Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
My idiot cat sits on top of my XsX sometimes, hopefully the fur gets blown out by the fan but I will see in a few years I guess.

Probably just me, but I can't seem to stream a single episode of Mandalorian on Disney+ on my xbox (stutters and then quits to the main d+ screen after 20 mins), other shows work fine and I've hosed around with the streaming quality. Really making GBS threads me off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yakuza 3 is kind of the bad Yakuza so be warned. They didn't think through "enemies guard a lot so you need to use throws" and "bosses auto counter throws at a whim and can punish you for trying" being in the same game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
3 and 4 are the low point of the series, but if you played and enjoyed K1 and K2 then you should definitely check them out.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

American McGay posted:

3 and 4 are the low point of the series, but if you played and enjoyed K1 and K2 then you should definitely check them out.

I'm love yakuza and am coming from Shenmue 2 (incredible) so I'll be good lol. I just need to unlock gambling quick. It's always Oicho Kabu time

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Stux posted:

this is as sad as the ps5 guys saying its fine their $500 console cant do native 4k on stuff.

Stux posted:

yeah the ps5 sucksssss too. i dont do console war i do "good hardware" thank you goon sire.

This isn't the PS5 thread, so why post about it here? There's a dedicated PS5 thread. What's stopping you from posting these kind of posts there?

Really, I'm genuinely fascinated to know why you don't dare post in the PlayStation threads about how much they supposedly suck, but you will post this stuff frequently in this thread.

On a different note, shame about The Medium but hearing about it apparently getting awful reviews is odd after just watching videos giving it a 9/10 & 8/10 from GameSpot & IGN. Actually surprised me because I didn't think it would turn out that great but I'll give them kudos for the dual-world design even if it seems to have been executed poorly. I think Dishonored 2 did a phenomenal job with that design and the timepiece eliminating the need for dual screens and also adding much more to the gameplay because of it, The Medium would have benefited from a similar approach imo, but seems like it might have been too advanced for them if their engine buckles so badly on the XSX and PCs running 3080s :stare:

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I don't want to make this a stux thread, but does he/she own an Xbox? Stux tell us your gaming set-up, favorite consoles/games, etc. PM me. I'm genuinely curious.

In all fairness, I've read some really good stux posts. I've also waded through a lot of posts that were... stux posts.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux has a pc which is the xbox platform of powerful posters

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

You can bet your rear end it only contains premium parts and was assembled by Ferrari engineers in a clean room too.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Re The Medium game, I wonder how Belksinski would’ve felt seeing his art literally plagiarized into a level of this game? If his estate was even remotely litigious (they aren’t I think they’re all dead? Maybe he has a son) they’d have a hell of a case. The Medium has one level that’s just an absolute straight rip of one of his iconic paintings, turned into a 3D rendered space to explore.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Re The Medium game, I wonder how Belksinski would’ve felt seeing his art literally plagiarized into a level of this game? If his estate was even remotely litigious (they aren’t I think they’re all dead? Maybe he has a son) they’d have a hell of a case. The Medium has one level that’s just an absolute straight rip of one of his iconic paintings, turned into a 3D rendered space to explore.

Stop now you're making the game sound cool

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Blind Rasputin posted:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I can’t seem to link a time stamp but starting at 7:40 is the first footage of this level I’ve seen, and if you just watch a bit, I mean come on lol. It’s cool to be inspired by an artist, but don’t just straight copy their drat paintings.

https://youtu.be/dofE8NHQZVc

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

I can’t seem to link a time stamp but starting at 7:40 is the first footage of this level I’ve seen, and if you just watch a bit, I mean come on lol. It’s cool to be inspired by an artist, but don’t just straight copy their drat paintings.

https://youtu.be/dofE8NHQZVc&t=7m40s

smh if you don't know how to add a timestamp to a YouTube link

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Half of Norway's GDP is accounted for by lawsuits from edvard munch's estate

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

A 3080 can't even handle it at 60fps at 1080p. https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-perfor...t-off-settings/

This is the new Crysis.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Keep the PS5 stuff to the PS5 thread. Laugh at the things to do with it in that thread, or even the PS4 thread. This is the Xbox thread and there is more than enough stuff to talk about when it comes to the Xbox.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Look what you all did. You prompted a VideoGames post without a single thing to smile about in it

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

VideoGames posted:

Keep the PS5 stuff to the PS5 thread. Laugh at the things to do with it in that thread, or even the PS4 thread. This is the Xbox thread and there is more than enough stuff to talk about when it comes to the Xbox.

Who is Stux, though? Is he the actual troll from that Styx game on gamepass?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
young Stux got his ding dong caught in an original Xbox drive tray one time and the incident has colored his view of Blinx the Timesweeper, et al. ever since

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

young Stux got his ding dong caught in an original Xbox drive tray one time and the incident has colored his view of Blinx the Timesweeper, et al. ever since

"oh, DISK drive"

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Blind Rasputin posted:

There is precedence with Bloober, they are big on "inspiration": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_uD7gxIF2s

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Eh. How often are notable pieces of renaissance art or ancient art referenced/placed in their entirety in films/games/pictures/etc? Or things adapted/based on other things? Games based on books like Alice in Wonderland and so forth? American McGee didn’t go to the estate of Lewis Carroll to ask permission to make lovely Marilyn Manson games.

If it were a living artist who could stand to make material gain from the work, I would agree—pay them, pay them fairly, and work something out. But in a case where- and this is going by what you said- the artist is dead and there isn’t an active, protective estate like who cares if the premise/aesthetic isn’t original? Beksiński didn’t make games he painted. Adaptations are valid even if they “decrease originality”. That said, Beksiński died in 2005 so there probably is an active estate out there.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

enojy posted:

Look what you all did. You prompted a VideoGames post without a single thing to smile about in it

You're a cold bastard if you don't giggle in glee at that avatar.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SUNKOS posted:

This isn't the PS5 thread, so why post about it here? There's a dedicated PS5 thread. What's stopping you from posting these kind of posts there?

Really, I'm genuinely fascinated to know why you don't dare post in the PlayStation threads about how much they supposedly suck, but you will post this stuff frequently in this thread.

if youve ever read the ps4/5 threads u would know why someone wouldnt want to post there. this thread, is good.

Ok Comboomer posted:

original xbox pwned i softmodded it w the trick where you hotswapped the drive into a pc running a linux bootcd, put an 80gb hdd in and set it up to be able to play games and movies over ethernet.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Stux posted:

original xbox pwned i softmodded it w the trick where you hotswapped the drive into a pc running a linux bootcd, put an 80gb hdd in and set it up to be able to play games and movies over ethernet.

Softmodded xbox was so good. It took forever for there to be something that did all that while still being slick and usable as hell.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I was ignoring this dumb game until now, i fuckin love beksinski

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

Eh. How often are notable pieces of renaissance art or ancient art referenced/placed in their entirety in films/games/pictures/etc? Or things adapted/based on other things? Games based on books like Alice in Wonderland and so forth? American McGee didn’t go to the estate of Lewis Carroll to ask permission to make lovely Marilyn Manson games.

If it were a living artist who could stand to make material gain from the work, I would agree—pay them, pay them fairly, and work something out. But in a case where- and this is going by what you said- the artist is dead and there isn’t an active, protective estate like who cares if the premise/aesthetic isn’t original? Beksiński didn’t make games he painted. Adaptations are valid even if they “decrease originality”. That said, Beksiński died in 2005 so there probably is an active estate out there.

I'd love a game that fully emulated the art style of Francis Bacon and had a story written by David Lynch. Didn't people create those machine learning deep-something apps a while back that emulated the styles of various artists which you could process images through?

H.R.Giger is a more recent passing and I think that Scorn game that copies his style was being shown before he passed? I don't know how but it looks worse and worse with each new gameplay reveal. The original previews were fantastic.

TheScott2K posted:

Softmodded xbox was so good. It took forever for there to be something that did all that while still being slick and usable as hell.

I think XBMC being so popular was probably a big factor in the initial design of the Xbox One. I think they wanted to achieve the same thing but there was no legal way that they could, probably would have been better to have an option to partition the drive and just say "Yeah you can install Windows on it as well if you want."

Come to think of it, I don't know why they haven't allowed that with the new consoles? XSX doubling as a console and Windows device would have been great. We've already had people running emulators through that loophole but imagine being able to setup Steam in big picture mode on Windows startup :stare: Nobodies getting that performance out of a gaming PC for anywhere near the price either so it would be an attractive desktop too, especially with how quiet it is.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It all boils down to legal things and liability. Consoles are largely extremely heavily locked down now because open systems are more hackable which creates a lot of headaches like piracy and hackers in online games (both of these are still huge problems with PC games). A lot of times the locking down is part of the agreement in place with external companies. For example you can't make a properly licensed DVD/Blu-ray player that doesn't enforce region locking and prohibited user operations (e.g. being able to skip unskippable ads). And a softmoddable console probably means that 10-year-old little Timmy can circumvent the parental controls that were implemented on the console and that's a whole can of worms that can end badly legally for the console manufacturer (in fact on a separate note I was talking with a friend of mine who works for one of the big game companies about certification and one of the key things you have to get right is making sure all the parental control stuff works the way it's supposed to, so if the console settings say a user shouldn't be able to do microtransactions or interact with people online that has to be strictly enforced and respected within the software in order for cert to be approved). On a simpler note, it would be trivial to have far more flexible save files (e.g. copy to USB or between profiles) but they're extremely heavily encrypted and locked down now because hacked saves on a buggy game (good thing those don't exist anymore oh wait) are a super-easy way to get root access to a system.

Sony allowed Linux on PS3 and then had their online platform so thoroughly hacked that it cost them billions and permanently harmed their reputation and that is something none of the console makers want to go through again.

And beyond that there's also the console makers wanting the consoles streamlined in various ways. Like having only one place to buy digital games and DLC/microtransactions from, but then if you allow Steam on there in some capacity that's all screwed up now. A lot of people, myself included, bailed on PC gaming because, among other issues, it turned into a loving mess with like a dozen different digital stores, each with their own exclusives and accounts and friends lists and features.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 28, 2021

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

You could plug an external drive into a 360 and play movies off it, they even added mkv support near the end, or maybe just mp4 I can remember. There was a ton of media player devices in the market during that era too - boxee box, WD live! Roku etc

Now Plex exists and is how most people that pirate video view it on their tv. You basically don't have to build any of the legally precarious poo poo into the console now besides support for codecs because legit services and games still need video codecs.

The only thing different from Xbmc is that you can't store the media on the console but I'm sure it plays fine off an external drive on a series X. I genuinely have never looked at what kind of media file support the consoles have since I've had a nas and Plex for nearly a decade and before that it was boxee box and a nas. I've not had to use a console for playback since the 360.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

lol outside of some epic store poo poo there’s still basically one central games platform on PC and everyone uses discord for organizing with friends

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I, for one, am very glad stux never posts in the playstation threads

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wheeee posted:

lol outside of some epic store poo poo there’s still basically one central games platform on PC and everyone uses discord for organizing with friends

You have to fuss with Battle.net for Call of Duty and Overwatch, and Epic has started doing stuff like actively pulling games off of Steam (Rocket League).

I know, the joke is on me for playing that stuff, but PC is definitely a bit more fuss. I only have 8GB RAM so I close all of the game stores that I'm not using before I launch a game. Epic Games Store in particular is bad about using tons of system resources.

The Xbox app on PC is terrible too, but it's the only way to install a stuff that's on Game Pass.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wheeee posted:

Oh sure there's only one PC store if you ignore the huge stack of exceptions. :rolleyes:

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to install The Medium (really more on the small size in terms of install footprint) through the Windows 10 store a.k.a. PC digital gaming platform #8 and hope its install doesn't poo poo the bed so I have to boot into Linux to delete it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I mean if that’s a degree of complexity you can’t handle okay lol

urrrg having three icons to choose from too much for me

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If only it was just the icons.

You have to make sure that if you're buying a cheap key from a reseller that it's actually for a platform you want (e.g. I think any Bethesda game still only gives you a key for their launcher, I think you only get GOG keys if you do the same for either The Witcher 3 or Cyberpunk, etc.).

Or making sure that it functions within your setup for game sharing (e.g. my kid playing a game without loving with my save data) or remote play purposes, since different platforms handle things differently (I'm not sure if this has changed but it was effectively impossible to get Steam Remote Play working for a Windows 10 Store game because the folder containing the executables was locked from normal access). Also relevant for mods, like apparently with The Witcher 3 the GOG version and the Steam version, along with the vanilla vs GOTY builds of each, handle mods differently and you need to get stuff specifically for whatever version you have. And no mods for Windows 10 Store games.

And then you can get hosed with weird lock-in like how Hitman 3 is an EGS exclusive with no way of proving ownership for Hitman 2 since it's only on Steam.

MMOs like Final Fantasy XIV and TESO manage differently for subs and microtransactions with Steam and their non-Steam versions which, again, is a problem if you get promo codes for those games or whatever.

Some game versions don't talk to each-other. This is especially bad for Windows 10 Store games like what you get through Game Pass, you're locked out of multiplayer with Steam and other versions.

And each store has its own overlay thing and usually there's at least one that'll be wonky (e.g. cause stuttering/crashing) on a system and it's a bit random which one won't play right (and may be exacerbated by the second later introduced by Nvidia/AMD's own overlay). It can also vary between games like if they use DLSS or ray tracing, or if the game's EXE has a particularly spicy flavor of Denuvo.

At least on Xbox I know my green-masked luchador can share his games the same way every time.

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 28, 2021

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I keep repeating myself but MS could have totally positioned the Xbox One X as a competitor to the Mac Mini (the later one with desktop components). Release a native port of Office 365, improve Edge's performance with HTML5 video, make a marketing campaign focused on M+KB support and it's the only computer most college students will need, still running that same locked-down system.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Real hurthling! posted:

You can drop poo poo directly into the console

I've just turned it on its side to avoid this - no performance or noise difference.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ruffian Price posted:

I keep repeating myself but MS could have totally positioned the Xbox One X as a competitor to the Mac Mini (the later one with desktop components). Release a native port of Office 365, improve Edge's performance with HTML5 video, make a marketing campaign focused on M+KB support and it's the only computer most college students will need, still running that same locked-down system.

lol please dont give them ideas they would love to make a fully closed up windows

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SUNKOS posted:

Come to think of it, I don't know why they haven't allowed that with the new consoles? XSX doubling as a console and Windows device would have been great. We've already had people running emulators through that loophole but imagine being able to setup Steam in big picture mode on Windows startup :stare: Nobodies getting that performance out of a gaming PC for anywhere near the price either so it would be an attractive desktop too, especially with how quiet it is.

lol how are games on steam going to handle a unified memory arch with two varying ram speeds??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

univbee posted:

If only it was just the icons.

You have to make sure that if you're buying a cheap key from a reseller that it's actually for a platform you want (e.g. I think any Bethesda game still only gives you a key for their launcher, I think you only get GOG keys if you do the same for either The Witcher 3 or Cyberpunk, etc.).

Or making sure that it functions within your setup for game sharing (e.g. my kid playing a game without loving with my save data) or remote play purposes, since different platforms handle things differently (I'm not sure if this has changed but it was effectively impossible to get Steam Remote Play working for a Windows 10 Store game because the folder containing the executables was locked from normal access). Also relevant for mods, like apparently with The Witcher 3 the GOG version and the Steam version, along with the vanilla vs GOTY builds of each, handle mods differently and you need to get stuff specifically for whatever version you have. And no mods for Windows 10 Store games.

And then you can get hosed with weird lock-in like how Hitman 3 is an EGS exclusive with no way of proving ownership for Hitman 2 since it's only on Steam.

MMOs like Final Fantasy XIV and TESO manage differently for subs and microtransactions with Steam and their non-Steam versions which, again, is a problem if you get promo codes for those games or whatever.

Some game versions don't talk to each-other. This is especially bad for Windows 10 Store games like what you get through Game Pass, you're locked out of multiplayer with Steam and other versions.

And each store has its own overlay thing and usually there's at least one that'll be wonky (e.g. cause stuttering/crashing) on a system and it's a bit random which one won't play right (and may be exacerbated by the second later introduced by Nvidia/AMD's own overlay). It can also vary between games like if they use DLSS or ray tracing, or if the game's EXE has a particularly spicy flavor of Denuvo.

At least on Xbox I know my green-masked luchador can share his games the same way every time.

This is the posting equivalent of those black and white sequences from Made for TV commercials where the actors open a cabinet and pots fall on their heads.