Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
3rd business day after the day of deposit, if deposit is received by 4 p.m. ET

That is from ETrade, I deposited before 4 PM on Friday, that means Wednesday right? Wish it was Tuesday to buy into whatever happens tomorrow! I am well aware many idiots are going to lose a lot of money, I'll be in with them most likely, but I expect to lose it all, and that can't even happen if I don't short sell, lol 'elite bankers'! And it is a money to 'have fun with' if I lose it IDK but will be mad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

KazigluBey posted:

DoN'T yOu SeE yOu'rE hArMiNg ReAl PeOpLe AnD pEnSiOn FuNdS wIlL gO bUsT?!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-29/reddit-fever-ignites-mall-stock-and-fund-cashes-out-500-million?sref=lagJc1td

Reddit Ignites Mall Stock and Fund Cashes Out $500 Million

Zoomers have literally helped a Canadian pension fund out as a result of the ongoing WSB chaos, but keep telling yourselves that you need to poo poo the whole thing because Reddit is involved and billionaires need defending.

ThIs Is JuSt LiKe ThE cOd BoYcOtT!
Who here is trying to defend the billionaires or poo pooing the whole thing cos reddit is involved???

MarcusSA posted:

Robinhood doesn’t make any sense.

It won’t let me buy more than 10 shares of AMC but it let my dad buy 100?

Wtf
Have you got your account set to trade on margin?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dignity Van Houten posted:

If you had bought $10,000 of dogecoin yesterday, today you would have $25,000

No, you would not have $25,000. You would have a number of Doge Coins theoretically worth $25,000. This is not the same thing, but thinking it is the same thing is the foundations of many "lmao stonks" moments.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Galewolf posted:

Is silver the new thing now. The chatter in my 3rd world country "investment" circles (read: telegram groups) indicates that lotta normies moved from something called Riptide which I don't know if a toy, a credit card or shares of a 90s windsurfing board producer.

WSB seems to think the normie talk of silver is due to a concerted effort by hedge funds to dissuade people buying Gme, Amc, BB or really any stock in the near future.

Which... isn't plausible? Hedge fund investors saying "It's all about silver! Why am I telling you this? Because I want you to make money. No i am not putting more of my own into the commodity. Why?"

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Can people sell their dogecoin for fiat in any simple, quick manner? Or does it go through [things that elude me] like bitcoin?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Bronze Fonz posted:

Can people sell their dogecoin for fiat in any simple, quick manner? Or does it go through [things that elude me] like bitcoin?

I think it's generally one of the most difficult coins to acquire or sell. Think using one exchange to trade BTC for a dif. Coin and then another to trade for Doge.

So yeah if you buy at a penny and it goes to ten you might make profit after conversions and fees. But if you're hoping to day trade and make a 25% profit good luck.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Bronze Fonz posted:

I heard that Coinbase, the largest coin exchange, doesn't want to touch doges because it's a useless joke coin. I guess you would have to convert them to another coin on one of the many shadier exchanges and then transfer the altcoins to Coinbase to withdraw. Dunno about the money laundering aspect of it. I guess in some jurisdiction you will have to explain where the mystery income comes from and have some kind of documentation on why exactly you have 100 mio doges.

But if you are trading through RH it doesn't really matter because on RH you never actually interact with the cryptocurrency part. You just buy and sell derivates of doges and these are pretty liquid.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I've seen a few people say dogecoin rapidly inflates infinitely but that is misleading. The prevailing inflation rate is between 4 and 5 percent. The coins are easy to mine and there is no cap on total supply but there is an unchanging hard cap on the number of new coins that can be created in a year.

A massive price crash is absolutely possible, but if it happens it will be because of a sell off, not inflation from a wave of new doge miners. When we're talking about 500%+ movements the 5% annual inflation is not very meaningful.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

There's something weird and sad about cameo, it makes me uncomfortable.

People have mentioned the selling dignity aspect, but I think it's more because we're used to actors and musicians under layers of makeup, careful lighting, stage direction, and saying only things that publicists approve of. So removing those filters removed at once to see some shlub that vaguely looks like the icons we know is jarring. Standard social media stars don't have this problem, we don't get that secondhand embarrassment when a twitch streamer gets $50 to wish someone a happy birthday.

I think age is also a factor, if those washed-up celebs were in their 20s and saying wacky poo poo no one would care

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Reddit seems to think AMC or other stocks will ruin this. The defense is to tell each other to only focus on GameStop.

I was shocked it held Friday, now they seem more single focused then ever.

Companies are having to limit people’s ability to buy a stock.

Has that ever been a thing?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Fairly certain Fidelity closed my account today because the only thing I've used it for was to buy one share of Gamestop last week.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

spunkshui posted:

Reddit seems to think AMC or other stocks will ruin this. The defense is to tell each other to only focus on GameStop.

I was shocked it held Friday, now they seem more single focused then ever.

If I had to guess it's people who are currently down from whenever they bought in desperately hoping it can be propped up high enough for them to get out. The whole "it's just about sticking it to the man with a meme" is about one night of sleep away from legit hoping the get rich scheme works/panicking about losing a lot.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Bronze Fonz posted:

With a broker site that is how it works yeah if you "sell" it will just put a ask at a price that is low enough to immediately sell take a fee and deposit the fiat into your broker account which you can then do a bank transfer from. The problems in the past is the broker doing shady poo poo like not giving you the money or vanishing. Same for all crypto and stocks done through a broker.
What is going on with the dog coins? I was going to sell them on friday but it's more fun watching them go up and down.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

spunkshui posted:

yes, frequently

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

read the page you linked, it isn't very long

there have been halts on $GME too

Robinhood didn't halt it. they just banned opening positions and allowed closing positions

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Briefly considered throwing a hundred or two on dogecoin yesterday just in case.
But then I sobered up and then I thought this would be dumb and best to stay out of such shenanigans.

How would you rate this decision on a scale of Seraph to Jeffrey?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

eSports Chaebol posted:

Robinhood didn't halt it. they just banned opening positions and allowed closing positions

all the problems are on robinhood, because robinhood is a lovely small operation that can't support a zillion people hammering the buy button

(other brokers restricted the ability to buy options on margin, but never stopped customers from standard buys)

spunkshui is trying to turn this into r/wallstreetbets with conspiracy theories and pushing GME, either because he's swept up in hype or because he bought at higher than $400 and is getting nervous

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Robinhood has restricted people from buying individual stock multiple times in the past, and even before in January. They even have a support site listing titles that are restricted! Even if the GME block weren't caused by a liquidity crunch, it wasn't an unprecedented move at all.

Also, buying into a pump & dump after all the media has already reported on it is usually a bad idea.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I don’t mean like circuit breakers.

I mean like “today we have decided these stocks you can only buy one of.”

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Klyith posted:

all the problems are on robinhood, because robinhood is a lovely small operation that can't support a zillion people hammering the buy button

(other brokers restricted the ability to buy options on margin, but never stopped customers from standard buys)

spunkshui is trying to turn this into r/wallstreetbets with conspiracy theories and pushing GME, either because he's swept up in hype or because he bought at higher than $400 and is getting nervous

other brokers also restricted outright buying. some posters are here jsut going the goony "im smarter than everyone and im above all this" but you are literally lying and what for? like i dont think you are actually a hedge fund trader. whats the play here?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

So Doge is going down and I'm wondering what powers exist that are causing this to overcome the Reddit YOLO hype.

Presumably large investors never invested in Doge. So is it people who had mined coins enjoying a small windfall? People who actually bought Doge and now are using actual analysis to predict this was a one-time spike and liquifing*? The fees at many stages mean you aren't making profit unless it actually skyrockets and conversely aren't really salvaging by selling now unless it goes to zero.

*AKA trading Doge for BTCUSD, BTCUSD for BTC, and BTC for USD.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

Robinhood has restricted people from buying individual stock multiple times in the past, and even before in January. They even have a support site listing titles that are restricted! Even if the GME block weren't caused by a liquidity crunch, it wasn't an unprecedented move at all.

is this site secret or could you link it?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

eSports Chaebol posted:

is this site secret or could you link it?

https://robinhood.com/us/en/support/articles/changes-securities-robinhood-2021/

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

eSports Chaebol posted:

other brokers also restricted outright buying. some posters are here jsut going the goony "im smarter than everyone and im above all this" but you are literally lying and what for? like i dont think you are actually a hedge fund trader. whats the play here?

The clearing house restricted buying, all this information is freely available. Maybe don't listen to weirdos that want to sell you a narrative to keep you from selling a pump & dump stock before they can cash out and seek out actual information. Of course that would restrict buying at multiple brokers.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

You, poster Fame Douglas, wrote this:

Fame Douglas posted:

You then linked a page about Robinhood deciding to permanently phase out allowing investment in certain securities that are not individual stocks in companies.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
We know why trading was restricted by their clearing house. I don't get what you're trying to accomplish with this pointless maneuvering?

In the end, I'm just here to laugh at people losing their shirts because they bought into an obvious pump & dump late because they believed some redditor's narrative.

Fist
Sep 16, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

So Doge is going down and I'm wondering what powers exist that are causing this to overcome the Reddit YOLO hype.

Presumably large investors never invested in Doge. So is it people who had mined coins enjoying a small windfall? People who actually bought Doge and now are using actual analysis to predict this was a one-time spike and liquifing*? The fees at many stages mean you aren't making profit unless it actually skyrockets and conversely aren't really salvaging by selling now unless it goes to zero.

*AKA trading Doge for BTCUSD, BTCUSD for BTC, and BTC for USD.

Here is some history on Doge. It's been around since 2013ish. It was given away for free by the millions of coins.. for many years it was valued at 0.00022 cents.
Here is the Doge price chart https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/dogecoin/ Click on "ALL" time frame on upper right of chart (the green line is the USD price). 5billion new doge are made every year.

People have lost, holding, temporally misplaced billions of Doge.
It's joke coin for fun.

1 Doge will always equal 1 Doge.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

We know why trading was restricted by their clearing house. I don't get what you're trying to accomplish with this pointless maneuvering?

the pointless maneuvering is what i dont understand. i really doubt you are in any way invested in this personally. so why bother to lie about it on the internet?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

eSports Chaebol posted:

the pointless maneuvering is what i dont understand. i really doubt you are in any way invested in this personally. so why bother to lie about it on the internet?

I'm sure you're going to be rich, soon. When has reddit ever steered anyone wrong??

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

The clearing house restricted buying, all this information is freely available. Maybe don't listen to weirdos that want to sell you a narrative to keep you from selling a pump & dump stock before they can cash out and seek out actual information. Of course that would restrict buying at multiple brokers.

While it's true that it was probably the market makers who decided to limit buying and not RH(who most likely didn't give a poo poo and where actually happy with the pump and dump scheme), that doesn't change the situation that a company with conflicted interests made a decision that benefited themselves at the expense of retail investors.

Also, I don't think there ever was a situation where they turned off buying only, so that's kinda new. If there was a good reason to stop buying due to legal compliance/reserve reasons, they should have stopped trading completely. It would have went over better. They probably learned their lesson and will pull the cord completely next time.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Bronze Fonz posted:

Briefly considered throwing a hundred or two on dogecoin yesterday just in case.
But then I sobered up and then I thought this would be dumb and best to stay out of such shenanigans.

How would you rate this decision on a scale of Seraph to Jeffrey?

At best you could have sold it for 500 today at worst you could be still holding it or sell it at 350ish. So not much loss or gain either way.
I was lucky enough to buy some as a joke last year so my risk is near 0 but if you put $100 on it you might lose $99 or you might gain some money, you might gain a lot of money it's basically gambling with such volatile things, you can always say you had some meme coins in the future for a laugh either way.
But you can see how people make and lose huge amounts of money on these things.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 1, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

eSports Chaebol posted:

other brokers also restricted outright buying. some posters are here jsut going the goony "im smarter than everyone and im above all this" but you are literally lying and what for? like i dont think you are actually a hedge fund trader.

Schwab and Ameritrade: https://pressroom.aboutschwab.com/press-releases/press-release/2021/Schwab-Issues-Statement-About-Recent-Trading-Activity/default.aspx
"Neither Charles Schwab & Co. nor TD Ameritrade halted buying or selling ANY stocks this week. Neither firm restricted buying or selling basic options."

It's 100% legitimate for the brokers remove the option to trade on margin, because the brokers themselves can have losses on a volatile stock in those trades.

The other one I've seen stuff about is Interactive Brokers, which also apparently put GME into sell only. I don't know about this one, apparently they're a high-volume broker that "serves institutional investors". I don't get this one, they're big enough that they shouldn't have the money problem that robinhood did. They should get investigated to make sure they weren't communicating with anyone about that and it was a decision for only their own internal reasons.

quote:

whats the play here?
I dislike online conspiracy theories, whichever political angle they are on.

Massive bubbles and crashes on stocks are bad for the market and stockbrokers. Yes, "the market" and stockbrokers = the rich. But it's really dumb to complain about :capitalism: while engaged in the most :capitalism: thing possible, day-trading a speculative bubble.

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

wyoak posted:

GameStop’s finance department is probably going through hell right now

Their finance department cannot be affected by this.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

polio king posted:

Their finance department cannot be affected by this.

Of course it is, they have to decide on whether to issue more stock or not. Don't be silly. But that doesn't seem hell, more like "will we use this unlikely windfall to our advantage"

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bright Bart posted:

Presumably large investors never invested in Doge. So is it people who had mined coins enjoying a small windfall?

There are literally 127 billion dogecoins out there on the internet. For most of the last several years they have has near-zero value, such that being a "dogecoin millionaire" was a thing people did as a joke. There are more people with worthless dogecoins that they'd love to sell than there are reddit yoloers.

If you bought dogecoins expecting them to have any value you're a loving idiot, sorry.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Klyith posted:

There are literally 127 billion dogecoins out there on the internet. For most of the last several years they have has near-zero value, such that being a "dogecoin millionaire" was a thing people did as a joke.

If you bought dogecoins expecting them to have any value you're a loving idiot, sorry.

And yet people are spending real money with value on them now so now they have real value because that's how Capitalism has decided to work, everything is made up and nothing matters. It's a giant joke and people are starving and dying of treatable illness everyday and I now can sell my dogecoins I got as a joke and go buy food with the money if I want. I will probably just give the money to charity if I do sell them because it's just stupid.

Fame Douglas posted:

Of course it is, they have to decide on whether to issue more stock or not. Don't be silly. But that doesn't seem hell, more like "will we use this unlikely windfall to our advantage"

Do they have to make the stocks, what if they don't when the written contracts for the non existent stocks time out?

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Its literally pronounced "doggy" you imbeciles

Saying Dohj is like pronouncing "pwned" as "poned" or "meme" as "mee mee"

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Fame Douglas posted:

In the end, I'm just here to laugh at people losing their shirts because they bought into an obvious pump & dump late because they believed some redditor's narrative.

Who are all of these chumps that are unknowingly placing risky bets on GME stock? From a cursory scan of /r wallstreetbets, it appears to me that people are fully aware that they risk losing everything they're holding/putting in, or that any new people questioning otherwise are promptly told the same. If you want to laugh at those people, you're certainly welcome to, but I'm personally having trouble in finding the humor.

Klyith posted:

...Massive bubbles and crashes on stocks are bad for the market and stockbrokers. Yes, "the market" and stockbrokers = the rich. But it's really dumb to complain about :capitalism: while engaged in the most :capitalism: thing possible, day-trading a speculative bubble.

Let's take this to its logical conclusion. Are you saying that any people participating in a corrupt system have no real ability to critique it?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Klyith posted:

Schwab and Ameritrade: https://pressroom.aboutschwab.com/press-releases/press-release/2021/Schwab-Issues-Statement-About-Recent-Trading-Activity/default.aspx
"Neither Charles Schwab & Co. nor TD Ameritrade halted buying or selling ANY stocks this week. Neither firm restricted buying or selling basic options."

how about Webull? or E-Trade? or Public? or M1? (okay those last two use the same clearinghouse, but it's still not just Robinhood)

quote:

I dislike online conspiracy theories, whichever political angle they are on.

i think that believing that everyone in power is good and just and honest and would never do anything underhanded to harm anyone is a bigger conspiracy theory than, you know, not only denying any underhandedness, but denying actual objective things that are actually happening if it's possible to believe they might be underhanded, and instead say they arent happening at all lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fist
Sep 16, 2007

Flannelette posted:

And yet people are spending real money with value on them now so now they have real value because that's how Capitalism has decided to work, everything is made up and nothing matters. It's a giant joke and people are starving and dying of treatable illness everyday and I now can sell my dogecoins I got as a joke and go buy food with the money if I want. I will probably just give the money to charity if I do sell them because it's just stupid.

Do they have to make the stocks, what if they don't when the written contracts for the non existent stocks time out?

Just keep in mind, that you are on the hook for short term cap gains tax if you sell in under a year lol