Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think they played up Luke's astonishment at the bullet only barely penetrating the suit a bit too much for that to be nothing. It seems to me there's probably something either inherently special about Ryan or something we don't know about the kryptonite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm trying to remember, Kate got that kryptonite fragment from the evil Bruce Wayne she met during Crisis right? Maybe alternate dimension kryptonite works differently?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

howe_sam posted:

I'm trying to remember, Kate got that kryptonite fragment from the evil Bruce Wayne she met during Crisis right? Maybe alternate dimension kryptonite works differently?

Maybe swapping dimensions transformed it into x-kryptonite, that's harmless to kryptonians but gives superpowers to humans.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I don't think Alice has ever really been the problem in and of herself, but rather the interplay between her and Kate that resulted in this weird frenemy thing they had going on for most of the season. With Kate gone we have a Batwoman for whom Alice is just the leader of the gang that murdered her mum, and so the show can progress without the sister baggage.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Phylodox posted:

Maybe swapping dimensions transformed it into x-kryptonite, that's harmless to kryptonians but gives superpowers to humans.

The Meteor Freaks are back!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey maybe this show just still sucks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

muscles like this! posted:

Although it is also pretty clear that the cowl still requires a lot more work than just taking off and putting it on seeing as there's a cut whenever it happens.
It was extremely obvious that it wasn't going to fit over her hair, and it was made even more obvious when she took it off.

The Lord Bude posted:

I don't think Alice has ever really been the problem in and of herself, but rather the interplay between her and Kate that resulted in this weird frenemy thing they had going on for most of the season. With Kate gone we have a Batwoman for whom Alice is just the leader of the gang that murdered her mum, and so the show can progress without the sister baggage.
There's still the huge issue that she's extremely recognisable and notorious, and just walks around in public without any kind of disguise. And she often shows up to talk to the good guys and they just let her get away every time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

I think they played up Luke's astonishment at the bullet only barely penetrating the suit a bit too much for that to be nothing. It seems to me there's probably something either inherently special about Ryan or something we don't know about the kryptonite.

I don't know, think he overplayed it, after all, from his angle he can't see what's going on, all he knows is the Batsuit got breached, Ryan could be dead, and it's directly his fault. And as far as the bullet not going through her or whatever, Hush didn't fire it out of his railgun from last season or anything, bullets don't shoot all the way through people all the time.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Haven't watched anything beyond last year's crossover - will this fill the Arrow sized hole in my heart?

And is this like good Arrow or bad arrow (Season 6)?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Narcissus1916 posted:

Haven't watched anything beyond last year's crossover - will this fill the Arrow sized hole in my heart?

If this is like anything, I'd say it's closer to, like, the old Birds of Prey show. It feels more like a precursor to Arrow, like something made for syndication and aired on Sunday afternoons on SyFy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Narcissus1916 posted:

It's not as bad as worst Arrow but it is not as good as Arrow's highs either. I suppose there is no better time to jump on as now, with a new protagonist, but as someone who watches the show regularly, I'd recommend not watching and checking in around midseason to see if they've turned this into something interesting.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I'm just glad that the actress playing Alice still seems to be having a blast chewing on the scenery.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm just glad that the actress playing Alice still seems to be having a blast chewing on the scenery.

I feel like they should have Alice's character make a heel turn, but at this point they wrote her as so irredeemable it might be extremely difficult (I mean, they did it with Dahrk and Merlyn, but it took a while).

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Xelkelvos posted:

I feel like they should have Alice's character make a heel turn, but at this point they wrote her as so irredeemable it might be extremely difficult (I mean, they did it with Dahrk and Merlyn, but it took a while).

That'd be a "Face" turn. She's already a heel.

I'm gonna jump in a hole now.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Oops. Yeah. Face turn.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Send her to the Time Idiots!

Checked out the first episode of the season based on nothing but a love for watching shows handle with incredibly awkward cast firings.

I liked the new girl, even when she was making really weird contradictory speeches like "I'm not a symbol... [here are all the things I symbolise]". She makes me laugh.

Most of the other heroes are painfully bad, particularly Dougray Scott. "No I don't care, Commissioner, you've got to find my daughter!" That was the take they went with???

Alice was, far and away, the best member of the cast. So yeah. Send her to Legends.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Using Legends as a place to transfer cast members who are too good to fire but whose stories have run their course is an excellent idea and should happen more. They could expand it beyond the Arrowverse too, because there are so many shows that keep a character around long past the point where they have any plausible reason for still being there just because the fans really like them. You could have a whole crossover world where fun characters are plucked out of their universes and tasked with... whatever excuse you need to send them on adventures together.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
This episode was great and it just proves that Ruby Rose was bringing it down.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm only four episodes into the first season and I really only have two thoughts. 1) they clearly did not inherit Arrow's fight choreography and 2) The actress playing Alice is exponentially better than 90% of the cast

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Alice is always going to be a problem for this show because the character is irredeemable but the actor is definitely the most talented person in it, or at least is the one who has been enabled to demonstrate their talent the most. It probably helps that half of her scenes to date are spent opposite Ruby Rose, who could make Herman Munster look like Marlon Brando by comparison.
Shifting her off to the Legends probably would be a good move; charismatic scum fits in perfectly there without needing much explanation.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

pressedbunny posted:

Alice is always going to be a problem for this show because the character is irredeemable but the actor is definitely the most talented person in it, or at least is the one who has been enabled to demonstrate their talent the most. It probably helps that half of her scenes to date are spent opposite Ruby Rose, who could make Herman Munster look like Marlon Brando by comparison.
Shifting her off to the Legends probably would be a good move; charismatic scum fits in perfectly there without needing much explanation.

They really need a Suicide Squad-esque series where they can have all of the anti-villain type character doing morally dubious things as a group for a greater good. Make it a DCCW version of Gail Simone's Secret Six. Move characters who have the charisma and talent but don't have a place on their show that makes much sense.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 24, 2021

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Did everyone forget to watch the new episode?

I'm enjoying this. I'm legitimately stunned beyond belief that they not only salvaged this show but made it better.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I watched it. It was bad.

Alice continues to just, I guess, teleport around wherever she wants and no one even tries to stop her. Except for another villain, I guess? And the whole thing with the bats was... a thing that happened, I guess. It's supposed to be some mystery as to what Alice was trying to achieve or whatever, but I don't care why Alice is doing this. She just does things. And I also don't care about the former Batwoman's ex-girlfriend's ex-girlfriend, whoever she is; or Kate's dad or any of the people who work for him.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm enjoying this. I'm legitimately stunned beyond belief that they not only salvaged this show but made it better.

Yeah, it was fun. Sure, Alice's scheme was super extra, and like completely in defiance of anything close to reality, but poisoned bats attack Gotham is a perfect Joker scheme, so I went with it. Ryan's personal bad luck with the Crows continues the show's attempts to recreate the first season's conflicts, and here it mostly worked?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Do the action scenes get better? The lack of James Bamford is really hurting these season 1 episodes

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It was nice seeing the Batmobile being driven by Batwoman finally after the premiere last week. And Alice using the bats was a stroke of genius for this show!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was kind of weird that the kryptonite poisoning thing hasn't gone anywhere yet, especially since it gets a callout in the "previously on" segment. Also had to laugh at Sophie completely misunderstanding what Ryan was talking about when mentioning Alice.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Season 2 is keeping up so much momentum by the sheer fact that having a new lead means the cast all have fresh observations to make and can't fall into the CW pattern of rote, filler dialog. Instead you get Luke shouting, "Hello? Black!" at Ryan for wanting to publicly portray Batwoman. Everyone gets to make decisions of some consequence (to be railroaded into the previously planned season arc, to be sure) instead of "there goes Batwoman, doing her Batwoman thing, by the way here's a monologue about grief." I like this new dynamic a lot.

Ryan should've asked Alice if her face could be beaten off, too.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Okay, I like this version of Zsasz

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'm really starting to wonder how they're gonna end this Kate plot. A silhouette and a soundalike? I doubt Ruby Rose recorded anything for them, and almost certainly won't in the future either.

howe_sam posted:

Okay, I like this version of Zsasz

He was VERY good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

I'm really starting to wonder how they're gonna end this Kate plot. A silhouette and a soundalike? I doubt Ruby Rose recorded anything for them, and almost certainly won't in the future either.

He was VERY good.

Like I said, there's two ways out of this self-created snare trap: either cut the cord completely and confirm that Kate is dead, or just do what they should have done from the start and recast Kate Kane. Because Ruby Rose is never going to return to the role after all the crap she endured filming Season 1/Elseworlds/Crisis.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

nine-gear crow posted:

Like I said, there's two ways out of this self-created snare trap: either cut the cord completely and confirm that Kate is dead, or just do what they should have done from the start and recast Kate Kane. Because Ruby Rose is never going to return to the role after all the crap she endured filming Season 1/Elseworlds/Crisis.

I really wish they'd just bite the bullet and reveal that she's dead. Even the option that feels most likely to me - soundalike and a silhouette - doesn't seem like it would actually end well.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

We can add fashion sense to the things Ryan does way better than Kate.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

I really wish they'd just bite the bullet and reveal that she's dead. Even the option that feels most likely to me - soundalike and a silhouette - doesn't seem like it would actually end well.
No matter what they're going for, it's really dumb to try to convince us that there's any possibility of Kate coming back because we know the actor quit and isn't coming back, and if they'd wanted to recast the role they'd just have done that instead of making a new Batwoman. So either Kate's dead and they're just dragging it out for no reason, or she's not dead but there's going to be some bullshit excuse for why she can't be Batwoman any more, and neither of those options is good.

Otherwise, this episode was OK. Zsasz was all right, but the one from Gotham was better. Helped that Alice was out of the way for most of it. But even then they couldn't resist having a scene where someone could have captured her but let her get away again, because that's apparently a mandatory part of every episode.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

What crap did she endure?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

She broke her drat neck.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

howe_sam posted:

She broke her drat neck.

I mean, that's a workplace accident, which could happen in many workplaces. A phrase like 'crap to endure' implies something with a bit more malice, like bullying or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They should use that fake skin poo poo to give Kate a new face.

Then kill her off.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

The Lord Bude posted:

A phrase like 'crap to endure' implies something with a bit more malice, like bullying or something.
The (mostly unsubstantiated) word is she severely underestimated the filming schedule for a weekly 45-50 minute TV show and couldn't keep up.

In any case, she's not a good actress, she doesn't particularly embody the character, and after the last couple of years of various harassment and abuse allegations against her it really does not seem wise to keep pretending there's any chance of her coming back to the show, even if she did want to. Recasting Kate now would completely undermine bringing in Javicia Leslie and this whole second season, so they have to kill Kate/unquestionably confirm Kate's death before the end of this season; the sooner, the better. I'm quite surprised they left any doubt at the end of the first episode, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Or they just ignore it. In ten seasons, some character asks "What ever happened to Kate anyway? Well I guess she did die back then."
Just completely memory hole her. Ryan was always batwoman.
I haven't seen any episodes of this show, so I don't know how viable that is.

By the way, is the show good, now that the lead has been replaced?