Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Gamestop is currently a Fortune 400 company, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They better not gently caress with my VTSAX.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

withak posted:

They better not gently caress with my VTSAX.

It’s starting to creep...

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo, selling now.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

withak posted:

I take it back: Reddit is ok sometimes.

Hell, I'd throw a couple grand towards a meme on principle if it means some hedge fund rear end in a top hat or their client has to eat poo poo. Good luck regulating that, SEC!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Has anyone talked to GameStop management?

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

SpartanIvy posted:

They're probably too busy figuring out how to sell their own shares.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

SpartanIvy posted:

I would assume they are too busy shoveling shares out the door.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This is basically a goon project tier mass trolling

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Volmarias posted:

Buying Wholesale Melons: I'm out of my gourd after hearing the shipment from Argentina arrived early

Splicer posted:

YOU HAVE COME TO A WORLD CALLED GOURD *whipcrack*

Buying Wholesale Melons: You have come to world called Gourd

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

From reddit's AITA

quote:

AITA for telling my boyfriend he can't put being Reddit mod on his resume?

We're both 18. I know this sounds like a joke, but honestly it's not.

He wants to get his resume prepared during quarantine. This is going to be his first job. I haven't had a job before either, but I'm good with English so I offered to read it. Keep in mind, because I haven't had a job before, I could be wrong about this.

My boyfriend is a mod on two popular subs. He decided to put it on his resume. I thought it was a joke, but he told me it wasn't. He said it shows he can "take a leadership role." This made me think he was joking again, but he says he filters a lot of content and he thinks he should get some kind of credit for it. I told him nobody would take that seriously, and he said that it's the closest he's gotten to a managerial position lol.

He says my laughing was rude, and I told him I genuinely didn't mean to hurt his feelings, but he hasn't texted me back or answered my calls since. Was I too harsh? Was I straight-up wrong about this? AITA?

Now if only I could leverage being IK on a dead comedy forum into cash money.

Predictably, the first reply is full of complete poo poo.

quote:

NAH, if only because putting "Reddit Mod" on your resume kind of comes across as silly right off the bat. That said, I think depending on the job, he could absolutely put something perhaps in different words.

Just did a quick google search and suggestions include putting "Community Management" or "Community Coordinator", "Volunteer Experience & Causes", etc.

He just needs to keep in mind that if he's using his Reddit Mod experience on his resume, he better make sure his Reddit account is completely free of anything he wouldn't want potential employers to see.
Because a hiring manager is just going to love to find out that "Community Management" turns out to mean "reddit moderator"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
For the sort of jobs that are looking to hire 18 year olds, "moderated an internet discussion board" is way more community management than anyone they're seriously competing against.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dik Hz posted:

From reddit's AITA

Now if only I could leverage being IK on a dead comedy forum into cash money.

Predictably, the first reply is full of complete poo poo.

Because a hiring manager is just going to love to find out that "Community Management" turns out to mean "reddit moderator"

I interviewed a guy for a Supervisor position once who had "World of Warcraft world first Guildmaster" listed as experience.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Jabor posted:

For the sort of jobs that are looking to hire 18 year olds, "moderated an internet discussion board" is way more community management than anyone they're seriously competing against.
Counterpoint: Anyone who thinks that moderating an internet forum is in any way relevant to a workplace should be kept as far away from functional employees and customers as humanly possible.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Dik Hz posted:

Counterpoint: Anyone who thinks that moderating an internet forum is in any way relevant to a workplace should be kept as far away from functional employees and customers as humanly possible.

It’d make sense for a narrow segment of jobs, like social media manager or community representative, but otherwise yeah it’s filler at best and a red flag at worst

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean putting something like that under hobbies and interests, sure whatever. As actual job experience noooooooope.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If anyone wants to put “moderator of r/homedentistry” on their resume, pm me.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Medullah posted:

I interviewed a guy for a Supervisor position once who had "World of Warcraft world first Guildmaster" listed as experience.
"You have two members, Xxxsefiroth and Ustabme on the roster. They are both underperforming, please walk us through how you would coach them back to guild standards."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

silvergoose posted:

I mean putting something like that under hobbies and interests, sure whatever. As actual job experience noooooooope.
Yeah this, and it also depends on the subreddit and job. If you were a mod on some hobbyist board that could be a good conversation starter. r/dank2010weedmemes or r/pubgcreepshots maybe not so much.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I was roommates with a guy who hit the warcraft sauce pretty hard and it ultimately caused him to lose his job, scholarship and SO. Before it all burned up he was actually a really effective guild leader - he took a bunch of casuals that he thought showed promise and were easy to work with, trained them to work together and compete for some world first stuff, settled interpersonal disputes when things got heated, and even provided some marriage counseling to a couple twice his age when their drama was turning into a bigger issue because he actually cared enough about the wellbeing of his crew. There were like 50 people in his guild at one point. It's fair to say he did more (unpaid) work than some bosses I've had while being much more effective at getting poo poo done.

e. melvin capital says they're throwing in the towel over gamestock, if that's true maybe the price will be crashing soon? I don't know.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 27, 2021

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Guys I have a confession to make. :ohdear:

I put some random cash in at $90.

Holy poo poo, I hope you sold this morning.

Or alternately, double down: I am currently offering a July 320 call for the low, low price of $130.

e: nevermind, it printed on its own. :cool:

SlapActionJackson fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 27, 2021

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Guest2553 posted:

e. melvin capital says they're throwing in the towel over gamestock, maybe the price will be crashing soon? It was fun while it lasted.

It closed at $147 yesterday and opened at over $350 today.

Currently hovering between 250/300, not showing signs of tanking like I'd expect if it were over. I mean, trading has only been open a short while, but if this were the "dump" portion I'd have expected it to be pennies by now with all the redditors panic selling and institutions trying to buy up more shares to short. Looks like everyone is sticking to their guns so far.

See this is why I don't play these games. I thought shorting when this first hit the news was a good idea. That was when it was like $60.

This is fun to watch from a distance. I've learned over the years to ignore FOMO because it's always lead me astray. Feeling it REAL hard right now, but I know if I act on it now it'll be worse. I'm never that lucky with gambling, I'll find a way to lose.

edit:

:lol:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/27/gamestops-surge-has-made-its-3-largest-shareholders-billions-overnight.html

quote:

As of the market close Tuesday, Cohen’s 13% stake was worth over $1.3 billion. So over the past two weeks, Cohen’s net worth increased an average of $90 million a day, or nearly $4 million per hour

as if any of that money is sticking around.

The r/wsb crowd is trying to paint this as some sort of "shorts are trying to murder GameStop like they did Tesla!" The reality is that the company is a zombie on its last legs. The massive shorts were just realistic expectations that, unless they somehow turned the ship around, the company was going bust in the near future. This is all monopoly money. Some people are going to make out like bandits here, and some people are going to take a bath, but none of this changes the fact that gamestop is doomed if they don't significantly change their business model.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 27, 2021

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

DaveSauce posted:

This is fun to watch from a distance.

:hfive:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
It was foretold in the scriptures:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/381474795310702592

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

DaveSauce posted:

It closed at $147 yesterday and opened at over $350 today.

Currently hovering between 250/300, not showing signs of tanking like I'd expect if it were over. I mean, trading has only been open a short while, but if this were the "dump" portion I'd have expected it to be pennies by now with all the redditors panic selling and institutions trying to buy up more shares to short. Looks like everyone is sticking to their guns so far.

See this is why I don't play these games. I thought shorting when this first hit the news was a good idea. That was when it was like $60.

This is fun to watch from a distance. I've learned over the years to ignore FOMO because it's always lead me astray. Feeling it REAL hard right now, but I know if I act on it now it'll be worse. I'm never that lucky with gambling, I'll find a way to lose.
Everyone knows it's going to crash. But there's money to made as long as you keep pumping it to new suckers.

GME is such a gem because it's hilarious on so many levels. The little guys are winning for now. They'll lose eventually. Seeing a hedge fund take it in the shorts (pun intended) is fun to watch.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

A true visionary.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rejpDqQUcV0

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
so is there a way that both the hedge fund managers AND r/wsb can lose? Maybe a bunch of hedge funds go bankrupt and then the SEC goes after r/wsb and takes all their millions away?

Honestly these hedge funds weren't wrong to short the poo poo out of gamestop, but I'm not going to cry when they go belly up. But more importantly, I can't stand the arrogant douchenozzles at r/wsb, and I don't know if I can stomach them walking away with a W on this.

fake edit: lol GME is back around $350. Principle be damned, if I were one of the ones that bought in at $50 I'd dump every last stock and walk away. Can't tell if it's staying afloat because the original people are hanging on, or if they've duped enough people to buy in and have long since sold off. I'm sure there's plenty of room to go up, but it's over 8x where it was when this all started, there's no reason to risk any more than that.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yes, absolutely, both sides can get wrecked but on different timelines. In the short term, if GME goes to the moon, then the shorts have to cover because they'll get margin called. They'll do it at inflated prices and their accounts get liquidated. Then say a few days at $Texas valuation, Gamestop says "we're gonna sell some stocks at $Oklahoma valuation to pivot to blockchain video game saves management" or whatever. Then the longs who brought at $Texas get destroyed as it goes down.

There will be a comparatively small percentage of traders who brought when it was $25 and sold at $Oklahoma, versus the volume needed to get to $Texas, so a ton of FOMO traders get utterly hosed as the price drops back down to actual integer values.

Edit: It's also important to add that in a classic short squeeze as we're probably seeing, once the shorts give up, that's a ton of buying pressure that's removed and now suddenly, Wile E. Coyote style, the rocket that the price was riding loses thrust, and at the same time a bunch of people who think they've been on the ride long enough to retire to a tropical island also decide it's time to get off, and now it goes straight back down.

kw0134 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 27, 2021

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Plus many of them rolled in on the FOMO train and are having babby's first stock market exprience. If the lesson the self-labeled "autists" take away is that speculative leveraged retail betting utilizing options because of what anonymous people posting memes said on the internet is A Sure Thing(c), most of them are going to lose it in short notice anyways.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Last night, I was thinking about how much $$$ there would be in shorting Gamestop now that it's up to 150+. Then I NOPED right the gently caress out and reminded myself that all of this is stupid and that I may actually have better odds on blackjack.

Woke up today and it's at $340. I'd have likely been liquidated by margin-call in a single day.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

DaveSauce posted:

so is there a way that both the hedge fund managers AND r/wsb can lose? Maybe a bunch of hedge funds go bankrupt and then the SEC goes after r/wsb and takes all their millions away?
Well, the wsb crowd probably won't exit in time and eat it in the inevitable crash.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Janet Yellen is smashing F5 on https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1354496370414137346

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Janet Yellen is amazing. I'm glad she's in charge at the Treasury.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Saw this a scant few minutes ago:

Either a liar or an idiot.

Dik Hz posted:

Well, the wsb crowd probably won't exit in time and eat it in the inevitable crash.

I can't wait. I know there will be a few that make a fortune, but once it goes down there will be a ton of panicked, "guys I'm trying to sell but the shares are still in my account help???"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
even though they are redditors and thus hardly people, i'm actually not jazzed about a bunch of people who stupidly put their rent money on meme stocks getting hosed

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Can gamestop issue a gazillion new shares? After their leadership offloads their own stakes, of course.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I'm more hoping that the regulars will get screwed on this. WSB is a hell hole IMO and anyone who frequents that place deserves to get screwed.

I do agree that all the FOMO bystanders are going to get screwed on this. That is unfortunate... there will be a lot of collateral damage, and you can bet your rear end that precisely zero of the soon-to-be millionaires are going to take pity on them. All this ranting about "screw the institution this is for the people!" will quickly turn to "gently caress you got mine."

They think they're taking down Big Hedge Fund, and they'll score a few points there, but most of the people who are making this possible are going to eat poo poo big time.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Thankfully I know I don't have the stomach to have risked more than a grand on that, and best case scenario I would have made what, $5-6k? Which is awesome and I would love it but I'd have hypertension if I put 10k on it.

Truly I would have sold at doubled money anyway. No fomo here, fun to watch though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tomfoolery posted:

Can gamestop issue a gazillion new shares? After their leadership offloads their own stakes, of course.

I read that they're prohibited from issuing more than $100MM in new equity. Board could change that... but why would they? It's a dying company, if you're an equity holder you should be selling as much as possible to take advantage and you don't want new equity issued to dilute the value of your equity.