Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Personally my ideal season in terms of pacing for a television show is a two sentence Wikipedia summary, anything more than that and you're just wasting the audience's time. I'm really sick of these TV shows that just go on and on for hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Look, the absolute peak of this show was when they crammed a full novel into six episodes, and still had time to FULLY humanise and philosophize with a character they elevated from a 2-dimensional villain. (Ashford.)

Even if you're loving the show, you gotta admit improving the pacing would definitely be a plus after nearly half a season of the same people on the same ships barely doing anything.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

It was nice to see that Naomi's confusing message manipulation thing just made everyone confused rather than anyone suddenly realising what it meant. I dunno if there's going to be any payoff for that specifically but I thought it was a good illustration of how she's trying everything she can think of but there's no easy solution.

Enjoyed the episode but I kinda agree that the focus of the series during the last few episodes has seemed a bit confused. Lots of time spent on some things but not on others without much relation to the relative weight of those events.

Rather worried the final episode will be a bit unsatisfying given now underdeveloped the various plot threads are. Will it be one cliff hanger and everything else just kinda left hanging until next season, or will we get a whole bunch of cliffhangers? Either way, I have mixed feelings.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Speeding up the pace just to burn through plot points doesn't automatically improve anything though. Sure, the back half of season 3 was a thrill ride but there were a lot of character beats and plot points that got hustled along faster than they should have to make that happen. I suppose it's a matter of taste, but I'd rather let things breathe a bit more.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Should've been a scene with at least one of the Belter ships reacting to Pallas

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

VagueRant posted:

Even if you're loving the show, you gotta admit improving the pacing would definitely be a plus after nearly half a season of the same people on the same ships barely doing anything.

But they did stuff! It was all things! Talking and having exploratory character moments is still doing things! Do the people who hate these last few episodes really not like character drama? There hasn't been a single wasted scene in any of these episodes, none of it has been wheel spinning. Is the way they're structuring the narrative just not going fast enough toward solving the plot? Like is there this expectation that there's really a plot to 'solve' and anything that isn't overtly framed as momentum towards that is wasted time?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Panderfringe posted:

I get they don't want to handhold, but there's a difference between that and throwing information at you without context.

Sab Sabbington posted:

Someone not catching the context isn't the same as them not giving context.

Visual context:

(and if you're blind/visually impaired, the audio description is, "Naomi is in a spacesuit. She studies a sign that reads: 'Technical Specificiations.'"

Literally the next shot:

(no audio description at all for blind/visually impaired folks here, which is actually the stupidest poo poo ever, but it's Naomi closing her eyes and appearing to think through or calculate something in her head)

Storytelling context:
Four-and-a-half seasons of Naomi constantly doing math in her head and solving engineering problems on the fly.

I'm with Sab Sabbington on this one. :shrug:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

CPColin posted:

The rare good Epstein island.

The Expanse takes the controversial view that Epstein did in fact kill himself.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Sab Sabbington posted:

But they did stuff! It was all things! Talking and having exploratory character moments is still doing things! Do the people who hate these last few episodes really not like character drama? There hasn't been a single wasted scene in any of these episodes, none of it has been wheel spinning. Is the way they're structuring the narrative just not going fast enough toward solving the plot? Like is there this expectation that there's really a plot to 'solve' and anything that isn't overtly framed as momentum towards that is wasted time?
Yeah, that's cool. You can have an episode to do that. But having episodes 6, 7, 8, and 9 be repetitions of that episode just make the season all filler. They're not even concluding the story they made in the first few episodes, that's all waiting however long until season 6. Then we'll have another seven or eight episodes of filter before a mediocre end to the series.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
The resolution to this story arc in Book 6 is so bad, dull and lazy that I had to read it several times to even comprehend the level of nonsense that was presented. I hope the show changes it completely..

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Panderfringe posted:

Yeah, that's cool. You can have an episode to do that. But having episodes 6, 7, 8, and 9 be repetitions of that episode just make the season all filler. They're not even concluding the story they made in the first few episodes, that's all waiting however long until season 6. Then we'll have another seven or eight episodes of filter before a mediocre end to the series.

Nothing in those episodes were repetitions, all of it was new content that built off the previous content. You can not like it, and think it's boring, but it's not filler. All of it has been addressing and adding to the conflict they set up in the first few episodes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Astounds me that book readers still need to be told to leave book poo poo out of this thread, but where we are.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ah interesting fact. In the gunfight in the last episode that was their first time using real guns firing real blanks. Previously they'd do it all digitally. I thought the gunplay felt... harder some how.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Astounds me that book readers still need to be told to leave book poo poo out of this thread, but where we are.

its spoiler tagged even though they arent spoilers, relax.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Ah interesting fact. In the gunfight in the last episode that was their first time using real guns firing real blanks. Previously they'd do it all digitally. I thought the gunplay felt... harder some how.

Yeah it's probably a lot easier to have real guns when shooting outside.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah there were clearly way way more of them in the final attack than the number that approached them initially. Shooting them all right away would have just forced their overwhelming attack earlier before the ship was ready.

Seems like the initial group of renta-cops may have not expected to encounter a well-armed criminal gang. They approached completely in the open. They might have had sniper cover but they might not have. The fact that they backed down makes me feel like they didn't have any backup.

So if I was a criminal gangster I would have wiped them out. Would have taken the larger group of wherever they came from a little longer to figure out what happened, and their followup attack would have been weaker. Plus you could take the group's weapons and ammo. Assault rifles the rentacops had are much better than SMG's and shotguns most of the gang had.

But this is nerd debate. It was a good ep.

I also liked how Peaches did some off-screen slaughtering.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Visual context:

I find the idea that humanity, hundreds of years into the future, will use some weird archaic north american measurement system in space ship engineering highly offensive and I definitely will be writing a sharply worded complain letter about this to my local representative

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

I find the idea that humanity, hundreds of years into the future, will use some weird archaic north american measurement system in space ship engineering highly offensive and I definitely will be writing a sharply worded complain letter about this to my local representative

In the grim dark future there are still English measurements based on whacky basis like the size of a dead kings nose.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

GABA ghoul posted:

Well the sign is posted on the Chetzemoka, and Chetzemoka was an indigenous Klallam person native to what is now Washington state, and has been immortalized as "the white man's friend" through a series of events in the mid-1800s. Maybe the shipbuilders are carrying on an American tradition. :v: (I guess the sign is also in Japanese because... Washington state is also on the Pacific? I dunno man)

Amusingly I learned it's originally spelled číčməhán and pronounced more like "cheech-ma-ham" but that was all too hard for the white folks so it eventually got transliterated as Chetzemoka. Every time they say it in the show it's pronounced incorrectly. Honestly, before looking it up, I thought it was a Russian name because of the show's pronunciation.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

I very much appreciate that those technical specifications include both metric and imperial meadurements.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

in a way I'm disappointed Avassarala asked Career Admiral Goatee not to go on a manhunt for Inaross. Would enjoy seeing the shock on his face when it turns out he's not hunting a belter in a rustbucket, but a belter with a small fleet of modern MCRN warships.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Baronjutter posted:

How about that; I was thinking some of the gunfire appeared overdramatic compared to usual.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

Centrist Committee posted:

I miss the blue goo part of the show. It’s still good TV, and I enjoy the character work, but I miss the existential mystery

Same, the blue goo story was my favourite part, not that I'm not enjoying it without it. Also, this is the first season without any Miller, isn't it?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I for one am glad we mostly moved past the weird magic space dust that creates ghosts and talking iron planks. The political intrigue was always way better

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Chalks posted:

It was nice to see that Naomi's confusing message manipulation thing just made everyone confused rather than anyone suddenly realising what it meant. I dunno if there's going to be any payoff for that specifically but I thought it was a good illustration of how she's trying everything she can think of but there's no easy solution.

Enjoyed the episode but I kinda agree that the focus of the series during the last few episodes has seemed a bit confused. Lots of time spent on some things but not on others without much relation to the relative weight of those events.

Rather worried the final episode will be a bit unsatisfying given now underdeveloped the various plot threads are. Will it be one cliff hanger and everything else just kinda left hanging until next season, or will we get a whole bunch of cliffhangers? Either way, I have mixed feelings.

Well they got 11 episodes to finish the show, so we'll see.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Beamed posted:

I for one am glad we mostly moved past the weird magic space dust that creates ghosts and talking iron planks. The political intrigue was always way better

Both are nice, but it is jarring going from a story about alien molecules that do wacky poo poo, to some humans fighting amongst each other.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CainsDescendant posted:

Speeding up the pace just to burn through plot points doesn't automatically improve anything though. Sure, the back half of season 3 was a thrill ride but there were a lot of character beats and plot points that got hustled along faster than they should have to make that happen. I suppose it's a matter of taste, but I'd rather let things breathe a bit more.

You can't let things breathe when you only have one season left to finish everything. Unless you want another GOT season 8, fine.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 28, 2021

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Barreft posted:

You can't let things breathe when you only have one season left to finish everything. Unless you want another GOT season 8 fine.

That's exactly what we're heading toward, since they've got to wrap up so much plot in season 6. They took way too long to do anything at all this season, opting to save it for later.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm genuinely excited by the fact next season is the last one, it means they can go off the rails and do things differently from the books. I didn't hate last season, but it suffered from being such a direct adaptation of something I'd already read.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Panderfringe posted:

That's exactly what we're heading toward, since they've got to wrap up so much plot in season 6. They took way too long to do anything at all this season, opting to save it for later.

As a non-book reader, one full season seems like enough to wrap up a Free Navy/OPA vs. Inners war. I'm assuming at this point that we're not going to finish off Marco this season.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Both are nice, but it is jarring going from a story about alien molecules that do wacky poo poo, to some humans fighting amongst each other.

I think for me it is disappointing that the direction kind of changed midstream and feels like it got away from where it was intended to go. S1-3 was introduced this human conflict and how the different factions exploit this alien invader and ends with the galaxy being opened up to humanity. Then S4 went in the direction of showing how humanity might struggle when expanding into that new universe and now theyve completely abandoned that in favor of doing a 180 and returning to a conflict that seems lame in comparison to the possibilities and direction that have opened up.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'm even more sad that Bezos bucks didn't add anything to make the show better than season 3.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Panderfringe posted:

11 episodes is more than enough to wrap everything up. We are almost at the half point of the story and they left out some stuff so there is a lot of room for show to breath.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

TommyGun85 posted:

I think for me it is disappointing that the direction kind of changed midstream and feels like it got away from where it was intended to go. S1-3 was introduced this human conflict and how the different factions exploit this alien invader and ends with the galaxy being opened up to humanity. Then S4 went in the direction of showing how humanity might struggle when expanding into that new universe and now theyve completely abandoned that in favor of doing a 180 and returning to a conflict that seems lame in comparison to the possibilities and direction that have opened up.

There's a reason for this and it's because the source novels are a trilogy of trilogies and the show is ending after the second.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

acumen posted:

There's a reason for this and it's because the source novels are a trilogy of trilogies and the show is ending after the second.

Yeah that's fine for book readers, but I'm watching a show and knowing it's cut off 2/3rds into it's story. So I'm just bummed in general.

Whatever they say about books 7-9 in the future I don't give a poo poo, cause it probably won't happen, but mainly I'm invested in the Expanse tv show.

If this was as popular as GOT people would be furious you'd end the show after season 6. (in retrospect I wish they did).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's a tense gun standoff scene between the good guys and some rent-a-cops in the movie Wind River and I wonder if that was the inspiration for the stand off in this episode. Very similar with the snow setting and both scenes looked really cool.

some major spoilers for the movie obviously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc1Z6uYXcv0

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The show is not an alien of the week show either. The book writers are TV writers too and they say the show is, and always will, primarily be about people and politics.

The big deal about the ring is not going to a bunch of weird alien planets, it's how it affects the politics of the system. That's straight from the show writers, so just know that going into whatever they do for season six.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah "there's these giant unknowable mysteries that shatter humanity's understanding of the universe but the stupid loving monkeys are too busy murdering each other over silly bullshit to notice" is an intentional thematic choice pretty sure

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

double nine posted:

in a way I'm disappointed Avassarala asked Career Admiral Goatee not to go on a manhunt for Inaross. Would enjoy seeing the shock on his face when it turns out he's not hunting a belter in a rustbucket, but a belter with a small fleet of modern MCRN warships.

He knows that? Bobbie sent the drive sigs / video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Barreft posted:

Yeah that's fine for book readers, but I'm watching a show and knowing it's cut off 2/3rds into it's story. So I'm just bummed in general.

Whatever they say about books 7-9 in the future I don't give a poo poo, cause it probably won't happen, but mainly I'm invested in the Expanse tv show.

If this was as popular as GOT people would be furious you'd end the show after season 6. (in retrospect I wish they did).

It's not cut off. Books 6 finishes the story completely and in a satisfying way. Books 7-9 are a completely new story that is taking place 30 years later. It's not anymore cut off than TOS is cut off because it doesn't include TNG or Gremlins being cut off because it doesn't include Gremlins 2.