Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Batterypowered7 posted:

Was there an episode where Cow wanted Chicken to eat cereal with milk she made, and he kept refusing? I feel like there was an episode like that.

I think that was the What a Cartoon! pilot episode. I definitely remember the closeup painting of the rancid carton of milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Who What Now posted:

I think that was the What a Cartoon! pilot episode. I definitely remember the closeup painting of the rancid carton of milk.

Was What a Cartoon! Where the Powerpuff Girls had their first episode? The one where they fight Fuzzy Lumpkins when he gets upset that they don't like his meat jam or something?

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Was What a Cartoon! Where the Powerpuff Girls had their first episode? The one where they fight Fuzzy Lumpkins when he gets upset that they don't like his meat jam or something?

It was, along with many other Cartoon Network shows...and also Family Guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_a_Cartoon!

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

KariOhki posted:

It was, along with many other Cartoon Network shows...and also Family Guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_a_Cartoon!

i felt like i was insane because i saw the peter and brian (larry and steve) what a cartoon when it first aired, then forgot about it, and only remembered it years after family guy premiered. and thought, wait? did my brain make that up? that cant be right

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

eSports Chaebol posted:

i felt like i was insane because i saw the peter and brian (larry and steve) what a cartoon when it first aired, then forgot about it, and only remembered it years after family guy premiered. and thought, wait? did my brain make that up? that cant be right

Yeah this was one of those Mandela effect things

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Before Family Guy Seth MacFarlane worked on a bunch of cartoons like Johnny Bravo and Cow and Chicken.

BubbleBobble
Jan 5, 2010
E-I-E-OOOO

E-I-E

if you're feelin' kinda cruddyyyyy
just stick right by your buddyyyy

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

It also aired on Space Ghost Coast 2 Coast with Space Ghost interviewing all of the creators including Genndy Tartakovsky, Craig McCracken, and the Guy who made Johnny Bravo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

eSports Chaebol posted:

Weren't larry and steve the two guys from Rugrats?

I mostly remember playing the Rugrats game one night at some relatives' house, had some pretty funny incidental dialogue. "Larry, Steve! Clean-up in the detergent department! Hehe, just add water."

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Weren't larry and steve the two guys from Rugrats?

I mostly remember playing the Rugrats game one night at some relatives' house, had some pretty funny incidental dialogue. "Larry, Steve! Clean-up in the detergent department! Hehe, just add water."

The guys from Rugrats were Larry and Steve, but he's talking about this Larry and Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UcFTDL9V4M

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Linux Pirate posted:

The guys from Rugrats were Larry and Steve, but he's talking about this Larry and Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UcFTDL9V4M

It's crazy watching this now and seeing all the Family Guy DNA. Even Quagmire shows up as the pilot.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Doug may be okay, but something is wrong with whoever is making doug.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Surprised Dexters Lab hasn’t been mentioned.

Not surprised Felix the Cat (the Twisted Tales of) hasn’t. That was a “weird” show that was somehow less cohesive than Ren & Stimpy.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I thought I liked dexter's lab, but thinking back on it, it was pretty bad.

Also it was weirdly misogynist.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ikanreed posted:

I thought I liked dexter's lab, but thinking back on it, it was pretty bad.

Also it was weirdly misogynist.

Geddy is the poo poo but yeah Dexter's Lab was always an A+ show operating at a B+ level, and you kind-of forgave it because you saw the potential it had to be even better. It hasn't aged particularly well.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I always groaned when Doug came on, same with catdog

Ren and stimpy and rocko were the good poo poo

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

mind the walrus posted:

Geddy is the poo poo but yeah Dexter's Lab was always an A+ show operating at a B+ level, and you kind-of forgave it because you saw the potential it had to be even better. It hasn't aged particularly well.

https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/1350198179313065987?s=20

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
"Today I dated all of my checks 1986!”

"That's alright, honey. A lot of stuff happened in 1986”

from Dexter's Lab is one of those things I still think about randomly and laugh

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I don't get the Don Knotts character. Why is he Don Knotts? He's not funny like Don Knotts.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I remember Dexter's Lab being pretty good. But the 2001 reboot kinda sucked.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The squishing noise Dee Dee made when she walked always cracked me up. I don't know where that decision came from.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
She always wears ballet shoes. Maybe they squeak?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
They're super quiet, which I can understand would be hard to foley. But girl sounds like she's stomping grapes with every step.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Maybe Dexter made her shoes and they make noise to alert him of her presence.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
re: felix the cat the movie it's kind of nuts they made a movie based on a novelty wall clock.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
He had a comic strip for a long time

Felix the Cat is one of those weird properties that seemed to occupy a very peculiar middle ground in the classic cartoon pantheon where he's been an enduring figure with several transformative interpretations, but I also find it hard to associate him with any particular "brand" for lack of a better term. Like Daffy Duck is easily identifiable as a Looney Tunes character, but what is Felix the Cat except Felix the Cat? He's on the same level as other characters like Woody Woodpecker and Betty Boop that just sort of have their own parallel continuity

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The who framed roger rabbit cinematic universe.

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
The Dexter's Lab episode where he gets detention is easily one of the funniest things I've ever seen

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Volcott posted:

re: felix the cat the movie it's kind of nuts they made a movie based on a novelty wall clock.

The movie is incredible for how bad it is tbh

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i loved the felix the cat movie when i was like 3, but i also haven't seen it since

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I'm constantly impressed by all the directing tricks in dexter and ppg. It's tight, very limited resources, but layout camera and editing go a long way. And not to keep bringing it back to doug, but I keep watching them and this is the show's true failing. It's sloppy and pretending to be jazzy, AND pork chop is just boring snoopy. There's no vision or thought to the writing or direction or animation or anything! Art is magic like that.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

At the very end of this Dexter clip there's a part where the audience flies up out of their seats into the air, evidently it was an animation misunderstanding from Korea, but it was too late so they just added a whoooop sound effect to make it seem like it was supposed to happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NWQCpLmMvk

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think I just assumed they were so enamored by the performance that they were elevated into the sky or something

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Yeah I believe the script called for the audience to "take off" after the show. To be fair though as a kid I somehow understood what the Korean animation team was going for and just assumed it must have been a really transcendent family pizza restaurant animatronic stage performance.

edit: lol yeah exactly

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dexter always had a vague "huffing old carpet smell while having a fever" vibe to it anyway, so the animation error kind of makes sense

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I was surprised they got this one past standards and practices:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j-vg5aYndQE

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Heath posted:

He's on the same level as other characters like Woody Woodpecker and Betty Boop that just sort of have their own parallel continuity

I forget the source but I like the line "what's the deal with woody woodpecker, he's like some kind of an instigator?"

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

I was surprised they got this one past standards and practices:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j-vg5aYndQE

I honestly don't think they watched Cartoon Network shows that closely. Hell I think they went to air without anybody really seeing them but the team that made them.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I forget the source but I like the line "what's the deal with woody woodpecker, he's like some kind of an instigator?"

It's Seinfeld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

mind the walrus posted:

Dexter always had a vague "huffing old carpet smell while having a fever" vibe to it anyway, so the animation error kind of makes sense

Oh absolutely
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj5pXytIY_4