Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Not being able to work it out was really eating her up

It was all Wight in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

sebmojo posted:

Don't confuse not caring with not knowing

E: idk, it was less the cleverness and more the deadpan. I think he was sort of shocked that redcloak had the balls.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Xykon has shown that level of cleverness even back in Start of Darkness and I'm sure there's been other times, he's just lazy.
Pretty much. The situation doesn't yet demand the level of effort and chaos that pushing the issue would cause, and if that means Xykon can wait to deal with it until later, he will.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Xykon's given literally no evidence that he knows any of the details about what Redcloak has done. He wanted Tsukiko to cut Redcloak out of the deal, and maybe he doesn't buy Redcloak's story that she just went crazy raiding Redcloak's quarters, but that just means that Xykon knows that Redcloak knows what Xykon was planning. Or maybe he knows that Redcloak values his part in the scheme enough to kill Xykon's favorite new pet in retaliation for the plot.

Maybe Tsukiko ran her misgivings about Xykon's half of the spell by him before deciding to commit suicide by goblin, but that seems unlikely, and even if she did, Xykon doesn't stress the nerd stuff about magic.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah but Xykon is bright enough to know that Redcloak considers him intimical to his stated goal of better lives for goblins. Xykon spends of bunch of his time killing goblins for no reason other than boredom and guess what will get a lot worse should he win? He doesn't need to know the specifics of the betrayal to know that it is planned.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

sebmojo posted:

Don't confuse not caring with not knowing

E: idk, it was less the cleverness and more the deadpan. I think he was sort of shocked that redcloak had the balls.
As much as I don't think Xykon respects him, I also think Xykon believes Redcloak will do whatever is necessary to complete his goal. He's seen how far he'll go

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think Xykon has some respect for Redcloak, it just varies. When it seemed like Xykon might die for real by the Sapphire Guard Xykon actually seemed to genuinely appreciate Redcloak's presence there with him.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

ConfusedUs posted:

More specifically, the knowledge of the ritual is granted by the red cloak itself. Put it on, say, Jirix, and he would know it instead.

Too risky. Xykon doesn't know how the inheritance of the crimson mantle works, and if he kills Redcloak and the goblin he puts it on next doesn't become the next high priest, the Plan's shot. Way easier for him to bet on beating Redcloak in a magical duel after the ritual, especially since he has MitD.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Tsukiko's irrelevant, Xykon put safeguards in place against Redcloak back in Start of Darkness. he's always known it might end up coming to blows

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SlothfulCobra posted:

Xykon's given literally no evidence that he knows any of the details about what Redcloak has done. He wanted Tsukiko to cut Redcloak out of the deal, and maybe he doesn't buy Redcloak's story that she just went crazy raiding Redcloak's quarters, but that just means that Xykon knows that Redcloak knows what Xykon was planning. Or maybe he knows that Redcloak values his part in the scheme enough to kill Xykon's favorite new pet in retaliation for the plot.

Maybe Tsukiko ran her misgivings about Xykon's half of the spell by him before deciding to commit suicide by goblin, but that seems unlikely, and even if she did, Xykon doesn't stress the nerd stuff about magic.

he knows that it's important enough for redcloak to drop his cover, and that whatever tsukiko found is enough for xykon to kill him, that's plenty to ruminate on.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's a reason why Xykon attempted to put his phylactery in his astral fortress rather than give it back to Redcloak.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Omobono posted:

Possibly? They could have or find a way to cast Legally Distinct from Mordenkainen's Disjunction, or Xykon could research Xykon's Epic Disjunction, or something.
The details don't really matter, since if a spellcaster is aware of a problem and he's not under immediate time pressure, he's gonna find a way to solve the problem in short order. There's nothing that either the Wizard/Sorcerer or the Cleric/Druid spell list can't solve.

Of course, the setup here means spellcasters can't really become aware of the problem that needs solving. Once Team Evil finally realizes that the trap is there, it'll be gone in two pages top.

It seems like it'd be weird for Xykon to have Disjunction since he already knows and frequently (relatively speaking) uses Superb Dispelling. Kinda redundant.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

It seems like it'd be weird for Xykon to have Disjunction since he already knows and frequently (relatively speaking) uses Superb Dispelling. Kinda redundant.
He didn’t have Superb Dispelling when it was time to learn his 9th level spells, though. Who knows if he got a chance to retrain it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Disjunction in 3.5e iirc does nasty things to magic items so I think usually the DM refrains from introducing it as long as the players also refrain. V using it to break through a anti-magic field notwithstanding I can imagine Xykon not having it because it kinda skews how an encounter can go.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PMush Perfect posted:

He didn’t have Superb Dispelling when it was time to learn his 9th level spells, though. Who knows if he got a chance to retrain it.

Despite his carefree appearence we know he spends a lot of effort staying relatively optimal and spends the full eight hours daily crafting items to give himself an advantage, apparently, so he'd probably have planned well.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 26, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
People are overestimating how much Xykon knows about the actual Plan. He's suspicious, but his real irritation with Redcloak stems from the loving about in Gobbotopia and nearly getting his phylactery destroyed.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm under the impression OotS sorcerers don't pick their spells themselves. I can't remember something to cite in support of that though.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

habeasdorkus posted:

People are overestimating how much Xykon knows about the actual Plan. He's suspicious, but his real irritation with Redcloak stems from the loving about in Gobbotopia and nearly getting his phylactery destroyed.

Start of darkness has made it clear that Xykon isn't dumb and unaware of plots against him, he doesn't care until it directly causes him trouble. He's more likely to respond to someone thinking they're better than he is than to someone who intends to literally stab him in the back.

It's a great characterization because it makes him a bit inscrutable without being either a pointlessly mysterious or an uncanny always-one-step-ahead mastermind. It gives Rich narrative flexibility without descending into tropes.

To me it reads as "Why bother trying to predict and outmaneuver everyone when you can just use overwhelming force and disproportionate response, which helps keep the other minions in line anyways?" A logical extension of power is power; all you need is to be the biggest, baddest dude, and the rest will take care of itself.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That also means that Xykon is very good at dealing with short term threats but he's completely unprepared for someone playing a long game against him.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

ultrafilter posted:

That also means that Xykon is very good at dealing with short term threats but he's completely unprepared for someone playing a long game against him.

He spends a lot of time accumulating a lot of power, that leaves him a lot more prepared than others might be.

The only thing he has completely missed and can't really fix via having more power or making some last minute adjustments is the phylactory being a decoy.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

GlyphGryph posted:

He spends a lot of time accumulating a lot of power, that leaves him a lot more prepared than others might be.

The only thing he has completely missed and can't really fix via having more power or making some last minute adjustments is the phylactory being a decoy.

Well that and he's using a bigger and badder force than him as a weapon. Which is an act that exactly requires redcloak's style of finesse.

I don't think Xykon has ever even once, gone against an opponent actually stronger than him.

And in spite of that, he's lost several important conflicts.
*An unspecified band of plucky adventurers
*Some bacteria
*A disarmed fighter
*A prisoner with no gear or class abilities borrowing a friend's sword
*A bird.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ikanreed posted:

I don't think Xykon has ever even once, gone against an opponent actually stronger than him.

He does a couple times in Start of Darkness. By the time the comic rolls around, though, he's probably one of, if not the strongest character in the world, except maybe Serini (if she's still alive.)

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

He does a couple times in Start of Darkness. By the time the comic rolls around, though, he's probably one of, if not the strongest character in the world, except maybe Serini (if she's still alive.)

Yeah, Dorukan was roughly even with him in that prequel fight.

I'm sure most of the people in Tarquin's party would also give him some trouble, and V's master is implied to be one of those wizards that are high enough level to basically break reality over their knee.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

AnoHito posted:

Yeah, Dorukan was roughly even with him in that prequel fight.

I'm sure most of the people in Tarquin's party would also give him some trouble, and V's master is implied to be one of those wizards that are high enough level to basically break reality over their knee.

You know - if V, back when he was disclosing his fiend adventure to Roy, had mentioned that his master could have one-shot an ancient black dragon without much effort, Roy would have absolutely insisted to have Durkon send him a Sending asking him to come join them to save the world. And V would never have refused since his downfall came from being too proud to do exactly that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

You know - if V, back when he was disclosing his fiend adventure to Roy, had mentioned that his master could have one-shot an ancient black dragon without much effort, Roy would have absolutely insisted to have Durkon send him a Sending asking him to come join them to save the world. And V would never have refused since his downfall came from being too proud to do exactly that.

Didn't Rich say that there's a character who'd only appeared in one panel who's going to become important?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

PMush Perfect posted:

Didn't Rich say that there's a character who'd only appeared in one panel who's going to become important?

Two panels for Aarindarius.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0630.html
https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0634.html

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

He also appeared in one of the prequel books.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Xykon's flaw is that he tends to focus on one thing at the expense of awareness of what's going on around him. When he's focusing on the right thing that works out well for him, when he focuses on the wrong thing (where he gets distracted during... both fights in Azure city) things either go bad for him or he doesn't get what he wants. That I presume will be how Rich writes his downfall.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
Has anyone ever used Xykon as a campaign villain for their own RPG, or otherwise added a dash of Oots to their games?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Has anyone ever used Xykon as a campaign villain for their own RPG, or otherwise added a dash of Oots to their games?

I tried to recreate him in City of Heroes.

(he was a villain)

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

:siren:https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1224.html:siren:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Rich is more than okay!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I can't come up with an in universe or d&dish meaning for yellow fog.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The party having a well thought out strategy is the least D&D thing Rich ever put into the comic.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ikanreed posted:

Some rogue element of the northern pantheon? Other than Hel, that is

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

ikanreed posted:

Piss mist

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Dare you enter this magical realm?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

It's actually smoke from delectable halfling cooking. You see the mystery kidnappers are Serini and her confederates and furthermore

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I'm wondering if it's something like Mind Fog? Seems like something that mashes a Will save would be a useful thing to hit Paladins with if you're planning to interrogate them.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
it's cloudkill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Mordenkainen's Ominous Ambience