Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/bhvide/status/1355248775116300291

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

i stared at this for a minute until i realized that this was just books that this editor was involved with. havent heard of any of them other than the jemisin (and i know folks in here sometimes talk about wexler).

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

buffalo all day posted:

i stared at this for a minute until i realized that this was just books that this editor was involved with. havent heard of any of them other than the jemisin (and i know folks in here sometimes talk about wexler).

The wexler one is okay, he often has queer female protagonists.

The O'Keefe one Velocity Weapon is one of the worst things I've read in years, especially one from a major publisher.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Most of the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett - $4.99 each
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TYGGG76/

Baudolino by Umberto Eco - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003PDMMYQ/

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

pradmer posted:

Most of the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett - $4.99 each
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TYGGG76/

Baudolino by Umberto Eco - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003PDMMYQ/

Hey that's great! Baudolino is amazing. I'm gonna pick up Pratchett's Fifth Elephant cause it's the first Discworld book I ever checked out and I haven't read one of these for years.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

branedotorg posted:

The wexler one is okay, he often has queer female protagonists.

The O'Keefe one Velocity Weapon is one of the worst things I've read in years, especially one from a major publisher.

I picked up a sample of Velocity Weapon and bounced off it, so I'm glad to hear somebody else didnt' love it

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The City We Became left me pretty cold. I like modern takes on Lovecraft that actually take a serious look at the racism and I generally like Jemisin, but I couldn't get past the fact that I just don't think New York is as special as everyone from New York thinks it is.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Yeah, that was originally a short story, and I enjoyed it, but being a short story there was only a room for a couple of paragraphs of NYC fluffing.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Ccs posted:

Hey that's great! Baudolino is amazing. I'm gonna pick up Pratchett's Fifth Elephant cause it's the first Discworld book I ever checked out and I haven't read one of these for years.

This was also the first one I ever read! And I just recently read it again as part of the slow, ongoing re-read I've been doing since his death. It really holds up as one of the best books in the series, certainly the second-best in the City Watch arc. And I picked up on a lot more of the very well-interwoven themes of multiculturalism, immigration and change than I did as a kid. Minor interesting point: the new Low King is a compromise candidate who comes from a less powerful clan in Llamedos, Pratchett's Wales stand-in, and clearly has a Welsh accent as he peppers his speech with "see" and "look you;" as an Australian kid that would've gone entirely over my head but as an adult I can see very specifically why that accent, considering what a provincial accent represents in Britain's class system, was chosen by Pratchett for that particular character.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Patrick Spens posted:

Yeah, that was originally a short story, and I enjoyed it, but being a short story there was only a room for a couple of paragraphs of NYC fluffing.

Is that the one about cities "birthing" from How Long Til Black Future Month? I just happened to read it last night. Thought it was good but I agree with the general sentiment of not caring about NYC exceptionalism.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Just read Red Dust by Yoss. A Raymond Chandler obsessed android policeman deals with crime. Good Cuban scifi

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

(The following text has appeared twice in the SFL Archives now. SFLer Donn Seeley posted it originally back in 1990 & then reposted again in 1993 as a followup response to people asking for lists of what Iain Banks has written/complaining about Banks work not getting nominated for Hugo/Nebula awards

The interview (from May 1989) is fun and informative and you
ought to track it down if you have an interest in Banks. Just in case you
haven't ordered a copy of JOURNAL WIRED from Mark Ziesing or your favorite
SF bookstore, I've typed up a summary of Banks's novels based on his
enumeration of his works in the interview. The titles in this list should
be in order by date of writing (NOT publication). Quotes from Banks derive
from the interview.

THE HUNGARIAN LIFT JET. Written in 1970, unpublished. '[A] spy story,
absolutely full of sex and violence, neither of which I'd had any
experience with at the time [laughter].'

TTR. Written in 1972, unpublished. 'Just gigantic. ... It had a cast of
thousands and was very silly.' Quasi-SF in the mold of CATCH-22 and STAND
ON ZANZIBAR.

THE USE OF WEAPONS. Written in 1974 or 1975, unpublished in its original
version; apparently rewritten in the summer of 1989 for publication. SF;
the first novel of the Culture. Like the later novels THE PLAYER OF GAMES
and CONSIDER PHLEBAS, it apparently concerns a misfit or outsider in the
interstellar utopian anarchy of the Culture.

AGAINST A DARK BACKGROUND. Written after WEAPONS; unpublished. SF but not
connected to the Culture stories.

THE PLAYER OF GAMES. Written three years after BACKGROUND, published in
1988 after a bit of rewriting. The second Culture novel. A story about
the nature of competition and cooperation that takes place on a planet
where society is built around an incredibly complex game. Fun, although
the politics is a bit heavy-handed.

THE STATE OF THE ART. Written in 1979, published in 1989 after some
polishing. A novella about Earth and the Culture published as a book. A
Culture starship discovers Earth and members of the crew have different
reactions to our own culture circa 1977. How does a utopia like the
Culture react to an ugly mess like Earth? Some interesting insights into
the Culture but the story doesn't stand by itself.

THE WASP FACTORY. Banks's sixth novel, first one published, in 1984. The
first book 'that I did a second draft on.' As for content - to quote the
author, 'Well, you can call THE WASP FACTORY a lot of things, but MEDIOCRE
it AIN'T.' If you had to classify it, I suppose you could call it
'psychological horror'. FACTORY made a big stir in the UK when it came out
- - some people found it pretty shocking. It's great fun even when it's
being egregiously nasty... Highly recommended.

CONSIDER PHLEBAS. Written after FACTORY; published in 1987, making it the
first published Culture novel. A big and gaudy novel, written as a kind of
send-up of or tribute to classic space opera. As space opera, it kicks rear end
plus it's wonderfully funny. Says Mr Banks: 'CONSIDER PHLEBAS would make a
f***ing BRILLIANT film...' It would, too.

WALKING ON GLASS. Written after PHLEBAS; published in 1985. Very complex
novel about the different ways people experience reality. Reminds me of
Phil Dick and Christopher Priest. Hey, and it's funny too. I read this
first and I still think it's great, but David Hartwell didn't like it and
you might not either. De gustibus.

O. Written after GLASS; unpublished. 'It wasn't very good...'

THE BRIDGE. Written after O; published in 1986. Very strange fantasy
about a man who finds himself in a world where civilization is built on an
infinite bridge over an infinite sea. It contains some bits from the
unpublished novel O. The editor had Banks cut some 40,000 words from the
novel; Banks mentions the idea of publishing an unabridged BRIDGE someday.
However, he says: 'I'm certainly very happy with the way it IS' - the book
is still very effective. I liked it a lot.

ESPEDAIR STREET. Written after BRIDGE; published in 1987. A novel about
the career of a rock musician from Scotland who makes it big but falls from
grace. I liked it but I wasn't overwhelmed; it's a nice character study
with many details from the music business.

CANAL DREAMS. Written after the rewrite of GAMES; published 1989. A short
novel that combines a character study of a classical musician with
nail-biting suspense. The musician is a woman cello player from Japan, so
it's more exotic than it might sound. I rather liked it.

Forthcoming: The rewritten WEAPONS for 1989; a new non-SF book for 1990
('something more like THE BRIDGE, that complicated and intricate [but] a
bit bigger, beefier, as it were, the size of PHLEBAS perhaps'); the rewrite
of BACKGROUND for 1991.

Even before starting the SFL Archives readthrough project, always felt that Iain Banks Consider Phelbas was way more polished (and better written) than the two Culture books that were published after it. Player had a Thomas Covenant style begrudging main character, while the only thing clever in Use to me was the split timeline book structure.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

freebooter posted:

This was also the first one I ever read! And I just recently read it again as part of the slow, ongoing re-read I've been doing since his death. It really holds up as one of the best books in the series, certainly the second-best in the City Watch arc. And I picked up on a lot more of the very well-interwoven themes of multiculturalism, immigration and change than I did as a kid. Minor interesting point: the new Low King is a compromise candidate who comes from a less powerful clan in Llamedos, Pratchett's Wales stand-in, and clearly has a Welsh accent as he peppers his speech with "see" and "look you;" as an Australian kid that would've gone entirely over my head but as an adult I can see very specifically why that accent, considering what a provincial accent represents in Britain's class system, was chosen by Pratchett for that particular character.

Yeah I’m really enjoying it so far. I completely forgot Pratchett doesn’t use chapters and also writers very quick scenes. He breaks a lot of the established “rules” but his work is so readable.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

quantumfoam posted:

Forthcoming: The rewritten WEAPONS for 1989; a new non-SF book for 1990
('something more like THE BRIDGE, that complicated and intricate [but] a
bit bigger, beefier, as it were, the size of PHLEBAS perhaps'); the rewrite
of BACKGROUND for 1991.

Assume 'background' is 'against a dark background' which might be my favourite of his 'M' novels.

It's not as good as his best culture stuff and the ending is a bit off but the world building is exceptional, would have loved to read more about the war and the geopolitics of Golter.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

branedotorg posted:

Assume 'background' is 'against a dark background' which might be my favourite of his 'M' novels.

It's not as good as his best culture stuff and the ending is a bit off but the world building is exceptional, would have loved to read more about the war and the geopolitics of Golter.

Yes it is that novel. Against a Dark Background was mentioned in the 5th paragraph of that interview-requote I posted.

Here is Charles Stross's take on Against a Dark Background.
------------------------------

Date: 23 Aug 93 11:55:01 GMT
Reply-to: sf-lovers-written@Rutgers.Edu
Subject: Re: Iain Banks

rcj@engin.umich.edu (Rod Johnson) writes:
>I actually don't think it's that bad a book, just not up to Banks' usual.
>It certainly has many redeeming qualities - if nothing else, the setting
>and the fantastic proliferation of social and economic systems on Golter,
>and the sense of history compounded by the tragic isolation of the system,
>made for interesting reading.

Sorry, don't agree. Just reviewed Against a Dark Background for Nexus. I
think it's a curate's egg. Bits are good, but lots of it are stinky-rotten
and the background's responsible for a lot of that. The space operatic
trappings of the Culture background doesn't translate into the run-down
claustrophobia of Golter. In AADB the background defaults to
1980's-UK-standard wherever Banks can't be bothered to think of some whacky
new eyeball kick. Take, for example, descriptions of clothing, transport,
environment, cities, ... wherever he lost interest he used contemporary
trappings or bits of gash Central Casing properties from the old SF cliche
repository.

I initially expected AaDB to be the big Banks SF breakthrough, where he
transcends the self-imposed limits of the Culture universe and does
something stunningly good (say, as good within the SF oevre as The Crow
Road or The Bridge are within mainstream). But he didn't deliver, this
time; all we got was some stunning set-pieces, heavy irony, a plot that
read like a Mick Farren novel (only more simplistic), and a startling lack
of character development and insight. AaDB is close to being his worst
novel, although his worst is better-than-average by genre standards. I
still believe he _will_ deliver the greatest SF novel of the 90's sometime
soon, but this is definitely Not The One To Read.

ObRumour: I heard that this was the first SF novel of his to see print that
wasn't a re-write of something he'd first messed with during his teens.

Charlie Stross
charless@scol.sco.com
charlie@antipope.demon.co.uk

------------------------------

My take on AaDB: It has amazing pieces of world building & future technology mixed in with utter stupidity. The main character of AaDB is pretty terrible on all levels, though you probably won't catch onto this until a re-read of AaDB.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
Yeah I bought it on softcover release, read it quite a few times since. sharrow isn't exactly a great character, I just really liked the world building.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PI181JI/

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
NYC is exceptional but only in that it has the most comprehensive public transit in the continental US. It's cool to be able to live car-free and this is a really easy place to do it. That has some implications for functional density which are nice, too. No strip malls, no huge swathes of parking lot—you get to dodge a lot of the zoning troubles that blight a lot of American urban space (or so I learned from a YouTube channel about simcity).

Or so I'm told, maybe I'm wrong. I went to LA once and it upset me.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ccs posted:

Yeah, Baudolino is legit fantastic and great literary fiction for fans of fantasy and adventure.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

pradmer posted:

The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PI181JI/

This book owns.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

General Battuta posted:

NYC is exceptional but only in that it has the most comprehensive public transit in the continental US. It's cool to be able to live car-free and this is a really easy place to do it. That has some implications for functional density which are nice, too. No strip malls, no huge swathes of parking lot—you get to dodge a lot of the zoning troubles that blight a lot of American urban space (or so I learned from a YouTube channel about simcity).

Or so I'm told, maybe I'm wrong. I went to LA once and it upset me.

Yeah I dunno how anyone can live in a place with bad public transit. I’m in Montreal which has great public transit and also rent that’s like $500 a month.

I’m still reading The Fifth Elephant and recognizing how much Pratchett influenced Joe Abercrombie’s authorial voice. Any of Abercrombie’s bits about the army could have been equally about the Watch. The main difference is Joe has more grit and swearing and important characters sometimes die.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Way back when I still used Discord, I tried asking a question but never got a straight answer back.
The question was and still is: Why are SA book barn posters so obsessed with Patrick Rothfuss?

Unrelated note: Made invisible ink from a Kristie Macrakis recipe. Doing so got me curious about the Voynich manuscript wondering if it had ever been tested for invisible inks after making that invisible inks. HD scans of the Voynich manuscript & the sections on stenographic encoding/hidden writing from Codebreakers 2nd edition are what I plan on studying the rest of the weekend.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 31, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

quantumfoam posted:

Way back when I still used Discord, I tried asking a question but never got a straight answer back.
The question was and still is: Why are SA book barn posters so obsessed with Patrick Rothfuss?

Probably cause BotL spent an obscene amount of words deconstructing every chapter of Name of the Wind to explore why it was bad. This morphed into a fascination with why the books were so popular. It’s also because in other parts of the internet Rothfuss is still help up as a great, if slow, writer, and you rarely hear criticism of his prose. So this became a place for people to vent their frustrations with every aspect of his work.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Name of the Wind is basically Infinite Jest for fantasy nerds.

Also the author's got a amazingly fedorable bio out there where he brags about giving relationship advice to girls in college before he'd had a girlfriend, and how he was a "class clown" and "skilled lover of women" and is a total renaissance man and etc. Or in other words, "that guy."

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

C.M. Kruger posted:

Name of the Wind is basically Infinite Jest for fantasy nerds.

what does this even mean?

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Over on Twitter the tragedy-loving lesbian fan-artists have discovered the Baru books and they're producing just a wild amount of delicious art.

https://twitter.com/Marceline2174/status/1355722603374145538?s=20

It looks like a lot of them are finding them after reading the Locked Tomb books.

https://twitter.com/AnaKalashnikova/status/1303710400266018817?s=20

C.M. Kruger posted:

Also the author's got a amazingly fedorable bio out there where he brags about giving relationship advice to girls in college before he'd had a girlfriend, and how he was a "class clown" and "skilled lover of women" and is a total renaissance man and etc. Or in other words, "that guy."

So, his protagonist. lmao

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

awesmoe posted:

what does this even mean?

Exactly what it sounds like.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

tiniestacorn posted:

Over on Twitter the tragedy-loving lesbian fan-artists have discovered the Baru books and they're producing just a wild amount of delicious art.

https://twitter.com/Marceline2174/status/1355722603374145538?s=20

It looks like a lot of them are finding them after reading the Locked Tomb books.

https://twitter.com/AnaKalashnikova/status/1303710400266018817?s=20

So, his protagonist. lmao

That is exactly what's happening. The tragedy loving lesbian fandom of GTN / HTN has found (or rediscovered) the Baru series and yes that includes the fanartists and it's a beautiful thing

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Speaking of lesbians, the Nevernight Chronicles was surprisingly good for being an fledgling assassin series.
Although the Pratchett estate should sue him for his footnote use.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

tiniestacorn posted:

LOL.

https://twitter.com/AnaKalashnikova/status/1355420295734161408

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

quantumfoam posted:

rothfuss is a big name in various niche nerd circles that overlap with goondom

he's been a guest on a lot of big nerd podcasts, hammers the convention circuit really hard, pops up on youtube all the time and even on TV

naturally people become annoyed by this if they think he is bad
or even if they think he is good but are annoyed by him being even slower than GRRM

also I know a guy who was in grad school with him and apparently he brewed a lot of noxious herbal tonics and forced classmates to drink them

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Thought it said 'Bone Doll's Twin' at first and was about to rush to mention how disappointingly non-LGBT that one was despite the premise.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

PupsOfWar posted:

rothfuss is a big name in various niche nerd circles that overlap with goondom

he's been a guest on a lot of big nerd podcasts, hammers the convention circuit really hard, pops up on youtube all the time and even on TV

naturally people become annoyed by this if they think he is bad
or even if they think he is good but are annoyed by him being even slower than GRRM

also I know a guy who was in grad school with him and apparently he brewed a lot of noxious herbal tonics and forced classmates to drink them

I'm glad that the Kusuha Mizuho Health Drink came from someone's real experiences.

But yeah he made it big despite being a very mediocre writer and is extremely arrogant and stuck-up about how writing and how he 'crafts every letter perfectly' and so rejects minor things like being edited and also writes extremely sloppily because he's actually just cramming a bunch of short stories together, so in one bit the writing style completely changes and forgets that you actually know who Kvothe is because he put the first short story he wrote of Kvothe in the middle of the second book.

EDIT: Quote is not edit.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

bwahahahahahaha this is glorious

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Ok. My definition of awful author behavior has repeatedly been reset by reading the SFL Archives.
The Rothfuss behavior stuff that has been described feels like normal-day conduct poo poo from Isaac Asimov/David Brin/Damon Knight/Harlan Ellison/Jerry Pournelle/Brian Aldiss back in their era. So much awful author behavior flew back then that would not be tolerated today.

The person most similar to Patrick Rothfuss in the SFL Archives is probably Daniel Keys Moran. DKM was similarly over-hyped and bragging despite a lack of output on already planned out stories.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/SFRuminations/status/1355708781095759875

The preview didn't show the full cover and I was all "it can't be that bad" and lo

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The Wanderer by Fritz Leiber is exactly that terrible and deserves that accurate cover.
tldr summary of The Wanderer: alien cat-girls destroy the Moon resulting in 250 pages of by-the-numbers disaster porn.

Definitely enjoying the weirdness of the Voynich manuscript.
And if anyone likes real-life puzzles based on fiction, check out the KRYPTOS sculpture. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kryptos
4th segment is still unbroken.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have a cart from book outlet filled with a bunch of speculative fiction and looking for thoughts on the following before I click buy. Anything stand out as particularly high or low quality?

Summerland by Hannu Rajaniemi

Hearts of Oak by Eddie Robson

The City in the Middle of the Night by Charlie Jane Anders

The Only Harmless Great Thing by Brooke Bolander

The Brotherhood of the Wheel by R.S. Belcher (this one seems the most dubious to me... I’m ok with trashy, but I have my limits)

Waste Tide by Quen Qiufan

Among Others by Jo Walton

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

I have a cart from book outlet filled with a bunch of speculative fiction and looking for thoughts on the following before I click buy. Anything stand out as particularly high or low quality?

Summerland by Hannu Rajaniemi

Summerland is sci-fi mixed with a Cold War spy thriller. Recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

quantumfoam posted:

The person most similar to Patrick Rothfuss in the SFL Archives is probably Daniel Keys Moran. DKM was similarly over-hyped and bragging despite a lack of output on already planned out stories.

I looked him up on Wikipedia and yup, that seems about right. Even his photo gives off similar vibes.