Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Punkin Spunkin posted:

??? Lol
Weirdo

You clearly didn't actually watch the documentary if you don't even understand what "pink boy" means.

Mostly I was just trying to poke fun at you politely for being kind of a dick about it. Your post was not very chill my duder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

frogbs posted:

I should probably give it another try, but I remember being really turned off by the kind of soap operay acting in the first episode, I think mostly from a guy wearing a dumb hat. That and all the sci-if world building ‘space bucks’ lingo. Maybe I was just in the wrong mood for it, but I bounced off it hard.

Should I give it another shot?

I didn't really care for season 1 all that much to be honest. Like Breaking Bad, the show gets better as it goes along and the characters acquire hefty dramatic inertia that plays out in really compelling ways. Season 2 is great and Season 3 is, in my opinion, the best season of Sci-Fi ever.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
To be fair, it is a dumb hat, and this is acknowledged in-universe

The Expanse is freaking good stuff though, stick with it. S1 is a bit rough but S2 onward don't let up for a second

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The main problem with The Expanse, as I see it, is they introduce new plotlines way before they're needed and then those kind of tread water taking away screentime from where the action is and also making it harder for new viewers to understand what is going on. I'm rewatching season 1 with my wife right now and it's super bad in the early episodes. Like, did you really need to introduce three different plots in the pilot alone? Eventually it all slots together but it really requires patience from the audience.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I wanna watch the Expanse, but I'd have to rewatch the first three seasons because I don't remember anything about them. Thomas Jane rules, though.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The first season is always worth a re-watch for all the background. They even had more tall skinny actors play belters.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Class Warcraft posted:

The main problem with The Expanse, as I see it, is they introduce new plotlines way before they're needed and then those kind of tread water taking away screentime from where the action is and also making it harder for new viewers to understand what is going on. I'm rewatching season 1 with my wife right now and it's super bad in the early episodes. Like, did you really need to introduce three different plots in the pilot alone? Eventually it all slots together but it really requires patience from the audience.

If it felt like they were early, that's because they were often introduced in the show before they were introduced in the books.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Keyser_Soze posted:

The first season is always worth a re-watch for all the background. They even had more tall skinny actors play belters.

Yeah the first season felt way more polished casting wise in particular

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Enjoying S2 of Blown Away, but we have the same complaint we had about S1: 30 minute episodes just aren’t long enough. There needs to be much more detail about the development of each piece and the the techniques. It’s really disappointing, because with more time to breathe it could be another Forged in Fire.

Also, specifically regarding S2: Holy poo poo can Chris go gently caress himself. Christ, what an rear end in a top hat!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
They're really good at casting completely hateable actors for the Marcos contingent of the OPA.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I'm in the mood for some really classic fantasy: Conan-style swords-and-sandals, or something with wizards or dragons. It doesn't have to be high-quality, and honestly schlock might be preferable. Something like Conan or Krull would be nice (although not those in particular, since I've already seen them). Any ideas?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Documentary on Prime about card counting called Inside the Edge, it's very fascinating

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

GD_American posted:

They're really good at casting completely hateable actors for the Marcos contingent of the OPA.

I don't know how Naomi isn't punching that guy and the kid ever time she gets near them

Mythic Quest has some good chuckles..........

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
The first three episodes of Alice in Borderland are pretty drat fun so far. It does one thing correct that a lot of gimmick manga adaptations fault at: Don't waste my time. The setup for the show is 10 minutes, and backstories are a minute long. The characters are paper thin tropes but that doesn't matter when they only serve to be delivery systems for action and mystery. The Borderland is the only actually character.

Watch it if you liked the movie Cube, but taking place in all of Shibuya

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Thundercracker posted:

The first three episodes of Alice in Borderland are pretty drat fun so far. It does one thing correct that a lot of gimmick manga adaptations fault at: Don't waste my time. The setup for the show is 10 minutes, and backstories are a minute long. The characters are paper thin tropes but that doesn't matter when they only serve to be delivery systems for action and mystery. The Borderland is the only actually character.

Watch it if you liked the movie Cube, but taking place in all of Shibuya

I just looked this up and apparently the plot is basically The World Ends With You, and thats my jam.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

My biggest problem with The Expanse was the earth president lady. Her accent bothered me, her acting bothered me, her storylines were boring.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Holy poo poo lol Search Party season 3 Eldad Tupper

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Keyser_Soze posted:

I don't know how Naomi isn't punching that guy and the kid ever time she gets near them

They're annoying but not even the ones I'm thinking of. The turncoats, specifically. Jesus christ, are they infuriating

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

DorianGravy posted:

I'm in the mood for some really classic fantasy: Conan-style swords-and-sandals, or something with wizards or dragons. It doesn't have to be high-quality, and honestly schlock might be preferable. Something like Conan or Krull would be nice (although not those in particular, since I've already seen them). Any ideas?

A little off the mark, but the Spartacus show is my absolutely favorite of all premium network shows, and the level of style and polish it has pretty much makes it a fantastical story. The first season is a wonderfully contained story, and the subsequent ones are more of what you are looking for, schmaltzy fights, epic plot lines, boobs etc. It was on Netflix for a long while, not sure where it’s streaming now.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Also going to reccomend The Expanse and echo it is top TV sci-fi of all time. It is only surpassed by BSG and Star Trek for me.

Besides the amazing comso-political drama and social commentary, the simple adherence to gravity is such an amazing and special aspect of the shows thrills and tension.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DorianGravy posted:

I don't know where you'd find it on streaming but The Magic Sword (1962) should scratch that itch if you can

e: the whole film is on youtube

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

AccountSupervisor posted:

Besides the amazing comso-political drama and social commentary, the simple adherence to gravity is such an amazing and special aspect of the shows thrills and tension.

Why do the small space ships just have Earth gravity 99% of the time?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

smackfu posted:

Why do the small space ships just have Earth gravity 99% of the time?

It's explained as from the thrust from the g-forces, and magnetic boots that keep them locked to the floor. Every now and then they'll remind the audience that they're in low or no gravity by showing a character struggle to pour a drink, or losing grip on a tool and have it fly away from them.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Brocktoon posted:

Enjoying S2 of Blown Away, but we have the same complaint we had about S1: 30 minute episodes just aren’t long enough. There needs to be much more detail about the development of each piece and the the techniques. It’s really disappointing, because with more time to breathe it could be another Forged in Fire.

Also, specifically regarding S2: Holy poo poo can Chris go gently caress himself. Christ, what an rear end in a top hat!

Yeah, the first few seconds in when Chris was introduced I knew right away he could go gently caress himself. Subsequent episodes in only has reinforced that feeling greatly.

Definitely needs to go into more detail. A lot of times you are like "how in the heck did they get that pattern"?

But overall, not much manufactured drama or gimmicks like other shows.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Question, does a bad ending ruin an otherwise good show?

Take Lost (streaming on Prime) for example. I was obsessed with the show for years, followed the TVIV thread here religiously for years as we all picked apart all the clues in each episode to try and figure out what it all meant. I was as into the internet fan culture as I was into the show. But when we got to the end and learned that absolutely nothing mattered and that they never actually had a plan all along certainly made me lose a lot of enthusiasm for the show. I did end up rewatching the show during quarantine, and while there are definitely a lot of great episodes, it's no longer on my list of shows that I encourage people to check out.

Game of Thrones (streaming on HBO) on the other hand. A lot of people were very angry about that ending, and say that it ruined the show for them. Not for me though. Like Lost, I was very involved online in trying to figure out the end game. But, even if they fumbled the ending, I don't think it ruined the show for me overall. I also rewatched it during quarantine, and it's still probably the best fantasy show to ever hit television, and often reached the heights of the best fantasy films out there.

I guess my answer is, it depends, but I'm curious to hear other people's thoughts.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

DorianGravy posted:

Beastmaster's on Prime.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Nihonniboku posted:

Question, does a bad ending ruin an otherwise good show?

Take Lost (streaming on Prime) for example. I was obsessed with the show for years, followed the TVIV thread here religiously for years as we all picked apart all the clues in each episode to try and figure out what it all meant. I was as into the internet fan culture as I was into the show. But when we got to the end and learned that absolutely nothing mattered and that they never actually had a plan all along certainly made me lose a lot of enthusiasm for the show. I did end up rewatching the show during quarantine, and while there are definitely a lot of great episodes, it's no longer on my list of shows that I encourage people to check out.

Game of Thrones (streaming on HBO) on the other hand. A lot of people were very angry about that ending, and say that it ruined the show for them. Not for me though. Like Lost, I was very involved online in trying to figure out the end game. But, even if they fumbled the ending, I don't think it ruined the show for me overall. I also rewatched it during quarantine, and it's still probably the best fantasy show to ever hit television, and often reached the heights of the best fantasy films out there.

I guess my answer is, it depends, but I'm curious to hear other people's thoughts.

I think in the case of Game of Thrones, the early seasons are disconnected enough from the last few seasons that you can fully enjoy those without feeling like everything you're seeing is pointless. With Lost, it's tougher because almost everything was tied to the overall mystery of the island and so when that came to an unsatisfying conclusion(in some people's opinion), the whole series became less compelling.

So that's the distinction I'd make. Some shows really make an effort to give each season it's own arc, and so the good seasons will always be worth watching. The Lost example is actually pretty rare, most shows don't string you along for that long based on one or two unanswered questions. But I could also see how someone might feel that way about GoT because some of the character arcs really weren't completed until the final season. I imagine watching Danny wander through the desert in Season 1 is tough to get through when you know how lame her story ends up.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Basebf555 posted:

So that's the distinction I'd make. Some shows really make an effort to give each season it's own arc, and so the good seasons will always be worth watching. The Lost example is actually pretty rare, most shows don't string you along for that long based on one or two unanswered questions.

To that, I'll give Lost credit for the current state of quality television. Before, networks would just keep renewing shows until the ratings no longer justified it. Like, look at X-Files. They just had to keep making crap up, because Fox was going to move forward even if the cast wasn't willing to anymore. Lost, they forced ABC to agree to stop after six seasons so they could at least start planning an ending. And people look to Lost storytelling failures, and now you're getting all these shows now where even before the show films its pilot, they have a plan for the story arcs for each season going forward.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Finding out that Roseanne was all just a story written by Roseanne to cope with her life really ruined the series for me

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Deadite posted:

Finding out that Roseanne was all just a story written by Roseanne to cope with her life really ruined the series for me

Was it the whole series that was just a story or was it just the last season(s)?

edit: https://www.vulture.com/article/new-on-hbo-movies-shows-originals.html

I had no idea HBO Max added all this poo poo in January. Most of it seems to be WB owned stuff they're adding as the streaming rights to them on other platforms have expired.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 28, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Last 4 eps of Search Party dropped and Susan Sarandon is part of the cast now :hellyeah:

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Was it the whole series that was just a story or was it just the last season(s)?

I think it was the whole series but I don’t remember. Mostly I just wanted to remind everyone that the final episode of Roseanne had a twist ending for the series

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Got a dog so I haven’t been able to keep up, but:

The Expanse - I agree this show is great; I appreciate the hard(er) sci-fi angle which is pretty refreshing. Not having shields or artificial gravity changes soooo much. My biggest complaint is probably that the pacing is all over the place, which I assume is a side effect of adapting a book series. It feels like they have so much stuff to get through that some fairly major events have relatively little time spent on them. For example, rearranging the solar system by blowing up Deimos - was the population of earth really OK with that?? The whole Eros collision situation happened super fast too. Season three is probably the best example of this because it feels like two different seasons. This is overall a fairly minor complaint though; I still find it awesome.

I have not watched season 5 yet so no spoilers please, but did they write Cas Anvar out of the show at the end of it? He is unfortunately a sex pest and creep.

Battlestar Galactica - I have really mixed feelings about this show. The first half is great because it’s sorta like a Star Trek Voyager with finite resources. That show gets really heavy with War on Terror metaphors and religious stuff, though. I rewatched it a few years back and ran out of steam after they rescue the colony.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

I have not watched season 5 yet so no spoilers please, but did they write Cas Anvar out of the show at the end of it? He is unfortunately a sex pest and creep.

Season isn't over yet, but it all may have been filmed before he was outed.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Also want to thank thread for the Alone recommendation. I'm on S1E7.

lol at this Alan guy from Georgia. At first I was irritated at him for trying to be some kind of low-rent TV personality. Then after a few days I realize he's just the kind of guy who can't shut up. After 3 weeks he's reciting poetry.

Meanwhile there's 2 guys on the island who are constantly moaning, or crying. One guy who gets very little screentime, but he's straight out of gooncamp. Personality to match. But he's hilarious. Everyone else is like "we're gonna die out here" and he's just playing a game, apparently having a blast. At one point he says his day to day diet is either pizza or pizza rolls. The screen trivia compares the # of calories of a pizza roll versus a field mouse. He also left a pregnant wife at home. I hate to say I imagine this is their best financial prospect.

Shame on me for judging people. But those first couple to leave I was so happy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I randomly watched alone season 6 and it’s great just for watching Jordan. Woniya was good too. Jordan was like the best person I have seen on a survival show though.

I tried watching the other seasons and it just wasn’t doing it for me.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

pumped up for school posted:

Also want to thank thread for the Alone recommendation. I'm on S1E7.

lol at this Alan guy from Georgia. At first I was irritated at him for trying to be some kind of low-rent TV personality. Then after a few days I realize he's just the kind of guy who can't shut up. After 3 weeks he's reciting poetry.

Meanwhile there's 2 guys on the island who are constantly moaning, or crying. One guy who gets very little screentime, but he's straight out of gooncamp. Personality to match. But he's hilarious. Everyone else is like "we're gonna die out here" and he's just playing a game, apparently having a blast. At one point he says his day to day diet is either pizza or pizza rolls. The screen trivia compares the # of calories of a pizza roll versus a field mouse. He also left a pregnant wife at home. I hate to say I imagine this is their best financial prospect.

Shame on me for judging people. But those first couple to leave I was so happy.

I finished Alone season 1 last night and thought it was pretty satisfying (though I did totally skip the recap episode). Alan was chill and cool imho. I'm frankly shocked the pizza roll dude guy lasted as long as he did since he built his shelter in the worst possible place/way, and seemed like he gave up bothering to acquire food in any fashion besides his mouse traps. But also yeah gently caress him for leaving his pregnant wife to be on the show and (ending spoilers)taking 57? days to realize maybe he should be there to support her. I'll probably start season 2 in a day or so.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

pospysyl posted:

Beastmaster's on Prime.

I actually watch Beastmaster recently. Great movie!

Last night I watched Gor. It is a very standard John Carter-type movie, where a nerdy guy is transported to another planet and gets to be the hero. It turned out to be low-budget schlocky fun.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Do any of the Alone contestants ever accidentally get close, I wonder? I guess with the distances between their dropoff points it'd probably never happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They are put far enough away from each other.