Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
JUNGLE BOY VS FTR MAN 58 71.60%
Britt vs The National Front Disco 2 2.47%
Eddie vs Archer 7 8.64%
Bullet Club vs Dark Order 14 17.28%
Total: 81 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rotinaj posted:

Jade and Red Velvet are not going to be featured in the match. They will physically be there, but if you look at the build that is literally all about Shaq v Cody, and think that Jade Cargill and Red Velvet are going to walk away from this angle having gotten any good character development or motivation, I am unsure what to say. Yes, they're there, but this is barely about them. I know nothing about Jade Cargill.

And that brings us to points two and three.

This is what I mean. I don't give a poo poo about this lady who showed up, said a few things, and is apparently representing Shaq. As far as I know, she is Shaq's attorney. If she goes to wrestle and is any good, then great. But seeing as she went for a WWE tryout in 2019, and has apparently been taking classes from Dustin, I don't have a lot of confidence that Jade is gonna blow people away with her skills. So if she had shown up and wrestled any matches, done any storylines, or anything like that, I would have a little invested in her. It's the same thing with FTR. I didn't give a poo poo about their angle with the Bucks because I haven't watched WWE in years. If they had come in and done angles like they are doing now with Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus, I think I'd have cared more. When someone new shows up and main events immediately, it doesn't work for me a lot of the time.

The build has been Jade interrupting Cody, mentioning Shaq and running him down.
Shaq and Brandi in a sit down
Backstage segments where Jade and Nyla attack Brandi and Velvet
Cody on the Waiting Room, being interrupted by Jade and then a pull apart between Jade and Velvet where Cody never got in a word
Jade distracting Cody in a match
Shaq doing a pretape
Cody and Arn doing an interview where Red Velvet cuts the big promo at the end.

In these segments Jade either gets the better of Cody or upstages him and the only physical angle has been between women. They get equal promo time if not more.

If anything Shaq has gotten lost in the background because they've used Jade as his friend so much and her beef is with Cody and Brandi.

She also isn't main eventing immediately. All of your complaints are bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MassRafTer posted:

All of your complaints are bizarre.

Literally since Jade Cargill showed up, people have been saying "This isn't working for me, but I'll watch where it goes", and then you start acting like they are hyperbolically screaming about how awful the angle is, unprompted.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm not writing Jade off until I've seen her wrestle but god drat has this build done nothing to make me excited about seeing her wrestle

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

people were saying the same thing when okada came back from excursion and challenged tanahashi and that turned out pretty well i would say

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

oatgan posted:

people were saying the same thing when okada came back from excursion and challenged tanahashi and that turned out pretty well i would say

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Jade Cargill is gonna have the first 8 star match

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rotinaj posted:

Literally since Jade Cargill showed up, people have been saying "This isn't working for me, but I'll watch where it goes", and then you start acting like they are hyperbolically screaming about how awful the angle is, unprompted.

After the Waiting Room a lot of people thought it was really good and were looking forward to Red Velvet getting a push.

There have been a lot of people saying it doesn't work for them. That's fine.

But saying stuff like they aren't being featured in the angle, or that she's coming in for a main event slot or it isn't about them or that Jade should act less like a heel are simply not true. So when you say things like that your complaints are really bizarre!

I am looking forward to seeing this mysterious woman with a great athletic background who is in the same finishing program as Hook in the same school that produced three really good wrestlers already on the roster. She might fall flat on her face but I doubt it.

Or to put it more elegantly:

oatgan posted:

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 28, 2021

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I really like Jade Cargill. She’s smart, has a great presence/look, is fine on the mic with her presence and is a person of color getting a prominent role.

I’m here for it.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm pro whatever gives Red Velvet higher profile matches.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

goons: I want to see more women in AEW

also goons: But not that one...

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MassRafTer posted:

But saying stuff like they aren't being featured in the angle, or that she's coming in for a main event slot or it isn't about them or that Jade should act less like a heel are simply not true. So when you say things like that your complaints are really bizarre!

You have an unfortunate habit of arguing with the person and not their actual argument, and also boiling people's arguments down to absolutely ludicrous simplicity

They aren't being primarily featured in the angle in my opinion because the actual stars of the angle, as you said earlier, are the biggest main eventer in the company and the biggest celebrity you can bring in. Jade only shows up to say that Shaq is coming, and the focus of the angle isn't in any way on Jade, but rather, Jade acting as someone else's proxy. This fails the Bechdel test as I said earlier, because Jade only shows up to talk about Shaq and how Shaq is going to kick Cody's rear end. Even her beef with Brandi is because Brandi tried to get between Jade showing up to bring Shaq's message. If Jade was front and center, and she was coming for Brandi, and then Cody had said whoa wait hold on and Jade had said "Don't get involved or I'll get my friend Shaq", maybe the central posing of the whole angle would feel about Jade versus someone, as opposed to Shaq, with someone named Jade involved.

She is coming in for a main event slot in as far as she is in the celebrity angle and is going to have a huge amount of eyes on her. Why is it Jade getting that position as opposed to someone the audience is already invested in, who might even do a better job of doing the whole "Me and Shaq are friends" thing and not make it be just her working on behalf of Shaq?

Jade should only act "less like a heel" or whatever this not-the-thing-that-I-said in that if she had been established in the company prior to this angle, maybe then the audience, and I, would have something to actually stoke our interest in this angle. As it is, a person I never saw before a few months ago is here to tell me that someday, we'll get to the fireworks factory of seeing Shaquille O'Neal entertain me. If I knew "Oh, she's a really good wrestler" or "Oh, she's a really sneaky heel" or "Oh, she's enjoyable to watch" or "Oh, Red Velvet is gonna get some serious payback", then perhaps I would be more into it. But so far, it feels like they're trying to hide a bad wrestler with lots of talking segments.

This angle just doesn't follow through on its own potential.

Edit:

tao of lmao posted:

goons: I want to see more women in AEW

also goons: But not that one...

I'll have it be that one. Have her wrestle. Have her do things other than just say Shaq is coming. These wheel-spinning segments are as tired to me as Sting coming out and being interrupted by Team Taz. If it weren't for Team Taz being great, I would be hard out on those, too.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I pray for Gosh, Santa, Shiva and anybody who will listen for one day in my lifetime, to get two women’s matches on one Dynamite or televised show. That’s when I know the world is moving in the right direction.

So I’ll take anything I can get.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

May I have your attention please, this week's argument about the women's division is arriving three days ahead of schedule. We apologise for the inconvenience.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
have Jade squash Leva, instant nuclear heat

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

I’ve read all the complaints but I’m still super excited to see what Jade can do in ring. The Shaq angle has been a good introduction to her.

It’s a shame It can’t be Jade vs Brandi but they did a good job pivoting to the logical next choice in Red Velvet. Though if Cody is winning and it’s a mixed tag maybe Red Velvet makes more sense anyway.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Oh man that Unrestricted with Amanda Huber was rough going without ever being maudlin. The whole family sounds super well-adjusted.

When they announced his death and it had come out of nowhere I'd stupidly assumed it was a bit sudden - not that he'd been in hospital since Halloween and had so many medical interventions.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I wanna see hook suplex people

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

oatgan posted:

I'm ready for the Rainmaker Shaq.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Shaq vs Cody is the excuse, Jade vs Red Velvet is the real angle, and the feud is a million times better with Brandi out and RV subbing in

I will not be taking questions at this time

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

The Northern lights suplex he hit Orange Cassidy with a couple of weeks ago was real nice.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Taz has to unteach him everything Cody taught him first.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the jade cargill stuff is only bad because she should obviously be going over cody clean and they're too cowardly to do it

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I'm not super invested in the angle, but I am curious as to how Jade will do in the ring. It's super risky when someone's first match is on such a big stage, but she has enough of a "failure is impossible" attitude that it might not be a complete disaster.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Junpei Hyde posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiFPHxakgMU&t=6694s
(Timestamped.)

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Hook

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

HOLY...that's a NASTY suplex. Props to Jake St. Patrick for taking it like a champ.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Hook has such great dirtbag energy.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

karmicknight posted:

Hook has such great dirtbag energy.

He dresses like a lovely youtube influencer and it's perfect.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Taz's proud dad cackle is the cherry on top

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

jade could be a huge star on television and even films. they've gotta do a better job supporting her if they want to push her quickly. she can do it, just like britt baker

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

AEW is dads

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
AEW is a promotion about families.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

tbh i dunno why anyone would be poo poo talking jade, cody and arn's segment last night was absolutely god awful

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
AEWDads

A new site for dads who love their family and also pro wrestling

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

duckdealer posted:

It’s a shame It can’t be Jade vs Brandi but they did a good job pivoting to the logical next choice in Red Velvet. Though if Cody is winning and it’s a mixed tag maybe Red Velvet makes more sense anyway.

I'm so glad it's going to be Red Velvet and not Brandi because Velvet is actually a good wrestler--I like Brandi and she has moments of quality in the ring but she's just never going to be very good.

I also want to get on the record that Ryan Nemeth loving sucked really badly and if I never have to see him in the ring again I will be very happy. If Shawn Dean is the bar for new male talent--and he is--Nemeth hit that bar like a loving headband.

And now in payment for my complaining:

https://twitter.com/KingSerpentico/status/1354873775876157441?s=20

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Jade owns, the angle is good

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Loved Jungle Boy vs Dax. Both did great and was entertaining to watch. Dark Order vs Young Bucks & Good Brothers was cool but the highlight was Rey Fenix, holy poo poo that dive that ended him sitting on the barrier. Rey Fenix is so loving fun to watch. Good show, but I hate how they ended Eddie Kingston vs Lance Archer. The match was cool but it ended in a meh.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

rantmo posted:

If Shawn Dean is the bar for new male talent--and he is--Nemeth hit that bar like a loving headband.

And now in payment for my complaining:

https://twitter.com/KingSerpentico/status/1354873775876157441?s=20

Have we seen Cody vs the Captain yet? I want to see that now.

Also, Luther is just the best.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Pylons posted:

AEW is dads

dads and theatre weirdos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

cams posted:

tbh i dunno why anyone would be poo poo talking jade, cody and arn's segment last night was absolutely god awful

Arn's promo was giving me