Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

The it nerd is standing in front of my desk, spittle flying out of his sputtering mouth as he is jabbering on and on about some "firewall" and "security" or some bullshit. I watch as his head turns redder and redder while his feeble arms pound the table in front of me. With a smirk I unpack a brand new tablet from an unknown Chinese company. It's cheaper and slicker than any of the dumb things these nerds want me to use. I slowly and deliberately connect it to the wifi while the guy gets tears in his eye. He slinks off defeated after a few minutes, as he knows he cannot win. The ceo and I share a WhatsApp group for funny memes. We're tight. I can haz tablez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

ELI PORTER posted:

HR incompetent, wat else is knew :shrug:

Not just incompetent, but bosses narks and scabs to a woman

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

DickParasite posted:

We spend 3 million/year in licence fees for completely broken enterprise software. It's used for everything - procurement, payroll, work orders, but nothing works so people have had to develop workarounds. This was supposed to eliminate a bunch of the paperwork involved in running the organisation, but it's actually increased all of that. The geniuses in senior management decided to buy a version that was nearing EOL and after two years of working to patch the holes announced we're rolling back to the release version to prepare for the switch to the new version.

Lol this smells like WorkDay to me

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

A CRAB IRL posted:

That, or SAP.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

TontoCorazon posted:

God I loving love working for a government agency, I've never had to do that bullshit fake rear end pretending to be happy about our jobs, also none of this conference dance bullshit. Boss sets up meeting every two weeks to a month just to catch up and update us on policy and regulation changes then we're done.

I also work for a government agency but unfortunately I work for one that has to be staffed 24/7 and I work the midnight shift (I'm a night owl and it pays better anyway). All mandatory training seminars are held in the early afternoons. We are not exempt from them. They're also refusing to do them as teleconferences right now. We have to actually show up and sit in a staff room for 4 hours while we get lectured about Diversity and Implicit Bias and what YOU can do to make sure it doesn't affect your work! At 1pm. On a day where I got off work at 7am and have to be back at 10:30pm.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 31, 2021

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

CuwiKhons posted:

I also work for a government agency but unfortunately I work for one that has to be staffed 24/7 and I work the midnight shift (I'm a night owl and it pays better anyway). All mandatory training seminars are held in the early afternoons. We are not exempt from them. They're also refusing to do them as teleconferences right now. We have to actually show up and sit in a staff room for 4 hours while we get lectured about Diversity and Implicit Bias and what YOU can do to make sure it doesn't affect your work!

Hopefully everyone is wearing a mask!

I am so sorry for what must be an unimaginable stress level in these trying times

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Zarin posted:

That, or SAP.

ding ding ding!

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Zarin posted:

Hopefully everyone is wearing a mask!

I am so sorry for what must be an unimaginable stress level in these trying times

Haha, we're in Florida. Nobody is wearing a mask unless ordered to do so by law. Just last week I overheard my supervisor complaining to my assistant supervisor that "masks don't even work anyway, I can't believe Publix makes me put one on at the door. Walmart doesn't even bother anymore at least."

Oh yeah, that's the other thing. They wont' let us work from home. Even though our entire job is online. They've decided it's a security risk and don't want to buy us laptops. Even though it would help an awful lot even once the pandemic is over because we're considered 'essential staff' during emergencies, which means we have to show up for work during major hurricanes too. Now don't get me wrong, the building I work in is probably safer to be in for a hurricane than my lovely apartment, but it also means we're not actually allowed to evacuate.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Fedex has a repository of like terabites of various excel macros because their actual tools suck so much it almost impossible to describe

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

DickParasite posted:

ding ding ding!

Ahhh, SAP. *stares wistfully and/or traumatically into the middle distance*

Tickets with SAP Support for what should have been critical issues dragged on for 6 months or longer; it's a good thing I was clever and/or stupid enough to come up with workarounds. It got to the point where I began to lose track of what our process truly was, and what parts of our workflow were workarounds and/or steps that were literally relying on known bugs/flaws/issues with SAP that would throw the entire office into chaos if we ever applied a patch to (finally) correct them.

You can make a lot of money if you know SAP, but goddamn if SAP doesn't make you earn every loving dollar.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Chrs posted:

I hold the controller under the desk during poo poo meetings.

"Oh yeah have you noticed that Chrs guy just wanks all the time during meetings? That's such an alpha move - we're thinking of promoting them!"

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Zarin posted:

Tickets with SAP Support for what should have been critical issues dragged on for 6 months or longer; it's a good thing I was clever and/or stupid enough to come up with workarounds. It got to the point where I began to lose track of what our process truly was, and what parts of our workflow were workarounds and/or steps that were literally relying on known bugs/flaws/issues with SAP that would throw the entire office into chaos if we ever applied a patch to (finally) correct them.

You can make a lot of money if you know SAP, but goddamn if SAP doesn't make you earn every loving dollar.

SAP is great tho* **

*if you have an army of consultants making it work

**and if you're a manufacturer of actual physical goods in Germany

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
SAP makes me miss using peoplesoft

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

yaffle posted:

Our school switched from zoom to teams because "zoom is banned in china" (it still works). If you think zoom is irritating, try to imagine a Microsoft version.
Teams is actually pretty good, esp if you use the other features like calendar integration, the chat groups, IM, file sharing/collab, etc.

And, if you're bored you can switch it to "under the sea" mode where then on your screen (and your screen only) all of the participants with cameras on are bobbing about among the ocean coral while they're talking about today's numbers.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I've never worked with teams before my current job and I like it a lot, having meetings and stuff managed over my own calender is cool.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zarin posted:

Sorry you're too poor for MaxAttention :smug:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

A CRAB IRL posted:

Workday is our latest 'in thing' everyone has to use for no reason.
Every 12-18 months they decided to use some big management software that will make our lives quicker and easier.
However they don't actually purchase all the parts needed of that software, just the bare bones.
So poo poo ends up on us peons doing HR's work now manually copying and pasting our work schedules each week as its cheaper than buying that part that will do it automatically.
The last system did.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

IT tears sustain me.

Only accounting is a lower form of life to me

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

zoom meetings for "self care"

Chaturbate already has this functionality.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Speaking of accounting. If I want to get money for any project I have to write out these stupid approval for expenditures. Basically they want me to distil down the project to something an accountant can understand which makes no sense to me because accountants think that customers are an inconvenience that messes up spreadsheets and so they do their best to eliminate them.

They are incapable of understanding awesome things because they are the distillation of moss growing on rocks. They need the rock to never move to survive.

So I have begun structuring them as Eight Legged Essays to see if they get the joke but oddly enough they like them more now.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Watched everyone quit and promoted me to run the company. I have exactly zero management experience or training.

I made some some basic pie charts with big numbers, presented them at a meeting and proposed a massive increase to my wages budget to better manage things. It looks like this will be approved, everyone is extremely happy with the work so far and my bold new vision for the company. I have three years to figure out how to do my job before our funding runs out. Nobody seems to have any problems with this.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Has people come into work even if the people in their house have covid because "you don't have any symptoms it's fine" and "you don't have your results back yet so you don't have it"

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

Noblesse Obliged posted:

IT tears sustain me.

Only accounting is a lower form of life to me

Nah it's still HR

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Len posted:

Has people come into work even if the people in their house have covid because "you don't have any symptoms it's fine" and "you don't have your results back yet so you don't have it"

Holy gently caress that's reprehensible.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

A CRAB IRL posted:

Nah it's still HR

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Outrail posted:

Holy gently caress that's reprehensible.

My company is owned by chuds who believe this is no different than the flu

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Starting a new job soon. It's possible I'm ignorant and not aware this is standard consultancy practice, but I find it donkey brained that I have to fill my timesheet on the 15th every month with the number of hours worked up until the 15th and then "estimate" the hours I'm going to work until the end of the month.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Our entire dev and QA departments have to get background checked and fingerprinted every time we get a new client despite the fact that they cannot view actual client data. Because security

The clients routinely send me emails with enough PPI to steal the identities of thousands of people despite being repeatedly told to stop. I don't even have security training because I'm not a dev.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Zarin posted:

It’s so drat bad. If a user’s password is expired, why not pop up a screen telling them to reset their password instead of a baffling error message?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

We're moving onto a new ticket system because the rest of the company is and we're being forced to, but our engineering group is so stubborn and has the company wrapped around their finger that they refused to change and are sticking with JIRA which actually works a lot better for their needs than this new one. As it turns out the new ticket system is barely ready and still mostly broken after being in the works for about a year now but because they've poured so many resources into it they're forcing everyone to migrate NOW and provide DAILY FEEDBACK about how GREAT this new system is.

The pisser is my department facilitates discussions and bug fixes/feature requests between the entire company and the engineers, so we are being asked to use both systems at the same time, creating tickets in the new one to say that we had to make a ticket in JIRA and putting a link to the JIRA ticket in the ticket we made in the new system. When talking to my boss about how loving asinine this is his response was a shrug emoji. They should ban that emoji from Slack.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

A CRAB IRL posted:

Our HR/Payroll dept hyped that poo poo up so much before rolling it out. Barely usable trash. Congratulations on making a UI that is even shittier than ADP's. Really loving impressive how hard you hosed that one up.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It’s so drat bad. If a user’s password is expired, why not pop up a screen telling them to reset their password instead of a baffling error message?

I've run into SAP Fieldglass, which is a Timesheet management thing for contractors. I forgot my password in a storm of making new passwords. The 'Forgot Password' button asks for my email and username. I put it in, and all it ever does is email me my username over and over. I submitted a ticket to their customer service desk. They responded and said "'We're sending you an email with a reset password link. Reply ACCEPT if this has solved your issue, or REJECT if it doesn't."

And of course, no email ever arrived. Just remembered my password in the end and spitefully never replied because hot drat what is wrong with your system.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

My current job is actually pretty great, not much to complain about, aside from the workload/pace being a bit frantic at times but management is generally understanding and supportive of us. I have worked a few engineering jobs now though and I have to ask, does ANYONE in engineering/manufacturing use good ERP software? They all seem like they were written by some loving university student who just discovered Access. Why is enterprise software always so bad? I don't get it

I used to work for Epicor, an ERP and POS software company. I can tell you with confidence that 3 people wrote most of the software. The POS software was literally one guy and most of his time was spent customizing the software to include the clients branding. Is the new patch out? No, because Khan is making sure the backgrounds on the Coach POS are all centered exactly.

Our ticketing system was in dos and didn't support mice, this was in 2015.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

I used to work for Epicor, an ERP and POS software company. I can tell you with confidence that 3 people wrote most of the software. The POS software was literally one guy and most of his time was spent customizing the software to include the clients branding. Is the new patch out? No, because Khan is making sure the backgrounds on the Coach POS are all centered exactly.

Our ticketing system was in dos and didn't support mice, this was in 2015.

Oh hahaha. Ya mattec. I love running the coms cable right up tight to the main 3ph 1000amp bus bar. Saves a bunch of space and looks better.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Oh hahaha. Ya mattec. I love running the coms cable right up tight to the main 3ph 1000amp bus bar. Saves a bunch of space and looks better.

As a controls engineer this makes me shudder.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Of course it’s not grounded it’s attached to the ceiling. Honestly you guys sound so dumb sometimes

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Noblesse Obliged is a corporate spy in case you haven't caught on.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Armitag3 posted:

Starting a new job soon. It's possible I'm ignorant and not aware this is standard consultancy practice, but I find it donkey brained that I have to fill my timesheet on the 15th every month with the number of hours worked up until the 15th and then "estimate" the hours I'm going to work until the end of the month.

Holy poo poo, I thought this was loving stupid when my old job wanted me to do this for friday afternoon. Half a goddamn month, that is the dumbest poo poo on the planet.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Len posted:

My MegaCorp with over 5,000 people in the office confused and nervous in March 2020 was slow to allow any WFC as who knows what the drones may do without their mandatory daily gratitude sessions. HR was so tone deaf about employees worried about how to deal with school closures or people in their household at high risk that they sent out a pointless update, then got in an internal fight because it had a typo and the subject line appeared twice.

Then someone died and we all got sent home and I discovered I can do 100% of my work remotely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigSexy
Apr 21, 2020
One thing I like about my company is there’s no forced “bonding” bullshit. They pay us well and expect a lot from us but I’m at work to work, not hang out. I see now writing this makes me seem like an rear end in a top hat but I have a family and friends outside work, I don’t need to hang out with work people outside of work or take time away from regular projects