Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Electric Phantasm posted:

Okay how did the Subway dudes get 2nd and 3rd?

They were big in BL doujins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

They’re basically twin attendants, fujoshi love that kind of poo poo

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm just surprised people know they exist, I always thought being one of the Battle Whatever Leaders meant being obscure, but if they were popular in fanworks it makes a bit more sense.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Interesting that for gen 5 and 7 the most popular character is the focal point of the story then Gen 8...is Raihan

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Interesting that for gen 5 and 7 the most popular character is the focal point of the story then Gen 8...is Raihan

Personally I've would've thought Piers would rank up there both for hotness and the fact he's the gym leader who helps you out most but---Raihian do be that fine.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Yaoi

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

No Milo or Melony or Mustard on that list makes me sad.

Vinylshadow posted:

I hope we get a region where the gym/E4/Champion are based around themes rather than types

Give me a proper farm leader with Mudsdale, Rapidash, Stoutland, Dubwool, Tauros, and Miltank, then give them a wide range of move types for coverage

Replace Mudsdale with Gogoat and you’ve got a deal.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

nintendo dream sword/shield character popularity poll. the blue/pink numbers indicate the gender breakdown of the voters. raihan getting number 1 with a 5% male/95% female ratio is hilarious.

cant believe avery didnt finish in the top 3 since terrible fashion sense appears to be the most important criteria

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's because he's dating Leon.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lmao, I finally decide to go to the Pokemon Center website today of all days to get Valentine's Day gift ideas and the site is down because they dropped some Pikachu skateboard.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The Golux posted:

I think you can talk about the TCG here?

I'll talk about the TCG! I found it had an online client last year so I installed it and finally tried the game I remember seeing 20 years ago in stores back when I played MTG. It's actually pretty fun! Fairly simple mechanics with a shitload of tutoring effects, but the games play out fast. The one thing I don't like is how a few of the coin flip effects are 'viable' enough to create really obnoxious decks around, like the one-prize Dragapult.

I bought a few batches of codes online so I could make some net decks that interested me, which initally consisted of a few different decks with Mewtwo & Mew, my favourite card. I typically prefer control archetypes, which it seems like the Pokemon TCG dabbles in every now and then but struggles to balance properly (they errata'd a few cards from a mill deck that was becoming too popular, which was good because that's not at all the kind of control I enjoy playing as or against).

I've played the game off and on for the last year or so to satisfy my online card game itch, usually when the shine from the latest Hearthstone expansion wears off, which reminds me, I'm probably due for a revisit soon. When I first started playing I spent a lot of time trying to make sense of the card pool, standard format, rotations and stuff, and I was surprised at how prolific their release schedule was; they must release more cards per year than any other game. And for a game that's seemingly still insanely popular, I too was surprised there was no actual thread for it here on SA in Traditional Games.

Anyway, it was fun discovering all that stuff as Pokemon was something I'd always been aware of peripherally but never really looked into. Sword & Shield was my first Pokemon game, and since I'm here I'll ask something I was wondering during my first playthrough of that game. In the Pokemon universe there are no actual animals, right? So, those sausages I cooked to feed my team... what exactly were they made of?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Y'know....looking back on some the concept art for legendaries for Gen 4....I'd be pretty psyched if they threw out an alternate form where Darkrai had some legs visible. I love that edgy emo boi no mistake, but drat if the design doesn't feel quite complete for me. And hell give Cresseila some proper wings too poor thing looks like a plucked chicken.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Flopsy posted:

Y'know....looking back on some the concept art for legendaries for Gen 4....I'd be pretty psyched if they threw out an alternate form where Darkrai had some legs visible. I love that edgy emo boi no mistake, but drat if the design doesn't feel quite complete for me. And hell give Cresseila some proper wings too poor thing looks like a plucked chicken.

Wish granted.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lorak posted:

Wish granted.

*finger on Mankey's paw curls*

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Check out his 3d model

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

*finger on Mankey's paw curls*

:tinfoil:

El Burbo posted:

Check out his 3d model

That an in game model or is it an edit? Cuz' I've never seen that and I have two of my own.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

El Burbo posted:

Check out his 3d model

Proto-Calyrex

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gen 7 Dream poll, for comparison:

Bonus gen 5 poll from somewhere else:

Hau and Kiawe both ought to be a lot higher than that.

Also Cheren - her eyes are on her face dude

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Out of curiosity is sheer force a better ability to have on mawile than intimidate since mega evolution is off the table? I have a competitive one I bred a while back but without mega evolution she's on the back burner now. Sheer force + Life orb is pretty potent.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Flopsy posted:

Out of curiosity is sheer force a better ability to have on mawile than intimidate since mega evolution is off the table? I have a competitive one I bred a while back but without mega evolution she's on the back burner now. Sheer force + Life orb is pretty potent.

I have been using a Mawile on my team since pre-megas. And yeah, you can basically stack its attacks to use Sheer Force and an orb. It's the Mega form before they existed, and now again that they're gone.

Intimidate is better if you plan to keep switching it a ton. But you probably shouldn't, since 2 swords dances will let it 1hko alot of things.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Hrist posted:

I have been using a Mawile on my team since pre-megas. And yeah, you can basically stack its attacks to use Sheer Force and an orb. It's the Mega form before they existed, and now again that they're gone.

Intimidate is better if you plan to keep switching it a ton. But you probably shouldn't, since 2 swords dances will let it 1hko alot of things.

Will it matter in the long run if they bring mega stones back or is it worth grinding 200 dynite ore for? Cuz' I'll do it, I just don't want to look back at the effort and go "My god it was all for nothing"

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Flopsy posted:

Will it matter in the long run if they bring mega stones back or is it worth grinding 200 dynite ore for? Cuz' I'll do it, I just don't want to look back at the effort and go "My god it was all for nothing"

I really doubt they'd bring megas back, personally. But if you need a sheer force Mawile, I probably have some spares. They're all in Ultra balls, and I don't know if I have spares with sheer force for both genders or not. If either of those things matter to you. But I can trade you one. I don't know the IVs on them, but they're probably between 4-6. I have to check.

edit: I probably have some with 4-5 IVs of every ability. So just let me know which you'd rather have.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Hrist posted:

I really doubt they'd bring megas back, personally. But if you need a sheer force Mawile, I probably have some spares. They're all in Ultra balls, and I don't know if I have spares with sheer force for both genders or not. If either of those things matter to you. But I can trade you one. I don't know the IVs on them, but they're probably between 4-6. I have to check.

edit: I probably have some with 4-5 IVs of every ability. So just let me know which you'd rather have.

Oh no I'm willing to grind some ore for her. I hand bred this one and since I have the option of fixing the issue I'd rather grind than breed a brand new one. But thank you for the offer I appreciate it! ;)

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Anyone who has not tried running around the Crown Tundra or Isle of Armor with a Pheromosa in their first slot is missing out. That is all. I keep running into poo poo because I keep turning the camera around to watch her chasing me down.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Diet Poison posted:

Anyone who has not tried running around the Crown Tundra or Isle of Armor with a Pheromosa in their first slot is missing out. That is all. I keep running into poo poo because I keep turning the camera around to watch her chasing me down.

Ya'll know you're naruto running, right!?

I'm still shocked Lusamine's partner ultra beast wasn't loving Pheromosa.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

AlternateNu posted:

I'm partial to the theory that the "first draft" of SM when it still had gyms and everything was gonna have the Ultra Beasts all be alternate universe versions of the characters or at least paired to them in some way. They incorporated Nihilego looking like Lillie, but there's also Phermosa/Lusamine, Xurkitree/Guzma, Buzzswole/Masked Royal.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

AlternateNu posted:

I still remember all the rumors that most of the important characters like Lillie, Lusamine and Guzma were secretly Ultra Beasts in disguise. Then it turned out that Lillie only resembled Nihilego (or UB Symbiont at the time) due to Lusamine's obsession with the creature.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Ya'll know you're naruto running, right!?

Funnily enough Pheromosa is the mildest mannered of the ultra beasts. So it would've been a bit funny for her to be obsessed with a pretty roach that runs super fast and obsessive compulsively grooms itself.

Just making a big intimidating speech while the Pheromosa is in the background doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-bCDzyqhkY

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
so, something that might be interesting, the magazine tv-kun's cover leaked

And there's a Lucario there, with a megastone. Most likely Ash's. Full magazine will probably leak within 24 hours from now and give more information on that, but hey, Ash might finally do mega evolution. I won't go "MEGAS ARE BACK" for sure, but I'm not in the "megas and z-moves are dead forever" camp anymore.

e: actually the armband is the exact same one Korrina's Lucario has, so probably not Ash's. They would totally give Ash's Lucario's mega armband a different design.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 27, 2021

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I can't believe Ash is going to join a Super Sentai team.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I can't believe I never noticed the Lillie > Nihilego visual appearance before.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I can't believe I never noticed the Lillie > Nihilego visual appearance before.

Can't help but feel like there was a dropped plot point concerning certain characters and the Ultra Beasts. Like nintendo considered it, "went nah too dark" and this is what they went with instead.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Is there a reason Gladion got left out, then? Like I'd liken Buzzwole closer to the Masked Royal than anything.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lusamine only started getting obsessed with Ultra Beasts after Gladion stole Null away so she wouldn't have been able to force him to dress up.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

z-moves were pretty dumb

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

ApplesandOranges posted:

Is there a reason Gladion got left out, then? Like I'd liken Buzzwole closer to the Masked Royal than anything.

gladion is silvally

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

im guzzlord

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Does a gigantamax meowth double rewards from den battles?

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Flopsy posted:

Does a gigantamax meowth double rewards from den battles?

Nope, just awards money in the same way the move Pay Day does, just multiplied. So I don't know if you'd even get the money from a raid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Plasbad posted:

Nope, just awards money in the same way the move Pay Day does, just multiplied. So I don't know if you'd even get the money from a raid.

Ah. Oh well.