Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Daduzi posted:

We haven't seen that story with the bear, right? Is it from a previous comic series or novel or is it just an aside?

It was from a prior adventure, The Black Pearl. I don't know if it was posted on this site or not. What makes the story really work is the fact that Modesty and Willie don't realize that they have to get a bear out of Tibet until about two-thirds of the way into the story, they are only told that they have to retrieve the Black Pearl without being told what it is.

Edit: I just checked, the story was posted in these forums, you can read it here

The_Other fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

The Bloop posted:

I can't imagine there's a better match

I made the joke in many threads past but I always see this.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Mikl posted:

"You will literally die if you don't get your diet under control."
"Eeeeeeeehhhh I can have one more though, right? Right?"

loving hell :cripes:

Overeating can be an addiction. Unlike hard drugs, you can't just not eat again. You gotta take a little every day. But even though your brain is wired to want more, you have to know the arbitrary stopping point!

EasyEW posted:

This is where I usually call for some cloud gazing, but it just occurred to me that Brooke's laughing mouths remind me of the thylacine. So instead: what other animals do Edda's open mouth remind you of? Because if your answer's "human", you're lying.

She has the right number of bottom teeth. That's gotta be worth something.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Buck's gonna die.

Buck is gonna land in the hospital with an 800 blood glucose, survive, and at the end is gonna be like “Gee willikers, I guess I shoulda listened to ya, Doc” and he’ll be fine without any other consequences.

Or it’ll turn into the baby scene from Trainspotting.

Either way, :munch:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm torn about Rex Morgan because it's a really bad idea but I've been there (for different reasons), I've thought that, and I've made those mistakes. Whether you call it habit or addiction, the routine's there tempting.

Your last milkshake has to be your last one, not your next one.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

She has the right number of bottom teeth. That's gotta be worth something.

She never got those wisdoms out, I see. Of course, it's not like her dentist could claim she doesn't have room for them.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EasyEW posted:

This is where I usually call for some cloud gazing, but it just occurred to me that Brooke's laughing mouths remind me of the thylacine. So instead: what other animals do Edda's open mouth remind you of? Because if your answer's "human", you're lying.

Surprised nobody's said "The Langoliers" yet

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is unsafe at any speed.

Working Daze is a repeat.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix got a little off-topic here.

Cul De Sac flies too close to the sun.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Howard Beale posted:

I was curious why Milt Gross would use the common "applesauce" for the bullshit panel instead of his own "Banana Oil!" catchphrase, so I looked it up and it turns out this strip was a month away from Banana Oil's debut. So here he's playing with the concept before he realizes he needs a change of fruit.

It's true - soon the "Applesauce" gag at the end of the strip becomes "Banana Oil." Then the whole comic becomes Banana Oil. An interesting comic strip evolution, and one that gave Gross more flexibility with subjects and characters.

And He Did! (February 4, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (March 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (November 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (March 4, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (August 3, 1935)

Dark Laughter (July 12, 1941)

Mopsy Sunday (April 6, 1947)

Those Were the Days (April 26, 1951)

Wee Pals (April 24, 1965)

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Buck's gonna die.

That's a very real possibility, or would be if this were real. The 375 blood glucose he had on the first test is above the 300 level which puts patients at risk of life-threatening ketoacidosis. (Normal is about 100 and the body controls it tightly). Rex has been unprofessionally casual about this; after a measurement like that there's no need for a fasting test to prove diabetes; it basically *has* to be diabetes, and *immediate* dietary and pharmacological interventions are called for because those levels can genuinely kill you.

So, yeah, chugging down 1000 calories of sugar, exacerbated by french fries, which have lots of starch, really could kill him. (The burger, actually, is not an immediate danger, because it's mostly fat and protein.) And this hazard is partly Rex's fault since he has not made it clear to Buck that with Buck's current status a big sugar bomb could possibly kill him.

Rex Morgan being what it is, Buck's going to have some kind of medical issue from this but will recover.

curtadams fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 1, 2021

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mikl posted:

It's actually a little bit different from that. Ralph and Corrie's mum had moved in together were planning to keep Corrie and raise her as their own, but then the mum died in childbirth and Ralph, realising he couldn't raise Corrie on his own (he was sixteen at the time) gave her up for adoption.

The reason Ralph is trying to kill Kevin so often is that he wants "to spare Kell the heartbreak or being married to a herbivore."

Okay, that's a bit different from what I remember. I still like the implication that the guilt from his girlfriend dying and having to give up his daughter for adoption is what made Ralph develop empathy.

EasyEW posted:

Still trying to remember how old Funky is supposed to be that he's getting an operation for glaucoma.

I want to say Funky, his wife and their classmates are supposed to be mid-40s to early-50s? Lisa died twenty years ago, and Les looked like in his early 20s with baby Summer back then. It's really weird how Les and Cindy look all right for their age while Batiuk depicts Funky and the rest as the elderly with failing health.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Jun 15-16, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 23-26, 1988)

Robbie and Bobby

(Aug 20, 2018)

(Aug 22, 2018)

(Aug 24, 2018)

(Aug 27, 2018)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Obligatory:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Slammy posted:

Huh, Fredric Wertham showing through here.

Today was a weird day where I just couldn't bring myself to do my comics (I spent most of it playing around with hex map generation), so that's why my comics are late. Sorry about that.

The Shadow and Flyin' Jenny Aug. 17th, 1940

Axa

My God, who could have seen this coming? Like, everyone except Axa thinks there's something suspicious going on.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Drawn and Quartered - 1942

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

DC Money
Feb 24, 2007
I'm a fancy lad.

The_Other posted:

Circus Windows Mildred's gonna spew!

Everything John Allison does is pretty great - but in panel 2 he perfectly captured the - "oh no i just realized that i drank way too much and things are about to get...decidedly ungood" look - it made me feel a bit of sympathy nausea myself...

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

Not enjoying the last few weeks of the Phantom just sitting and watching approvingly while a cop beats the hell out of two unarmed suspects. Yes, we who read this thing obsessively know that what these guys did to the cop was horrific. But that was months ago and lots of people probably just dip in and out.

Also, even if the criminals are terrible, we shouldn't encourage cops to mete out their own justice. That's what the courts are for.

The Phantom is a white guy lording it over african tribes. Sometimes he fight against the Brotherhood of Evil Asian Stereotypes. I'm not shocked he gets off of watching people being beaten.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

PainterofCrap posted:

Drawn and Quartered - 1942

Exquisite.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/31/01

Rob, unsurprisingly, is a NPR listener.

Brenda Starr 10/22-24/45

Smokey Stover 5/21/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Selachian fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 1, 2021

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Strontium posted:

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary :drac:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mikl posted:

Comic Strips 2021: Beware the Vengeance of the Forgotten Bones!

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Sorry, sick all weekend

Garfield, Odie scrolling through dog buttholes, normal Sunday

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

readingatwork posted:

(Aug 24, 2018)

That's not GWAR at all! Where's Blothar?
I appreciate that Sunday Monty.

And, I'm the girl that posted Dilbert, and we had that long discussion. And still posts OBH. So, OBH isn't *USUALLY* lovely. But I'll try my best to keep tabs on it from now on. And skip or just link the ones that seem lovely (be it about the poor, transphobic, whatever.) But if OBH somehow pulls off a lovely joke this week? Then I'll probably drop it because gently caress that.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
There are about 4 unique panels between those 3 Garfields including a Sunday. Also, it really was another cat burglar Heathcliff.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You're honestly gonna be linking OBH more often than not.

For what it's worth: that particular strip struck me as an innocent "kids oversimplify their arguments" dialogue, but I very deliberately say "that particular strip" because Detorie sure enough uses his kid characters as mouthpieces to call out THE WORLD'S MORAL CORRUPTION a whole drat lot of the time (the other half it's his probable self-insert grandpa). Mostly what strikes me is that he's at once coy and incompetent about it. He uses strawman characters but they build on stereotypes that are about 20 years old and three steps removed from anything remotely realistic. I find it hard to take seriously even as an attempt at hating The Other. I'm not sure he'd know what a trans person is if you asked him, except "someone evil from the city". His best idea would probably be Dame Edna.

I think it's by far the most actively hateful comic in the thread at the moment and not even very good at it, but it's also not like it's got any redeeming features like outstanding art, an original setting, or even just the commercial success Dilbert has/had. It's Grandpas Facebook Posts: The Comic. About all I personally get out of it is witnessing the creator clearly decline but it doesn't go fast enough.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 1, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Bruceski posted:

I'm torn about Rex Morgan because it's a really bad idea but I've been there (for different reasons), I've thought that, and I've made those mistakes. Whether you call it habit or addiction, the routine's there tempting.

Your last milkshake has to be your last one, not your next one.

You can still have milkshakes with diabetes, if you prepare for the meal with fast acting insulin.

Or hell just get everyone closed loop insulin pumps.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

riderchop posted:

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Mwhahah, I have both! Now if only there was a safe way to have three other people over to play it with.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Low-hanging fruit.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (May 10-14, 1999)

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Slammy posted:

And in 3 years, the Comics Code goes into effect (thanks in part to overreaction to crime and horror comics), bowdlerizing comics for the next half-century. Although plenty of sex and violence slipped in, if I remember the 90s.

Cobalt-60 fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 1, 2021

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Classic service returns tomorrow.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Slammy posted:

And He Did! (February 4, 1918)

She would get the same reaction today. The same gown would cost $2,570.97.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mikl posted:

It's actually a little bit different from that. Ralph and Corrie's mum had moved in together were planning to keep Corrie and raise her as their own, but then the mum died in childbirth and Ralph, realising he couldn't raise Corrie on his own (he was sixteen at the time) gave her up for adoption.

The reason Ralph is trying to kill Kevin so often is that he wants "to spare Kell the heartbreak or being married to a herbivore."

So basically he's the one person in the world to have some shred of empathy and he's treated as an incompetent loser for it. Why does every detail learned about Holbrook's comics always make both the art and artist look worse?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
For the record, I've been going back through old threads, and in March of 2019, I said something like "Wow, I used to kind of like One Big Happy but it's been getting more and more lovely and conservative lately." So the decline has been steady, and the "Didn't we used to like this?" conversation has been repeated several times.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Zerilan posted:

So basically he's the one person in the world to have some shred of empathy and he's treated as an incompetent loser for it. Why does every detail learned about Holbrook's comics always make both the art and artist look worse?

I like how he's trying to spare his sister the pain of losing her husband by trying to constantly kill him.

Anyone else here watch horrible Lifetime movies with their mom? There was one, ages ago, called the Promise Keeper's Daughter, about a doctor who told his wife that one of their twins had been stillborn, but the other was fine. Well turns out the baby wasn't stillborn, she had Down's Syndrome, and since his own sister had had it, and other health complications in infancy, she had died, and he wanted to spare his wife that pain. It being a Lifetime movie, he gave the baby to his nurse, but she kept and raised the girl. Now it also being a Lifetime movie, he refused to have sex with his wife ever again for fear of making another baby like that, and had little to do with his son, but when he got letters from the nurse showing how happy and good the kid was, he begged to get her returned. How he planned to explain it to his estranged wife and son who hated him, no idea. Because he died before he could tell her, and his wife and son only found out the girl was alive when she was in her thirties. So there was little closure and the dude got away with ruining several lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Strontium posted:

Yesss, goooood.