Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BizarroAzrael posted:

Kind of don't like being reminded of the snap and blip business, ever since Endgame and especially Far From Home it bothered me that everyone just skipped five years. loving people will have remarried! The scene was good though, it's good to depict everyone coming back as being traumatic as well. It's just really narratively messy.

I don't mind some narrative mess when it gives us scenes like that. I really appreciate this episode giving us a more "ground level" look at what it's like to deal with this super-powered poo poo as a normal person - even a highly trained/educated normal person.

Spacebump posted:

This episode was fantastic. I'm really curious how this show is going to end. Dream Scenario we get a Jackman Wolverine temporarily pulled into the MCU for DS2 hook at the end. It's unlikely to happen but it'd be cool if it did.

And speaking of narrative messes... I think something like that might happen at the end of the Dr. Strange movie, but probably not at the end of this show's season - though we might well get Dr. Strange showing up with some kind of "It's all right. I'll take it from here." thing that leads into his movie.

Spacebump posted:

Have animals/bugs only shown up in Westview around intruders? There was the stork around Monica in the first episode and the bees around the beekeeper/SWORD agent in episode 2. Am I missing any? Are animals/bugs some kind of warning system about outsiders? edit: I guess there is also the Rabbit in the second episode.

I think that's more of a coincidence than a theme. With the second episode, Hazmat suits weren't really a thing in the 50s/60s - especially in family sitcoms. Just like the tether partly transformed into a child's jump rope, Vincent's suit turned into a beekeeper's outfit complete with bees, ie something that could fit into the universe of the show. Meanwhile, the stork was from the painting in Wanda's nursery. It came to life due to Wanda's Wacky Preggers PowersTM.which was during the "sitcom" part of the show. poo poo didn't get real in terms of Wanda seeing an intruder until "Geraldine"/Monica mentioned Ultron.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
So Wanda just erased that guy in the hazmat suit from existence, right? They made no mention of him coming back (not that they need to, he very well might have and they just didn't mention it because he's a nameless mook so the audience doesn't necessarily need to know what happened to him) and she "rewound" the tape back to before he climbed out of the sewer so they never see him in the first place. He's just gone now.

Cool stuff, I like the perspective of what's going on outside. And clearly they'll be back to the sitcom stuff since we know it's coming. Looking forward to next Friday already.

I gotta say I was pretty skeptical of Disney+ when it was first announced and only got an account because of the free year from Verizon but between this and The Mandalorian I've been really impressed.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I just had a thought, and it’s a spooky one.

What if Dead Vision wasn’t a brief glance at his fate, but Wanda has somehow reanimated his corpse and her seeing him the way he was/is after Thanos murked him was just her illusion temporarily wearing off?

Surely, Disney wouldn’t go that far down the Cronenberg horror route, would they?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
At least one, potentially 3 major leaks are out/starting to come out for the show. Please don't post them here or if you do put a warning outside the spoiler tag. I accidentally saw one but won't make any reference to it in here.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Spacebump posted:

At least one, potentially 3 major leaks are out/starting to come out for the show. Please don't post them here or if you do put a warning outside the spoiler tag. I accidentally saw one but won't make any reference to it in here.

*in Egon voice*

I looked at the spoilers, Ray.

I ain’t posting those in here; they’re far too spoilery and volatile.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Spacebump posted:

won't say anything about the leaks here except that they seem to be not from next week's episode but the week after that. Wonder how the hell that happened.

edit: okay, I think I can add a bit more - the leaks appear to show more of the (I think) 90s stuff that's been in most of the promos, with Wanda in a cheap Halloween costume version of her classic comics costume. saying anything beyond that would entail actual spoilers

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 29, 2021

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

So given what the

Blip scenes showed us- people definitely fuckin died when they reappeared in mid-air with no airplane around them.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Harlock posted:

So given what the

Blip scenes showed us- people definitely fuckin died when they reappeared in mid-air with no airplane around them.

This got asked a lot when Endgame came out, The official word from the Russos is that people in airplanes were fine, the glove works as a magic wish machine but the smart kind not the monkeys paw kind.

Also

Someone in the show when they were observing the sitcom footage said something to the lines of "whats with the hexagon shapes?" my initial thought is hexagon = 6 = infinity stones. Wandas got infinity power.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 30, 2021

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

One thing I'm expecting to see down the line is Wanda recreating Vision to suit her so excessively that at one point he'll no longer really resemble the android she loved.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

One thing I'm expecting to see down the line is Wanda recreating Vision to suit her so excessively that at one point he'll no longer really resemble the android she loved.

It seems to be just the opposite. She's brought him back too well. Every single episode so far he's questioned the weirdness. I assume because she knows what he's 'supposed' to be like, she made him correct, whereas the 'cast' of WandaVision are just playing stereotypical roles to fit her idyllic life. The problem is that the real Vision wouldn't want to live like this.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Harlock posted:

So given what the

Blip spoilers It was specific in the movie, bring them back "safely". So if someone was in a plane, they ended up on the ground, a ship they went to the nearest coast or something, on a subway they ended up in the nearest station, that kind of thing. No word on what happened to the plane that lost it's pilot, but the passengers on things would have been safe.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Barry Convex posted:

won't say anything about the leaks here except that they seem to be not from next week's episode but the week after that. Wonder how the hell that happened.

edit: okay, I think I can add a bit more - the leaks appear to show more of the (I think) 90s stuff that's been in most of the promos, with Wanda in a cheap Halloween costume version of her classic comics costume. saying anything beyond that would entail actual spoilers

I dunno about the bigger spoilers, but there's already official trailers with Wanda and Vision's Halloween costumes

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Gaz-L posted:

It seems to be just the opposite. She's brought him back too well. Every single episode so far he's questioned the weirdness. I assume because she knows what he's 'supposed' to be like, she made him correct, whereas the 'cast' of WandaVision are just playing stereotypical roles to fit her idyllic life. The problem is that the real Vision wouldn't want to live like this.

Right, for now. But the moment he questioned things, she rubber-banded it back and he's in agreement. It seems like the two are going to throw down over the fate of the town. I could easily see Wanda destroying Vision, but then rebuilding him so he's more agreeable. She'll get what she wants, but not really.

The whole thing reminds me of a comic called Dream War where a magical kid in the Wildstorm Universe conjures up a bunch of DC heroes to kill the Wildstorm heroes for whatever reason. They start out as one-dimensional antagonists, but the more realized they become, the more it affects their behavior. Like early on, Green Arrow is casually killed in a group fight scene. Later on, when Batman is killed, Superman is horrified and wonders, "Hal, Ollie was your best friend. How come none of us cared when he died? Why are we doing this? What is this?"

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Ignis posted:

I dunno about the bigger spoilers, but there's already official trailers with Wanda and Vision's Halloween costumes

The bigger ones were def not in any trailers I saw, be warned.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

massive spider posted:

Someone in the show when they were observing the sitcom footage said something to the lines of "whats with the hexagon shapes?" my initial thought is hexagon = 6 = infinity stones. Wandas got infinity power.

Remember the animated intro to the second episode?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

massive spider posted:

This got asked a lot when Endgame came out, The official word from the Russos is that people in airplanes were fine, the glove works as a magic wish machine but the smart kind not the monkeys paw kind.

Also

At the very least it makes sense that she's tapping Reality power, which would explain why she can't leave -- changes made with the Reality Stone revert when the holder leaves the area. She's made a gilded cage for herself.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

seaborgium posted:

Blip spoilers It was specific in the movie, bring them back "safely". So if someone was in a plane, they ended up on the ground, a ship they went to the nearest coast or something, on a subway they ended up in the nearest station, that kind of thing. No word on what happened to the plane that lost it's pilot, but the passengers on things would have been safe.

omg.
Doesn't a helicopter crashes in the scene where probably Skrull-Nick Fury was blipped? I need to re watch Infinity War again.

Faked Edit: The clip is on youtube and YUP. Helicopter crashes against a building, so probably lots of people died or were severely injured around the globe.

^^I don't consider it a major spoiler, as it's a movie that's been out for a couple of years already.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
As mentioned I can totally see Dr Strange showing up at the end to help Wanda. or hell even Carol showing up too. though that's far fetched.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I can easily see Thanos arranging it so that no one who wasn’t snapped dies, the same way Banner makes it so everyone comes back safe. It’s exactly the kind of thing Thanos would do. In his sick mind, he would consider it magnanimity.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Ignis posted:

that's what I said, that we've already seen countless promos showing Wanda and Vision in chintzy Halloween versions of their classic 616 looks. the leaks show... other things that happen in those scenes

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Phylodox posted:

I think it would be equally valid to have Vision back alive by the end, but the damage to his and Wanda’s relationship being too severe for them to continue as a couple. That’s somehow even more heartbreaking.

I think this is the direction the show is heading personally, if only because I can't see Disney killing Vision twice. It feels too cruel, really. Plus, if the kids are to continue as characters after this show (which they may not, but it seems likely) then it only makes sense that Vision manages to come out of it alive too. Just so disgusted by what Wanda did, not just to the town of Westview, but to him personally, wiping his memories and erasing anything she didn't like about him to make him a perfect partner that there's an irreconcilable difference between the two. As is, we know from promos for the next episode or two that Vision starts questioning the nature of what's happening and seems to come in to conflict with Wanda over it. Which would imply that even if he manages to live that it'd be a point of contention between the two afterwards, since it's not like that would just go away. Or at least, creates a tear in their relationship that could be explored over the course of the rest of Phase 4+ and maybe eventually allow them to retire together after a while as a happy ending the way Steve and Tony both got some kind of happy endings after much strife throughout the first 3 phases of the MCU.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I think I said this a few pages back, but I still think Vision will be dead again at the end of the show and that Wanda's failure to bring him back will be one of the main things that drive her into her role in Doctor Strange 2. Maybe she gets faced with a choice between bringing him back and making Billy and Tommy real and chooses the latter, idk.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Spoiler tags to be safe, for Eps 1-3

Vision's awareness or lack thereof is a real puzzler for me, because you have instances of Wanda clearly not wanting him to know of anything outside of the sitcom world, and yet, in every ending right before the sitcom credits role, Vision always looks extremely uncomfortable. Also in the dinner scene with the Harts, when Mr Hart falls to the ground choking it's like Vision is waiting on a queue from Wanda to know how he should react. Then again, Mrs.Hart knew exactly how to act while still trying to save her husband.

I'm loving the show so far, every episode. Peak for me to this point is "Is that how mirrors work?"

edit: Unrelated, but I really think Agnes might be a red herring. Dotty is the only person who has been outright hostile towards Wanda. Also when Agnes and Herb were whispering about who knows what, Agnes didn't want him to blab something out of fear, not anger. I just found it curious.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 30, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wonder if the horrifying Dead Vision is the MCU’s version of the white costume from the comics.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

So Wanda just erased that guy in the hazmat suit from existence, right? They made no mention of him coming back (not that they need to, he very well might have and they just didn't mention it because he's a nameless mook so the audience doesn't necessarily need to know what happened to him) and she "rewound" the tape back to before he climbed out of the sewer so they never see him in the first place. He's just gone now.

Cool stuff, I like the perspective of what's going on outside. And clearly they'll be back to the sitcom stuff since we know it's coming. Looking forward to next Friday already.

I gotta say I was pretty skeptical of Disney+ when it was first announced and only got an account because of the free year from Verizon but between this and The Mandalorian I've been really impressed.

We don't know. It looked like a lot of stuff was happening at the same time the guy going into the sewers, Monica getting booted out of town. It's possible that we'll see Vincent vomited back the sewer pipe with some kind of brick wall or force field preventing anyone from re-entering that way. Or maybe he'll be reprocessed as "Vinnie: the Bee Guy who keeps pushing his honey on people." Or he's now a bunch of bees still aware that they used to be human, their buzzing his constant scream of horror. No way to tell.

Gonz posted:

I just had a thought, and it’s a spooky one.

What if Dead Vision wasn’t a brief glance at his fate, but Wanda has somehow reanimated his corpse and her seeing him the way he was/is after Thanos murked him was just her illusion temporarily wearing off?

Surely, Disney wouldn’t go that far down the Cronenberg horror route, would they?

Well, the fact that they already showed it indicates that they might. Also, Vision is a robot/android and the Reality stone/power makes things real. It's not like Wanda is just using an illusion to mask that she's loving the rotting corpse of her human boyfriend or something. With the Reality stone/power, Vision is "alive."

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I thought the reality stone went from the Collector straight to Thanos. How would she have access to it?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Something something multiverse?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

smoobles posted:

I thought the reality stone went from the Collector straight to Thanos. How would she have access to it?

The theory is that Wanda somehow inherited the power of the Infinity Stones after Thanos snapped them away

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

What do you mean it's not Tom Cruise?

Was I imagining things? In the car when Darcy was re-introduced, the AI expert looked and sounded suspiciously like James Spader. This expert was actually played by Vince Canlas, but it seems like a very conspicuous casting decision. I wonder if either he was mistaken on set for Spader, or is setting up for an Ultron reveal?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Klungar posted:

The theory is that Wanda somehow inherited the power of the Infinity Stones after Thanos snapped them away

I wonder if that's what the threat of the next few phases will be built around: [speculation on the future of the MCU that has no real bearing on the show]who inherits the powers of the stones? Carol could be/embody the new Space Stone, I suppose for one. Xavier or Jean Grey the new Mind Stone, given that it's only a matter of time before the X-Men are folded in to the MCU now. You could explain Juggernaut using the Power Stone too, rather than having to try to explain Cytorrak in the MCU. Kang could be the time stone too, as a way to explain how he became such a powerful wanderer in time. Thinking about it, I really hope we end up with a story where there's several versions of Kang from different time periods, including one who wants to stop the older or younger version of himself from becoming such a scourge the way the comics have done it over the years. No idea about the Soul Stone though.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

This is what makes it good. The anticipation of seeing an awesome show and then having to look forward to it for another week makes you enjoy it even harder. If you could just binge though them in one sitting it would mean less.

I love staggered releases, it's what made The Boys season 2 such an enjoyable community experience, but these episodes are way too short to be one a week. I think Feige even mentioned that wandavision was made for a single release but was stretch out due to the circumstances

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They referenced that the town was surrounded by something like cosmic energy that has been around since the big bang, and that's what the Infinity Stones were made of.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The close up magic bit made me so happy :)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Codependent Poster posted:

They referenced that the town was surrounded by something like cosmic energy that has been around since the big bang, and that's what the Infinity Stones were made of.

The CMB (Cosmic Microwave Background) radiation. Which is a real thing, and really does play a part in television, because the static displayed on dead channels was the receiver picking up the CMB. It's the remnants of the big bang, radiating endlessly out from that explosion through space. They mentioned that there's much higher concentrations of it than normal there though, if I recall.

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

So some screens/clips were leaked on twitter a few hours ago but were snapped pretty quick so I missed them but was able to save this very interesting tidbit

***Big spoilers*** Got rid of the img tag just in case someone accidentally hovers over it and sees without wanting to. Copy and paste.

https://u.cubeupload.com/BrineDude/I3NWHV.jpg

Edit: There is a clip out there too but I'm going to refrain from posting it unless you all are ok with that. Otherwise, if you really want to be spoiled I would check out the Marvelstudiospoilers subreddit.

LazyDivey fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 30, 2021

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

tsob posted:

The CMB (Cosmic Microwave Background) radiation. Which is a real thing, and really does play a part in television, because the static displayed on dead channels was the receiver picking up the CMB. It's the remnants of the big bang, radiating endlessly out from that explosion through space. They mentioned that there's much higher concentrations of it than normal there though, if I recall.

Thanks. Yeah, the Infinity Stones/Gems are said to have been created from the energies that came from the big bang.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

The CMB thing along with Marvel canon tells me that Wanda is probably creating her own universe in a literal sense.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Did the episodes have titles before today?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Did the episodes have titles before today?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I have two wild guesses. One, at one point Wanda tries to turn back the clock to the 50's sitcom and/or at one point she makes the bubble bigger the agents of S.W.O.R.D. become part of the broadcast.