Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

One of those Youtube cinema essay people pointed out how Spielberg is lowkey one of the best "single shot" directors. They aren't as long as the famous scenes in Children of Men or True Detective but a movie like War of the Worlds will have a scene that goes on for like 45 seconds and you don't even realize the camera hasn't cut away the whole time. Spielberg uses it to ramp up the tension and dread but it keeps you invested in the story since you're not thinking about it being a one take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Stumbled on this article the other day: https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/the-expanse-the-challenges-behind-filming-winnipesaukee.html/

Apparently the Winnipesaukee set was three different locations, all of which are part of the shootout. The flyover is somewhere in Ontario, I think; I forget where the exterior scenes were filmed but the personnel entrance/hangar door was built in place where there was already a garage door for that house; the tunnel to the shuttle was a tunnel under Ontario Tech University; and the interior hangar scenes with the shuttle were all filmed in a wind tunnel somewhere. There's at least one semi-obvious cut in the shootout just after Amos closes the metal double-doors and the camera pans quickly left to point down the tunnel to the hangar.

I noticed the first cut there when watching the episode on the first go-around, but missed the second cut. It was still a pretty impressive set piece--there were a lot of moving parts to include, they were firing actual blanks, and apparently it was -34°F each night they filmed.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Stumbled on this article the other day: https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/the-expanse-the-challenges-behind-filming-winnipesaukee.html/

Apparently the Winnipesaukee set was three different locations, all of which are part of the shootout. The flyover is somewhere in Ontario, I think; I forget where the exterior scenes were filmed but the personnel entrance/hangar door was built in place where there was already a garage door for that house; the tunnel to the shuttle was a tunnel under Ontario Tech University; and the interior hangar scenes with the shuttle were all filmed in a wind tunnel somewhere. There's at least one semi-obvious cut in the shootout just after Amos closes the metal double-doors and the camera pans quickly left to point down the tunnel to the hangar.

I noticed the first cut there when watching the episode on the first go-around, but missed the second cut. It was still a pretty impressive set piece--there were a lot of moving parts to include, they were firing actual blanks, and apparently it was -34°F each night they filmed.

Yeah, I didn't want to burst any bubbles, but I think there are about 3 sneaky cuts in there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's similar to Charlie Work. It's two different sets. There's the interior set which is the bar, and then an exterior set which I think is actually in Philly. So they had to do creative cuts when Charlie goes from from inside to outside and vice versa.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Cojawfee posted:

That's similar to Charlie Work. It's two different sets. There's the interior set which is the bar, and then an exterior set which I think is actually in Philly. So they had to do creative cuts when Charlie goes from from inside to outside and vice versa.
Can't they just cut from inside to outside like 99% of films and TV? I don't see why they'd have to be creative. "Interior and exterior are two different sets" is the typical way of filming.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Can't they just cut from inside to outside like 99% of films and TV? I don't see why they'd have to be creative. "Interior and exterior are two different sets" is the typical way of filming.

It's more spectacular to do oner's, even simulated oner's.

That said, every time I see a shot of excessive duration extended thanks to digital shot stitching, or one of those ugly whip pans, or "sneaky" zooms into the smalls of people's backs, I get disappointed. Regardless of whether the sequence works or not, it just ends up feeling like a failure.

(There are always exceptions, e.g. if the shot's already been going for ten minutes, as in Rope.)

Neither of The Expanses two big oner's were achieved without digital trickery, but I thought last year's was quite good regardless. And I appreciated the effort here; it's one of the few moments where I felt the Earth bound story was as viscerally gruelling as it needed to be.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006
Possible cuts at:
38:41 (headshot guy and quick pan)
39:04 (quick pan from still of treeline - set change to garage entrance)
39:21 had a regular cut to work in the close up pyrotechnic affect of Amos taking shrapnel
39:46 has another set change cut
39:54 quick pan cut
39:57 another quick pan cut
40:07 camera blockage by Errich is another possible cut
40:41 another quick pan cut and back

<edit>

Open Source Idiom posted:

Neither of The Expanses two big oner's were achieved without digital trickery, but I thought last year's was quite good regardless.

Woa - what was the single shot in S4? I didn't even notice.

gfarrell80 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 31, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Because one of the points of that episode was to have long continuous shots. Then it aired and just happened to have similar drums to Birdman and everyone thought they were just ripping off Birdman.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

gfarrell80 posted:

Woa - what was the single shot in S4? I didn't even notice.

Bobbie's action sequence in the final episode.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Bobbie's action sequence in the final episode.

Ah yes! Yep, had a bit of trickery in that one too but it was very well done.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Muskoka is basically just Ontario's Winnipesaukee. Lots of rich people have cottages up there, regular people too. Friend of mines parents decided to move up there full time, not realizing that Unlike the GTA, no one comes along and plows the roads during the winter.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
The only way I know of Winnipesaukee is through What About Bob.

Bill Murray as Bob randomly and compulsively popping up during the episode would've saved it for me, can't lie.

Baby steps to the escape shuttle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What, like similar to his role in Zombieland?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

Muskoka is basically just Ontario's Winnipesaukee.

gesundheit

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

The only way I know of Winnipesaukee is through What About Bob.

Bill Murray as Bob randomly and compulsively popping up during the episode would've saved it for me, can't lie.

Baby steps to the escape shuttle.

Glad I am not alone on this one.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

I liked the not-so-subtle 2001 homage on the shuttle's control panel between Erich and Clarissa.

Another thing I just learned: Erich's stump isn't CG. Jacob Mundell really was born without a left hand.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Props to them for not armwashing the role and giving an unknown a chance.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dick Jones posted:

I liked the not-so-subtle 2001 homage on the shuttle's control panel between Erich and Clarissa.

Another thing I just learned: Erich's stump isn't CG. Jacob Mundell really was born without a left hand.

This too:

https://twitter.com/WebKarls/status/1355510765864837122

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dick Jones posted:

His acting is atrocious unfortunately

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I thought he was pretty good

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, that dude rules and is one of the best parts of this season. Plays the total prick role really, really well.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Opinions are opinions and in my opinion he’s a good actor.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Anita Dickinme posted:

Opinions are opinions and in my opinion he’s a good actor.

Yeah he's absolutely selling me on a character who isn't evil at core, but has had to climb through a mountain of adversity to get to to the only opportunity open to him in this world, which is head of a crime syndicate. He's playing ruthless-but-good-to-those-around-him very well.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

I fully expect writing credit on this show next season.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Cojawfee posted:

Because one of the points of that episode was to have long continuous shots. Then it aired and just happened to have similar drums to Birdman and everyone thought they were just ripping off Birdman.

THe Expanse's writers and directors are not very competent so I suspect they did just rip off Birdman.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Panderfringe posted:

THe Expanse's writers and directors are not very competent so I suspect they did just rip off Birdman.

Lol

Imagine typing this out and thinking before you press the post button "this is a good post, people will be glad I made it"

:allears:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Why wouldn't you rip off Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The best version of this is the one-shot in Hard Boiled where they run into an elevator for a minute and the crew rapidly changes the set behind the doors while it's "moving"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azhais posted:

Why wouldn't you rip off Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law

Spin-off of the expanse where all the villains are on trial for their space crimes

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Didja get that thing I sent’cha

*hand terminal beeps*

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Panderfringe posted:

dude, I agree with you that this season is a mess and I actually hate the source material (Book 5) it was based on, but to say that the writers and directors are incompetent is a stretch.

Johnny Truant posted:

Lol

Imagine typing this out and thinking before you press the post button "this is a good post, people will be glad I made it"

:allears:

Social media apps should have a mandatory confirmation 5 minutes after the initial post asking whether you are sure you still want to post it.

TommyGun85 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 31, 2021

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Panderfringe posted:

There have been some terrible and stupid takes posted in this thread before but my god dude

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The Klowner posted:

:wrong:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Infidelicious posted:

Generally you're not trying to eat people meat, and maiming / wounding them to render them combat ineffective is acceptable.

JFC this is a presumptuous take.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

CLAM DOWN posted:

There have been some terrible and stupid takes posted in this thread before but my god dude

Dude's just been shitposting for a while now, I think.

The Klowner posted:

Any particular reason why his acting doesn't vibe with you? I've thought it was really good, but I also haven't had any issues with any acting this season and there's been a few instances where people have mostly agreed that some things were kind of wooden, so I'm genuinely curious.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
My wife commented on him being a pretty poor actor, but I thought he was fine given the role he was playing like other people in this thread have said. People have different standards for what constitutes good and bad acting -- I think I tend not to judge too much because I've watched a lot of sci-fi.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The character struck me as someone who has had to be ruthless in order to become powerful, but it's all an act and he probably has trouble being ruthless with people he cares about.

Because of that perspective on the character, although at times he seems unconvincing, for me that's actually part of the character.

I wonder if that's what people are picking up on. This way of viewing the character isn't explicitly stated so someone else could easily see him as someone who's meant to be a threatening mob boss and consider it poor acting that he's often unconvincing.

For me though, it works really well.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The actors are really good for the most part. It's just Marco that sucks rear end. Just bring back David Straitharn to play Marco in season 6.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

The actors are really good for the most part. It's just Marco that sucks rear end. Just bring back David Straitharn to play Marco in season 6.

He was really amazing in his "Frenemy" role as Asford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck44vfyUBaE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Erich just feels a bit too young for the role. To me he reads like a young hotshot who thinks he's king poo poo, and is about to get smacked down severely. He's not as hard and grizzled as everybody seems to be treating him.

When he's slightly outside that mob-boss persona he's loving great though - his bits with Peaches in the cockpit own, as does his "I'm gonna be a lot nicer to her in future"