Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bonaventure posted:

brits definitely have it: Blackadder series 1 is absolutely ruined by the laugh track, where the canned laughter happens after all the unfunny jokes (most of them), and not after any of the actually good jokes

it grinds my gears

Thankfully they did know to cut that poo poo out for the series 4 finale and my God does it ever work well. The laughter in that episode is more subdued and nervous and its just heartbreaking.

I remember hearing that other countries didn't know where to laugh when watching Corner Gas so they added a laugh track. I dont think other people laughing could ever make Brent Butt funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
UK doesn't count as "other country" though, it's part of the Hollywood system. Kind of the triple A league of Hollywood.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Dark Place is the funniest show ever made.

The first time I saw it I was annoyed by the over the top stupidity (same with Danger 5), then later, I realized I absolutely loved it.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

colonelwest posted:

Also, the second long night should have come in season 7, instead of all of the weird wheel spinning they did and that awful episode where they try to catch a zombie. And it should have been a long and terrible attritional war that went all the way to King’s Landing as Cersie and Baelish were still scheming in the background. All the while thousands of people are starving and freezing to death because the wars for the throne depleted the food supplies. The first dark night lasted for a freaking decade.

The whole show kept being like “yeah all this plotting for the throne is kind of cool, but humanity is loving screwed once the White Walkers come”. But then they come and are defeated in one episode in the lamest way ever, and it turns out the throne was really the important thing all along.

Want to quote and say I agree with this 100%.
Rewatching seasons between new premieres (not to mention how much drat fun it was theorycrafting with friends and internet strangers) had me certain that there would be a last stand type scenario at King's Landing. All our scattershot characters would finally be together, realizing all the political playing put the world in such a fragile state, just as the Night King raises the dead from Blackwater and the Royal Crypts and overwhelms the city. As lovely as Dorne was in S5, I was hoping maybe it was clumsily shoved into the show because in a couple seasons all the living will retreat to the warm climate that's "as far south as south goes" for the Long Night Final Battle. Turns out it was all just a long wet fart noise.
gently caress nepotistic D&D and their sneering "Themes are for eighth-grade book reports" takes.

To quote a different TV show

*~*~liiife is unfaaaiiirrr*~*~

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Long Winter is less scary when you can teleport to fantasy Morocco at will.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The showrunners kind of forgot they could teleport to fantasy Morocco at will.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Show runners forgot they had a job.

It's worse than that, they were completely unqualified with zero experience. GoT was good despite them.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I thought the series was all going to lead up to something but it turns out the writers had just been playing with my rear end the entire time.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

reignofevil posted:

I thought the series was all going to lead up to something but it turns out the writers had just been playing with my rear end the entire time.

Sometimes playing with your rear end for a while leads to a satisfying climax.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

oohhboy posted:

Show runners forgot they had a job.

It's worse than that, they were completely unqualified with zero experience. GoT was good despite them.

They were quite good at running the show- coordinating a multinational production, casting, coming in on time and on budget etc, but they proved quite bad at plotting.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't believe any of that if their excuse is on the level of "Dog ate my homework".

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

General Dog posted:

They were quite good at running the show- coordinating a multinational production, casting, coming in on time and on budget etc, but they proved quite bad at plotting.

I would be really curious to see the original GOT pilot. It was apparently a notorious stinker, and the showrunners held a special private screening for a bunch of writers they knew to get notes on how to fix it. Sadly, they were too deep into it by the end to be able to pull off another mulligan.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Tip posted:

Sometimes playing with your rear end for a while leads to a satisfying climax.

Other times you end up with poo on your hands, and nobody is happy

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Galewolf posted:

(Wildcard) Yes Minister if you are in the UK

Not in the UK but can confirm this holds up extremely well to a rewatch (as I just did a rewatch of it the other day)

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

the last season of GoT is borderline unwatchable and i didn't even mind the stuff before that one even though it was clearly being rushed

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CODChimera posted:

the last season of GoT is borderline unwatchable

S08E03 is LITERALLY unwatchable, as in you can't watch it because they colour graded it so poorly.

Like CMON

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

S08E03 is LITERALLY unwatchable, as in you can't watch it because they colour graded it so poorly.

Like CMON

It just looks like a black square on my lovely monitor.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Not in the UK but can confirm this holds up extremely well to a rewatch (as I just did a rewatch of it the other day)

I mean, it's brilliant and universal but for people too detached from UK/Europe it might be pretty confusing. I'm watching it again after living in the UK for nearly two years now and it feels like an entirely different show:

For example, this bit: https://youtu.be/KgUemV4brDU

The Milton Keynes joke became like 270% funnier for me after living two years in the UK now. In the past, I might be inclined to look for what it is but still might not get the underlying joke (the old bankers being so oblivious to reality outside of London that they don't know there is a literally new city built in the 60s).

I remember, in the 90s when it was replayed (dubbed) in my countries tv I was still laughing even as a teenager but holy hell watching it as an adult is also :discourse:

Like you said, the show is still extremely relevant to the degree of scaring me :ohdear:

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 28, 2021

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I think the laugh track thing is from when stuff was filmed in front of a live audience. Red dwarf do it and it kinda makes it better in places but overall yeah I don't know anyone who actually likes a laugh track which isn't an actual live audience watching.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Like CMON

that was probably the worst episode right? the dothraki cavalry charge into the darkness away from the castle, all the characters being in mortal peril but are saved off camera, arya

but then again later episodes have the dothraki back and apparently fine? and the dragon getting sniped from a loving crossbow ON A BOAT. god drat that season was so bad, i remember before it aired there were several 'leaks' that were terrible but all of them were better than what we got

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CODChimera posted:

i remember before it aired there were several 'leaks' that were terrible but all of them were better than what we got

No wonder they wanted those guys for Star Wars

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

We could of gotten full nudity cgi luke and leia incest but it wasn't to be

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
Pull out, Luke!
Don't worry, I'll use the Force

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

GoT was sacrificed to spare us from their Star Wars which yeah probably would've been an actual nightmare

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Stop talking about S8! I am getting PTSD *sigh

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I tapped out about when the king slayer turned king gimp, no regrets.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The Gimp King is a show I would have finished

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Global pandemic and lockdown and I heard people discussing a GoT rewatch like twice. GoT feels so aged and dated and far away already, especially the Good GoT. Remember the huge gap btwn S7 and S8? I'll count the Queen of Thorn's final scene with Jaime as the series' last capital-G Great scene--that airdate is almost 4 years ago. And the show had been misstepping and falling apart for years

Compare that to something like The Wire, in which most fans agree the final season was the worst one. It's not even bad, just OK, which still puts it light-years ahead of 99% of the live action cartoons on the air. An all-time great show is allowed to stumble some, nobody is demanding perfection.

Or The Sopranos. Its final season was the longest, it was cut in half with a long delay. It was darker, grayer, more grim than it had ever been. Plus it had it's own controversial ending. But the show is still popular. There was Soprano-con, the Talking Sopranos podcast with two main stars is huge, Gen Z has fallen in love and embraced the show.

GoT is just a fart in the wind.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ProperCoochie posted:

Remember the huge gap btwn S7 and S8?

The quality of the final season had nothing to do with me not watching it but the wait was just too long

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Before the last season I rewatched the show (but skipping anything I hated or was bored by) and it was pretty funny how much faster the latter seasons went by.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I never understood what made the Sopranos ending controversial besides people's (mine included) dislike towards cliffhanger endings. I mean, I haven't watched it but Breaking Bad had a cliffhanger ending of sorts from what I heard/watched.

To me, it's a good message of the cycle of violence never-ending in that world and you'll be always paranoid about some random dude looking at you for more than 2 seconds is a possible hitman. Maybe not in the diner but who knows about the next time? Yet, I come across people endlessly debating and theorycrafting about the "true" ending in all the random places. Hell, I have seen a comment in one of the Irishman YT video clips of the restaurant shootout and some guy commented like "Oh, see, it is common for a Hitman to go to the bathroom before the hit so the guy at the Sopranos ending was totally a hitman".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Galewolf posted:

I mean, I haven't watched it but Breaking Bad had a cliffhanger ending of sorts from what I heard/watched.

It didn't really and whatever cliffhanger there may have been got wrapped up in the movie.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Breaking Bad did not have a cliffhanger ending. Like absolutely not.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Breaking Bad did not have a cliffhanger ending. Like absolutely not.

I'm sure some nerds would argue we didn't know what happened to one character because nerds think everything has to be wrapped up in a little bow.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

It didn't really and whatever cliffhanger there may have been got wrapped up in the movie.

I see some comments saying "The movie confirmed that he was dead" in the YT video so probably there was some theorycrafting there. Again, that was from hearsay back then.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm sure some nerds would argue we didn't know what happened to one character because nerds think everything has to be wrapped up in a little bow.

Even if they did, that's still not a cliffhanger ending. Nerds are dumb!!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Galewolf posted:

I see some comments saying "The movie confirmed that he was dead" in the YT video so probably there was some theorycrafting there. Again, that was from hearsay back then.

Oh it's like "the Twins weren't really dead!" after Matrix 2 came out. Or when everyone thought Stannis wasn't dead because they didn't literally show Brienne kill him.

Even if they did, that's still not a cliffhanger ending. Nerds are dumb!!

I know but it's like with the comic bookification of every property where every tiny thing has to have a huge backstory and be explained from birth until you see their moment of death.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I haven't done the study but off the top of my head I don't like every? HBO show that had the split last season. I am talking about GoT, True Blood and even Soprano. I think all of their last split and shorten seasons were awful. I know a lot of people like Sopranos but I just don't like their later seasons.

The Wire had no split last season and it was no bad, rewatchable. Rome was great too. Also The Leftovers S3, not bad at all.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Nerds are dumb!!

Could we subtitle the whole forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Boardwalk didn't have a split but it got canceled so they did a horrible time jump and had to tie up a lot of stuff way too quickly. Rome had to do something similar for season 2 though its quality didn't suffer anywhere near as much.