Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woden
May 6, 2006

swickles posted:

Was the crazy high budget idea before or after lockdowns started and it became clear theaters were gonna be among the hardest hit? I could see them pivoting to doing less films and more TV since they will be hamstrung at the box office for a while.

They were absolutely dominating the box office before Covid hit, so might as well push streaming hard where they're a smaller player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
There's a clear split in the thread but I thought the first 3 episodes were fun and I enjoyed watching them like a sitcom where obviously something sinister is happening. the best attempt the disney corporation can do at being Too Many Cooks.

and then episode 4 is entirely boring marvel expositional stuff again where they say some comic book character's or organisation's name and everyone on screen does a jim look into the camera like we should know or care. I guess it was worth it for the vision scene and the next episode looks okay.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Any betting markets on whether they're going to go full celestial/galaticon for the next big big bad? As someone who's never read the comics but has a passing familiarity with how 'cosmic' the villains get, it'd be neat to see how a studio would even go about setting up/showing such goofy lookin' baddies.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The current leading theory is that Kang the Conqueror will be the next big villain, since apparently the next Ant-Man & The Wasp film has Kang as a character, and he is often depicted as someone hard to defeat since he can hop through time freely, with several different versions of him around at any one time on multiple occasions. I could see them doing Galactus as the next big thing too, now that the Fantastic Four are becoming a part of the MCU at some point in the next few years. As is, I think they'd probably make even full on Celestials more akin to humans the way they re-did Ego as a human wandering around but tied to a planetary body.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 31, 2021

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think it's a drat near certainty that the next true, final endboss is going to be Galactus.

(I am also horrible at predicting things but still)

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

tsob posted:

The current leading theory is that Kang the Conqueror will be the next big villain, since apparently the next Ant-Man & The Wasp film has Kang as a character, and he is often depicted as someone hard to defeat since he can hop through time freely, with several different versions of him around at any one time on multiple occasions. I could see them doing Galactus as the next big thing too, now that the Fantastic Four are becoming a part of the MCU at some point in the next few years. As is, I think they'd probably make even full on Celestials more akin to humans the way they re-did Ego as a human wandering around but tied to a planetary body.

I have the opposite hope, that Kang is going to get chumped by Ant-Man and we'll never have to hear from him again.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Maybe I am the dumb consumer but I did like the breather episode to see what's going on the outside world and the fact that the FBI agent is actually doing his job in a way that makes sense.

Also, I wonder if this is also to set up more of Secret Invasion because if you were trying to understand human culture their broadcast are a start?

I do appreciate they are doing House of M with having to use Mutants though, its very well done. Also seeing dead Vision with that zombie like appearance. yuck.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
With Wiccan and Speed now hopefully existing, maybe they'll do the rest of the Young Avengers, and they'll do the Iron Lad storyline.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The next main villain will be THE HIGH EVOLUTIONARY

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lid posted:

The next main villain will be THE HIGH EVOLUTIONARY

Oddly enough, a character that has ties to the Maximoffs.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also, I wonder if this is also to set up more of Secret Invasion because if you were trying to understand human culture their broadcast are a start?

I hope they never touch that storyline, for the simple reason that it relies on undercutting a lot of the actions of established characters and seems to exist mostly as a way to retcon and reset large parts of the setting. I'd rather they just move things on and leave established parts that are no longer working or have been established as retiring behind, rather than retcon them. That poo poo's dumb in the comics, and the best part of the MCU is streamlining those parts out.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Secret Invasion has already been announced as a 6 episode Disney+ show starring SLJ/Nick Fury for probably early 2022.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I forgot about that. I suppose my only hope is that they only have the Skrulls replace people relatively recently, rather than imply they've been doing it for 30 years since the events of Captain Marvel and that everything some characters did, like say Cap, was just a Skrull infiltrator and not the real Thor. Or only replace relatively minor characters, rather than notable Avengers or something. Hopefully with Marvel setting Falcon up to replace Cap, Yelena to replace Natasha as Black Widow, Jane or Valkyrie to replace Thor, Tony having a kid and dying selflessly etc. they don't use it as an excuse to undercut and reset any of the big name characters.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

The thing that I don't get is that within the sit-com paradigm Vision is pretending to be a perfectly normal human man, yet doesn't bother to use a human man alias.

Everyone is fine just calling him "Vision" without finding it odd, so why bother hiding that he's a robot?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I presume it's supposed to be part of the sitcom format. Wanda is supposed to be a Sokovian immigrant but talks with a perfectly normal accent too, as another example of people within the world of the sitcom accepting something strange as normal. It's not like the wife in the first was likely to buy Wanda's negligee as a dress in a different style either. The magic show has people accepting a lot of abnormality under the guise of "oh there's an explanation, no matter how thin, so we can accept that". The doctor in episode 3 made no real fuss over Vision running at super speed either. It's just supposed to be something the audience can be in on, but has a thin veneer of acceptability for the people of the show, like Samantha being a witch in Bewitched I'd imagine so they can play around with the differences between what's seen and what's accepted.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

tsob posted:

I presume it's supposed to be part of the sitcom format. Wanda is supposed to be a Sokovian immigrant but talks with a perfectly normal accent too, as another example of people within the world of the sitcom accepting something strange as normal. It's not like the wife in the first was likely to buy Wanda's negligee as a dress in a different style either. The magic show has people accepting a lot of abnormality under the guise of "oh there's an explanation, no matter how thin, so we can accept that". The doctor in episode 3 made no real fuss over Vision running at super speed either. It's just supposed to be something the audience can be in on, but has a thin veneer of acceptability for the people of the show, like Samantha being a witch in Bewitched I'd imagine so they can play around with the differences between what's seen and what's accepted.

Also that he saw Wanda at like 4 months pregnant to giving birth in a day.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

tsob posted:

Since the townspeople seem to have some flashes of awareness of the situation, it could also be a "don't piss off the lady who can wish you into the cornfield" kind of business. As long as everyone plays by the sitcom rules, everyone's happy. What's important is maintaining the illusion above all else (hence the conceit of the magic show in episode 2), and there's an implicit threat behind it (whether from Wanda or whoever else set the rules).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

tsob posted:

I forgot about that. I suppose my only hope is that they only have the Skrulls replace people relatively recently, rather than imply they've been doing it for 30 years since the events of Captain Marvel and that everything some characters did, like say Cap, was just a Skrull infiltrator and not the real Thor. Or only replace relatively minor characters, rather than notable Avengers or something. Hopefully with Marvel setting Falcon up to replace Cap, Yelena to replace Natasha as Black Widow, Jane or Valkyrie to replace Thor, Tony having a kid and dying selflessly etc. they don't use it as an excuse to undercut and reset any of the big name characters.

Pretty sure the Kree will be the Secret Invasion enemies.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Can someone help me figure out where this takes place in the timeline?

It’s post blip, obviously, but I may have missed how much time passed since Monica was blipped back and working at Westview.

Because the battle against Past Thanos happened shortly after Hulk caused the blip, and Wanda was at that battle. So this is not some strange occurrence due to Wanda returning from the blip. Which has to mean after the battle Wanda did something, or something happened to her to create this reality bubble.

Am I getting the timing of this right, that this is a few days or weeks after Thanos is defeated, or did I miss something?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

twistedmentat posted:

Pretty sure the Kree will be the Secret Invasion enemies.

The log line for the show is “A sect of Skrulls have infiltrated all aspects of life on Earth.” The Kree have already had their time as bad guys in Agents of SHIELD, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Captain Marvel, time for someone else to have their turn.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There is a timeline established in one line, because the director dude says that Monica is the first employee who disappeared to come back, and it only took two weeks or something. After which she's immediately sent to Westview. Which might have taken a day or two's travel I guess, but it's about two to three weeks basically. At least at the start. Each time period in show might cover more time, as someone else postulated. So we could be several months out now.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Pants Donkey posted:

It’s post blip, obviously, but I may have missed how much time passed since Monica was blipped back and working at Westview.

Because the battle against Past Thanos happened shortly after Hulk caused the blip, and Wanda was at that battle. So this is not some strange occurrence due to Wanda returning from the blip. Which has to mean after the battle Wanda did something, or something happened to her to create this reality bubble.

Am I getting the timing of this right, that this is a few days or weeks after Thanos is defeated, or did I miss something?

They mention in the fourth episode that Monica was returning to work a few weeks after her return from the Blip, so with the time between us seeing her at the SWORD office and her entry into Westview being probably a couple of days for travel/etc. it’s probably been a little less than a month. Wanda likely went to the funeral and then immediately went off into isolation to grieve and “process” which entailed whatever is happening here.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

tsob posted:

They showed a Celestial in Guardians of the Galaxy, and they're going to have an appearance of some sort in Eternals.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Pants Donkey posted:

This led me to wonder whether anyone else currently working was blipped as well, and the sort of rifts that would create between those who were and who weren't. So many of the blipped people have presumably been through some form of what Monica went through, and their non-blipped friends and family have had to accept that they were "dead", only to have them suddenly return en masse. That is an incredibly traumatizing experience all around, and so you have two sets of people existing in dramatically different emotional worlds. It's great that the beginning of episode 4 started to really grapple with that, and as this is a show that involves coming to grips with crushing loss, it would be interested to see how it might affect other people's interpersonal relationships. For example, I could have done with less pseudo-witty banter among the SWORD/FBI team and more of an exploration of how it might affect the views and interactions of team members who were blipped vs. those who weren't. Well, still more time for that.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Bedshaped posted:

There's a clear split in the thread but I thought the first 3 episodes were fun and I enjoyed watching them like a sitcom where obviously something sinister is happening. the best attempt the disney corporation can do at being Too Many Cooks.

and then episode 4 is entirely boring marvel expositional stuff again where they say some comic book character's or organisation's name and everyone on screen does a jim look into the camera like we should know or care. I guess it was worth it for the vision scene and the next episode looks okay.

I liked/appreciated both aspects. Olsen and Bettany did an amazing job with the sitcom dynamic leavened with creepy elements. I also liked Dennings and Park's chemistry on the outside as well as the reflection of them doing pretty much what us fans have been doing.

tsob posted:

It's possible, but it's really difficult for me to buy that the grand Phase 4-6 villain is going to be introduced in Ant-Man 3.. Are there any other "big" shrinking/growing types in the Marvel Universe? Because I admit that I'd love to see Luis get a super-suit.

One thing that's weird to consider is that in some ways the best place for Wanda to go once all this gets settled would be to hang out with Ant-Man and co. Probably Wanda's biggest problem is her lack of an emotional support system - and just a lack of human connections in general. Scott Lands has a daughter and a remarried ex-wife and a girlfriend with two living, present parents and his co-workers. He's got human connections in spades. Plus it's almost been foreshadowed with the Russian guy's freakout over Baba-Yaga.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Since the townspeople seem to have some flashes of awareness of the situation, it could also be a "don't piss off the lady who can wish you into the cornfield" kind of business. As long as everyone plays by the sitcom rules, everyone's happy. What's important is maintaining the illusion above all else (hence the conceit of the magic show in episode 2), and there's an implicit threat behind it (whether from Wanda or whoever else set the rules).

"That was my grandfather's piano..."

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

This led me to wonder whether anyone else currently working was blipped as well, and the sort of rifts that would create between those who were and who weren't.

The "problem" is that that sort of emotional fallout among average people is something that superhero comics, in general, are not particularly well equipped to handle. Which is a shame, because when less ultra-high-stakes storytelling exists in the cape universes, we get cool as hell poo poo like Alias and Gotham Central. But it's doubly difficult for movies & tv, since the budget on those would still be relatively high compared to throwing a monthly book at someone with a good idea.

This makes me think of one time when some random office worker is berating Natasha for giving her condolences for someone who died in a big superhero punchup, and the line is something like "when one of you dies, there might be a clone, or time travel, or maybe they just come back. But dead is dead for us."

I'm sure someone else made the observation in this thread, but, like, 9/11 drove america insane. Imagine if 9/11 also involved a space portal opening over midtown. But all we get is a couple off hand references to the Battle of New York. :shobon:

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

For example, I could have done with less pseudo-witty banter among the SWORD/FBI team and more of an exploration of how it might affect the views and interactions of team members who were blipped vs. those who weren't. Well, still more time for that.

This definitely wasn’t meant as that, but I couldn’t help but interpret the guy who wouldn’t let Monica into SWORD as a non-blipped kinda lashing out a little. Like, here’s a woman who has a keycard and clearly trying to return to work and this guard is immediately “WELL, IT WOULDA WORKED IF YOU ACTUALLY WORKED HERE.” Just this weird misplaced bitterness that half of the world got to just not experience the stress of the last five years.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

does vision have nuts

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

sliami posted:

does vision have nuts

Pretty sure we already seen him naked. Unless they’re like internal testicles like a gorilla

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

sliami posted:

does vision have nuts

https://twitter.com/LightsCameraPod/status/1354198867361853449

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

where da concept art at -_-

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Release it for the culture tbh

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One curious thing to note: The SWORD drone's casing was in Captain Marvel colours in the real world, but was basically completely red-and-gold in Westview. Maybe Wanda's magic interpreting 'high tech robot thing' as Stark/Iron Man because she doesn't have the frame of reference for Carol, having been blipped?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

vision thing by sisters of mercy but instead it's VISION DONG

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

[Flustered British noises] is a great subtitle; especially for pretty generic vocal stutter.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

vision thing by sisters of mercy but instead it's VISION DONG

MCU TV: Sitcoms and Vision Dong

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

sliami posted:

does vision have nuts

Yes, and bolts too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, actual theory time, I think we're heading for a 'Monica talks Wanda off the ledge' moment where they bond over shared grief for a loved one dying and their survivor's guilt. I think that might be what they were going for when Monica didn't feel the same 'keep out' feeling as Jimmy at the boundary. He doesn't have the need to escape a loss, she did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaz-L posted:

OK, actual theory time, I think we're heading for a 'Monica talks Wanda off the ledge' moment where they bond over shared grief for a loved one dying and their survivor's guilt. I think that might be what they were going for when Monica didn't feel the same 'keep out' feeling as Jimmy at the boundary. He doesn't have the need to escape a loss, she did.

Did she actually indicate she didn't feel it? The impression I got was she did, but approached anyway and that Jimmy had just been more cautious. He clearly knew there was something around the town; which means he could presumably have approached if he had wanted to do so. That isn't to say that isn't where the show might go, because it sounds like a viable direction. I just think it'd be in spite of that, rather than indicated by it.