Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

ahahaahaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Chinatown posted:

Doge up 180% from yesterday and now at $.03

lol

Gotta fund another NASCAR that's the goal.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

you may not like it but this is peak capitalism

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!
Fuuuuck I don't want to pay 75 bux to move my number to etrade or something

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Chillgamesh posted:

Wait so if finance put their foot on Robinhood's neck to tank the Gamestop stock for a short while so short selling hedge funds could take as small of a hit as possible on the way out, isn't the GME stock being back up now just a big pointless bubble?

nobody knows how it works

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
No bubble, no bubble! You're the bubble!!

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Chillgamesh posted:

Wait so if finance put their foot on Robinhood's neck to tank the Gamestop stock for a short while so short selling hedge funds could take as small of a hit as possible on the way out, isn't the GME stock being back up now just a big pointless bubble?

maybe, but there are undoubtedly uncovered shorts outstanding, can still squeeze anyone who couldn’t cover.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

lol'ing to myself wondering what the limits on foreign investment are, when the purchase of large amounts of one stock can cause a catastrophic cascading effect on American markets

I am certain that there are massive regulations on this but still amusing to think of some Russian oligarch dropping pocket change on GME and blowing up the financial sector

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Penisaurus Sex posted:

That makes sense and I'm not sure if that's actually better than Joe Biden making a phonecall.

lol if you think biden is awake during this, he is still coming down from his inauguration drug cocktail

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
AOC talking to a billionaire venture capitalist on Twitch is going to be something.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Maximo Roboto posted:

lmao Chamath is gonna ride "the technocratic populist VC who freaks out CNBC anchors" shtick into the governor's mansion

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1354927288245231618

lol that guy omg

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

So when are we supposed to sell AMC and NOK?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Gamestop stock is essentially bitcoin now.

except with significantly improved energy efficiency and a slightly lower risk of having your holdings stolen

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Thom12255 posted:

AOC talking to a billionaire venture capitalist on Twitch is going to be something.
our next guests... alex karp and peter thiel!

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Chinatown posted:

Doge up 180% from yesterday and now at $.03

lol

I remember making a wallet for that and mining coins on that the first day it was made because I thought it was intentionally absurd to make fun of the stupidity of coins, then deleting the wallet when people started taking it seriously. Oops

No idea how many I made, but it was the over the first few days, so tens of thousands minimum.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Chillgamesh posted:

the hedge funds that shorted it down to like $120 made out today

the hedge funds that shorted it down to $6 are still totally and completely hosed and even if those same funds joined in on the $120 short the gains they made today were nothing compared to what they're about to lose if they hold any of the $6 shorts

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

net work error posted:

only hodl

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
tomorrow is gonna be intense

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

net work error posted:

AMC is a meme stonk that poo poo is going nowhere but up bro

kopasetic
Sep 18, 2009
"The unfortunate events in GameStop this week may be building a dangerous precedent for markets whereby retail investors act en masse to leverage their buying powers to spark fragility events," analysts at J.P. Morgan said in a note.

truly unfortunate

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Robinhood CEO is on the billionaire channel

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

shyduck posted:

I bought a dog today

Good investment.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Been getting a lot of Twitter time outs this week

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

:siren: Robinhood CEO is getting interviewed on CNBC, watch as a man has to talk coherently while his balls are in a vice :siren:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

plz no doxx

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Injuryprone posted:

Been getting a lot of Twitter time outs this week

Guess you should've hold.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

pyrotek posted:

I remember making a wallet for that and mining coins on that the first day it was made because I thought it was intentionally absurd to make fun of the stupidity of coins, then deleting the wallet when people started taking it seriously. Oops

No idea how many I made, but it was the over the first few days, so tens of thousands minimum.

Buy high sell low but bitcoin mining

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
robinhood ceo live on cnbc: https://planetnews.com/live/stock-update.html?mepr-unauth-page=40&redirect_to=%2Famerican%2Fcnbc-america.html

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

don't know about you guys, but i wish i was a billionaire
sounds nice

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Some shorts made it out with todays bullshit, for sure. But given how low the volumes were on the downslope and the fact GME went back to $200 asap, there's undoubtly plenty still in who shorted at $60 or $150 or whatever, and every price rise makes it more expensive for them to stay in the game.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
eventually the float will catch up and the stock will go down no matter how many long term investors are in the stock right now. then these hodlers are going to lose a lot of money

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

kopasetic posted:

"The unfortunate events in GameStop this week may be building a dangerous precedent for markets whereby retail investors act en masse to leverage their buying powers to spark fragility events," analysts at J.P. Morgan said in a note.

truly unfortunate

completely different from 1 huge investor doing the same.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Gringostar posted:

the hedge funds that shorted it down to like $120 made out today

the hedge funds that shorted it down to $6 are still totally and completely hosed and even if those same funds joined in on the $120 short the gains they made today were nothing compared to what they're about to lose if they hold any of the $6 shorts

Torpor posted:

maybe, but there are undoubtedly uncovered shorts outstanding, can still squeeze anyone who couldn’t cover.

So basically such an insanely huge amount of GME stock was shorted, that even today's obvious naked manipulation won't stop the inflated stock value from wrecking a bunch of hedge funds. Can't wait to see how they cheat tomorrow lol

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Dolphin posted:

eventually the float will catch up and the stock will go down no matter how many long term investors are in the stock right now. then these hodlers are going to lose a lot of money

Buy the dip!

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

net work error posted:

never ever

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

"No no no, there's no liquidity problem inside the company. We did this pre-emptively."

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

net work error posted:

Never apparently meme stonks are the new bitcoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Assuming the short squeeze happens and we all make a gigazillion dollars over the next week, what are the odds of RH or other brokers just throwing up their hands and saying "lol eat poo poo your funds will never be settled"?