Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
2021 the year of meme stonks!

THIS RIDE GOT NOWHERE TO GO BUT UP UP UP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

skooma512 posted:

What if we shorted it and made mad bucks on the way down?

even if you could right now (I don't think you can, most places aren't allowing you to even attempt to short the meme stocks right now), the critical always-repeated thing is "you have to bet on a time it happens" and people who thought they could do that even in this very forum have already hosed it up and lost thousands

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

blue squares posted:

I've been working all day and pulled out early, so I haven't followed the thread. Is anyone making crazy money today? Seems like a lot of these stocks are flat today, so if you didn't buy in yesterday, you missed out?
Koss was up big

Other than that not a whole lot of movement overall

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
How ‘Flows Before Pros’ Is Disrupting Stock Markets

Some worry that the battle between the “flows” generated by small investors and the “pros,” or professionals, are artificially pumping stocks higher in a feedback loop that could lead to a collapse. Others worry the wild trading is ruining the purpose of capital markets entirely: the efficient allocation of capital.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Relevant Tangent posted:

Hey it's good to see you're back.

💜

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
I bought 30 shares of NAKD this morning because it was 82 cents and gently caress it.

I should have bought more.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

blue squares posted:

I've been working all day and pulled out early, so I haven't followed the thread. Is anyone making crazy money today? Seems like a lot of these stocks are flat today, so if you didn't buy in yesterday, you missed out?

nothing crazy, still new to this but looking at +$250 currently on NOK

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
i'm not putting any money in any of this i just want to watch the hedge funds burn

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

holy gently caress nokia is eating poo poo after hours

That's me in the corner
That's me in the spotlight
Losing my investment

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

what makes Nokia solid exactly?

I think that is a funny part to me, Nokia and Blackberry. Most people think they are dead/dying companies because they don't sell consumer products anymore. Nokia is in the network management/business services/network hardware business and Blackberry is in enterprise security, business services and owns QNX, you probably interact with QNX all the loving time, you just have no idea because you probably don't give a poo poo about embedded real time OSs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

even if you could right now (I don't think you can, most places aren't allowing you to even attempt to short the meme stocks right now), the critical always-repeated thing is "you have to bet on a time it happens" and people who thought they could do that even in this very forum have already hosed it up and lost thousands

I mean I guess you could buy January 2023 puts?

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Radio Shack, probably. poo poo no longer even tries to make sense.

For some reason Radio Shack doesn't show up. Should I just buy Nokia/AMC?

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/still-no-reason-invest-naked-170000887.html
Memes are saving Naked from being dropped from the NASDAQ. This is just great.

hey u shortie sup?

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
also anyone with td-ameritrade should transfer all their funds to another broker once things settle down. brokers that halt trading unilaterally like that should be punished. it will serve as a deterrence for other brokers to not halt trading.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Yossarian-22 posted:

Okay I have a robin hood account at long last. Is it too late to buy AMC/Nokia? Any other hot stocks to keep an eye on?

Nokia is not in the same category as the other companies, it is generally being referenced because Finland backs it up very strongly and has been doing some promising stuff with 5G and such. It's a good idea to buy in the sense that if the investor Mongol horde goes after it, they are not looking to do the same thing they are doing with Gamestop or AMC (which is to gently caress the hedges against those companies), but rather price appreciation, which can then be used to make more conventional bets (Nokia rises to 10: set to buy to 8, sell at 12, that stuff)

AMC is far more similar to GME in which is shorted against and there are funds hedged against it, but not in similar scale and volume... yet. My opinion - not an advice - is that it remains to be seen how disciplined the Mongol horde stays after sacking its first metaphorical Chinese city, which is the fundamental (lmao) factor of success of this approach: if the wealthier people after GME decide to bankroll on the "gently caress you wall street" and buy big to shore up the larger horde, it is guaranteed to be another killing, albeit in a lesser scale but still very much profitable

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So how do you guys trade stocks?

I turn all the lights off, put on a red robe and play this loudly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLsX9WUdYnU

Can't wait to become one with the database banking servers.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

mila kunis posted:

How ‘Flows Before Pros’ Is Disrupting Stock Markets

Some worry that the battle between the “flows” generated by small investors and the “pros,” or professionals, are artificially pumping stocks higher in a feedback loop that could lead to a collapse. Others worry the wild trading is ruining the purpose of capital markets entirely: the efficient allocation of capital.

well that's an easy fix, make it so that if you buy a share in a company, you're locked out of selling any shares in that company for a month or a few

capital will have to allocate itself efficiently into something more useful than stock market speculation

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Schnorkles posted:

i'm not putting any money in any of this i just want to watch the hedge funds burn

I was planning on watching GME from the sidelines when it was first rising. Decided to jump in last week, now im just sticking it out to gently caress them over and do my part, I might lose $500 but they are losing billions. gently caress 'em

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

yes! nokia broke seven dollars!!!!!

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Yossarian-22 posted:

nokia seems to be holding steady and I've had less issues with it. was going down but now it's above what it was at close.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

blue squares posted:

depends if you believe in the $1000 moonshot or not. most of the big jump has been on open, not during the day

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shear Modulus posted:

lol if this is what gets section 230 repealed
good news

quote:

In a hearing on her nomination for Commerce Department secretary on Tuesday, Rhode Island Governor Gina Raimondo told lawmakers that she will pursue changes to Section 230 if confirmed.

Responding to questions posed by Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI), Raimondo said that she would use the tools available through the Commerce Department’s National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) to convene stakeholders, industry leaders, lawmakers and others to identify the means of reform to the pivotal internet law.

“I think platform accountability is important because I’ve seen in my own state that misinformation hurts people,” Raimondo said. “But of course, that reform would have to be balanced against the fact that these businesses rely upon user-generated content for their innovation, and they’ve created many thousands of jobs.”

libs have been cheer-leading for repealing 230 for awhile now, the only reason there was tepid opposition was because big wet daddy was also for it which was persona-non-grata. now hes out of the picture biden, with very helpful backing of republicans whom are mad about "conservative censorship" and all the libs who want to stop "unwoke hatespeech and russian bots corrupting democracy", it's pretty closely on the chopping block

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/26/22250746/biden-gina-raimondo-commerce-secretary-section-230

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

I mean I guess you could buy January 2023 puts?

please don't

goonrades for real don't do options

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

so are amc and nok gonna go up overnight or should i sell

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

yes, unless they don't, in which case no

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay, so if you buy a put option the option doesn't have to be in the money when you sell it, just a better bet than when you purchased it, is that right?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Stairmaster posted:

wont that piss off middle class investors and kill confidence

doing anything abnormal will kill Number dead, because Number can only breathe while it's moving and Number can only go up

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
robinhood keeps saying its trying but failing to cancel my limit sell, for the last hour

stonks

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
how is blockbuster still unresolved after 10 years, we’re not talking about Lehman brothers here

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY
the SEC should regulate the fact that schnorkles and cumshitter have the same av. hosed up imo.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Yossarian-22 posted:

Radio Shack is now privately owned by Retail Ecommerce Ventures, some loving vulture company that is buying up every single ailing store brand and... doing gently caress all with them, I guess. "Something something THE COMING TRILLION DOLLAR WEALTH TRANSFER". No, seriously.

https://www.retailecommerceventures.com

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Xaris posted:

good news

libs have been cheer-leading for repealing 230 for awhile now, the only reason there was tepid opposition was because big wet daddy was also for it which was persona-non-grata. now hes out of the picture biden, with very helpful backing of republicans whom are mad about "conservative censorship" and all the libs who want to stop "unwoke hatespeech and russian bots corrupting democracy", it's pretty closely on the chopping block

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/26/22250746/biden-gina-raimondo-commerce-secretary-section-230

Killing social media because people say bad things about them lmao

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Dolphin posted:

Okay, so if you buy a put option the option doesn't have to be in the money when you sell it, just a better bet than when you purchased it, is that right?

well if it's close to the closing date and not in the money it will be basically worth zero.

But yes, you can sell it (which is what you should do). There's a time (theta) and volatility premium on every option

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I'm not going to name the stock because it would be idiotic to invest in it and I am not suggesting anyone even remotely consider it...

But there is a public oil and gas company doing energy exploration in Israel. You may ask yourself, why would an oil and gas company be doing energy exploration in Israel, they don't have any oil and gas. Well just about every scientist in oil & gas would agree with you, but the founder had a biblical vision that god provided oil & gas to the Jewish people, so he was able to form a public company and sell shares in a oil & gas company to Christians that believe his biblical vision because WTF?

Three Olives has issued a correction as of 23:18 on Jan 27, 2021

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

What a day. I made some guaranteed money on AMC by buying in yesterday, and accidentally bought Nokia at $7.50 during that spike (forgetting to make it a limit order), so I'm ahead about 700 bucks. But I'm happy to let that one ride along with the rest of my AMC shares. It's totally riveting and how the gently caress do people do this for 5 days a week. No wonder they all do coke

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dolphin posted:

dont do options

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Gazpacho posted:

how is blockbuster still unresolved after 10 years, we’re not talking about Lehman brothers here

It takes a long time to liquidate all these dvds brotha

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I dunno if it is the same worldwide but afterhours trading is basically big institutional firms playground time and not indicative of the mob rule mania moment we are living in

so hedge funds can do maneuvers to try and scare small buyers and stuff like that

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nothus posted:

Killing social media because people say bad things about them lmao
yerah the future owns

(actual big social media will probably be fine, they have enough strings campaign donations to get thrown onto the Trusted Internet Platform Act Exemption List and an army of lawyers whereas all the smaller social media wont)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gazpacho posted:

i assume the mafia is involved