Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

Noted game without scamming : eve online

Eve has more advanced scams, like a long con man. Path of Exile has scams like a crooked street magician picking your pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Rutibex posted:

I thought this was the reason the trade system is such garbage, its specifically to allow scamming to exist? I swear I heard Chris Wilson say this. If there was an auction house or contract system like EVE scamming would be impossible.

I don't think he's ever said that; from what I've read the trade system is the way it is because he doesn't want to make acquiring upgrades for your gear too easy.

I don't agree that that improves the game, but I guess I can see the logic if you're trying to maximize the time people spend playing. I wish they'd at least make some kind of automated exchange for commodities like scarabs, maps, currency, etc., and then fine, let people "interact" for gear.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I haven't even been able to tell whether or not you can trade for points using the hard currency provided by the game. If not, it's a step down from Warframe, where you can do precisely that with the hard currency provided there.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Victory Position posted:

I haven't even been able to tell whether or not you can trade for points using the hard currency provided by the game. If not, it's a step down from Warframe, where you can do precisely that with the hard currency provided there.

You can't. I like Warframe but their monetization model is pretty much the opposite of what people like about PoE's.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

there is no way to earn mtx points in game like warframe. cash only.

it also doesnt have things like waiting 3 days for your masters to finish cooking though :shrug:

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Are any self ignite builds still good? I was thinking about doing something real dumb like self-ignite totem buff chieftain with infernal blow, (7th sun and saviour dual wield?) but it looks like I'd be piecing the build together from scratch. Did anything big change about the build from 3.5 or whenever it was popular? I did one with citrine eye, double moku's and dual wielding 7th suns with techtonic slam back then that was the most fun I probably ever had in poe.

I'm playing a self-ignite VD witch. Never played a chieftain so can't comment on your idea, but self-igniting is still a thing.

I've been having a much better time with that build I linked than what I had chosen as my league starter, but I would absolutely not recommend it without having a lot of currency to burn (har har). Even now I'm missing some pieces and a lot of its defensives come from various cluster jewels and such so it's squishy until you can get all of that online. (The fortify notable is apparently like 20ex lol.) I'm level 92 so I've powered through a decent amount of content with it and still have a ways to push it before it's complete but it is absolutely not a league starter or cheap build. You can do way more with way less on other builds.

Actually while I'm here, I wonder what the tankiest laziest witch build is. Guessing a necro summoner. I had a ton of fun like a year or two ago when I did spectres but they've been massively nerfed since then apparently.

I try to do a different build each league but dang if I don't end up crawling back to cyclone somehow. It's so easy to build and it's so easy to make super tanky until you literally spin to win. Probably next league I should just cut out the pretense and start off as some type of cyclone. :(

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Mulozon Empuri posted:

Has performance turned to poo poo for anybody else in the last couple of patches? I keep dying because of freezes when a bunch of mobs spawn now.

This league has ran like crap for me, heist I had one crash to desktop all league. In about two hours this morning I had three crashes and my frame rate has taken a massive dump since last league. The latest patch also introduced large blobs of colored pixels when there's a lot happening on screen.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Congrats to sky for getting to ban lowtax. :dogecheers:

e: :cheerdoge:

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Ancient Orb + Nemesis is really good. I'd argue it makes the harbinger nodes, while already absurd, even better.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Carados posted:

Ancient Orb + Nemesis is really good. I'd argue it makes the harbinger nodes, while already absurd, even better.

maybe you can afford a 6-link now

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
BB/BF Chieftain Ailment Immunity chat:

People seem to go to a huge amount of trouble to get ailment immunity, and I don't really understand why. We're immune to Ignite already, Shock is not an issue in SC as long as you don't mind a freak death once in a while, and Freeze/Chill is easily handled with a single flask slot (or boot craft). To get totally immune via mods you need to spend several passive points and/or several crafting slots. It just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Am I missing something?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Rutibex posted:

I thought this was the reason the trade system is such garbage, its specifically to allow scamming to exist?

No.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Vulpes posted:

People seem to go to a huge amount of trouble to get ailment immunity, and I don't really understand why. We're immune to Ignite already, Shock is not an issue in SC as long as you don't mind a freak death once in a while, and Freeze/Chill is easily handled with a single flask slot (or boot craft). To get totally immune via mods you need to spend several passive points and/or several crafting slots. It just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Am I missing something?

Being actually ailment immune makes a ton of those "freak deaths" just go away, shock is the hidden killer that is what makes a lot of things dangerous that wouldn't normally be. The DIE beam on Sirus does almost zero damage if you're shock and corrupted blood immune. It also frees up a flask slot and makes you completely immune to chilled ground which you often don't have 100% uptime on. It especially becomes big on bosses that have freeze effects, where you may not be able to have your flask available at all times.

It's one of those things that if you want to hit 100, you need to remove those rare deaths, you just cannot afford to be dying at level 99. And it doesn't come at a huge cost, especially once you're at the point of optimizing endgame gear.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rutibex posted:

I thought this was the reason the trade system is such garbage, its specifically to allow scamming to exist? I swear I heard Chris Wilson say this. If there was an auction house or contract system like EVE scamming would be impossible.

you can scam any trading system. In eve or auction house, it's finding the idiots that list a 3c item that sells for 1ex and insta buy them.

It will be like WOW early days where you could constantly search the AH for items that you could vendor for more than the people are selling or buy items idiots listed for waaaay less then what they are worth. You can still do this today in WOW but they heavily restrict your searches to something like 10 times an hour.

If they implemented something like a simple hash to confirm the item is the same one you messaged them about and show if it's there or not I'm the trade window that would be interesting.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 27, 2021

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

MMF Freeway posted:

You can't. I like Warframe but their monetization model is pretty much the opposite of what people like about PoE's.

Yeah, I was going to see if I could eke out something so I could buy a stash tab and the like, but that's not the case :shrug:

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
Goons: I’m finally starting to figure out the endgame, but one area where I’m deficient is understanding the various builds (ie lacerate glad or archmage casters or storm brand or ice miners) and where they fall in various respects to boss killing, expense, toughness, clear speed, complexity of combat mechanics (specifically how many buttons and combos do I need to be executing constantly), etc. obviously every single one of these can fluctuate (dramatically, in the case of expense), every league.

Is there a resource anyone would recommend that would even slightly summarize a bunch of popular builds by their performance along the above criteria? Like, say, I want to build a character who specializes in boss killing, is extremely tanky, don’t really care about clear speed, has relatively simple mechanics and is moderate in expense (15 ex or less).... where would you go to find something matching these criteria?

Is the answer thousands of hours of POE and trying dozens of different builds? I’m guessing that’s the answer.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cretin90 posted:

Goons: I’m finally starting to figure out the endgame, but one area where I’m deficient is understanding the various builds (ie lacerate glad or archmage casters or storm brand or ice miners) and where they fall in various respects to boss killing, expense, toughness, clear speed, complexity of combat mechanics (specifically how many buttons and combos do I need to be executing constantly), etc. obviously every single one of these can fluctuate (dramatically, in the case of expense), every league.

Is there a resource anyone would recommend that would even slightly summarize a bunch of popular builds by their performance along the above criteria? Like, say, I want to build a character who specializes in boss killing, is extremely tanky, don’t really care about clear speed, has relatively simple mechanics and is moderate in expense (15 ex or less).... where would you go to find something matching these criteria?

Is the answer thousands of hours of POE and trying dozens of different builds? I’m guessing that’s the answer.

This is what you want, but your going to have to be able to read the code of the matrix somewhat:
https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Cretin90 posted:

Like, say, I want to build a character who specializes in boss killing, is extremely tanky, don’t really care about clear speed, has relatively simple mechanics and is moderate in expense (15 ex or less).... where would you go to find something matching these criteria?

you post exactly that either here or on reddit and have people tell you

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ihmemies posted:

Experience of using awakened poe trade macro: I think I sold a 70life 27allres -mana cost of skills ring for 3c. Maybe it was 3ex and I was too tired to see the difference, or the program just didn't work that well :D

Bro you dont use the price check. What you do is click the mods that seem good, then search. It searches for slot type non-uniques so you wont get screwed by searching say, a steel ring and only seeing other steel ring prices. Then you either open the search on the website to see more detail or vaguely guess and price from there.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

You don't need thousands of hours but you do need experience playing a diversity of builds, a lot of them fall into broad categories that can kind of give you an intuition about how they will play. How expensive they will be definitely depends on the patch, a lot of items that are must buy this league (Cinderswallow, in particular) are multiple hundreds of chaos when they were like 3-5c previously.

But like, if you play self cast lightning spell: arc, storm burst, ball lightning, it's all kind of the same build. You're going to be trying to get big shocks through high crits, you probably have an "uptime window" where you are popping some buffs, at the very least, a diamond flask. You will be standing still during this which can be kinda rippy if you're doing content for the first time.

All dot builds play similarly with some important distinctions and usually at least one unique facet of gearing. To land big ignites you're usually gonna be channeling a spell or skill, cold dot of any type you're going to be layering the various forms of cold dot which magnify each other. Poison is all about hitting fast to stack poisons, bleed is hitting hard once or hitting medium at a fast rate so stack crimson dance, chaos dot is kind of like cold dot except you're trying to maintain stacks of the wither debuff instead of layering multiple sources of dot on top of each other.

There's a lot of diversity in minion builds but imho the broad characterization is that you are going to stress about every single individual socket on all of your pieces of gear and it can be really obnoxious, and you're going to be flying around maps smashing convocation to make sure your minions are in the space where they work best. That space varies per minion or sometimes doesn't really exist (Soulwrest).

There's an additional dimension as well of the various types of ancillary skill available to each build: minion usually means free frenzy charge from specters. Poison means plaguebearer which is like getting to play old RF every other monster pack. These are a lot harder to summarize IMO.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Rutibex posted:

This is what you want, but your going to have to be able to read the code of the matrix somewhat:

poe.ninja's extremely useful, but it's not going to tell him anything about whether the builds are good for boss killing or clear speed. I don't know of any list like that, but all good build guides discuss the build's single target/clear speed tradeoffs.

I've been playing Vortex Occultist this league and I think it meets all your criteria—fantastic boss killer, pretty tanky, super cheap until you switch to LL and then the only major expense is the 6L Shav's. Clear speed isn't top-tier but it's very decent (and I usually play clear-focused builds). And as an extra bonus, I guess people are saying that the life regen Maven adds to bosses is incredibly annoying? Occ has a passive that disables enemy life regen. I haven't had to deal with that at all.

AotC
May 16, 2010

Cretin90 posted:

Like, say, I want to build a character who specializes in boss killing, is extremely tanky, don’t really care about clear speed, has relatively simple mechanics and is moderate in expense (15 ex or less).... where would you go to find something matching these criteria?
Yeah, basically ask here, reddit, around, etc until you have an idea of what does what.

Off the top of my head 1h impale cyclone champ would fit that description. Alternatively it's bigger, more expensive, brother as a glad would do. Most minion builds, vortex builds, etc. Depends on what type of skill you want to use.

I'd hit up https://www.poebuilds.cc/ and just read the various build guides. Keep in mind, just because it's in a guide doesn't mean it's good!

Rutibex posted:

Bruh, sending someone that's asking about what different builds do to poe.ninja is a terrible idea. That list is only the top of the ladder (lowest level is 95!). There's no explanation of what content a build does well, how much it costs, it's mechanics, etc.

AotC fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 27, 2021

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

Awesome! posted:

you post exactly that either here or on reddit and have people tell you

I’m kinda going for “teach a dumbass to fish” here rather than just giving said dumbass a fish. Arguably, that applies more to learning how to build, but I’m not sure I’ll ever get there with the sheer breadth of unique items, build mechanics, and combat mechanics in this game... so I’ll settle for figuring out how to evaluate builds effectively.

Rutibex posted:

I do use Poe ninja pretty heavily, mostly to evaluate how my current build is panning out relative to the “pros.” It’s how I figured out the bleed bow guide I was following made a number of questionable choices and abandoned it.

AotC posted:

Yeah, basically ask here, reddit, around, etc until you have an idea of what does what.

Off the top of my head 1h impale cyclone champ would fit that description. Alternatively it's bigger, more expensive, brother as a glad would do. Most minion builds, vortex builds, etc. Depends on what type of skill you want to use.

Thx. I also like this because my current character is bleed bow and I could respec fairly easily. I’m hitting a bit of a wall at 91 because in t15 maps my awareness and tankiness are just not up to par so unless I’m 100% on my game I keep getting zapped by random mechanics. If you couldn’t tell, my post was 25% “recommend me a build” 75% “help me not need to ask for builds.”

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey I rerolled into a bf/bb assassin and it's kinda fun; but I didnt have nearly as much money as I should have so I'm basically just in cheap starter gear. Any advice on which slots are most important to upgrade first?

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

12 rats tied together posted:

You don't need thousands of hours but you do need experience playing a diversity of builds, a lot of them fall into broad categories that can kind of give you an intuition about how they will play. How expensive they will be definitely depends on the patch, a lot of items that are must buy this league (Cinderswallow, in particular) are multiple hundreds of chaos when they were like 3-5c previously.

But like, if you play self cast lightning spell: arc, storm burst, ball lightning, it's all kind of the same build. You're going to be trying to get big shocks through high crits, you probably have an "uptime window" where you are popping some buffs, at the very least, a diamond flask. You will be standing still during this which can be kinda rippy if you're doing content for the first time.

All dot builds play similarly with some important distinctions and usually at least one unique facet of gearing. To land big ignites you're usually gonna be channeling a spell or skill, cold dot of any type you're going to be layering the various forms of cold dot which magnify each other. Poison is all about hitting fast to stack poisons, bleed is hitting hard once or hitting medium at a fast rate so stack crimson dance, chaos dot is kind of like cold dot except you're trying to maintain stacks of the wither debuff instead of layering multiple sources of dot on top of each other.

There's a lot of diversity in minion builds but imho the broad characterization is that you are going to stress about every single individual socket on all of your pieces of gear and it can be really obnoxious, and you're going to be flying around maps smashing convocation to make sure your minions are in the space where they work best. That space varies per minion or sometimes doesn't really exist (Soulwrest).

There's an additional dimension as well of the various types of ancillary skill available to each build: minion usually means free frenzy charge from specters. Poison means plaguebearer which is like getting to play old RF every other monster pack. These are a lot harder to summarize IMO.

I forgot to reply initially but this is a really helpful post thx. This is the kinda poo poo I want. Condense those thousands of hours down for me!

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I beat Sirus for the first time on this character! Second time actually killing him as the first time was during harvest league with op items. I usually get bored before getting to end game and quit but this expansion is quite fun. I really enjoy the atlas points and it feels like you're working towards something constantly. Plus ritual is great. I don't like having to stop my maps to run heists or something that isn't maps like delve.

On another note managed to get a redeemer chest with a bunch of life and nearby enemies are blinded mod on it. This boosted my survival way up from the tabula I was using. I haven't died since (except during Sirus.) Poison Venom Gyre turned out pretty well. I'll probably try out the shaper fight soon. I have never fought him before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVMysSfUPGk My super struggle battle with Sirus. I'm not sure the timing and getting hit by the die beam was instant death. Not sure how much life I need to tank a hit from the beam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrBxDs33syM Throw in an extra less bad more fun 10 boss Maven fight.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

If you had to pick a Raider build that wasn’t TR or Caustic right now what would it be?

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
loving lol, I was just about to put an Ex on layaway when the servers turned off. FML.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Iverron posted:

If you had to pick a Raider build that wasn’t TR or Caustic right now what would it be?

Charged Dash

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

frankenbeans posted:

loving lol, I was just about to put an Ex on layaway when the servers turned off. FML.

I jumped in to run a single map, and didn't notice the "4 minutes" warning until a new one popped up that said "we are resetting the servers". shitshitshit, said I, abandoning plans to kill every single thing and ritual in there, and just beelined for the boss. Cleared it just in the nick of time (uh, thanks, Maven, for not helping there), but I was definitely worried that I'd see an exalt drop right before getting kicked. Fortunately or unfortunately, I suppose, one didn't. Sorry for your loss, thought and prayers, etc.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

:thunk: maybe...

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
After learning that Asenath's Chant exists earlier today, which I did not know, I'm consumed with the idea of building something that uses both that and Maloney's Mechanism to just poo poo extra spells and arrows everywhere. This is not a short-term project, since I'll have to save up for a while to get a Maloney's, but has anyone a) ever tried this, or b) run across any builds/videos that do?

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

AotC posted:

I'd hit up https://www.poebuilds.cc/ and just read the various build guides. Keep in mind, just because it's in a guide doesn't mean it's good!

Bruh, sending someone that's asking about what different builds do to poe.ninja is a terrible idea. That list is only the top of the ladder (lowest level is 95!). There's no explanation of what content a build does well, how much it costs, it's mechanics, etc.
I’m looking at the 1h impale cyclone champ/glad... I’m seeing a LOT of facebreakers. Is this a thing?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve seen it used for frenzy upkeep a lot

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Sarcastro posted:

After learning that Asenath's Chant exists earlier today, which I did not know, I'm consumed with the idea of building something that uses both that and Maloney's Mechanism to just poo poo extra spells and arrows everywhere. This is not a short-term project, since I'll have to save up for a while to get a Maloney's, but has anyone a) ever tried this, or b) run across any builds/videos that do?

many high end toxic rain builds do this

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Sure, go forward, scam people.
Who you gonna blame for the ban of your beloved $420.69 worth of mtx? Rutibex? Phah.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ggg will actually transfer mtx for you from a banned account to a new one

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Kinetica posted:

Additionally, will a divine ire elementalist have the dps for killing the super tanky maven bosses? It seems like it should? I don’t want to end up hitting a brick wall as I’m just now getting into reds.

Zyrkx's dire elementalist has like 12 million shaper DPS so yeah seems like it should be fine. I have a tiny fraction of his gear and the build absolutely rolls everything so far. I'm just starting to get the points for cluster jewels, level 82ish, and DPS-wise I absolutely stomp witnessed T16 bosses (my tank is a little less solid considering I only have 3.7k HP, but yolo).

Vulpes posted:

Am I missing something?

Not relying on flasks to be immune to multiple extremely deadly conditions is actually a very big deal. Even in SC, it can easily be the difference between tanking a die beam and wasting one of your Sirus portals.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Awesome! posted:

ggg will actually transfer mtx for you from a banned account to a new one

drat ggg rules. with perks like this, everyone should be scammin all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
For the cost of just 1 ex you too can attend my seminar on how to make money hand over fist every day.