Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
"You don't need a rube to hold the bag if the company you own is profitable." The bag holders obviously invested in the companies that became unprofitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

kw0134 posted:

Nothing. Duh. But the investment that everyone is going "well this is heavily manipulated" is not a poster child for "let's have anyone who heard a 'tip' on WSB to go place leveraged and speculative bets using financial instruments they likely don't actually understand."

Like if your argument is solely that we're all adults and we should let people throw themselves into a burning pyre because they think it's fun, then fine. But let's not pretend that pretty much any time retail traders do something like this it ends well for the majority of them, or even more than a small fraction of them.
If regulators want to freeze it, fine, if the exchange wants to delist it, fine- the issue here is that retail investors were blocked from this asset while institutional investors were not

Yes, a bunch of too-late-to-the-party people were always going to get hosed here, but limiting the buy-side pressure to allow hedge funds time to unwind their irresponsible positions is pretty shady

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
we dont want the market to get volatile so we'll just allow you to sell it. there is no ulterior motive to this and nevermind the idea we could just halt ALL trading, just buys.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

wyoak posted:

If regulators want to freeze it, fine, if the exchange wants to delist it, fine- the issue here is that retail investors were blocked from this asset while institutional investors were not

Yes, a bunch of too-late-to-the-party people were always going to get hosed here, but limiting the buy-side pressure to allow hedge funds time to unwind their irresponsible positions is pretty shady
...which by definition requires more money from late-to-the-party "investors" to come burn their money at the pyre. Like, yes, absolutely if there is collusion between brokers and shortsellers, then they need to get nailed to the wall, but the price action doesn't magically happen in a way that doesn't require a flood of people to come and dump it into the market at the likely outcome they get wrecked when the music stops.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone knows what they're doing and the risks involved. Informed consent and such. It's exactly like timing the market with any other (extremely volatile) stock.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Chinatown posted:

thats why im all in on dogecoin baybeeeee

https://twitter.com/binance/status/1354812128473931786

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

xtal posted:

Everyone knows what they're doing and the risks involved. Informed consent and such. It's exactly like timing the market with any other (extremely volatile) stock.
Yes, everyone is so informed that's why people plowed their life savings into Hertz even with the big bankruptcy banner at the top, because they all understood the risks and not that they saw it was a big name and had no understanding of how bankruptcies proceed!

...oh.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

kw0134 posted:

...which by definition requires more money from late-to-the-party "investors" to come burn their money at the pyre. Like, yes, absolutely if there is collusion between brokers and shortsellers, then they need to get nailed to the wall, but the price action doesn't magically happen in a way that doesn't require a flood of people to come and dump it into the market at the likely outcome they get wrecked when the music stops.
yes, but the idea behind a short squeeze is that those late-to-the-party investors are the people who had the shorts, since they have to buy at the peak from the people who were holding before the squeeze started. obviously with memestocks this gets messy since a bunch of people will jump on right at the peak but at a certain point if they're not buying on margin you have to let people do what they want.

blocking retail investors from buying it allowed the shorters to unwind at a lower price than they otherwise would have had....there are also stories leaking out about RH closing some GME positions that weren't even on margin, but i'm a little skeptical on that for now

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

kw0134 posted:

Yes, everyone is so informed that's why people plowed their life savings into Hertz even with the big bankruptcy banner at the top, because they all understood the risks and not that they saw it was a big name and had no understanding of how bankruptcies proceed!

...oh.

If you do that you deserve it

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Like, yeah, if your animating principle is that the hedge funders need to get hosed with the sharpest, pointiest stick that one can procure, I'm in total sympathy with that (and the reports are that the shorts like collectively like 16 billion yesterday). But that's not really about serving the people who use a retail app like Robinhood is it, then? Because you can't exactly send the price to the moon without a lot of other buyers also deciding they totally need to jump on this rocket ship to wealth.

At some point the price is going to collapse; the shorts get covered, the early longs retire. If you want to argue that it's better that the bubble collapse later with a bunch of retail investors who brought in at $600 than it is a bunch of people who brought at $300 then I'd like to hear it.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
i agree with you in principle, i'm just saying that RH's motive in blocking buys wasn't to protect WSB'ers and they prioritized hedge funds getting out of the bubble first

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

You also have to consider the profit motive. RH's revenue depends on both having a bunch of people who both have money in the account (to benefit from interest earned on deposits) and from rebating exchange fees by providing liquidity in trades, as well as selling the trading info of its traders.

You can't do any of that if a bunch of your userbase blows up their accounts.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Robinhood's biggest customer is Citadel, Citadel bailed out one of the firms who overshorted, it's very possible that pressuring RH to sacrifice its brand to allow their exposure to be reduced cheaply is profitable for them

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
How is Binance still alive? Or is it just a zombie twitter account?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So if I read this right, owning a dogecoin is now worth negative money.

Can Bitcoin say the same? :cheerdoge:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Nessus posted:

Chinatown posted:

thats why im all in on dogecoin baybeeeee

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Zaurg bought some doggie coins, didn't he.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Look, in the past 24 hours dogecoin jumped up 700% in value. Bitcoin has barely cracked 4% This proves without a doubt that the bitcoin hodlers were wrong, and it is indeed the glourious dogecoin that will one day replace fiat currency as the way you buy pizzas in the future. You can use it to buy all the same things you can buy bitcoin with, PLUS there's a dog, and dogs are scientifically proven to be man's best friend.

Wouldn't you like to invest in your best friend?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Looking forward to Seraph telling us about how much money they made off Dogecoin

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Slumpy posted:

also finding this thread to be surprisingly anti-drug, couple with poopoo peepee humor and calling people imbeciles its like a Raegan appreciation station in here

Makes sense. This place smells like loving crypt dust

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Somfin posted:

Looking forward to Seraph telling us about how much money they made off Dogecoin
I'm sure Seraph, in between the tiresome recitations on how IF ONLY WE HADN'T LISTENED TO GOONS, we could have made so much money, will admit that he did sell his Doge holdings a little early... which is why his very hot girlfriend (not shown) has put him

in a sad manic cycle which just leaves him constantly chasing that high and that feeling of social acceptance which only comes in fainter and fainter glimmers which he cannot possibly understand and which hurts so, so terribly much, no matter how long the night or how hard the drugs in the DOG HOUSE

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nessus posted:

"I don't understand, it seems to be ending on an upswing oh my god that's not the border"

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

There were 4chan memers shilling Dogecoin hard yesterday trying to tap into the Gamestop hype.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Splicer posted:

"I don't understand, it seems to be ending on an upswing oh my god that's not the border"

At a certain point, 1 DOGE was worth like -0.90USD.

I'm genuinely curious how that happened. Was there much motion at that price? Can we use this to fund the forums?

Normally I'd assume some kind of display glitch, but the actual answer is probably something even stupider. Like Trump spent the philosopher's legacy on DOGE but put in the wrong keystroke.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 29, 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The price of dogecoin is tied to someone's ekg machine?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nessus posted:

At a certain point, 1 DOGE was worth like -0.90USD.

I'm genuinely curious how that happened. Was there much motion at that price? Can we use this to fund the forums?

Normally I'd assume some kind of display glitch, but the actual answer is probably something even stupider. Like Trump spent the philosopher's legacy on DOGE but put in the wrong keystroke.
In the original screenshot the line is so vertical I didn't realise it was part of the chart at first and thought it was the border of the page element

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

ilmucche posted:

The price of dogecoin is tied to someone's ekg machine?

IT'S ALIVE!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Splicer posted:

In the original screenshot the line is so vertical I didn't realise it was part of the chart at first and thought it was the border of the page element
Yeah, I grabbed that one while it was, in fact, happening.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Why do the Buttcoiners in the thread think "nocoiners" are pro-stock market? I've railed against the stock market and neoliberal capitalism for years, and they are pretty much the real-world toxin that Buttcoin is a cartoon version of.

I'm just kidding when I ask why they think that, by the way; I know the reason.

It's because they're dumb.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Why do the Buttcoiners in the thread think "nocoiners" are pro-stock market? I've railed against the stock market and neoliberal capitalism for years, and they are pretty much the real-world toxin that Buttcoin is a cartoon version of.

I'm just kidding when I ask why they think that, by the way; I know the reason.

It's because they're dumb.
Probably because the terrifying gulfs of reality revealed when you consider the prospect that other people not only exist but may authentically hold different values from you - rather than just lying or using slightly different terms - overwhelm their little walnut brains, sending them shrieking to their number screens for comfort.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Actually GME is a deep state financial ploy to avoid further recession from coronavirus. With quantitative easing just about tapped the deep state needs more cash velocity but needs to find it more esoterically. Enter in a fake grass roots campaign to short squeeze institutions. The institutions balance books are going nowhere useful for the economy and just trap dollars in a spreadsheet. Letting retail traders tap it puts cash in the hands of a bunch of dorks about to buy PS5s and iphones. Then the system will heal itself. Working as designed, magically no further regulation will come of this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

zedprime posted:

Actually GME is a deep state financial ploy to avoid further recession from coronavirus. With quantitative easing just about tapped the deep state needs more cash velocity but needs to find it more esoterically. Enter in a fake grass roots campaign to short squeeze institutions. The institutions balance books are going nowhere useful for the economy and just trap dollars in a spreadsheet. Letting retail traders tap it puts cash in the hands of a bunch of dorks about to buy PS5s and iphones. Then the system will heal itself. Working as designed, magically no further regulation will come of this.

It'd be lol but the institutions are not capable of this level of being stupid on purpose

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It'd be lol but the institutions are not capable of this level of being stupid on purpose
I'm fake conspiracy posting but the past 100 years of securities history has like 15 examples of 3/5 of the largest institutions making the absolute worst choice possible when an entirely bone headed derivative is put in front of them. There's no purpose or thought for them in this plan besides being an existing patsy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's become more and more clear that literally all of our 'institutions' are actually just daycares for failchildren and they are less qualified to do literally anything than your average fast food worker

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The fact Robinhood refused orders due to capital requirements in the overnight lending market instead of their order flow overlord (great username btw) is a great "checkmate coiners" moment. Even an extremely shady "Uber/Tinder but for stocks" app has to ensure clients can only get hosed by a bubble popping and not their brokerage being unable to cover accounts.

Meanwhile, the tether printer... :retrogames::newfap:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's become more and more clear that literally all of our 'institutions' are actually just daycares for failchildren and they are less qualified to do literally anything than your average fast food worker
80% of traders I've met have been unqualified to do even their own jobs, and that goes well above 90% for bank middle management.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Tether is doing better than the stock market rn lol

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Slumpy posted:

what investment results in everyone profiting? why is this an argument? is there like, an example?
There are investments like AAA rated bonds and Treasury Notes that are always "profitable" in that they will pay out and not go down in value, but they might pay out at a rate lower than inflation.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

xtal posted:

Numbers and laws are difficult concepts for you, so that explains why you'd think tether is good.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

xtal posted:

And a standard 10 year T-note does better than both on any single week you want to look at, but is a meaningless comparison :jerkbag:

CannonFodder posted:

There are investments like AAA rated bonds and Treasury Notes that are always "profitable" in that they will pay out and not go down in value, but they might pay out at a rate lower than inflation.
More broadly, and something I forgot to say at the time, buying a sufficiently large section of the market (as in index funds and the like) is as bullet-proof an investment as one can make over the long term, as that basically is buying a huge slice of the national economy. As long as the economy does well enough then it will be profitable; if we're at the point where the economy is failing and cannot sustain long term gains then you're not going to be retiring anyway since we'll be too busy dodging cannibals or pulling plows for the warlords of Guzzolinetown.

Yes, when you're day trading GME or whatever then there's a loser and a winner because those daily fluctuations are the result of price action that comes from a trader making the right bet and a loser making the wrong bet. Year over year it (should) be the result of economic gains accruing from those businesses those stocks represent making a profit from real economic activity. Growth in productivity and the economy are not zero-sum transactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Pro tip: I added Slumpy to my ignore list yesterday. Only about the third idiot ever to earn the privilege, congrats Slumpy. Doing so immediately restored the readability of this thread tenfold, to pre-Slumpy levels.

You can tell a troll but you can't tell 'em much, so why bother attempting it, or listening to their idiotic BS at all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)