Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
every once in awhile i just look at this post in awe https://old.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/d1g7x0/hey_burry_thanks_a_lot_for_jacking_up_my_cost/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
gamestop is gonna make a deal with the short sellers for treasury shares and make a ludicrous amount of money off this while freezing out everyone else

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

human garbage bag posted:

But aren't they also eating huge interest fees if they drag this out?

The interest is only if you hold after the set time. The shorted stocks have already been covered so they are just entirely punched out.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

I don't think Wall Street's ever been directly attacked like this by Main Street before. The responses are also just as unprecedented. I don't know what will come of this but I can't wait.

Attack and dethrone hedge funds

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

super sweet best pal posted:

I don't think Wall Street's ever been directly attacked like this by Main Street before. The responses are also just as unprecedented. I don't know what will come of this but I can't wait.

New SEC rule requiring all pattern day traders not associated with a firm have $100,000 cash on hand at all times to cover positions.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

mila kunis posted:

the scolding responses from the news and people up top plus the way brokerages have been acting have me incredibly suspiscious that there's some kind of financial contagion that's gonna spread from the shorters getting wrecked
It can't be that bad, how many retirement plans could be linked to Citadel?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Chamale posted:

I hear Vanguard and TDA are not loving their customers

I thought TDA did some fuckery yesterday?

Vanguard is on like a 20 minute delay, so probably not a great day trader.

Any other good options out there?

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Lawlicaust posted:

Looks like RH is now restricting the ability to move buying power from Stocks to Crypto. I bought into doge yesterday afternoon then sold it high last night and bought stocks. I had a few hundred dollars left in my buying power that I was going to use to buy some more doge and pull the same poo poo over the weekend.

Nope, suddenly unable to put any money in crypto because there’s a 3 day waiting period in buying power available across the two. Guess I’m just going to sit here until I can pull the money out entirely.

Wonder how hosed RH got on Doge today.

same here, I can't pull out either. This is so fuckin dumb I want memecoins

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

The interest is only if you hold after the set time. The shorted stocks have already been covered so they are just entirely punched out.

How do you know this?

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

loving LMAO at WSB figuring out how to get around Robinhood's share restriction by exercising options, the one thing that basically every single finance person, including itt soup & oxsnard, will tell you to never ever bother doing

So they didn't think to put in restrictions against that

I have no idea that that means, but GO WSB freaks, GO!

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

mila kunis posted:

the scolding responses from the news and people up top plus the way brokerages have been acting have me incredibly suspiscious that there's some kind of financial contagion that's gonna spread from the shorters getting wrecked

yeah agree, the overreaction to this with no plausible explanation why other than 'people may get hurt, meme stocks are worthless' is extremely worrying considering no one really gives a poo poo if people get hurt and all stocks are 'worthless' so yeah who the gently caress knows, but it's a BIG DEAL they say.

In the end I don't think any amount of yelling THESE ARE SCAMS is gonna work if this things stays above even $200 for a few more days. If it doesn't start dropping majorly soon the mainstream financial outlets will lose all credibility with people who still trust that garbage.

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
so if they want to prevent a massive angry mob they probably just have to keep the price about where its at forever right

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

All investors need to have substantial coverage funds and a degree from Harvard

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Porpoise With A Purpose posted:

same here, I can't pull out either. This is so fuckin dumb I want memecoins

Yeah, I have money I can't do poo poo with due to the trade limits but its no enough to buy and exercise options. So my only option is just sit around or play Doge roulette over the weekend.

Nope, no roulette for me.

Edit: Would have made a solid 50% gains so far if I'd been able to buy at the dip like I wanted.

I'm just going to let any unspend buying power rest until I can pull it back into my checking account. gently caress RH.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Bone Crimes posted:

How do you know this?

they don't

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
DOGE GOING UP

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Low prices friends! Checking in for first time today, did capitalism get its algorithms crushed today?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bone Crimes posted:

How do you know this?

What other possible explanation is there? They're just going to indefinitely hold shorts until people get bored? If they weren't buying back stocks at elevated rates then they wouldn't need to get cash from other brokers.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

The hope was that they would wait out the contract to the very last second hoping for a dip and then sell. If they decide to just eat the loss them they could just slowly buy out shares to cover at the elevated rate without creating any spikes.

Yes this makes sense, perhaps there is some counter party agreement when you borrow the stocks that this is the penalty if you don't provide the stock, and they wanted to prevent that gamma parabola, so this might be the better of the two bad options for them.

However, it seems that it might not be that smart considering the attention it has gotten, and everybody and their mother's uncle buying in. So lol, while it might not go to the moon, it might still track up, and they will have to eat the interest and the increase.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

so if they want to prevent a massive angry mob they probably just have to keep the price about where its at forever right

the establishment should have done nothing but now it looks like they put their fingers on the scale in favor of hedge funds so the bag holders aren’t going to feel personally responsible for losing their shirts, they can blame others.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

CuddleCryptid posted:

I don't believe you. Why would they manipulate the market like they have if they weren't in deep poo poo?

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

DOGE RALLYING BIGLY cheerdoge:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I don't believe you. Why would they manipulate the market like they have if they weren't in deep poo poo?

Look at their post history lmao

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

my stumym upset

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Good Citizen posted:

gamestop is gonna make a deal with the short sellers for treasury shares and make a ludicrous amount of money off this while freezing out everyone else
This is terribly unfunny and also probably not far off from what will happen. :sigh:

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Also who is getting the interest payments?

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
why is p much nothing happening after hours

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

why is p much nothing happening after hours

Because 1 stonk only per person

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Desperately seeking out a venue to purchase more than 10 shares of tootsie roll

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

the worst outcome is probably if capital threatens the gamestop board and forces them to issue a share offering

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Because every time the market dips they can buy moderately reduced shares?

I mean if you want to throw your money away it's on you.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Is everything cool that was supposed to happen not going to happen or do we just have to wait till Monday/next week?

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
most of the shorts due today covered when the stock was manipulated below 115 yesterday. Today there was still 11B in outstanding short interest. Most of that is actually new short interest probably > $300.

Nobody knows where this really stands. My feeling is if it hasn't fallen past 100 already most of the players are locked in for another week. Guess we'll see Monday morning.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Also who is getting the interest payments?

yeah, good question. can be get an expert opinion? perhaps Cumshitter knows?

If I had to guess, there is probably a agreement when you borrow the shares that the borrower can not give it back for a huge interest penalty, so in that case the penalty would go to the original stock lender.

in thinking about it, this might also screw up future shorts, as there is less of a pool if this keeps going. lol.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

So theoretically the fed can just print money to pay this interest for the shorts indefinitely until people finally sell their gme shares?
yes but imagine the political shitshow we'll get if the fed bails out a wallstreet hedge fund while still arguing down stimulus checks

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

My sell limit order I placed for 3,000 on my GME got cancelled.

What the gently caress? Why do I still have my stock and no money yet?

gently caress it, I'm placing it at 4,000 this time for Monday

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

DoomTrainPhD posted:

DOGE GOING UP

I would give DOGE updates, but she isn't allowed by the pool because she will immediately fall in.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

loving LMAO at WSB figuring out how to get around Robinhood's share restriction by exercising options, the one thing that basically every single finance person, including itt soup & oxsnard, will tell you to never ever bother doing

So they didn't think to put in restrictions against that

Just absolute LOL

The GameStop mob is going to loving win!

this is amazing

seriously amazing

"ok here your payout", "no I want shares", "please payout?"

"shares."

"paaaaaaayout?????"

shares

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
TDA definitely did fuckery. Vanguard and Fidelity did not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

NeonPunk posted:

My sell limit order I placed for 3,000 on my GME got cancelled.

What the gently caress? Why do I still have my stock and no money yet?

gently caress it, I'm placing it at 4,000 this time for Monday

Did you place a Day order or a GTC (good until cancelled) order? Day orders expire at the end of a trading session.