on an educated guess? Where does the bank profit, or are they gambling too?

They get a fee every time you trade, so they don't care if you're buying or selling.

The stock they let you sell is a loan that you have to pay back by a certain date. By that date you must make a trade to rebuy the stock and return it. If the stock has gone down in price, you can pocket the difference. If it's gone up, you eat the difference.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
^ and that's why short trading can get you in a lot of trouble - unlike normal trading where worst case you lose 100% of what you paid... With short trading, you can theoretically have infinite losses because the price could have gone to any value.

If they sold short at $5 and it goes to $300 by the time they have to close out their deals, they lose $295 on their $5 deal.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

got off on a technicality posted:

(think of it as selling shares you don't own)

When you put it that way it's some serious bullshit it's even allowed in the first place. And no wonder there's a industry based on making BS financial reports specifically to force share prices down.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I see this as a solid argument that forced redistribution of wealth can work as intended.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's even more insane because the Robinhood app has enabled virtual amateurs at this to create WILD amounts of extremely risked leverage on minimal investments, there's been more than one suicide due to someone putting $2000 in and then owing $500k due to the vagaries of the market (plus the mindbending amount of silly options/calls/puts people can do without any knowledge or actual collateral on top of that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Shorting is like racing for pinks in a u-haul silverado but betting against yourself... and these redditors flooded the air with nitrous expecting the hedge to both win and throw a rod so they both lose their bet and have a very interesting financial conversation with u-haul

(edited to make the dumb analogy work)

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 27, 2021