Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Thundarr posted:

The fact that there are three different types of structures and none of them line up nicely with each other has always been wild as hell

It's standard as-a-service game design. You build the things needed for this specific patch and ignore all other content. Maybe at some point they'll drop a content patch that's focused on building and fix this (and bigger supply depots, and more industry, and a bigger object limit, and...) but for now it's just as disjointed as the other systems.

It'd be lame of me to really complain about this given the amount of entertainment I derived from breaking their systems to make money. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

it's kind of weird to me that after all the stuff they have added to the game over the last few years there are still no options to customize any aspect of your spaceship's appearance. even your ground vehicles you can now at least paint different colors. putting ships together out of different components or at least, simply being able to change their color scheme seems like a pretty basic thing we should have had a long time ago. is it something they are intentionally avoiding?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
my best guess is that they're afraid it'll devalue finding cool ships in the wild. or maybe it's omitted in the spirit of their 'every atom procedural' thing? whatever the case i agree with you. at least limited color options would be neat.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I've got about 11 hours in and working my way through the story and having fun. I have an A-class ship and multitool and around 10 mil in credits, and I was just gifted about 150 million in credits and a dozen ship upgrade slots from a random dude in the space station. Any negatives to buying and pimping out an S class ship and tool? Obviously, they're better but will it trivialize the main storyline?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Canuckistan posted:

I've got about 11 hours in and working my way through the story and having fun. I have an A-class ship and multitool and around 10 mil in credits, and I was just gifted about 150 million in credits and a dozen ship upgrade slots from a random dude in the space station. Any negatives to buying and pimping out an S class ship and tool? Obviously, they're better but will it trivialize the main storyline?

Not in the slightest. You can complete the main storyline(s) with basic poo poo, the upgraded multitool/ship may make it a bit faster/easier, but not near trivial like a rocket launcher at the start of doom1 would be for instance.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'd say the biggest difference you can make is slapping 3 engine upgrades on the motorcycle to scoot around planets

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

it's kind of weird to me that after all the stuff they have added to the game over the last few years there are still no options to customize any aspect of your spaceship's appearance. even your ground vehicles you can now at least paint different colors. putting ships together out of different components or at least, simply being able to change their color scheme seems like a pretty basic thing we should have had a long time ago. is it something they are intentionally avoiding?

There is a balance between sandbox and discovery in the game - you can build and do whatever you want, however you want/you can endlessly explore a functionally infinite number of planets and star systems.

I think ships and multitools fall on the Discovery Side of the equation by design. Its neat to know you have a super unique starship that you found and that you like and that may be the only one exactly like it in the universe that anyone else has ever found.

Edit: and since Upgrading ships only allowed you to bypass the grind of save-scumming for perfect slots/class, it doesn't cut into the Discovery aspect of ship hunting.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

blarzgh posted:

I think ships and multitools fall on the Discovery Side of the equation by design. Its neat to know you have a super unique starship that you found and that you like and that may be the only one exactly like it in the universe that anyone else has ever found.

i've been playing this game since launch and every single spaceship i've seen just looks like a very slight variation of one of a few "types" made of the same components in very slightly different configurations. including the exotic ones. so i can't really say i've experienced the feeling of having a "super unique starship" but it does seem like it would be fun to play around with those components myself and see what i could put together

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I don't think it has ever been effective at making you feel like you've found a unique ship and as it stands imo it's not possible. Even if they added twice as many core designs. Perhaps a large part of the issue is seeing all sorts of ships constantly flying in and out of stations/the anomaly. You've already seen most base designs multiple times two or three hours in.

Not sure of there's a good solution either. They're probably a bit limited with how rare they can make things by people expecting new features to be accessible/obtainable. Living Ships aren't even that easy to get but they're already all over.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I immediately turned off multiplayer before I even got to the anomaly and don't regret it

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Gaspy Conana posted:

my best guess is that they're afraid it'll devalue finding cool ships in the wild. or maybe it's omitted in the spirit of their 'every atom procedural' thing? whatever the case i agree with you. at least limited color options would be neat.

This idea was crippled as of the original release because they tied cargo hold size to a small number of ship parts, which immediately made every ship without the right type of wings Bad. Even today this still persists somewhat in terms of how much effort it takes to max out cargo size if you happen to think a Bad ship looks cool.

It's another case where the best option would be to say welp, glass the system, and build it back up the right way (either let us build ships out of parts or have ship stats be 100% separated from ship parts or both), but they never ended up going that route.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

^^^ the retail release was worse. Get ship, get beacon to broken ship, get a random chance of getting like +1-3 extra slots over current ship, repair, go to next beacon. Repeat until you find a lovely-looking ship that has max slots. Nothing else mattered on the ship and classes were purely cosmetic.

The ship/freighter/tool thing is just like weird worlds or wacky bases - they exist so you can share them. If you add customization a lot of that indirect multiplayer and out-of-game community goes away.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 2, 2021

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mailer posted:

The ship/freighter/tool thing is just like weird worlds or wacky bases - they exist so you can share them. If you add customization a lot of that indirect multiplayer and out-of-game community goes away.

couldn't they just make it so that if you build your own ship you have the option to make that ship shareable with other players? or it becomes one of the "random" ships that lives in that particular system or something for other players to find

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Mailer posted:

^^^ the retail release was worse. Get ship, get beacon to broken ship, get a random chance of getting like +1-3 extra slots over current ship, repair, go to next beacon. Repeat until you find a lovely-looking ship that has max slots. Nothing else mattered on the ship and classes were purely cosmetic.

I remember the only reason I found a good looking ships that had maxed out slots was because I found a bugged planet that had hundreds of crashed ships. Same thing for the suit slots, I found some bugged planet that only generated drop pods.

I always wished I could scrap a ship to acquire a part (like a cool wing) to swap onto my ship. Some ships I found were nearly perfect but I wanted the cockpit from another ship. That would make ships more personal and still make it so I had to go out and find parts. Also, what my ship ultimately looked like would be somewhat determined by what planets I RNG'd my way into finding along my journey.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I just started playing this last week and am enjoying it quite a bit, jank and all.

I was checking out a system and flew down to this ice planet that had a super high altitude mountain region with this crazy deep perfectly round pit with sheer sides and a lake at the bottom. In the middle of that lake was an island with this one lonely guy just floating around. It was so peaceful and majestic. Truly the greatest life form I have come across to date.

Fluttering around on tiny butterfly wings. He's so messed up, the thumbnail of him in the discovery menu doesn't even display him. He's so low down there you can just see the tips of his wings for some reason.

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 6, 2021

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Squibbles posted:

I just started playing this last week and am enjoying it quite a bit, jank and all.

I was checking out a system and flew down to this ice planet that had a super high altitude mountain region with this crazy deep perfectly round pit with sheer sides and a lake at the bottom. In the middle of that lake was an island with this one lonely guy just floating around. It was so peaceful and majestic. Truly the greatest life form I have come across to date.

Fluttering around on tiny butterfly wings. He's so messed up, the thumbnail of him in the discovery menu doesn't even display him. He's so low down there you can just see the tips of his wings for some reason.

He is beautiful, your new son.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I haven't played since, I think, Next update and logged back in. I have a lovely ship (easily rectified by cash I already have) but enough multitool upgrades to feel effective and seemed to be partway through the base set up storyline before I last logged off. I have a basic exocraft without any equipment or upgrades. I've got a basic solar set up plugged into my old utility base and am now kind of paralyzed by choice. What's the best bang for my time investment to look at next?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Keep doing the base and npc kiosk quest chains. Do the Atlas and Artemis (especially the latter) quest chains when they come up. There really isn't an essential progression path aside from Artemis, and that's only essential because it unlocks the ability to go find cool ships/tools/freighters that other people have found.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
So i set up emeril and reg/activated cadmium farms yesterday and was gonna do the same with reg/activated indium. Was all set on a pretty nice activated indium planet to start exploring, but as soon as a storm started my entire screen was just filled with gray nothing and flashing artifact (on pc). I dug into the ground and it seemed ok so it must be the storm itself causing the game to poo poo itself. I eventually got my ship back, saved, restarted and it seemed ok, world looks crazy as heck, and then boom it happened again when a storm hit. gently caress that place! Went off planet and to another frozen hell world, and I couldnt even land - screen started doing the same thing. Anyone else just find a broken system that does that? I've had graphical issues like everyone who has ever played this game but drat - has anyone else had this happen? I want my indium!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Iron Lung posted:

So i set up emeril and reg/activated cadmium farms yesterday and was gonna do the same with reg/activated indium. Was all set on a pretty nice activated indium planet to start exploring, but as soon as a storm started my entire screen was just filled with gray nothing and flashing artifact (on pc). I dug into the ground and it seemed ok so it must be the storm itself causing the game to poo poo itself. I eventually got my ship back, saved, restarted and it seemed ok, world looks crazy as heck, and then boom it happened again when a storm hit. gently caress that place! Went off planet and to another frozen hell world, and I couldnt even land - screen started doing the same thing. Anyone else just find a broken system that does that? I've had graphical issues like everyone who has ever played this game but drat - has anyone else had this happen? I want my indium!

Depending on how it looked this may be hardware failure

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Slimy Hog posted:

Depending on how it looked this may be hardware failure

I dont think so but that would suck a lot. It seemed completely bugged and I didn't notice any other issues going on. Guess I'll see soon. It was basically like the ground would render and I could see stuff in like a 1u radius but everywhere the storm was touching was unable to render. The landing on the second planet was completely bugged, and it seemed like the game itself was loving up but I guess it could be hardware related. Especially because after a reload it was totally fine until the storm hit and the exact same thing happened.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

There are heavy storms that reduce visibility to almost nil and the "flashing artifacts" could describe how distant lightning strikes look when you're in one.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

If it's not hardware, and is just an especially weird rear end storm planet, make sure to build a glass observatory and drop a comm ball on it. Then find a portal so everyone else gets to see it. :)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

One way to tell if it's an intended effect is to go into photo mode while you're in the storm. It sounds like you've found a planet that maxes out fog density when a storm rolls in, and that should be visible (and adjustable) in the settings when in photo mode.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Yeah I thought of that this morning, but I left right after I loaded up my game. I'll take a peek again though. The other planet that wasnt working worked, so I started the activated indium mine - on a B grade deposit, only one I could find near power :(. New planet rules, it has Electric Rain and huge loving tornados that shoot you into the sky, its a blast haha. What a dumb fun game.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

drat i miss this game and my funny little ship

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Poniard posted:

drat i miss this game and my funny little ship

For a game about infinite procedural generation, I have to ask how're you talking about my ship so...intimately.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

New update makes this run a shitload better on PSVR on PS5, but there still isn't a way to transfer your save from PS5 to PS4. Damnit Sean, I want to continue my PS5 save in VR, I don't want to go back to early December before my PS5 arrived.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

At least you've been able to get a PS5! I keep telling myself I'll play more NMS once I am able to port it over to a shiny new console but here I am, in late January, still PS5-less. :negative:

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Is there anything in the endgame that I'm missing? Honestly I just get drunk and wander the galaxy until I'm bored enough to log off. I have great ships, multitool and everything, it just seems so...bland after that's all done

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

how is there an "endgame"? i thought the whole point of the game was just getting high and looking at planets and building weird poo poo on them. the end is whenever you get tired of that. even if you go to the center of the galaxy it just goes to another galaxy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No, that's pretty much it. Your endgame goals are to build the best base, build the best ship, or reach the center of the galaxy, and you can do all of those as many times as you want. It does eventually become a pure sightseeing game, which is ironically what it already was at launch when everyone hated it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

haveblue posted:

No, that's pretty much it. Your endgame goals are to build the best base, build the best ship, or reach the center of the galaxy, and you can do all of those as many times as you want. It does eventually become a pure sightseeing game, which is ironically what it already was at launch when everyone hated it.

at least there are actual sights to see now. imo one of the biggest problems at launch was that you were meant to be exploring billions of planets but they all look like a handful of the same types over and over again. thats still kind of true, but there are more planet types now and they are more interesting and theyve definitely improved the kinds of weird animals and storms and such you can encounter. a sightseeing game is only as good as its sights

ive always hoped they would start adding different biomes to a planet as well so that planets didnt look basically the same no matter which part you visit but have actual polar caps and desert vs jungle regions and permastorm areas and so on. maybe next update

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Ok well that answers that. But I do enjoy getting drunk and just wandering around, especially with covid and all that.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Earwicker posted:

at least there are actual sights to see now. imo one of the biggest problems at launch was that you were meant to be exploring billions of planets but they all look like a handful of the same types over and over again. thats still kind of true, but there are more planet types now and they are more interesting and theyve definitely improved the kinds of weird animals and storms and such you can encounter. a sightseeing game is only as good as its sights

ive always hoped they would start adding different biomes to a planet as well so that planets didnt look basically the same no matter which part you visit but have actual polar caps and desert vs jungle regions and permastorm areas and so on. maybe next update

Can't stress enough that this is my issue, sure every planet is *slightly* different, but not different enough after you've jumped through four or five systems. I'm also surprised at the lack of (Jupiter-like) gas planets considering they can make for extremely attractive backdrops (and maybe interesting gameplay mechanics.)

I also think if they cut down on the amount of planets with fauna/flora in any given system, it'd be a lot more interesting per jump. Our system only has one life-habitat planet (that we know of) while NMS makes it so 99% of planets are inhabited in some form.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Tetrabor posted:

I also think if they cut down on the amount of planets with fauna/flora in any given system, it'd be a lot more interesting per jump. Our system only has one life-habitat planet (that we know of) while NMS makes it so 99% of planets are inhabited in some form.

This was one of the things changed since launch due to player complaints, planets with life on them are much more common. Used to be quite a lot more barren planets.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Tetrabor posted:

Can't stress enough that this is my issue, sure every planet is *slightly* different, but not different enough after you've jumped through four or five systems. I'm also surprised at the lack of (Jupiter-like) gas planets considering they can make for extremely attractive backdrops (and maybe interesting gameplay mechanics.)

Its not a simulation of our own universe?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tetrabor posted:

i assume the lack of gas giants is due to them not wanting to really deal with gravity in a substantial way. they are hundreds of times bigger than regular planets and have absolutely crushing gravitational fields and massive permanent storms etc.

same reason there aren't any actual stars in the game, every system has 1-3 stars but they are just part of the skybox and you cant navigate towards them, neither their heat nor gravitational fields are modelled in the game and the planets dont actually orbit anything. and whether a planet is hot or cold etc has nothing to do with its position in the system, its random.

almost every planet is somewhere between the venus to mars spectrum basically, except that there are no planets like earth with different biomes on them

Tetrabor posted:

Our system only has one life-habitat planet (that we know of) while NMS makes it so 99% of planets are inhabited in some form.

i dont mind that since habited planets are more interesting, though i wish there was a bit more variation in how its done. like actual cities and roads somewhere. or habitation that looks more old than having just been built by recent space travellers. the huge archival buildings from the most recent update are a good start on that.

blarzgh posted:

Its not a simulation of our own universe?

i think the problem is that its a simulation of a much more boring and repetitive universe than ours. although like i said, the origins update has helped a lot

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 27, 2021

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Multi-biome planets would be rad as heck, but there may be no way to quality test it properly to avoid getting billions of planets with random, scrambled biomes that make even less sense than single-biome planets. It may or may not be possible to add in constraints like "only allow X biome in this latitude range".

Also it'd 100% for sure blow up nearly every existing player base if they made that big of a change to the worldgen. Definitely something I'd like to see them to if they ever decide to make NMS 2 instead of iterating on the existing game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Thundarr posted:

Multi-biome planets would be rad as heck, but there may be no way to quality test it properly to avoid getting billions of planets with random, scrambled biomes that make even less sense than single-biome planets. It may or may not be possible to add in constraints like "only allow X biome in this latitude range".

Also it'd 100% for sure blow up nearly every existing player base if they made that big of a change to the worldgen. Definitely something I'd like to see them to if they ever decide to make NMS 2 instead of iterating on the existing game.

theoretically they could add multibiome planets as a new planet type without loving with any of the existing ones

i dont think there would be a way to do it that "made sense" according to actual astrophysics since planets dont have different areas with different climates and many of them would indeed be random, but that could still be cool especially if they came up with some way to have them mix together on their borders instead of just crossing neatly from one to another