Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

wesleywillis posted:

So stupid boomer, and less stupid boomer?

Pretty much. Prior one worked for town council his entire career, new one ran consultancies and high level positions in international charities. I wonder if there's a connection?

He still does a few boomeresque things but I attribute it more to just getting a little older and learned success. At his core he's a solid guy who cares about doing the right thing and getting results, and is willing to listen and change his mind, usually. Still has this weird tick where he just won't let go of something but its minor and I can grind him down with my rentless debating skills (speaking forcefully and refusing to conceded until he gives up, because I'm approaching middle age and have started absorbing boomer qualities of my own via osmosis).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mad Hamish posted:

It is morally correct to steal from Fargoth because he's a disgusting Bosmer and they're worse than animals. Gross little s'wit, just look at him!

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
The Dunmer are definitely pretty boomer. Racist as hell and worried about immigrants, no problem with keeping slaves and hoarding wealth though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
So much about the world makes sense realising the boomers in charge of everything are all awful at their jobs and refuse to retire.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Prince Reggie K posted:

The Dunmer are definitely pretty boomer. Racist as hell and worried about immigrants, no problem with keeping slaves and hoarding wealth though.

Elder Scrolls III: The Secret of Boomer Island

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So much about the world makes sense realising the boomers in charge of everything are all awful at their jobs and refuse to retire.

it is my depressing opinion that a large portion of the progress of the asian economies is due to the practice of forced retirement at zaibatsus, chaebols, chinese state companies, etc

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The thing is, I think there is a combination two reasons for this. On one hand, they probably weren't terrible at their jobs at some point, but being boomers they refused to adapt. The other reason is that they got good at obfuscating what they were doing, likely in an attempt to make it look like they were more valuable than they really were.

When I started at my current job in late 2016, I had to fill out time sheets in triplicate because some ancient boomer refused to do it on a computer. When she retired in 2018, it went digital immediately. There are still some boomer rear end boomers on the shop floor who struggle with computers in TYOOL 2021, but luckily they're finally retiring, albeit very slowly.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

If one more boomer at work makes another godamn covid joke while im talking to coworkers like" hey why arnt you guys social distancing , you dont want the covid, hur hur hurr!" I swear i will break in thier house and spit in all thier cups.

Yes rear end in a top hat we all know you dont actually take it seriously , just loving die already.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well this is a loving mood:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Hihohe posted:

If one more boomer at work makes another godamn covid joke while im talking to coworkers like" hey why arnt you guys social distancing , you dont want the covid, hur hur hurr!" I swear i will break in thier house and spit in all thier cups.

Yes rear end in a top hat we all know you dont actually take it seriously , just loving die already.

Well maybe you should be social distancing, shitforbrains! :v:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
On the one hand, old boomer elected republicans.

On the other hand, the younger elected boomers.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

She might just want an excuse to gently caress her horse

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hihohe posted:

I have a boomer at work that refuses to talk to me because when he said I was goofy for wearing a respirator, I fired back with the fact that he wasn't wearing a mask. It's been going on for 4 months now.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My boomer mom has been working from home since last March. Great. Which means she gets on her work computer before her shift starts, to work on emails, and skips breaks, and works after she clocks out because "nothing gets done otherwise!" So on an average day she works for free about 30-60 minutes. Sometimes when she takes a day off, she'll still pop it open to answer customer emails. I've told her not to, that she isn't helping anyone, and she goes on a furious explanation that no one else does any work and she has to do all these no-cool fridge orders and N called out and D isn't doing the customer care emails and leaves them for her....and I'm like: You're not getting paid, loving gently caress the company!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

I have a boomer at work that refuses to talk to me because when he said I was goofy for wearing a respirator, I fired back with the fact that he wasn't wearing a mask. It's been going on for 4 months now.

Boomers like to over-estimate their social value.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cowslips Warren posted:

My boomer mom has been working from home since last March. Great. Which means she gets on her work computer before her shift starts, to work on emails, and skips breaks, and works after she clocks out because "nothing gets done otherwise!" So on an average day she works for free about 30-60 minutes. Sometimes when she takes a day off, she'll still pop it open to answer customer emails. I've told her not to, that she isn't helping anyone, and she goes on a furious explanation that no one else does any work and she has to do all these no-cool fridge orders and N called out and D isn't doing the customer care emails and leaves them for her....and I'm like: You're not getting paid, loving gently caress the company!
My mom's no boomer in many other ways but she does this and I just wanna tell you that you're not alone and I'm sorry there's nothing you can do.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I know people who have gotten canned for working off the clock. It opens up the company to a ton of liability for unpaid labor and whatnot and employers who aren’t idiots hate it when people do it.

It’s always either boomers with a corny amount of loyalty to their employer or tryhards fresh out of college who don’t know their rights and assume hard work automatically equals advancement that do this.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Every now and again I catch myself working volunteering overtime and try to stop myself, but there's this little prickly point of pride that rears its ugly head because it's usually some sort of special task involving flexing my excel/sql knowledge and either i enjoy doing it or i've run far afield of the output i expected and i refuse to throw my hands up and look at it again tomorrow (did i mention the pride?).

it's worse than the post-stroke shame honestly

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Lib and let die posted:

Every now and again I catch myself working volunteering overtime and try to stop myself, but there's this little prickly point of pride that rears its ugly head because it's usually some sort of special task involving flexing my excel/sql knowledge and either i enjoy doing it or i've run far afield of the output i expected and i refuse to throw my hands up and look at it again tomorrow (did i mention the pride?).

it's worse than the post-stroke shame honestly

Overtime is different I think. Like gently caress yeah I'll take 2.5x pay, I play warhammer I need that poo poo to buy my dollies.

Edit: oh you probably meant unpaid

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Overtime is different I think. Like gently caress yeah I'll take 2.5x pay, I play warhammer I need that poo poo to buy my dollies.

Edit: oh you probably meant unpaid

oh i love me some holiday and overtime pay, but that's extremely rare for me. i've been salary for the last 10 years.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
I do work for money. If you want me to work for you, you pay me. If you do not pay me, I do not work for you. Simple as that.

gently caress you, pay me is what I tell all boomers who ask of my time. I expect compensation.

Now for friends and such, I'll go out of my way to help, but I do not make friends with boomers.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Solar Coaster posted:

I do work for money. If you want me to work for you, you pay me. If you do not pay me, I do not work for you. Simple as that.

gently caress you, pay me is what I tell all boomers who ask of my time. I expect compensation.

Now for friends and such, I'll go out of my way to help, but I do not make friends with boomers.

yeah its this

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Solar Coaster posted:

Can we pay you in exposure? Just think of the exposure you'll get if you do this free work for me!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
The kind of exposure you die of

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

it is my depressing opinion that a large portion of the progress of the asian economies is due to the practice of forced retirement at zaibatsus, chaebols, chinese state companies, etc

Unironic age limits for political office and employment.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Azuth0667 posted:

:hmmyes:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
They all must retire by age 69

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

VideoTapir posted:

Exposure kills

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Picnic Princess posted:

Leave your car door unlocked but superglue a razor blade underneath the handle.

And don't ever forget it's there.

That's illegal though, to set up a trap like that. There were a few maga fucks who taped razor blades to their lawn signs in hope someone would gently caress with them and I believe they got in trouble

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Well maybe you should be social distancing, shitforbrains! :v:

I would like if boomers would distance themselves from me whether or not it's because of the corona virus.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Just gonna grumble a bit that my broke rear end is on an infinite waitlist for a Corona vaccine even though I work with biohazard material that gets given to hospital patients daily, while my 95 year-old grandmother who has never held a job or does anything/goes anywhere got one because she could afford to be in a rich person's retirement village where they all got a ton.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

wesleywillis posted:

They all must retire by age 69

Mandatory retirement at 42.0

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

mind the walrus posted:

Just gonna grumble a bit that my broke rear end is on an infinite waitlist for a Corona vaccine even though I work with biohazard material that gets given to hospital patients daily, while my 95 year-old grandmother who has never held a job or does anything/goes anywhere got one because she could afford to be in a rich person's retirement village where they all got a ton.

Rich people are just flying from all over to skip the lines for the vaccines. Many of them from other countries. In at least one instance some rich people came here and took a bunch of vaccines meant for an Indigenous tribe in the middle of nowhere.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

probably the kind of exposure where you have to look at gross old man dick, then the kind of exposure where you freeze to death

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
A cognitive test (ideally one with different categories broken out, something like Woodcock Johnson) when you take office (elected or not) and retests every year after ~60 or so. If your scores drop below some specific threshold below your original score, you become ineligible.

There would have to be some included avenue for challenging initial scores to prevent people intentionally throwing the initial test. That might be a fatal weakness in this idea, I guess.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Being a hard worker just means your boss will ask more of you while still paying you as much as the guy who hides in the break room for a third of his shift.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

grittyreboot posted:

Being a hard worker just means your boss will ask more of you while still paying you as much as the guy who hides in the break room for a third of his shift.

i've worked hard at jobs only to end up quitting due to management changes or corporate initiatives hosed the place up, and I got on their poo poo list for not putting up with it. there's no glory in being a tryhard at work, and it's a dice roll sometimes if you'll even keep a good reference so gently caress em.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Azuth0667 posted:

:hmmyes: with a good social security system

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

LifeSunDeath posted:

i've worked hard at jobs only to end up quitting due to management changes or corporate initiatives hosed the place up, and I got on their poo poo list for not putting up with it.

Same, but constructive dismissal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

i've worked hard at jobs only to end up quitting due to management changes or corporate initiatives hosed the place up, and I got on their poo poo list for not putting up with it. there's no glory in being a tryhard at work, and it's a dice roll sometimes if you'll even keep a good reference so gently caress em.

Did you speak heresy against the great Six Sigma or something?