Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

bus hustler posted:

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2021/01/svr-attacks-on-microsoft-365.html

When the FBI is involved it is one level above my paygrade so I dont really have any ~super deep~ insider info. I'm but the deputy security officer for my unit & central runs the O365 tenant anyway :clint:

but uhhhh remember the podesta emails?? the most innocuous poo poo started pizzagate
Why in the absolute shitfuck is golden SAML even a possibility?!
This is "Richard Stallman using and recommending use of blank or user as password at MIT" levels of dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Why in the absolute shitfuck is golden SAML even a possibility?!
This is "Richard Stallman using and recommending use of blank or user as password at MIT" levels of dumb.

Well, trying to counter the eventuality that an attacker manages to obtain the private keys needed to do the IdP signing in the first place is a bit of a challenge. At that point you basically are the IdP in a lot of senses.

I mean, off the top of my head there doesn't seem to be any immediately obvious way to defeat such an attack other than removing the ability to export keys from the AD FS, which has its own set of issues. Or completely rewriting SAML to not allow tokens to be passed from clients, I suppose, but that again brings a whole host of issues.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I long for the day sites and services require 2FA at account creation, but only via Authy or Bitwarden or similar, because lord SMS 2FA is stupid because of how easy it is to socially engineer or directly hack.

At least in my neck of the woods replacing a SIM requires valid ID but it's exploitable by smooth talking in some cases, or corruption in general...

Like how there was a scandal with our equivalent of the DMV where one department had a rascal that gave out drivers licenses to whomever willing to pay for it, forging test results etc.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Hey guys, I made a thread over in IYG that shares some similarities with the topics discussed in here if anyone wanted to talk privacy.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 22, 2021

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

F4rt5 posted:

I long for the day sites and services require 2FA at account creation, but only via Authy or Bitwarden or similar, because lord SMS 2FA is stupid because of how easy it is to socially engineer or directly hack.

At least in my neck of the woods replacing a SIM requires valid ID but it's exploitable by smooth talking in some cases, or corruption in general...

Like how there was a scandal with our equivalent of the DMV where one department had a rascal that gave out drivers licenses to whomever willing to pay for it, forging test results etc.

Authy accounts are tied to a phone number :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Biowarfare posted:

Authy accounts are tied to a phone number :(

Yeah but you can also change that

https://support.authy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001953247-Phone-change-process-for-Authy-and-how-long-it-takes

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

cage-free egghead posted:

Hey guys, I made a thread over in IYG that shares some similarities with the topics discussed in here if anyone wanted to talk privacy.

why did you post a link to an unrelated FYAD thread

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So I wandered into the diarrhea filled wading pool that is HSM configuration, key management, cardholder ceremonies, and process/procedures and I think taking my own life is an acceptable alternative right about now.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

why did you post a link to an unrelated FYAD thread

lmao whoops. I deleted a digit when I pasted my link apparently

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Martytoof posted:

cardholder ceremonies,

Uhh what?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sorry it's the dumb term that someone here coined for basically any time you need to bring cardholders together to do anything.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

cage-free egghead posted:

lmao whoops. I deleted a digit when I pasted my link apparently

Okay, thank you for clarifying! :3:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Tangentially related... Youtube apparently changed their content rules and is disallowing content related to hacking, and seemed to have banned a bunch of security minded channels (and others showing off software workarounds), because rules were applied retroactively, and thus strikes rack up with the speed of light. The very least videos are being deleted.

--edit: A large 13-year old German channel got banned, and some of the flagged videos were about installing VPNs and enabling the new start menu in Windows 10. Machine learning, gently caress yea!

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 22, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Combat Pretzel posted:

Tangentially related... Youtube apparently changed their content rules and is disallowing content related to hacking, and seemed to have banned a bunch of security minded channels (and others showing off software workarounds), because rules were applied retroactively, and thus strikes rack up with the speed of light. The very least videos are being deleted.

--edit: A large 13-year old German channel got banned, and some of the flagged videos were about installing VPNs and enabling the new start menu in Windows 10. Machine learning, gently caress yea!

That's gonna suck, there's a lot of good learning content on Youtube.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I worked at a medical device manufacturer, and even after the Sunshine Act, our sales people were all sorts of shady. Salespeople were first hired on the basis of how good looking they were, male or female.

Somehow someway the company got away with doing "trainings" at fancy golf resorts. So long as the doctors attended what amounted to a 1hr sales pitch/demo they could play golf and eat free meals.

Not really infosec related, but I was just at the doctors office and a sales rep for tylenol was arguing with my doctor in the waiting room, claiming that you can take 4000mg of tylenol a day, and the doctor was like “absolutely not, and do not say that in front of my patients.”

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Head Bee Guy posted:

Not really infosec related, but I was just at the doctors office and a sales rep for tylenol was arguing with my doctor in the waiting room, claiming that you can take 4000mg of tylenol a day, and the doctor was like “absolutely not, and do not say that in front of my patients.”

It is literally what the side of the bottle says

E: technically it says “do not exceed 4000mg”

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The Fool posted:

It is literally what the side of the bottle says

E: technically it says “do not exceed 4000mg”

"I recommend that we fire all of our employee's and do not hire any more as they are all security risks"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I try to keep it under 1000, that's what they recommend for pregnant women and I figure that's probably a safe point for people without significantly compromised livers?

:shrug:

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Unrelated to the o365 thing business marches on - we bought a new medical clinic from another business unit within the same org (dont ask) and when they shut down forever they left a few computers logged into windows and their electronic medical record :banjo:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I think listening to the guy who studied how the body works is safer than listening to the guy who's selling the drug, or even the bottle made by the company selling the drug (and bribing the supposed oversight).

Sort of like how you trust the security expert who found a flaw in a piece of software and not the vendor who insists it's perfectly safe.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

We had a couple of salespeople who were actually both good looking and incredibly knowledgeable about the product in a very niche way so that they could actually provide advice on how to use the product to a degree. Like they knew the device really well and the doctor knew medicine well and they could bounce ideas off of each other, but that was rare, and they tended to be higher up sales management types that had been promoted a few times.

On topic. I've been playing around with Canary Tokens for a while, I've setup free tokens for a past employer and found them really beneficial. Trying to talk my current company into buying the paid version. Has anyone here used Thinkist Canary paid token software before?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

taking 4000mg in one day is not at all the same as taking 4000mg per day

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How about about sending a login link to their email that's a "click here" so they can't easily copy and paste it, then show them a bunch of pictures (blue dolphin, brown dog, etc.) and make them choose "their" picture. Maybe put a CAPTCHA before they can get an email link sent to them if you want to cut down on people getting spammed with links.

Teaching people “click blind links in email then enter credentials” makes me uncomfortable, I have to say.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Head Bee Guy posted:

The dosing window between “barely effective” and “toxic” is so small for Tylenol that it wouldn’t make it through modern drug approval due to inadvertent overdose risk, as I understand it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Teaching people “click blind links in email then enter credentials” makes me uncomfortable, I have to say.

Well it wasn't entering credentials it was picking their picture, but yeah. Can't really be picky when your options are so, ah... limited.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Combat Pretzel posted:

If the Lockpicking Lawyer gets axed, it’s war.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Sonicwall being hacked by a zero day in their own VPN software is :perfect:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Linux world never gets to make fun of Windows ever again.

https://blog.qualys.com/vulnerabilities-research/2021/01/26/cve-2021-3156-heap-based-buffer-overflow-in-sudo-baron-samedit

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Palo Alto detected the Solarwinds breach a while before they attacked Fireeye, but it turns out Palo Alto missed the critical parts....which they then tried to cover up

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomas...sh=48516dc37f17

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This positively owns.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nah, there's going to be a new fun bug in Windows any day now.

No matter how much pair programming, code review, static analysis, automated fuzzing, and automated code sanitization you do, it won't be enough.

Just look at FreeBSD; all of those are practiced, the source code is "only" ~13 million lines, and yet there's inevitably more fun things like this to find.

For comparison, the Linux kernel itself is over 20 million lines (and that ignores all the userland code that makes up the libraries and utilities in a typical Linux distribution, because as an example Debian is ~60 million lines if you exclude the kernel), while Windows is estimated to be over 100 million lines.

The sudo project is ~150k lines of code.

Assuming a standard developer makes one bug per 100 lines of code, a good developer makes one bug per 1000 lines of code, and the ratio being 100 standard developers to 1 good developers, that leaves the various examples with somewhere on the order of 130k bugs for FreeBSD, 250k bugs for the Linux kernel, 600k bugs for Debian, over a million bugs for Windows, and ~1500 for sudo.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It was a joke, BSD. :3:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It was a joke, BSD. :3:
I know.
I was just pointing out there's more fun to be had in the future.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
All computers and all operating systems are bad, especially your favorite one.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CommieGIR posted:

you take that back. templeos is holy and pure

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Is this the same/related privilege escalation bug found in Ubuntu 20.04 in late 2020?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

My punch cards are flawless how dare you! So is my diesel powered warehouse sized computer running Fortran! Like a huge rear end Oldsmobile, insanely unwieldy, and........eats my punch cards...........sometimes........ :colbert:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Turns out only using the root account wins again :smugdog:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Can we talk more about how "Baron Samedit" is a great goddamn name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Can we talk more about how "Baron Samedit" is a great goddamn name?

Well, I mean, Baron Samedi (Baron Saturday to his friends) is a literal Haitian Voodoo religious icon