Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Erich just feels a bit too young for the role. To me he reads like a young hotshot who thinks he's king poo poo, and is about to get smacked down severely. He's not as hard and grizzled as everybody seems to be treating him.

When he's slightly outside that mob-boss persona he's loving great though - his bits with Peaches in the cockpit own, as does his "I'm gonna be a lot nicer to her in future"

Maybe because he's basically a "Netrunner" for his criminal history specializing in things like cyber-crimes and forging fake ID cards? ?

He's not something like the character of Kingpin from Daredevil TV series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Erich just feels a bit too young for the role. To me he reads like a young hotshot who thinks he's king poo poo, and is about to get smacked down severely. He's not as hard and grizzled as everybody seems to be treating him.

When he's slightly outside that mob-boss persona he's loving great though - his bits with Peaches in the cockpit own, as does his "I'm gonna be a lot nicer to her in future"

This is about how I feel as well. He had more good acting moments in the last episode than in his prior appearances. Good chat with Peaches (who didn't pass out for hours this time, fortunately).

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
I am so happy I don‘t give two shits about acting. That guy‘s acting is fine, btw. As is Peaches.

The season is good imo, but not great. It‘s just kinda slow. The first 4-5 eps were great, then everything slowed down considerably (or that‘s how I seem to remember it) - at least Amos and Avasarala made some progress in E9. This feels like it all could have been told in like 6 episodes. Characters can also be explored while they do some stuff!

I really like the weekly releases. The first few eps I rewatched before the new one hit and I saw some new stuff or realized one thing or two which is nice.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, I feel like the stuff with Naomi has been nice but could have been shorter, especially considering that several other significant events are either shown very briefly or skipped entirely.

Spending a bit of time seeing what happened between talking to Erich on the rooftop and them suddenly landing in a helicopter at a deserted rich person's house would have been nice, and the retaliatory attack on a belter station isn't shown at all but it feels like there could have been an illustration of the effect it had on more moderate belters.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
It kind of makes narrative sense that Holden has been wandering around lost for the second half of this season.

Someone ganked Fred Johnson and Holden can't find any quest givers around this area for his level range.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

It kind of makes narrative sense that Holden has been wandering around lost for the second half of this season.

Someone ganked Fred Johnson and Holden can't find any quest givers around this area for his level range.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

The actors are really good for the most part. It's just Marco that sucks rear end. Just bring back David Straitharn to play Marco in season 6.

The problem with this is that Marco is intended to be a narcissist sociopath piece of poo poo. You are not supposed to like or respect him or his entire plot doesn't make much sense.

Like, I don't really feel the actor too, but it's not exactly a miscast. He's supposed to be like that. I think the real problem is that we get too much of him. Much more than in the books or than necessary.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

The problem with this is that Marco is intended to be a narcissist sociopath piece of poo poo. You are not supposed to like or respect him or his entire plot doesn't make much sense.

Like, I don't really feel the actor too, but it's not exactly a miscast. He's supposed to be like that. I think the real problem is that we get too much of him. Much more than in the books or than necessary.

Probably because he's basically a telenovela villian / Himbo in the series and it's probably going to be many more episodes of him making cheesy speeches....

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

etalian posted:

Probably because he's basically a telenovela villian / Himbo in the series and it's probably going to be many more episodes of him making cheesy speeches....

This is actually what makes him interesting. He's making all these fabulous plays that are not actually good decisions for anybody, and aren't even designed to help anybody that isn't named Marco.

When he showed up I wasn't convinced at all but the character's grown on me. He's just completely full of bullshit and 100% an abuser, and it is communicated well.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Everyone who hates the show and acting, can you honestly tell me a show/film you did like with what you would consider good acting so I can compare tastes?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Hawaii 5-0

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Everyone who hates the show and acting, can you honestly tell me a show/film you did like with what you would consider good acting so I can compare tastes?

My complaints largely stem from how quality and consistant The Expanse was earlier in it's run.

Exhibit A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziLkBIrmTLg

When was the last time the show hit a high note even close to this?

Erich's acting is pretty bland and unconvincing. Granted my charmed life hasn't given me any real-life criminal kingpins to compare him to, for this role he seems meek and a little petulant.

Erich comes off as the sort of character I'd run into managing a Best Buy in the Midwest, who's just itching to go on a nerdy tirade the second someone mentions an Apple product.

It's progressive to cast a disabled person for a disabled role, points where points are due, but their ability to act should've be graded on a curve.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
This forum knows I stan the gently caress out of Jared Harris but he can't be in every scene of every show...

Gazaar posted:

Hawaii 5-0

:golfclap:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

This forum knows I stan the gently caress out of Jared Harris but he can't be in every scene of every show...

Would it really be hard to send a van with some guys to kidnap him for the show?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think the show is still good, but it's entirely fair to say that it isn't quite the same show it was in Season 1. Season 1 is a rollercoaster of mystery plotlines that all move at pace and which you gradually see come together on Ceres. In Season 5 it feels that way for the first 4 episodes but then every plotline other than Amos's starts treading water. Contractually it might have been awkward, but it might have been interesting to deal with Amos and Clarissa's escape from Earth in a two or three episode arc that literally contains nothing but them, then come back to everyone floating in space and get their stories moving again.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Replace James Corden with Jared Harris on the Late Late Show for an instant ratings bonanza.

Jared Harris in character as Anderson Dawes as he berates the vain inner celebrity guests (to their faces) for promoting their irrelevant film projects and TV shows.

Also, Ashford is the band leader with Drummer on drums.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Gonz posted:

Replace James Corden with Jared Harris on the Late Late Show for an instant ratings bonanza.

Jared Harris in character as Anderson Dawes as he berates the vain inner celebrity guests (to their faces) for promoting their irrelevant film projects and TV shows.

stop it's been three hours and i have to see a doctor

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Panderfringe posted:

THe Expanse's writers and directors are not very competent so I suspect they did just rip off Birdman.

Just what in the Kentucky Fried Hell is this?

Data Graham posted:

Didja get that thing I sent’cha

*hand terminal beeps*

Ok, thread's good again.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I've received spoilers from Amazon that due to all the whining in this thread, the final episode will be replaced by a hour long speech by Jared Harris.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Strom Cuzewon posted:

And this underestimating of Erich is probably why he's at the top, as well as his ability to not be a complete goon all the time. He does have charisma, even if it's not the same kind of "suave" charisma that someone like Marco has. He doesn't seem like the type to constantly be threatening violence (at least not brazenly), either, and he's probably earned a lot of respect from his people as a result.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I know I'm pages late on this, but count me in on the "didn't absorb from the events depicted that we're looking at 50+% of the Earth's population being killed" camp.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

The problem with this is that Marco

I feel like the only problem with Marco is that we never see him 'turned off', so to speak. He's always speachifying or whispering-ish. We got the scenes with Drummer in her polycule, it would have been awesome to get a similar contrasting scene with Marco just chilling and chumming with his crew, non-speachifying, just enjoying himself and even laughing with his crewmates.

etalian posted:

I've received spoilers from Amazon that due to all the whining in this thread, the final episode will be replaced by a hour long speech by Jared Harris.

I'm in. I was hoping it was going to be just Drummer headshoting her way to ultimate power, but I'll take an hour long Jared Harris speech.

<edit>

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I know I'm pages late on this, but count me in on the "didn't absorb from the events depicted that we're looking at 50+% of the Earth's population being killed" camp.

I'm not sure what we can really say the causalty count is on Earth yet definitely, show-canon-wise. I don't think it is close 50%.

gfarrell80 fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 1, 2021

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This was also my take on the character. I legitimately said "uh, okay" when I saw the big bad gang boss they were building up to, be a kinda petulant little brother type. His threats to amos seemed hollow as gently caress, especially when Amos just kind of shrugged them all off like "whatever dude, I got more important poo poo to do". Not sure if that's intentional or not, but I guess we'll see how they flesh him out. I like Erich's attitude and lines, his threats just don't carry any weight.

He reads like the scrawny angry guy in a zombie apocalypse show that turtles up once someone takes the only gun in the group away from him.

Edit: His intimidations would read a LOT better as a wealthy ceo, or an elected official.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

That’s because they haven’t died yet. What do you expect to see? What does universal crop failure look like before it’s happened?

Casualties from the impacts and direct repercussions: millions

Casualties from the incoming starvation, ecological failure and unrest: billions

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 1, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it works just fine. People underestimate him and treat his threats like they don't mean anything, until someone crosses him and the people that work for him rectify the situation. You don't have to be a big tough boy to be a mob boss, you just have to be smart enough to know how to control people. This guy is clearly pretty smart, and he provides enough value to his goons for them to keep him around.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Dreylad posted:

My wife commented on him being a pretty poor actor, but I thought he was fine given the role he was playing like other people in this thread have said. People have different standards for what constitutes good and bad acting -- I think I tend not to judge too much because I've watched a lot of sci-fi.

He immediately stuck out to me as having poor timing and a bit of stiffness when he spoke, like he's speaking to someone past the person he's directing his words at (i.e. an audience). So many people were chiming in on this thread sayin OMG I LOVE HIM that I thought maybe I was just takin crazy pills.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

This was also my take on the character. I legitimately said "uh, okay" when I saw the big bad gang boss they were building up to, be a kinda petulant little brother type. His threats to amos seemed hollow as gently caress, especially when Amos just kind of shrugged them all off like "whatever dude, I got more important poo poo to do". Not sure if that's intentional or not, but I guess we'll see how they flesh him out. I like Erich's attitude and lines, his threats just don't carry any weight.

He reads like the scrawny angry guy in a zombie apocalypse show that turtles up once someone takes the only gun in the group away from him.

Edit: His intimidations would read a LOT better as a wealthy ceo, or an elected official.

Book differences: I also think this has been missing. During their first meeting in the book, once the conversation is over, without remembering the exact exchange, Erich tells Amos that he had multiple guns (poisonous darts I think?) pointed at him from the ceiling/lamps the whole time and could have killed him in an instant. They left that part out of the show for some reason, making Amos busting in to his place not really seem like all that big a deal.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Yeah, it really seemed to be a localized mess, maybe millions would be dead but not billions. They really needed to darken the skies to sell it but I think there was tension within the "softer" line of tone they were sending. If it was really a event that would kill billions, then taking the belters out wouldn't have seemed as much of an ify moral decision. Also, there was relatively little talk of how it would destabilize human civilization for Earth to collapse on itself.

Also, I think Marcos in general is a poor character and comes off as a 2d evil Che Guevara, and most of his henchmen also come off as insane sociopaths as well. I think it is general a missed opportunity. If Marco had planned this and then regretted after it happened when he saw the damage, it would have sold a lot better.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 1, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They definitely should have made some sort of mention about the projected effects that would happen because of the attack. Talk about potential crop losses with the amount of dust in the air or something.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Kaedric posted:

in the book the meeting with Amos was lame

Well I can tell you why they changed it, then. How it played out in the show worked well, he's an old friend who wants to hear Amos out but is also justifiably nervous about meeting this guy this way.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly, I can't remember.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

His first guest is Werner Herzog.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
erich's so close to matching how i figured he was from the book but the actor just isn't quite getting there, for pretty much the reasons kaedric said

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
They needed a scene to show why a soft spoken armless guy could rise to mobboss of a criminal organization. For example that he's violent and unstable because he shoots one of his henchmen for a tiny inconvenience. It does look like he just applied to the job with an MBA in Risk Analysis and Strategy

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Bedshaped posted:

They needed a scene to show why a soft spoken armless guy could rise to mobboss of a criminal organization. For example that he's violent and unstable because he shoots one of his henchmen for a tiny inconvenience. It does look like he just applied to the job with an MBA in Risk Analysis and Strategy

they did. Amos put him there. after that and he's smart enough and good enough to his people that they stuck around.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the first scene with Erich is him explicitly testing him

you don't need the writers to tell you "Erich probably had a way of killing Amos if he picked up the gun and failed the test", he did it on purpose and was in control in that scene and it's quite easy to imagine what the outcome would've been if Amos did something else

anyways i think he's been a standout new character and i've really liked how that actor has delivered on the role, also:

https://twitter.com/jacobdmundell/status/1352411231349583873

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 1, 2021

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah I think Erich's fine? He isn't a loud, excessively violent, Sorcese-style thug like dominates the popular imagination but the Scorcese lunkheads are always the incompetent morons that get caught. The mob bosses who actually run their operations properly you never even hear about, because they're unassuming nerds who lived comfortably in a detached suburban house for 40 years and never see the inside of a court room. Erich doesn't need to personally break people's kneecaps, he has people for that, his job is to do the nerd poo poo like paperwork and logistics that keeps the muscle functioning.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bedshaped posted:

You're genuinely suggesting the character would be improved by making him an erratic, unpleasable psychopath?

And that this would help justify his existence as a competent leader?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I get that he's a little hard to buy as a criminal mastermind but I don't think having him casually execute subordinates is the way to go lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's actually refreshing that he is not a grizzled cliché who shits on his subordinates to act tough

With this said I'm still not convinced by teh actor, he's so-so so far