Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I dunno if people are aware but the forums normally are totally free to view, and from time to time specific subforums go up behind the paywall. Obviously paywalling all the time doesn't induce registrations because people don't know what they're missing.

I do still like the idea that you can get a Viewing account for free that lets you read and bookmark threads but nothing else, and then you can pay for the ability to post or have it gifted to you by a sponsor.

Unironically I registered for old GBS stuff like Photoshop Friday and MS Paint stuff that doesn't happen any more after GBS was nuked for being too 'redditlike'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Heath posted:

What value is there in knowing what was paid?

We need to be able to solicit bids should Yeff of Jospos gets a taste for feet and FedEx Cookies and need to be deposed in turn.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
let's put low tax behind us, including whatever sum of money he got. he is not relevant any more.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

A few years ago I got a RAP shirt and it's still one of my most comfortable favorites. There are also some very talented goons (see the SASS threads) who can make injoke items. But what I'm really craving right now is ugly magnetic chip clips and/or other branded tradeshow swag.

You can even order custom GOOD POSTING omamori and ema.
https://omamori1.com/%E8%82%8C%E5%BE%A1%E5%AE%88%E3%82%8A%E3%81%AE%E3%81%94%E6%B3%A8%E6%96%87/
https://www.pr-youhin.co.jp/SHOP/161228/list.html
https://www.pr-youhin.co.jp/SHOP/161235/list.html

peanut fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 29, 2021

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
ngl, I'd not be able to resist dropping money on an @somethingawful.com email address.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I use the paid member photo upload function a lot, usually while phone posting. I'd pay more to be able to upload larger images or multiple images in one post. Hotlinking and/or rehosting is effort.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

peanut posted:

I use the paid member photo upload function a lot, usually while phone posting. I'd pay more to be able to upload larger images or multiple images in one post. Hotlinking and/or rehosting is effort.

A better attachment system is planned.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Knormal posted:

The 32-bit time bug has been fixed for ages in all modern OSes.

It may still be broken in various apps, but everyone's still got 17 years to upgrade to a patched version. Maybe we'll even be off vBulletin by then.
It's still not fixed in mysql so, well, we're in good company.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Rooted Vegetable posted:

SA has a lot more potential than that for stupid stuff you can't get anywhere else.

* Force hats on others
* Mess with posts backgrounds (but don't fall into the forum cancer issue)
* Change (or add) an image to another posters "thank you for posting, we hope it didn't suck" page
* Temporarily replace one smiley with another in a thread.

Edit: pay to write probe reasons (cannot pay to probe, just change the reason - some exclusions where common sense says so)

Something I have seen in other forums in 2001 is automatically replacing some words for other word in html. Like the forum could replace every instance of rear end for butt in bold with pink letters.

This way SA can be a proper christian forum.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Zombiepop posted:

Combine it, X% of any profit goes to charity. Would make it easier to talk about the forums irl as well. On the one hand goatman and shitposting on the other hand love and healing. That ying yang poo poo.

this is a great idea btw

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's pretty crazy that after all these years Lowtax would still be getting 4-7k a month (after all the fees) from this place and Patreon money on top of it while the place basically runs itself thanks to unpaid volunteers. I wonder what his income was 10-15 years ago.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's still not fixed in mysql so, well, we're in good company.

Use postgres

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Bravo, Lowtax, you made a good choice in Jeffrey.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Palpek posted:

It's pretty crazy that after all these years Lowtax would still be getting 4-7k a month (after all the fees) from this place and Patreon money on top of it while the place basically runs itself thanks to unpaid volunteers. I wonder what his income was 10-15 years ago.

At a guess? At least three thousand cookies.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Tei posted:

Something I have seen in other forums in 2001 is automatically replacing some words for other word in html. Like the forum could replace every instance of rear end for butt in bold with pink letters.

This way SA can be a proper christian forum.

browse logged out for a few minutes, we've had that for ages

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

bewilderment posted:

I dunno if people are aware but the forums normally are totally free to view, and from time to time specific subforums go up behind the paywall. Obviously paywalling all the time doesn't induce registrations because people don't know what they're missing.

I do still like the idea that you can get a Viewing account for free that lets you read and bookmark threads but nothing else, and then you can pay for the ability to post or have it gifted to you by a sponsor.

Unironically I registered for old GBS stuff like Photoshop Friday and MS Paint stuff that doesn't happen any more after GBS was nuked for being too 'redditlike'.

lol what there’s been a photoshop thread or mspaint or both stuck at the top of GBS since like 2018

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Appreciate the openness!

A Patreon would be a good idea to establish a baseline semi-stable income, as long as subs got some token benefits.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Palpek posted:

There was a guy cosplaying as the SA paywall page at a Danganronpa convention.

:five:

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

bewilderment posted:

For the longest time (probably 2-3 years) I was a freeloader on this forum and I really thought people wrote gently caress and I could never understand what it was meant to be, I don't really have a point/argument except that I think the periodic free to read (and then back to being paywalled) was/is one of the most clever things about creating excitement for this forum and wanting you to reconsider if $10 is worth it for the forum experience (it is).

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Palpek posted:

Whatever it was, I feel comfort in that he almost certainly blew it all on nothing. And that's beautiful.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

A few years ago I got a RAP shirt and it's still one of my most comfortable favorites. There are also some very talented goons (see the SASS threads) who can make injoke items. But what I'm really craving right now is ugly magnetic chip clips and/or other branded tradeshow swag.

You can even order custom GOOD POSTING omamori and ema.
https://omamori1.com/%E8%82%8C%E5%BE%A1%E5%AE%88%E3%82%8A%E3%81%AE%E3%81%94%E6%B3%A8%E6%96%87/
https://www.pr-youhin.co.jp/SHOP/161228/list.html
https://www.pr-youhin.co.jp/SHOP/161235/list.html

Honestly I'd love to see more lovely merch, I love my "THE INTERNET MAKES YOU STUPID" license plate frame and all of the shirts Lowtax made were low effort garbage I wouldn't even wear ironically.

And whoever said the photo upload feature, I'm lazy as gently caress and would pay $10-20 to expand the upload size limit. Hell, I'd sub at $5/month just so I don't have to expend the extra energy uploading an image, I am that lazy

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

With imgur circling the drain (you now have to watch an ad to upload), I think there's a pretty clear call for some kind of replacement. Unlike imgur, imageshack, waffleimages, etc, SA actually has a functioning business model, so it might actually stick around this time.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Oh wow, there's a second angle

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Palpek posted:

Who is this person?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Palpek posted:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ColdPie posted:

With imgur circling the drain (you now have to watch an ad to upload),

no you don't

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Palpek posted:

lmao what a boss

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Palpek posted:

Is that Dag Man Roomba?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

ChubbyChecker posted:

no you don't

https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/comments/ioz4uq/imgur_tries_to_be_smart_and_blocks_uploading_of/

https://www.resetera.com/threads/when-uploading-images-to-imgur-you-now-require-turning-off-your-ad-blockers-in-order-to-upload.328169/

https://www.reddit.com/r/assholedesign/comments/k6i86u/imgur_now_requires_that_you_watch_a_30_second/

https://www.resetera.com/threads/hmm-so-we-now-have-to-watch-30-second-ads-just-to-upload-images-to-imgur.338320/

I mean there's ways around it and obviously anyone with a brain is already using an ad blocker, but this shows their business model isn't working and they're going to flame out like every other image host has.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Slimy Hog posted:

Who is this person?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Palpek posted:

“Truly, truly, I say to you, one of you will betray me.”

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Owns.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

See, out-of-nowhere photoshops like this are reason #6,536 that I've stuck around the forums all these years.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pick posted:

Give us a special icon once we hit 100,000 posts, I'm close, dammit so close

Then stop getting probed, goddammit.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Let people pay to ban people. You’ll kill the user base in the long run but this is America and only the next quarter is what is important.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Powered Descent posted:

See, out-of-nowhere photoshops like this are reason #6,536 that I've stuck around the forums all these years.

My immediate thought was "only goons would just turn the state of the forums thread into a photoshop thread"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Sounds good. Nice to see real numbers and transparency.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Sounds good. Nice to see real numbers and transparency.

Yeah, I'm way more willing to donate or something if I feel like my few buckaroos can actually do some good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol