Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Goddamnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Long Walk is unfilmable

How?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I think part of the issue could be the ages of the walkers. They go from fifteen to twenty-one, if I’m not mistaken. It would be a bit difficult to be all “Hey, fund this movie where we show fifty or so minors getting shot in the head”

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

lol I just realised I've only seen the first two or three episodes of The Stand, can't even remember how many, it's just so... bland?

I'll save it for a rainy day when I'm down with the flu or something (heh) and binge it then or watch the inevitable recut.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I think part of the issue could be the ages of the walkers. They go from fifteen to twenty-one, if I’m not mistaken. It would be a bit difficult to be all “Hey, fund this movie where we show fifty or so minors getting shot in the head”

That I could definitely see and agree it could be problematic.

But just make them all old enough to serve in the military and you've solved that potential protest point. Have it be that in the movie you have to be 18. Maybe one kid sneaks in or fakes his age. Hell, it would actually ADD a layer of commentary if you made it so the kids had to choose between TLW, prison or enlisting.

I thought the poster meant "unfilmable" from a technical standpoint or maybe that it'd be too boring but they didn't specify so I dunno. I actually think you could make a good play out of it with a scrolling background, one of those airport walkway treadmill things and some good lighting.

If the concern is that a bunch of kids walking down a road is too redundant or boring, then just cut in flashbacks for each kid showing all the different reasons and ways they got there. Hitchcock made an entire movie set in one apartment. My Dinner With Andre was 2 guys having dinner. Glen Gary Glen Ross took place in a real estate office. It's definitely doable.

The Long Walk is certainly no more "imfilmable" than The Stand, IT or the Shining.

And, from the looks of things, The Stand is apparently pretty loving unfilmable.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
It's kind of crazy to me how bad The Stand adaptations have ended up. Is there a reason why they've tried to do it as a miniseries instead of a full length tv show with multiple seasons? I think 3ish seasons featuring the plague, the gathering of people to LV/Boulder, and the final showdown could be pretty good and would give enough screen time for things to have weight and matter. But instead it seems like they just want to blast through the story in as short a time as possible and gather as many B list actors as they can to try and sell it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Taeke posted:

lol I just realised I've only seen the first two or three episodes of The Stand, can't even remember how many, it's just so... bland?

The bad news and good news is it's now too outlandishly bad to be called bland

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

BiggerBoat posted:

That I could definitely see and agree it could be problematic.

But just make them all old enough to serve in the military and you've solved that potential protest point. Have it be that in the movie you have to be 18. Maybe one kid sneaks in or fakes his age. Hell, it would actually ADD a layer of commentary if you made it so the kids had to choose between TLW, prison or enlisting.

I thought the poster meant "unfilmable" from a technical standpoint or maybe that it'd be too boring but they didn't specify so I dunno. I actually think you could make a good play out of it with a scrolling background, one of those airport walkway treadmill things and some good lighting.

If the concern is that a bunch of kids walking down a road is too redundant or boring, then just cut in flashbacks for each kid showing all the different reasons and ways they got there. Hitchcock made an entire movie set in one apartment. My Dinner With Andre was 2 guys having dinner. Glen Gary Glen Ross took place in a real estate office. It's definitely doable.

The Long Walk is certainly no more "imfilmable" than The Stand, IT or the Shining.

And, from the looks of things, The Stand is apparently pretty loving unfilmable.

Your solution to The Long Walk being unfilmable is to just add a bunch of stuff that isn't in the story. Yeah you can do that with literally anything.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Shining is his best book and The Long Walk is unfilmable

The Long Walk is unfilmable, but his best book is Pet Sematary.

As to why it's unfilmable, I just feel like it wouldn't translate very well to a film. :shrug: Can't see it turning out to be a good movie. However, I also think it's essentially unmarketable, what with it being a movie that's essentially "teenagers go for a long forced march and are occasionally shot in the head."

Khizan fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 24, 2021

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
I'm still hoping for a Revival series... there was talk of a movie but I don't think 2 hours is enough to cover it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I don't think The Jaunt would be filmable. There would be the urge to go all the ending of 2001 trying to show what actually happens inside the jaunting process.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Mister Kingdom posted:

I don't think The Jaunt would be filmable. There would be the urge to go all the ending of 2001 trying to show what actually happens inside the jaunting process.

IT guy was making it last i knew

https://sciencefiction.com/2019/09/17/andy-muschietti-is-still-set-to-adapt-stephen-kings-the-jaunt-as-a-feature-film/

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

If they can't make Long Walk without flashbacks then they shouldn't make it.

Also Jaunt seems like something that doesn't need to be a 1.5-2 hour feature film but excelsior I guess.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Jaunt would probably be best as a twilight zone or outer limits episode

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Any attempt at The Jaunt movie would be longer than you think.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
If the Jaunt doesn’t include at least an hour of nothing but a black screen with no sound, don’t make it.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

E.G.G.S. posted:

lol

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

E.G.G.S. posted:

Stephen King: Any attempt at The Jaunt movie would be longer than you think

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Your solution to The Long Walk being unfilmable is to just add a bunch of stuff that isn't in the story. Yeah you can do that with literally anything.

A "bunch"? Movie adaptations always make changes. Making everyone 18 or older isn't that drastic a change and using flashbacks is just a story telling device. IIRC, the kids talk about their back stories during the walk.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Canuckistan posted:

Mods please.

Also making it so the walkers had a choice between jail/walking/enlisting would be terrible since it cuts out the question of “why did you do this”? HellF Garritty isn’t even sure why exactly he signed up.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't Hunger Games, which made I don't even know how many movies, just a bunch of kids doing a long walk last-man-standing murderfest in various settings? No need to answer this in good faith because I honestly couldn't give a poo poo about the games of hunger.

I'm only really asking, weren't they highly successful, full of young kids getting offed by other young kids, and people loved that dystopian poo poo?

TLW is infinitely better but it's slow-paced (plot-wise, more of a slow burn) walking and talking with the increasingly frequent culling. Start the story with some stuff about how the walk came to be, introducing the main characters and their motivations for participating, do some world-building especially with the little towns the walk passes through and the family members and rubberneckers there to cheer on/jeer at their walkers.

[E] - Also, I could see making a big deal out of the family dynamics of the parents and their walkin' dudes, some being super proud, others resigned, some pissed off, then having to actually sign them up, take them to the start line, and show the grimness of the stakes and the resolve of the walkers, who somehow become friendly during this horrible ordeal.

I could see how you could keep all the elements of the original story and flesh it out to be compelling.

Also, that Jaunt joke slayed me, thanks for that. It was perfect.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 25, 2021

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

I haven't seen The Hunger Games but I think the tone is what makes it acceptable. It's more like an action movie people dying in fights (guessing from seeing the commercials) rather than a more grim just being executed style of dying. And I presume with the good guys winning at the end so the struggle was worth it all?

I liked the first couple episodes of The Stand but the more it goes on I like it less and less. It's clear now it's all going to focus on after the pandemic when society is already gone but the good part of the book was the slow breakdown of society. Also I hate the new Trashcan Man. The show is bad now but I'm still gonna finish it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hunger Games is more Battle Royale political allegory and action than The Long Walk.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mat Cauthon posted:

the way your talent means piss all if you allow it to be the thing that drives you towards harmful rationalizations.

Shelley Duvall nods.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Canuckistan posted:

Yes please.

I have been given a copy of The Institute so I guess it's time to read it. This one kinda sucks right? I think that was general consensus when it came out

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I remember hearing someone say The Jaunt and maybe a few other King short stories would be good in an anthology type collection like Love, Death, and Robots on Netflix.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
A limited anthology series where the short story Graveyard Shift is the framing device. Random junk they find while cleaning out the basement of the old mill leads into adaptations of other Stephen King stories.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

that's why I thought Nightmares and Dreamscapes was good

just a miniseries where each one was one of King's short stories

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmares_%26_Dreamscapes:_From_the_Stories_of_Stephen_King

there's a lot of good short stories that would be good in this format but not as an entire movie

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

bobjr posted:

I remember hearing someone say The Jaunt and maybe a few other King short stories would be good in an anthology type collection like Love, Death, and Robots on Netflix.

Yeah I agree with that. Given that popularity of stuff like VHS, Trick r Treat, etc there's definitely a desire for horror anthologies and something with King's name on it would do numbers assuming it wasn't absolutely garbage. Wonder why no one has taken a shot at it yet.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah I agree with that. Given that popularity of stuff like VHS, Trick r Treat, etc there's definitely a desire for horror anthologies and something with King's name on it would do numbers assuming it wasn't absolutely garbage. Wonder why no one has taken a shot at it yet.

If you're looking for short story adaptations...

We've got Creepshow TV (which the two movies were 80% King stories, never mind the 3rd that doesn't count) which is doing a King adaptation a season currently, and it was hugely sold on doing King stuff. Before that, we had Nightmares and Dreamscapes which did an excellent adaptation of The End of the Whole Mess and a good Battleground (and mixed results from the other 6 adaptations). Cats Eye is another short story anthology of his. Monsters and Tales from The Darkside did a few of his stories like Gramma and Crawling Finger and the Twilight Zone reboot #1 and Outer Limits reboots grabbed a couple of his stories. Castle Rock is also stealing things from the short stories to stick in episodes/the surrounding town, but that's not really the same.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Darko posted:

we had Nightmares and Dreamscapes which did an excellent adaptation of The End of the Whole Mess and a good Battleground (and mixed results from the other 6 adaptations).

The KingCast podcast (which I've shilled before) just had a great episode discussion Battleground with Fed Raskin, Tarantino's film editor. It made me go yesterday to YouTube and watch the adaptation of Battleground. It's very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_9TrvNzxWA

Help me, thread. I've been thinking about The Dead Zone, and there's a bit in it, whether the book, or the film, I can't remember, but there's a bit where Johnny Smith is talking (about literature? To his literature class?) about a book that they're reading, and it's about someone who disappears, and it's about being a normal man who owed no one any money, and how no one would miss him.

Does that ring bells? Can anyone find me the passage? I can't find it on the Amazon Look Inside feature. :(

Thank you!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

This is from IMDb quotes

I keep thinking about a line from a book. It's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow"; the last thing I gave my class to read before... the accident. Ichabod Crane disappears.; the line goes: "As he was a bachelor, and in nobody's debt, nobody troubled their head about him anymore."

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Darko posted:

If you're looking for short story adaptations...

We've got Creepshow TV (which the two movies were 80% King stories, never mind the 3rd that doesn't count) which is doing a King adaptation a season currently, and it was hugely sold on doing King stuff. Before that, we had Nightmares and Dreamscapes which did an excellent adaptation of The End of the Whole Mess and a good Battleground (and mixed results from the other 6 adaptations). Cats Eye is another short story anthology of his. Monsters and Tales from The Darkside did a few of his stories like Gramma and Crawling Finger and the Twilight Zone reboot #1 and Outer Limits reboots grabbed a couple of his stories. Castle Rock is also stealing things from the short stories to stick in episodes/the surrounding town, but that's not really the same.

That Creepshow is one I've been meaning to check out. I don't think I even knew that Nightmares and Dreamscapes series existed. Appreciate the heads-up!

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

This is from IMDb quotes

That's it, of course - thank you.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Teach posted:

The KingCast podcast (which I've shilled before) just had a great episode discussion Battleground with Fed Raskin, Tarantino's film editor. It made me go yesterday to YouTube and watch the adaptation of Battleground. It's very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_9TrvNzxWA

Help me, thread. I've been thinking about The Dead Zone, and there's a bit in it, whether the book, or the film, I can't remember, but there's a bit where Johnny Smith is talking (about literature? To his literature class?) about a book that they're reading, and it's about someone who disappears, and it's about being a normal man who owed no one any money, and how no one would miss him.

Does that ring bells? Can anyone find me the passage? I can't find it on the Amazon Look Inside feature. :(

Thank you!

I'm pretty sure this has to be the movie because I don't think that you ever see Johnny teach a class in the book. IIRC, he has his date with Sarah and then the car accident right away at the start, and then he never works as a teacher again.

Never seen it, though, so I can't say for sure.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Be a nice touch if the line I was thinking of was from the film and was not from the book.

But that's certainly the bit I was thinking about. And my copy of The Dead Zone is 3000 miles away, in a box, in an attic. (I knew the thread would come through for me.)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Khizan posted:

I'm pretty sure this has to be the movie because I don't think that you ever see Johnny teach a class in the book. IIRC, he has his date with Sarah and then the car accident right away at the start, and then he never works as a teacher again.

Never seen it, though, so I can't say for sure.

I just watched the movie and the book he reads his class is The Raven. Maybe the series?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Did none of y'all read oldpainless' post immediately after the question?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pope Corky the IX posted:

98. Garraty wins and doesn’t get shot though he probably dies soon after, and Olsen gets gut shot to make an example of. Even the ones that die in other ways still get domed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Doesn’t the hunger games have much younger ages for their death game? I’m not sure at the level of violence they say and show, but it wouldn’t be out of the question if it was all legally adult men.